AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   DVD Player vs DVD Drive (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=81428)

Dante of the Inferno 2009-05-09 03:10

DVD Player vs DVD Drive

So I have a new DVD that supposedly has no region restrictions. It WILL play on my old Panasonic 3-in-1 television. However, it doesn't recognize on my Lenovo R61 that has a Blu-Ray/DVD/CD drive. It also won't recognize on a DVD drive one of my slightly older computers. It WILL play on one of my friends laptops, also a Lenovo, with a regular DVD drive.

I figure that it's a codec issue. We both have CCCP. What I don't understand is, if the only problem is not reading the files, why can't it even recognize the disc (yes, you can hear the drive spinning and "try" to read it)?

Has anyone had an issue with something similar? If it is a codec issue, is there a pack with more codecs available?

chikorita157 2009-05-09 10:40

Depending on what DVD format you burn it on, DVD+R or DVD-R, some drives might not recognize DVD+R, but most will recognize DVD-R since it's most compatible.

Try accessing the contents of the drive. If you can see it, then download CCCP Insurgent and post the results of the log.

Dante of the Inferno 2009-05-09 11:22

It doesn't "see" the disc, or the files on it. It tries very hard to recognize it because you hear the disc spin, but it never becomes accessible.

I hadn't thought that the disc itself might be incompatible. I'll take a look to see if any of my devices read DVD+R

-KarumA- 2009-05-09 18:00

well if it cannot see the disc then it is certainly not a codec problem but one resulted during burning so yes it could be the DVD+R thing that might cause this

Shadow Kira01 2009-05-09 19:14

Spoiler:

And to answer your question..

Is the disc scratched? I would advise you to not try it too many times if your laptop drive cannot read the disc because it will permanently damage your drive if you attempt to load a non-readable disc too many times. My laptop drive stopped working after I had attempted to play an used copy of the Final Fantasy VII with the acoustic silencer turned on with ePSXe. If I had used an ISO instead, my laptop drive would still be in perfect shape.

It took a few tries of swirling and reading until it worked and when it did, it generated a very loud noise which is why I had to enable the acoustic silencer. And the fact that I never finished FFVII, yet the drive dies before it indicates that you shouldn't attempt what I had. If your new dvd don't work, give up! Its not worth it.. The drive is much more valuable than a single DVD. If possible, try to get another one.

Dante of the Inferno 2009-06-01 22:43

The disc is not scratched, and it does work (perfectly) what is ironically the oldest dvd player in the house, my 9-year old Panasonic 3-in-1.

After researching the website where the disc was purchased, it says that all discs sold on it are FX or MI or MAC sets, as opposed to a VCD.

I recently ran across another disc set that wouldn't run, but I found a work-around by trying to copy the ISO using Ashampoo. I tried it with the problem disc, but that still didn't work.

If nothing else, that FX/MI/MAC thing might be a clue.