AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I'm a PS3 newbie, help! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=117955)

NK_500 2013-02-18 03:59

I'm a PS3 newbie, help!

Did I mentioned I bought PS3 not long ago? Anyway my only biggest problem is lack of games to play with. It just the money issue. I was dumb enough to spent all of the money for the hardware and forgot to left some for its software. Fortunately for me I got Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for "compliment" or at least how I think it is and a used copy of Final Fantasy XIII from a friend.

Buying PS3 at the time PS4 about to make a debut is a good thing. I got lots of good games to buy as long as I know where to look. I have many games in my checklist but I had limited money. I'm asking any PS3 otakus out there to help me out on which games I should buy and which one shouldn't. One more thing that in my country there's no service which I can rent games instead of owning them.

Mass Effect Trilogy(PS3 version had most free DLCs) vs God of War complete box set of all 5 games(excluding Ascension which will be released next month, which I also saving my money for it)

Disgaea 3 + 4 vs Resonance of Fate

Borderlands 1 + 2 vs Dragon Age 1 + 2

Bayonetta vs Devil May Cry(new one)

Valkyria Chronicles vs XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Yakuza 3 and/or 4 vs Sleeping Dogs

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier vs Spec Ops: The Line

Blazblue(any) vs Mortal Kombat(2011) vs Street Fighters 4(latest)

Kudryavka 2013-02-18 04:07

The Grand Theft Auto 4 collection?

Dawnstorm 2013-02-18 04:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by NK_500 (Post 4558687)
Blazblue(any) vs Mortal Kombat(2011) vs Street Fighters 4(latest)

I never liked Mortal Kombat that much, so I can't help you there. Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition is great; it's probably better for casual play (a less complex fighting system), plus it's got a huge nostalgia effect (if you played the old games), since they did a good job staying true to the previous versions. Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend has a more intricate fighting system and every character has special abilities that make some of them very unique. The story mode is excellent and beats many role playing games (I was surprised; a step up from Guilty Gear, which was already quite good). All in all BlazBlue is probably the better overall game, but Streetfighter IV is probably the better game if you're looking for a pure fighting game that's not too complex. I have and love both, and I suck at combos (casual fighting gamer).

If you like JRPGs, I'd suggest you get Tales of Graces f. I was skeptic, because of the real-time fighting system (I don't like those), but that's actually fun. The strength of the game lies in character interaction. The story's nice, but nothing you haven't seen before if you've played other JRPGs. It's an outstanding title, though. (I really love what they did with "New Game +". You earn points, depending on how well you did, and can spend them on things to carry over, or things that make your life easier. Basically, you can customise your second run. Very nice.)

I don't have my PS3 for very long either. I own Disgea 4, but I haven't played it yet. It looks incredibly fun, though. :D

kyp275 2013-02-18 04:56

valkyria chronicles belong in every PS3 owner's game library

SeijiSensei 2013-02-18 09:18

Dragon Age: Origins is my favorite PS3 game. The sequel is okay but a bit claustrophobic compared to the original. I especially like to put quarrelsome characters together in my party and listen to them bicker while we walk around. Morrigan and Alastair make a good pairing as do any combinations with Shale.

Most of the time I replay PS2 games though a couple, like the original Ratchet & Clank don't work well using the emulated PS2 hardware. In general I've found the PS3 generation of games disappointing, but I'm not a fan of shooters which seem to be the dominant genre these days.

MrAyzarC_91 2013-03-10 17:07

Mass Effect Trilogy vs God of War complete box:

In this case it depends on you if you rather like a good story were you have little effect on it or a great story based on the Greek Mythology, i would go with both as I liked them equally (exept the ending of ME3).

Borderlands 1 + 2 vs Dragon Age 1 + 2:

In this case I would recomend you the DA games as they are from the people who also made ME, it has a better story than Borderlands in my opinion.

Bayonetta vs Devil May Cry:

If you like a challenge than would recommend you Bayonetta or The DMC HD collection as I think that the newest one is a little bit to easy in my opinion.

Blazblue vs Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighters 4:

I havn´t played SF4 but the other 2, I would go with the BlazeBlue games.

Sackett 2013-03-10 18:37

Oblivion

is the only PS3 game I played

Magin 2013-03-10 18:52

Some of my personal suggestions:

Asura's Wrath... granted, gameplay is similar to God of War, and I suppose you can say there are certain similarities to their storylines, but it's a definitely a game that stands on its own

Darksiders 1 and 2... you're never going to see games like these again (because THQ and Vigil games are both dead and buried companies, unfortunately), but they're massive games and combine both hack n slash with RPG elements. A very fun experience

Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are both games that should be added when you get the chance

deadlights911 2013-03-13 21:06

Shouldn't you post this in the game section?

Anyway, if you're looking for PS exclusive games, definitely get the Uncharted series and Infamous.

If you don't care whether it's exclusive or not, then definitely get Max Payne 3 and Red Dead Redemption (and maybe Bully, LA Noire and Grand Theft Auto 4

What can I say? I'm a huge Rockstar fanboy

creb 2013-03-13 22:51

Quote:

Disgaea 3 + 4 vs Resonance of Fate

I'm one of those rare JRPG fanatics that didn't enjoy the Disgaea series at all, so I'd have to go with RoF (which I moderately enjoyed). That said, the majority opinion would drastically be in favor of Disgaea.

Quote:

Borderlands 1 + 2 vs Dragon Age 1 + 2

Tough. Borderlands 2 is great. I prefer the story/lore of Dragon Age. Total toss-up for me.

Quote:

Bayonetta vs Devil May Cry(new one)

Didn't particularly care for either.

Quote:

Valkyria Chronicles vs XCOM: Enemy Unknown

VC is a cult favorite, but I found it incredibly boring and shallow, and one of those very rare circumstances where the anime based off the game was exponentially better than the game itself. So, I have to go with XCOM (which I moderately enjoyed). VC 2's overall plot was worse than VC, but it had far more character depth and combat (far worse maps). Never played VC 3.

As for other games:

Metal Gear Solid 4. Because it's Kojima. And you have a PS 3.

Catherine. Because Atlus should be rewarded for taking risks, even if the actual gameplay was largely meh.

Uncharted series, because it's like the poster child for the PS 3.

Heavy Rain, if you want to play an interactive adult novel (very little gameplay, and admittedly many, many boring controller actions, with the payoff being a pretty nice story). I actually always have a hard time recommending this to people, as I feel like it's about the most boring possible way to experience a good story possible, but....again...good story.

Ferp 2013-03-13 23:19

RoF was great. Not a Disgaea fan.
Dragon Age: Origins with DLC is one of the best RPGs that came out in the last five years (IMO), so I'd get that over Borderlands, which get boring after hitting the level cap.
VC and X-Com are quite different games, despite similar gameplays. I prefered VC because of the art style and I always liked the World War II vibe it gave off. X-Com didn't really interest me because I find Aliens boring.
Sleeping Dogs for sure.
TCGRFS is easily better than Spec Ops. Although I own both titles on XBox360 I'm sure they play nearly the same on PS3.