AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any ska heads in the house (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=3176)

XHeartEyesYouX 2003-12-20 23:39

Any ska heads in the house

any kids on here like ska music...if so which ska band is your fave...which is your least fave....when was the last time u skanked like a biyotch..i'm going soon

gravitation 2003-12-20 23:41

well there is a thread for music somewhere in the general chat but maybe this should go in the music thread, theres a search button at the top ^_^

p.s Ska is okey

FinFangFoom 2003-12-20 23:44

I like ska, although I probably don't listen to it as much as I used to. Our local trendy Seattle music station tried to cash in on it's popularity and kind of ruined it for me. They had a SKAderday night (stupid play on Saturday Night) where they would play nothing but ska music for several hours straight, but all they played was Real Big Fish, No Doubt, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and Sublime over and over again. They also had a announcement they played every commercial break explaining what ska is (they claim in an annoying voice "IT'S THAT PUNK ROCK THING!! WITH HORNS!!!") So pretty soon everyone was saying that they love ska.

Personally my favorite Ska bands are, Skankin Pickle (first ska band I saw live) Easy Big Fella (love them a lot live, they were at my first ska show too, havn't heard a lot of their recorded stuff) and Operation Ivy (if you count them as ska) and probably some more if I sat down and thought about it.

I don't know why I dislike Mustard Plug so much, I bought one of their albums because I heard they where so great but i guess I was really disappointed more than anything.

How about you? How would you answer your own questions?

Kawaii_Sennin 2003-12-20 23:55

Ska Head since I was 12!!! One of my fave ska bands is Checkmate. J-Ska is pretty good also.

FinFangFoom 2003-12-20 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawaii_Sennin
Ska Head since I was 12!!! One of my fave ska bands is Checkmate. J-Ska is pretty good also.

And by J-Ska im guessing you mean Japanese ska, what are some of your favorite Japanese groups? I've never heard any. :(

XHeartEyesYouX 2003-12-21 00:01

i is d king of the skank...but these days with the onslought of hardcore bands i'm starting to learn how mosh "hardXcore" but yeah i keep it real with the skanking...i mainly like british ska bands because the ones from the u.s are too punk (very few people realise the diff between punk n ska..fools) I just love how the brit bands keep it real with the thumping bass lines and the upstroke on the high strings....you guys shud check out
farse
capdown
headroom
jessejames
that is some gewd ska sheet..
oh yeah which do u use more when skanking...your arms and head or ur legs and arm....i'm in between realy

XHeartEyesYouX 2003-12-21 00:04

L.I.V are kinda ska...i only heard one song buti dunno..ska?..just stick to the brit bands man...always brit

Kawaii_Sennin 2003-12-21 00:09

This is one of the Japanese ska bands I listen tohttp://www.projectj.net/skapara.htm. They're pretty good

FinFangFoom 2003-12-21 00:21

I have to agree with you, ska and punk pretty much go hand and hand in the states. Although Skankin Pickle was my favorite (they mixed ska/punk/metal/ and even 80's buttrock sometimes :heh: ) If you get get away from the punk mix my favorite is probably Hepcat (although their last album was terrible) Easy Big Fella or Let's go Bowling. Yeah, 3 moon ska bands but there are so many 3rd rate crap ska bands here (or there were 7 or 8 years ago when I was going to shows) that it was to frustrating looking for them. I'll have to check out the ones you mentioned, the only British band I can think of that I listen to is The Business, but their deffinatly not ska :heh:

XHeartEyesYouX 2003-12-21 00:26

homes...its all about the brittish ska..you need to get some farse in ya blood

FinFangFoom 2003-12-21 00:29

Out of curiousity does anyone hear watch Read or Die TV? The ending song has ska music and I noticed that the song is by a girl named Kazami with Home Grown. There is a ska punk band that pretty much only plays punk now in America that is/was pretty popular called home grown, does anyone know if they are the same?

gravitation 2003-12-21 00:33

Home grown!!!i remember them! theywere good!!! no great!! :D Do u remember them XHeartEyesYouX!!?!? well of course ya do but still...

XHeartEyesYouX 2003-12-21 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravitation
Home grown!!!i remember them! theywere good!!! no great!! :D Do u remember them XHeartEyesYouX!!?!? well of course ya do but still...

firstly...call me chaz...
and secondly home grown are no longer ska...they official changed to emo and album or so ago..and according to my source...read or die is pretty new...(that chick she controls tampons or summmat) and u know....well u kno....you kno....they wouldnt have made a new...ska song if they were emo...tach...i've gone off some emo...its just whiney bastards...u know today on another forum soome *cough* was calling me emo...i had to get betty to back me up...and she did...betty is cool

gravitation 2003-12-21 00:41

Quote:

and secondly home grown are no longer ska...they official changed to emo and album or so ago..and according to my source...read or die is pretty new...(that chick she controls tampons or summmat) and u know....well u kno....you kno....they wouldnt have made a new...ska song if they were emo...tach...i've gone off some emo...its just whiney bastards...u know today on another forum soome *cough* was calling me emo...i had to get betty to back me up...and she did...betty is cool
XHeartEyesYouX i wont call u chaz and secondly...no one knows who betty is!?!? baka! R.O.D TV is pretty new, been avaliable for a while tho, tis a good show(seen a couple of eps, the ova thing seemed better tho)

FinFangFoom 2003-12-21 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by XHeartEyesYouX
homes...its all about the brittish ska..you need to get some farse in ya blood

I just downloaded 'Eggs is Eggs' off the Moonska website (I guess Moon Ska gets all the good ones) I have to say that does kick ass! :D I'll definatly have to watch out for those guys since it sounds like they tour with a lot of bands I've already have seen live and would like to see again anyways (Mad Caddies, Bouncing Souls, H2O, Good Riddance) that way I can get their album without paying $17 + tax (most bands are $10 at the shows with no tax ;) ) Damn, I'll have to check out the others on your list to.

FinFangFoom 2003-12-21 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by XHeartEyesYouX
and secondly home grown are no longer ska...they official changed to emo and album or so ago..and according to my source...read or die is pretty new...(that chick she controls tampons or summmat) and u know....well u kno....you kno....they wouldnt have made a new... ska song if they were emo...tach...i've gone off some emo...its just whiney bastards...u know today on another forum soome *cough* was calling me emo...i had to get betty to back me up ...and she did...betty is cool

Confusing post but I hate to burst your bubble but this is from the Official Moon Ska website under Farse "The band then proceeded to write new material, which despite influences ranging from Iron Maiden to Bob Marley, all came over as a fairly unique blend of Old School Hardcore, Emo and Ska. "

Don't worry I won't tell anyone :heh: . Personally I didn't detect any emo in the song I heard. Plus it's still possible they wrote the music to the song if they are on the same label (they're on a major label last I heard) , and especially if they are anime fans.

Dopeskills 2003-12-21 00:53

Ska is soooo 1997...

Seems like a lot of the local ska bands that I knew have ditched their horns and switched to emo.

XHeartEyesYouX 2003-12-21 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinFangFoom
I just downloaded 'Eggs is Eggs' off the Moonska website (I guess Moon Ska gets all the good ones) I have to say that does kick ass! :D I'll definatly have to watch out for those guys since it sounds like they tour with a lot of bands I've already have seen live and would like to see again anyways (Mad Caddies, Bouncing Souls, H2O, Good Riddance) that way I can get their album without paying $17 + tax (most bands are $10 at the shows with no tax ;) ) Damn, I'll have to check out the others on your list to.

taking on the world one kid at a time..whose next..you want ska..I got ska...u gotta download shit by capdown
adequte seven
mad caddies
old skool goldfinger (they turned punk two years ago)
old skool reel big fish (they suck now)
u know what...just go out and buy everything off moon ska europe and golf records...

Segahekui 2003-12-21 16:03

dude.. i love ska, actually.. my nick in my skool is Ska-Dude.. i know i know, kinda lame.. actually.. i hate that NICK!!!
but its not as bad when said.
anyways, fav ska band was like LTJ until they went less ska with their new cd. .
2nd would be like swinging utters

FinFangFoom 2003-12-21 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segahekui
dude.. i love ska, actually.. my nick in my skool is Ska-Dude.. i know i know, kinda lame.. actually.. i hate that NICK!!!
but its not as bad when said.
anyways, fav ska band was like LTJ until they went less ska with their new cd. .
2nd would be like swinging utters

Less than Jake was a great ska/punk band, my very first ska show they opened for Skankin Pickle along with Easy Big Fella, and they just blew me away. But I'm a little curious about your listing Swinging Utters as a ska band, I think they're a great punk band (I have at least 4 of their albums) but I didn't think they played any ska. If they did I'd love to hear it though.