AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   It's the Christian Piece of sh*t holidays. (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=23047)

HopelessLover 2004-10-30 11:03

It's the Christian Piece of sh*t holidays.

Does any one even celebrate them any more?

Bun-kun 2004-10-30 11:24

huh? you mean christmas, or thankgiving? Well thanksgiving I guess, cause it's one of the only times all my family can get together. Christmas nah, my family is buddhist, though they do give gifts to the very young ones :\ But I think Christmas is a sham for people to buys stuff. Well it has shown that it can boost the economy sometimes so it's not all that bad :P

ChibiDusk 2004-10-30 11:33

Lol, do people celebrate them? Uh, yeah, christmas is one of the more (if not the most) major holiday of the year. Atleast here it is. I'm against religious crap, but I like the feeling of Christmas so it has always been my favorite holiday.

Meow 2004-10-30 11:37

They are just celebrating the new videotaped message by Osama Bin Laden.

"We will work to continue this battle, God permitting, until victory or until we meet God," -bin Laden-

Thany 2004-10-30 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Lol, do people celebrate them? Uh, yeah, christmas is one of the more (if not the most) major holiday of the year. Atleast here it is. I'm against religious crap, but I like the feeling of Christmas so it has always been my favorite holiday.

Personally I've never ever celebrated this.
Actually didn't even know it was Thanksgiving today :P
But I'm not living in a country were religion is taking over people's bodies :D

hobbs 2004-10-30 12:02

pah! not celebrating christmas! you crazy! Im not one bit religous, im probably the most atheist someone could be. hehehehe. But this is christmas ya crazy! one word comes to mind ~ scrouge. (well one name but shhh!)
i do not celebrate thanksgiving tho..because im british. hehe

hooliganj 2004-10-30 12:05

In the US, at least, Christian holidays are still a big deal, if for no other reason than because the government still recognizes them as federal holidays, so all public school students and anyone who works for the government or any bank gets the day off. On the other hand, I think the religious aspect of those holidays is becoming less and less important with each year.

Christmas has more holy trappings than most, but even that has become a time to meet with family, exchange gifts with friends and loved one, and most importantly shop, shop, shop. Actual celebration of the birth of Christ seems to be optional, which works out well for me, being an atheist.

Easter is probably the most interesting example. It was originally a festival to celebrate the return of spring, before the church officials decided to coopt such a pagan ritual. And while most people are aware of the Easter story, I think the holiday is gradually returning to its original purpose.

Incidentally, these are dearly held beliefs to some people, and while I may not share them, refering to them as "Piece of sh*t holidays" only demonstrates that you have no respect for the rights of others to value their own beliefs. As an attitude, it's no better than the evangelists who stand on street corners telling people that without God's guidance they are doomed to hell for all eternity.

Also, Thanksgiving is not today, it's November 25th (always on Thrusday of the last full week of November), nor is it a religious holiday, despite what some people may claim. It is based on events in early American history, although I would rather have a national celebration of the Boston Tea Party. Take that, ya' lousey Brits! :D :cool: :D

OutPhase 2004-10-30 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thany
Personally I've never ever celebrated this.
Actually didn't even know it was Thanksgiving today :P
But I'm not living in a country were religion is taking over people's bodies :D

You poor human. You haven't even celebrated Christmas. Christmas is the holiday of rejoycing the resurrection of our Lord (well, not my Lord. I'm an aithiest. Even more so the probably Hobbsy) But her'e sthe best partr about Christ, dude:

Presents! Free Stuff! TURKEY WITH GRAVY!!!! :faints from overexcitement about Christmas:

Thanksgiving a holiday about giving thanks for what we have. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving for religious purposes, but for just-being-happy-we-live-here-purposes. Also I get a Thread day weeking and my hyper rare "E" schedule at school which comes about 3 to 5 times a school year.

Spoiler for Thany. Off topic:

cdpinoyx01 2004-10-30 12:40

Almost every commercial holliday has lost its original religious conotation...

For example Halloween which is tommarow used to be All Hallows Eve in preparation for All Souls Day. Basically a comemoration of those that had passed on etc. Now its just like yay free candy and egging houses :D yay -.-;;

Thany 2004-10-30 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
You poor human. You haven't even celebrated Christmas. Christmas is the holiday of rejoycing the resurrection of our Lord (well, not my Lord. I'm an aithiest. Even more so the probably Hobbsy) But her'e sthe best partr about Christ, dude:

Presents! Free Stuff! TURKEY WITH GRAVY!!!! :faints from overexcitement about Christmas:

Thanksgiving a holiday about giving thanks for what we have. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving for religious purposes, but for just-being-happy-we-live-here-purposes. Also I get a Thread day weeking and my hyper rare "E" schedule at school which comes about 3 to 5 times a school year.

Spoiler for Thany. Off topic:

Dehh I was talking about Thanksgiving, not Christmas :D
Spoiler for Razer_2mb. Off topic:

Aquillion 2004-10-30 12:58

At this point, Christmas is really more of a Coca-Cola holiday than a Christian one; the Coca-Cola company invented our current conception of Santa Claus and his reindeer through advertising in the early 20th century. That's why Santa is always shown in white and red; they portrayed him in Coca-Cola colors. Before then, Saint Nick was a relatively minor figure, but after that Christmas basically became about him.

"Aren't we forgeting the true meaning of Christmas? You know, the birth of Santa?"

Tzurial 2004-10-30 13:03

Call them piece of shit holidays if you want, but I get 2 weeks off work..and I get to go home where people will literally put food in front of me at no charge OR any effort on my part! Christmas really cant come soon enough ;___;

Meow 2004-10-30 13:09

Well i celebrate X-mas the same way as hooliganj. Mine as nothing to do with religion, we celebrate it because its a day that as to do with familly and friendship wich are the most important thing in life, (i know that in mid-east, religion is more important then familly)

So yeah... the best holiday for advertizing x-mas movies... x-mas food.. drinks... santa-clause in action for the children and more more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and also spend more $$$$$ for another holiday wich is the NEW YEAR !

And that makes the economy grow up.

The1Voices 2004-10-30 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdpinoyx01
Almost every commercial holliday has lost its original religious conotation...

For example Halloween which is tommarow used to be All Hallows Eve in preparation for All Souls Day. Basically a comemoration of those that had passed on etc. Now its just like yay free candy and egging houses :D yay -.-;;

Wrong Halloween is a pagan tradition/celebration in which people would dress up as fairies & leprechauns in order to fool what they believed to be real creatures that came out on All Hallows Eve. The Christian church didn’t really understand this and in a way saw it as a minor threat to the whole concept of good (as in good and evil), so to balance the scales and to promote conversion the church instituted All Saints Day.

hooliganj 2004-10-30 13:12

Santa's current look may be due to the Coca-Cola company, but red has always figured into the costume. I like the theory that Santa is a holdover from when Christmas was the Druidic celebration of the Winter Solstice, and his cloak was dyed red with the blood of the annual sacrifices. Now, that's the true meaning of Christmas, Charlie Brown. :p

Meow 2004-10-30 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooliganj
Santa's current look may be due to the Coca-Cola company, but red has always figured into the costume. I like the theory that Santa is a holdover from when Christmas was the Druidic celebration of the Winter Solstice, and his cloak was dyed red with the blood of the annual sacrifices. Now, that's the true meaning of Christmas, Charlie Brown. :p

Ive seen Blue Santa Clause commercializing Pepsi. And i wonder what that blue means to X-max.

Oh and new movies are coming... http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/the_polar_express/

Tiamat's Disciple 2004-10-30 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by The1Voices
Wrong Halloween is a pagan tradition/celebration in which people would dress up as fairies & leprechauns in order to fool what they believed to be real creatures that came out on All Hallows Eve. The Christian church didn’t really understand this and in a way saw it as a minor threat to the whole concept of good (as in good and evil), so to balance the scales and to promote conversion the church instituted All Saints Day.

Your partialy right. All Hallows Eve was seen as a time to scare off evil spirits believed to come out at this time, however the church were against the pagan tradition as a whole, not just this one. They believed any religion other than theres was a threat and beat it into the undergound with swords, picks, clubs and just about anything else.

Also christmas isn't a christian day, its origin is pagan aswell. It was taken over by the church because they felt it was easier to hijack days and events already in existence rather than make new ones, since people were already used to making oferings and stuff on that day. Easter is another example of this, as is May Day.

Entropy 2004-10-30 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bun-kun
huh? you mean christmas, or thankgiving? Well thanksgiving I guess, cause it's one of the only times all my family can get together.

Thing is...Thanksgiving is not a Christian holiday,not to mention can vary between countries.Correct if I'm wrong,but the Canadians have already celebrated thier thanksgiving,while the American Thanksgiving doesn't come for another month.

LoveOfAnime 2004-10-30 13:56

"Bah Humbug" to everybody ^^;; <That was SARCASM> I love teh Christmas. We celebrate the holiday as the birth of Jesus and we give gifts as the wise men gave to the baby. For me it is not about the money. It is about giving without expecting back. Santa fits that bill. I love the Magic but then again I have never grown up and am still a child at heart. I see the magic of possibilities. Besides SANTA gives up on you when you quit believing.

When the magic is gone it is all about Money and stupid stuff. Just my opinion tho' and Yes I still watch all of the fantastic christmas movies that play. So sue me! My favorite being HOME ALONE 2. Has a very sweet feeling to it and a good message to boot.

Does anyone else still decorate a tree here other than me? I love it! I buy ornaments each year and write my kids names on the back and the current year. That way their first christmas away from home when they move I will give them each their own box of ornaments to start their new lives.

We still drink hot cocoa and read the bible to hear the greatest story ever told. We do not go to an actual church service tho'. We spend time with our families and open gifts and eat all the goodies. I also pull out the CD I made with all the favorite Christmas music on it and I blast HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS! (the greatest christmas song ever written) if you cannot tell by now Christmas IS my favorite time of the year. :love:

OutPhase 2004-10-30 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thany
Dehh I was talking about Thanksgiving, not Christmas :D

Okay, but the other one was just in case someone asked the question that would make me implode:
What is Christmas?

As long as I'm posting here I have a question for all of you:

Spoiler for question: