AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fads that have taken animesuki by storm (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31843)

Calca 2006-05-04 11:12

Fads that have taken animesuki by storm

I wondered, what is it that makes an anime popular on here. Every year, there is one anime that seems to overtake everyone and before you know it, 1 out of 2 people change their avatars to that corresponding anime and the topic blows up in popularity.

This year that anime is Suzumiya Haruhi (which as you can see I have been swept up in)

Previous years have had Mahoraba (with Kozue avatars being very popular), Naruto, Bleach, Rozen Maiden (which will probably get it's own topic if a 3rd season is made), and AIR among others.

I wonder if a year from now, which anime will take our avatars by storm.

C.A. 2006-05-04 11:24

Yes long live Haruhiism,

though many other anime have been extremely popular, I've never seen another anime that whipped a storm so quickly. The way each episode can generate so much discussion is just phenomenal and importantly its a comedy. You don't see other comedies starting discussions on quantum physics and such.

I can't imagine another anime craze in the future that will be able to form a 'religion' like Haruhiism. Its got to be really amazing, but I don't want to experience that so quickly, I want to be a Haruhist forever lol

Animesuki wasn't around when NGE was created right? I would have been a hot topic if animesuki was there.

Vexx 2006-05-04 11:45

Many things can make an anime "popular" .... but usually some sort of quality lurks beneath the superficial. It can be compelling drama, infectious comedy, hard science that doesn't treat the viewer like a moron (Haruhi might actually contain all these things in one show - bit early to see any drama yet though) - and imo, importantly that the writers treat their characters with respect. I've had it with grade C material that takes good character designs and jerks them around with no consideration of how their character might actually behave.

Mahoraba was true to its characters and it appears that Haruhi will be as well.

ZeusIrae 2006-05-04 13:37

I wasn't there at the time but I tink KGNE was one of those,even today the forum is still alive.
Marias-sama ga miteru had its own forum.Air too but it was a game first so perhaps it doesn't count,monster had too.I think I start to see a pattern.
From my experience,people here like drama,moe and everything that looks cool.Combine two of these caracteristics and you have a hit.And people here are hard to satisfy.

But believe me,Suzumya Haruhi's forum isn't very fast compared to the pure insanity that was the gundam forum around GSD ep28.

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2006-05-04 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeusIrae
But believe me,Suzumya Haruhi's forum isn't very fast compared to the pure insanity that was the gundam forum around GSD ep28.

Trust me, most of us won't have wasted our time in that thread if we knew GSD would become the mess that it is now. We bashed the show so much, we ourselves have become sick of complaining about it.

ZeusIrae 2006-05-04 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Trust me, most of us won't have wasted our time in that thread if we knew GSD would become the mess that it is now. We bashed the show so much, we ourselves have become sick of complaining about it.

Yes,I know this(I stoped around ep40,after all).Doesn't change the fact it was the most active.Anyway,to really know what's popular here we need a mod.And if we get our hands on one we might as well ask a few other questions.
So dear mods, what's popular?
Was it always like this or did it change with time?

xris 2006-05-04 15:28

Quote:

So dear mods, what's popular?
Was it always like this or did it change with time?

Indeed, what is popular :)

The main problem with this that I'm sure the term "popular" means different things to different people. And it's going to be very subjective, enjoying a new series almost naturally makes many people somewhat biased towards the perceived popularity of the series.

One side effect of this is of "noticing" the popularity of avatars. A lot of this can be down to the fact that it's linked to the fact that you've just changed your av to that from the same series. I know a similar thing happens whenever I get a new car, I suddenly start noticing the same make and model everywhere and I start thinking "Wow, I never realised this model was so popular". In reality, I'm sure it's not actually super popular as my perception is telling me, it's just that I notice and recognise (at a subconscious level) because it's new (and that I've just purchased it). I'm sure at some level the same might apply to people "noticing" the popularity of their own avatar.

As to the popularity of series that have had their own forum, I'll have a look back at my records and see if the current series (such as Higurashi, Kashimashi, School Rumble, Suzumiya Haruhi, Utawarerumono, etc) were as popular as older series (such as Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, KonoMini, Maria-sama, Midori no Hibi, Monster, My HiME / My Otome, Shuffle!). I suspect not actually.

DaFool 2006-05-04 15:35

You know there are some people who only participate in subforum discussions. People like me on the other hand stick to mainforum discussions as I generally do not want to nitpick particular items on particular episodes.

I suspect also the pre-collapse animesuki had more lively subforum discussions, but I haven't noticed since I only recently bothered to touch subforums.

Catgirls 2006-05-04 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFool
I suspect also the pre-collapse animesuki had more lively subforum discussions [...]

Hmmm...interesting...why do you think that is?

Shay 2006-05-04 15:49

Kinda Off Topic.

Talking about reputaion was a pretty big fad.

Chibi's sig thread at one point was smoking.

Oh and just wait until the Naruto fillers finish. They'll all be back.

And Jappi...

ZeusIrae 2006-05-04 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shay
Kinda Off Topic.

Talking about reputaion was a pretty big fad.

Chibi's sig thread at one point was smoking.

Oh and just wait until the Naruto fillers finish. They'll all be back.

And Jappi...

Ah,the rep system.I lost most of my little rep in the bigcrash and I don't use it anymore.Giving good and bad points doesn't amuse me anymore.Or I am lazy.

Jappi?the one who always had absolutely heretical display of female flesh in his sig and ava?Did he even venture once out of general chat?

I just checked the older series discussion,if you exclude FMA which is a special case with 50 ep.The biggest forum is myhime/myotome,but I don't think it's the most popular of the last five years.It was two series,each 26 ep(the two together totalize more post then FMA)on the other hand if you compare the number of ep with the number of post,the absolute winner is without doubt.................................
Spoiler:

You're free to point any mistake.

I of course exclude Gundam,one piece,naruto and bleach forums that are very popular but the size pf their respective fields(lenght of the show,number of series etc)is simply to big to make any precise measures.

Shay 2006-05-04 16:34

Elfen Lied had quite a following for only a 13 ep series.

Quote:

Jappi?the one who always had absolutely heretical display of female flesh in his sig and ava?Did he even venture once out of general chat?

He made the most ridiculous threads. :heh: Most were swiftly dealt with by our great mods though.

NoSanninWa 2006-05-04 16:36

Quote:

Ummm... no. While JAppi had his faults, a overwhelming love of female flesh is not one of them. He doesn't even like female flesh much. Cute boys are much more his style.

You're thinking of either hobobaggins or JoJo'Star.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shay
Elfen Lied had quite a following for only a 13 ep series.

It sure did. And the thread still hasn't completely stopped growing. People still want to ask what was up with the ending. (Lord I wish they'd just read the answers to the last dozen people who asked that question.)

ZeusIrae 2006-05-04 16:54

what AS members like.

Only ressources is post count of older series forum.The influence of the great crash on the data is unknown.

Chrno crusade which is considered a good action series has 64 pts.FMP forum with no less than 3 series has 1963 post.The total number of pts is unknown but is lower than 30 pts.

Marimite is odd with a total of 115 pts wich I just realize is actually more than shuffle.
Air and Monster are among the least popular.

Midorinohis did quite well with 103 points.

The winner KNE has more than 504 pts.

I thin we can safely say that the AS members have a preference for drama and comedy.With notable exception such as FMA with 245 pts.Bleach has suprisingly only 117pts.

Here it is.
We like drama,we want more drama...and comedy.That's my conclusion.

edit:;I am thinking perhaps we should do an history of AS forum.You know....most notable series,most notable member,greatest threads,bigest joke etc.

Newtyped 2006-05-04 16:56

what is harushiim?
Ive never heard of it ><
you must lemme on in the fad lol

Catgirls 2006-05-04 17:02

Quote:

I thin we can safely say that the AS members have a preference for drama and comedy.With notable exception such as FMA with 245 pts.Bleach has suprisingly only 117pts.

Here it is.
We like drama,we want more drama...and comedy.That's my conclusion.

I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. We lost a year's worth of posts when the forums were hacked in Dec. 2005. A lot of posts were lost.

/edit: My mistake...you did mention the crash in your oringinal post.

ZeusIrae 2006-05-04 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newtyped
what is harushiim?
Ive never heard of it ><
you must lemme on in the fad lol

download and understand,young one.
See for yourself,and discover eternal life and infinite wisdom.Join the DITE overmind.

catgirls:I thougt most of it was recovered?I understand why FMA's score was so low.If the year 2005 vanished,the histery that followed the appearence of the nude twins was lost in oblivion.So I wasted my time and made a fool of myself.:upset: great.

Kamui4356 2006-05-04 17:19

Quote:

Air and Monster are among the least popular.

The AIR forum was completely wiped out, so you can't really judge it's popularity now. I seem to remember it being very popular though. I think it was even called the most extensive english language discussion of AIR in the thread about the forum hack/crash. Don't know it that was true, but if so, it was a huge loss.

Shuffle got hit pretty hard too. The discussions for the first 20 episodes were lost. Though with most of the other threads being revived after the crash, it's impossible to say what the popularity would have been.

Daniel E. 2006-05-04 17:32

Kinda off topic as well

Lol, a 'constant' fad around here would be to start threads asking:

WTF is mkv & H.264!? :heh: :heh:

Calca 2006-05-04 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel E.
Lol, a 'constant' fad around here would be to start threads asking:

WTF is mkv & H.264!? :heh: :heh:

lol

"Why won't my player play this!!!???"

"Do you have CCCP?"