AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Shana (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 3 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107756)

Kairin 2011-10-21 16:18

Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 3 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Shakugan no Shana III, Episode 3.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Game8910 2011-10-21 16:44

Mostly a recap episode for those that have forgotten what happened on S1 and S2 but the last couple of minutes of the episode were just great. I am absolutely loving the work JC Staff has been doing on this final season so far, lets hope they keep this up.

Demi. 2011-10-21 18:29

I hope that's just one of your funny jokes.

Reckoner 2011-10-21 18:50

Wait.... No really, I hope this is a joke.

Rising Dragon 2011-10-21 19:03

The majority of people complained about having forgotten most of season 2, so this should help in that regard...

MeoTwister5 2011-10-21 19:12

Maybe they're only recapping the "good" parts? :p

Demi. 2011-10-21 19:40

I wasn't aware that season 2 had any good parts. ;-;

Rising Dragon 2011-10-21 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demi. (Post 3818629)
I wasn't aware that season 2 had any good parts. ;-;

More than people give it credit for.

Shadow Angel 2011-10-21 20:07

Who wants to bet some of next week's eppy will be recap as well?

Marcus H. 2011-10-21 20:13

I know the summary for the next episode. It will not be such a case.
Oh god, I think I'm starting to speak like Kodaka's sister. D:

Archon_Wing 2011-10-21 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rising Dragon (Post 3818596)
The majority of people complained about having forgotten most of season 2, so this should help in that regard...

No they didn't.

At least I'm not as fortunate. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus H. (Post 3818666)
I know the summary for the next episode. It will not be such a case.
Oh god, I think I'm starting to speak like Kodaka's sister. D:

The power of moe compels you!

alvinkhorfire 2011-10-21 22:06

It was great to watch another SnS episode again. :D

Spoiler for Comments About Certain Events:

The recap should serve as a good build-up for the next few episodes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Angel (Post 3818658)

I agree with Marcus H.. All of us would not want to miss the next few episodes. You just have to let J.C.Staff set up the foundation of the story well, before we start moving towards the exciting parts.

Dr. Casey 2011-10-21 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game8910 (Post 3818447)
Mostly a recap episode for those that have forgotten what happened on S1 and S2

What.

Why.

This episode looked really nice based on last week's preview, too. Oh well... I guess a recap will come in handy, since it has been a while since watching the first two seasons (Early 2009).

Quote:

More than people give it credit for.
Yeah, I think the whole second season was just one long good part. :[

Quote:

Maybe J.C. Staff's going to try and create a troll that outdoes Endless Eight, and make the entire season from this point on nothing but recap episodes. :cool:

Nightengale 2011-10-21 22:51

Let's not be jerks. :p

Frankly, the episode wasn't so bad. It felt somewhat unfulfilling only because the whole plot tweest of LastBoss!Yuuji did cram itself relatively badly into the start of S3.

And it's not so much a recap episode really, more like an episode of
Spoiler:

If you're relying for this episode as recap material... it's not good as one.

They're not holding back for the next episode. Just another... week...

elleinad00 2011-10-21 23:34

I liked it.......
Spoiler for especially:

but I need englsih sub!! but still it's cute!!

can't wait for the next episode!!! :hyper-^v^:

serenade_beta 2011-10-22 00:14

I think around 80%+ of the episode was just recapping... (´・ω・`)
Not only that, but reusing the original animation, not re-animating it.

...I guess it was funny seeing Yuuji act and sound narcissist-like and that image of him eating food. :heh:

zero7090 2011-10-22 04:39

well this ep is mostly a recap but they make it look like an old man reminiscing about his old part which create an impression that our emo protagonist have grown

this is the first recap ep i have ever enjoyed

Archon_Wing 2011-10-22 05:44

Well, honestly, for a recap that wasn't as horrific as I would have imagined. I had imagined something like 85% recycled footage, but at least they mixed in enough original stuff to go on. Keisaku and Eita pretty much was the point of interest in the episode, continuing the desperate warning and freakout from last episode. In addition, Yuji's recollections did help provide some character insight, and the payoff at the end of the episode was pretty nice.

Overall, this is the first episode this season to entertain me. If it wasn't for the stock footage and Kazumi, I'd rate it pretty high, but I'll be generous and say 7/10

The eyecatches kinda suck compared to the one before...

frivolity 2011-10-22 06:31

How many episodes does this series have? If it's 12, then the pacing's completely off since we've gone through 1/4 of the episodes without any substantial new material.

Westlo 2011-10-22 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by frivolity (Post 3819310)
How many episodes does this series have? If it's 12, then the pacing's completely off since we've gone through 1/4 of the episodes without any substantial new material.

Pretty sure this was confirmed for two cours, 25 episodes I think...

Chaos2Frozen 2011-10-22 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by frivolity (Post 3819310)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlo (Post 3819312)
Pretty sure this was confirmed for two cours, 25 episodes I think...

24 episodes, Shana has always been 24 episodes.

To be completely fair this was a good episode in it's own right, a causal refresher course for those little moments in the previous seasons- not all of them of course but just a few milestones.

But don't you hate it when they end it with a cliffhanger that teases an epic confrontation :eyespin: ?

P.S - Naahhh Yuji, I mean sure it took over 6 years, 2 full cour seasons, 5 OVAs and a remake-movie but I don't think you took too long to realize your feelings, right guys?

Shinn Kamiyra 2011-10-22 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen (Post 3819329)
P.S - Naahhh Yuji, I mean sure it took over 6 years, 2 full cour seasons, 5 OVAs and a remake-movie but I don't think you took too long to realize your feelings, right guys?

Absolutely one-hundred percent a-okay, I say. -Nod nod-

Episode-wise, I'll be jumping on the proverbial band wagon in that, as something of a recap episode, it could have been worse. Of course I'm of the humble opinion that the good people at J-Staff are grinning foolishly right now in their last hurrah of a troll just before Shana's long-awaited moment finally comes to a head, but that's just me.

Hrm... not much else to say, I would think. Much looking forward to next week's episode.

Ec1ge 2011-10-22 10:34

It may of been of recap episode, but it was still a good one nonetheless.
[ Although the way they recapped it made it seem like you didn't even need to watch SnS 1 &2 much ]

8/10

-Sho- 2011-10-22 11:16

Slow episode for a cliffhanger yeah. Don't remember why Yuji did what he did.
And does he still have his sword ?

Om Nerabdator 2011-10-22 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Sho- (Post 3819688)

Yes.

Well it was an ok episode at the beginning then they kept throwing flashbacks at us which got boring real fast.......i can understand why the subbers took longer to release this ep since it was boring, 4/10

That being said though the next episode is gonna be all kinds of epic!!!

com_gwp 2011-10-22 12:49

Being an okay recap episode doesn't change the fact that it's a recap episode, which I can't stand.

But this episode still gets a nod for Eita manning the **** up. 5/10 :cool:

Now JC staff, you best use all that money use saved from using stock animations and old cuts from S1/2 to make the coming fights brilliant.

AzureWrath 2011-10-22 13:14

You guys are being pretty harsh o.o I thought it was a pretty nice recap episode (nothing on Gintama's recaps though ~~~)

Anyway, I really like the imagery and symbolism they included. There was heavily emphasis on how Yuji has changed and how he views where he is. Very obvious near the end.

-Yuji looking up at the climb he couldn't have made before (he can carry himself now)
-Yuji coming to the top of the bridge (reaching the pinnacle of a hard climb)
-Yuji and Shana separated by a chasm atop the bridge (clash of two sides)
+ Just the overall mode of the episode with how Yuji goes over how he has changed. You get the feel that he is moving his own fate along and not being captured in the flow.

IDK, maybe I'm looking too far into it.

kk2extreme 2011-10-22 13:16

wtf, recap!!!

Kyuusaisha 2011-10-22 13:47

Kinda slow episode once it got the the flashback parts but decent enough anyhow. This buildup is killing me though.

HayashiTakara 2011-10-22 13:47

A freaking recap episode this damn early? God this is annoying...

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Sho- (Post 3819688)
Slow episode for a cliffhanger yeah. Don't remember why Yuji did what he did.

yeah he does, it's his primary weapon.

Rising Dragon 2011-10-22 14:34

An early recap was inevitable given the distance between season 2 and 3's airing. Would you rather have a recap at the end of the season? Best to get it out of the way now.

Archon_Wing 2011-10-22 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rising Dragon (Post 3819909)
An early recap was inevitable given the distance between season 2 and 3's airing. Would you rather have a recap at the end of the season? Best to get it out of the way now.

What? Loaded question.

How about no recap at all? If people are really that clueless about what happened, then they can always refer to season 1 or 2. Plenty of series do not bother recapping.

However, the episode wasn't really that much of a recap. Yes they used recycled footage, but it wasn't a straight replaying of events. They were actually relevant to setting up Yuji's mindset. The intent was not to replay events, and I would say it wouldn't help if I didn't watch the previous seasons. The first half was mostly new material and there was some in the 2nd half.

A flat out stock footage fest would have gotten 1-2/10 from me, but I think this is just not the case. It would have been nice to reanimate stuff though...

I would say it does get boring, but hey, given the nature of the episode, people might feel like their time is being wasted. I didn't, but you have to admit many people would rather the story move forward more.

Rising Dragon 2011-10-22 15:20

Plenty of series also don't consist of three seasons spread out across six years, either. The recap within the episode can be useful for people who haven't got access to the old seasons over that distance of time, and it's also useful for new viewers who never watched the first two seasons in the first place. So it has its purpose, though many of us won't like it.

Everyone should consider themselves lucky at how the episode was set up. It was nothing like the recap episodes of the two Gundam SEED series, after all.

creb 2011-10-22 15:27

Sorry. Gave it a 1/10 because recap episodes lost their cool a decade ago (I'm actually only now realizing how rare recap episodes have become in the industry...they're so rare today I never think about them), and to do one in episode 3 for the previous show in the series...lol.

In the age of the internet, c'mon. Move on with the story already.

I'm sure they had the best of intentions, but you know what they say about good intentions.

Archon_Wing 2011-10-22 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rising Dragon (Post 3819965)
Plenty of series also don't consist of three seasons spread out across six years, either. The recap within the episode can be useful for people who haven't got access to the old seasons over that distance of time, and it's also useful for new viewers who never watched the first two seasons in the first place. So it has its purpose, though many of us won't like it.

The last Shana series was 3 years ago. It's not truly across the tears of time. Oh btw, season II started out with a recap, but hey those were good episodes weren't they? It was mixed in with a filler plot and villain, and managed to be entertaining. It served as a good opener. Doing this after you just started a little buildup really can't compare.

And the way it was pieced together, would not help anyone gather together the narrative. A Wikipedia entry would have sufficed more.

In fact the only way to realize the significance of these scenes is to... actually watch and remember the series. Otherwise, you're just nodding your head. Which is a self defeating purpose, I would say.

If you find any one that benefited from these recaps in that manner, please tell me.

Quote:

Everyone should consider themselves lucky at how the episode was set up. It was nothing like the recap episodes of the two Gundam SEED series, after all.
I suppose there's always worse. But since when do people use the bottom as a standard?

I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me, however I feel the series needs to move faster since given 6 years, we really haven't gone far enough.

AzureWrath 2011-10-22 15:40

Did you totally miss the imagery? Did you not see where Yuji was coming from? I'm willing to bet that this episode came directly from the novels.

Archon_Wing 2011-10-22 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzureWrath (Post 3819988)
Did you totally miss the imagery? Did you not see where Yuji was coming from? I'm willing to bet that this episode came directly from the novels.

No I didn't miss the imagery or not see where Yuji was coming from. But I'm not sure who you are talking to. :heh:

ThereminVox 2011-10-22 17:19

Spoiler for Episode 3: Yuji walks around with a serious face for 20 minutes:

I'm not going to complain. This episode was clearly aimed specifically at people like me who couldn't remember a thing about season 2. I forgot Yuji even HAD a father. I kind of figured he popped out of the cabbage patch.

I guess we'll know within a few weeks if this choice of pacing was a good idea or not. Whatever story they've got, they clearly don't think it will take very long to tell. Every episode ends strong to keep you coming back, but everything else has been moving along at a very leisurely pace. When the storm comes, we'll probably miss this relatively peaceful opening act.

It's pretty clear now what Yuji's goal is. The question is whether he's being manipulated into believing he can accomplish it.

Game8910 2011-10-22 17:21

Its ok though, people will complain no matter what anyways. Whether it came from the actual novel (like everything this season so far) or its filler. If you have followed this series for all these years now you should be immune to the hate it tends to get sometimes. If you enjoy it thats all you need.

In my case, I have always loved the series' way to slowly build the plot and the characters. It doesn't rush and it all culminates in huge "shit got real" episodes that make the wait for it. But of course not everyone can appreciate the slow build up and pace of this show.

ars89 2011-10-22 17:35

Wh didn't care for the recap. Nice to see Eita get back into things though. So did his girl (forgot her name) recognize Yuji? Like how Shana waited for him and he went to meet her.