AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Indie / Alternative / Underground (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=121527)

Afternoon Tea 2013-08-23 23:08

Indie / Alternative / Underground

This thread is all about the Indie, the Alternative, the Underground, and everything in-between! Would you care to sit down, and have a cup of tea? Lets share some music!

I would say that if I'm not listening to "Oldies" anything from 40-70's, and stuff from the 80's. I would be listening to J-Pop/Rock/Indie/Alternative/Jazz or Indie Alternative music. I have a pretty diverse taste in music, if I don't say so myself. I've always been digging the indie/alternative (or whatever side your on) scene from both the Western, and Eastern sides of the globe. Here are "SOME" bands that I REALLY DIG; that I can also name off the top of my head. Let me know if you know any ;) I'm more into Japanese, U.K., and overseas Indie/Alternative/Underground music, and I find myself listening to it more; and enjoying it more then American Indie/Alernative/Underground music. To enhance my love every year I always make the attempt to attend Lollapalloza! Its an annual music festival featuring popular alternative rock, heavy metal, punk rock and hip hop bands, dance and comedy. Right in the middle of our lovely city Chicago. Care to share experiences, favorite bands, thoughts, news, etc?!

American:
Spoiler for Vampire Weekend:

Spoiler for Local Natives:

Spoiler for The Black Keys:

Spoiler for Deap Vally:

Spoiler for The Killers:

Spoiler for The Postal Service:

Spoiler for Jason Mraz:

Spoiler for Foxy Shazam:

Spoiler for The Strokes:

Spoiler for Lana Del Rey:

Spoiler for Never Shout Never:

Spoiler for Fall Out Boy:

Spoiler for Foster The People:

Spoiler for MGMT:

Spoiler for Neon Trees:

Spoiler for Matt and Kim:

----
Canadian:
Spoiler for St Ange:

----
U.K.:
Spoiler for Two Door Cinema Club:

Spoiler for Arctic Monkeys:

Spoiler for Radiohead:

Spoiler for Florence + the Machine:

Spoiler for Band of Skulls:

Spoiler for Bloc Party:

Spoiler for The XX:

Spoiler for Foals:

Spoiler for Gorillaz:

----
Australian:
Spoiler for San Cisco:

Spoiler for Strange Talk:

----
Swedish:
Spoiler for Maia Hirasawa:

----
French:
Spoiler for Phoenix:

Spoiler for Daft Punk:

----
Japaneses:
Spoiler for Noanowa:

Spoiler for SakanAction:

Spoiler for School Food Punishment:

Spoiler for Soil & "PIMP" Sessions:

Spoiler for Soutaiseiriron:

Spoiler for Galileo Galilei:

340.29 2013-10-07 21:45

Off the top of my head, these are some Indie/Alternative songs that I enjoy:

Passenger - Let Her Go
The Lumineers - Stubborn Love
The Naked and Famous - Young Blood
Wake! Owl - Gold
The Head and the Heart - Rivers and Roads
Mumford and Sons - Hopeless Wanderer
Imagine Dragons - Demons
Passion Pit - Moth's Wings
of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
MGMT - Kids
Fun. - Some Nights
Modest Mouse - Missed the Boat
Ingrid Michaelson - You and I
Florence and the Machine - Shake It Out
Empire of the Sun - We are the People
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's - Home
Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body
Coconut Records - West Coast
Bastille - Pompeii
Avalanche City - Love Love Love

Ak3mi 2013-10-08 18:16

So strange was just listening to Vampire Weekend and found this thread, my favorite song by them is

Also listen to MGMT and Placebo.

Taco-Calamitous 2013-11-11 12:17

I definitely like Vampire Weekend as well, although I haven't gotten their last two albums. Thought about it, but haven't. Love the song "Oxford Commas." Also, with their rerelease of Give Up and their new single, I finally got more into the Postal Service (although I still am indifferent to Death Cab.) If you like The Postal Service/Death Cab, you might also like this Northwestern band, The Lonely Forest:
Spoiler for The Lonely Forest:

They're not really similar per se, but I think toured together or at least played a few shows. Also, I love them.

Also saw mention of Mumford and Sons, so definitely The Avett Brothers are worth mentioning:
Spoiler for Avett Brothers:

I personally think they're better.

Also, I saw no mention of Architecture in Helsinki, and they are an awesome New Zealand band. Think they started out wanting to be indie folk, then they got really synth heavy. Think my favorite album of theirs is "Places Like This."

Recent acts I like:
Woahnows, Crazy & the Brains, The Vaccines, Listener, Torche, The Joy Formidable, Larry and his Flask, The Night Marchers, The Dirty Royals, and some older ones are They Might Be Giants (obvious; and no, I didn't discover them through Tiny Toons :P) Reggie and the Full Effect (he's got a new album coming out this month, too!) Nada Surf

If you're into punk or ska as well, I'd suggest checking out the upcoming new Five Iron Frenzy album, the new Less Than Jake album (out tomorrow) the newest Streetlight Manifesto album, All People's EP, and for (pop) punk I'd suggest Broadway Calls, We're Not Afraid, and people seem to like The State Champs. Authority Zero has a new album this year that I liked a lot... But I don't want to go too far that way, as this thread really isn't about that.

EDIT: forgot about Sombear:
Spoiler for Sombear: