AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   World Of Warcraft Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=52267)

Hazelshock 2007-08-04 02:27

World Of Warcraft Discussion Thread

Blizzard has finally released information on there next up coming in the future expansion. So what do you guys think with all the new features will this be an improvement to the overall of WoW or a let down?

Demongod86 2007-08-04 10:12

Well after they kill Arthas, at least they'll have no more famous characters to stupidly slaughter. Oh well. RIP Illidan and Arthas, the two most badass warcraft characters in history :(.

Tokkan 2007-08-04 10:16

Just because they're killable in WoW doesn't mean they're canonically dead. That's why WoWWiki lists storyline characters as "Alive", "Dead" or "Killable".

Alexandrite 2007-08-04 11:29

If getting through Northrend TO Arthas and actually killing Arthas isn't the most mind-numbingly impossible task in the game, I will be disappointed. It's ARTHAS. At this point, Malfurion is the only other person on the planet that could possibly go one on one, right?

I just don't like the idea of star players from Warcraft 3 like Kel'thuzad, Illidan, and Arthas being taken down by some of the idiots that populate that game. Hopefully if they meet their end, it will be in an actual Warcraft game. I don't want to read Wiki or something to see the rest of the story, and I refuse to go back to WoW.

Vexx 2007-08-04 11:50

Just from a gameplay standpoint (ignoring the "canon"), they're going to need bigger abacuses (abaci) to count the HP numbers that lvl 80 stuff implies.

I don't mind expansions per se. They usually add classes and features that keep a game fresh. The addition of the two races in Burning Crusade provided two whole new stories of 0-25 content. Balancing classes for PvP *and* PvE is just a tough go, so I expect screams from almost anyone who's hung up on "cookie cutter" "best" combinations.

What I'd *LIKE* to see that I don't see happening enough:
1) More solo and small group content and quests across all 70+ levels.
2) Stop dumbing down the quests (o look another 50yd courier quest).
3) Evolve the low and mid-range area quests in the older areas so that starting a new character isn't a drudge.

I end up soloing a lot because so many players are so totally risk averse that they have high-levels lead them by the nose through regions and instances that are perfectly solo-able or doable by the appropriate level... also see above comment on cookie cutter 'best' solution characters.
-- if there's no risk, there's no game.

Worse, some of them just want an end-game character --- which translates to an overload of top level characters who are basically just idiot jackasses in terms of grouping skills and guild interaction.
Its not unusual to hear lvl 70 types asking for directions in areas they should have grown up in.

These are WoW specific issues - they're a problem with most MMOs. I gave Dungeons&DragonsOnline a lot of credit for continuously providing new adventures in *all* areas (low and high) -and- providing adjustments for group size or solo-able in most of them.

As far as the WoW "story" goes...... its probably best just to view WoW as a juncture timeline point at which the track leaves the tactical game story.

Klashikari 2007-08-04 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandrite (Post 1077663)
If getting through Northrend TO Arthas and actually killing Arthas isn't the most mind-numbingly impossible task in the game, I will be disappointed. It's ARTHAS. At this point, Malfurion is the only other person on the planet that could possibly go one on one, right?

I just don't like the idea of star players from Warcraft 3 like Kel'thuzad, Illidan, and Arthas being taken down by some of the idiots that populate that game. Hopefully if they meet their end, it will be in an actual Warcraft game. I don't want to read Wiki or something to see the rest of the story, and I refuse to go back to WoW.

The problem is: absolutely no "hero" is guaranteed to survive for a hypothecal "Warcraft IV".

Since they actually butchered/toyed the story about Sargeras and the Draenei, not to mention illidan and Archimonde (the later, completely idiotic so to speak), it isn't even surprising they are going to let people playing some kitting with arthas.

the lore will be definitely dead when they will mention some possibility to say hi to Kil'jaeden and other boggling things.

as for "canonically dead", i disagree: the game, despite really really flat and "static", the lore still "evolve". In example, in outland, if you are lurking around the Netherwing ledge, you will see a discussion between Lady sinestra and Overloard Mog'hor. These 2 are talking about Nefarian's failure.

Various quests also mentions the falls of some bosses you "should have" taken care of prior getting in this point.

Also, considering the events related for some bosses (such like illidan... but in a very poor way), the "non canonical death" isn't something i would really bet on...

Deathkillz 2007-08-04 12:02

zomg i didnt know you played WoW vexx O.O

*cough*

on the plus side for this expansion is that we can finally have an end to the "never ending game" that is WoW ~ i wonder how many will quit after killing the lich king (if they make it that far O.O)
on the minus side i agree with Alexandrite ~ making legendary heros "killable" is just dam degrading to their status...like illidan who is arguably the 2nd strongest and on the verge of being a god O.O *sigh*

Demongod86 2007-08-04 15:09

The only opposing arguments I've ever heard against random people killing heroes is that was the way it has always been *aside* from warcraft 3. In warcraft 2, you had to kill Guldan with a bunch of ogres (or so I've heard). Because of the "mechanics", warcraft 3 was the exception due to the entire hero system.

In one way, this is sort of true considering that in starcraft, Fenix got pwnt by a bunch of zergies, and later by some more zergies. Duke also got pwnt in his battlecruiser by some zergies when you have to save him, and then by some more zergies (when you kill him). Kerrigan didn't actually lay a finger on either one.

However, even in starcraft, there were instances of heroes killing equally godlike figures. Tassadar killing the overmind, Kerrigan killing Aldaris, Zeratul killing the matriarch, Duran killing Stukov...

On the whole, though, I do agree that just as in gundam, the only thing that should take down a gundam is another gundam. On the same note, only a hero should kill another hero. To just have some of our favorite figures downed like that is, in my opinion, stupid.

I still can't swallow the fact that something the burning legion couldn't do, something Maiev couldn't do, something Arthas didn't do...was now done by a bunch of anonymous morons out on looting raids (Illidan).

And it's even HARDER to swallow the fact that something NOBODY HAD A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL OF DOING aside from Illidan who fell short (and who was easily the most superpowered character to date aside from the demonlords) is now going to be done by a bunch of anonymous morons out on looting raids (Arthas).

I wonder what blizzard will milk next...kill Kiljaeden, who before he dies resurrects Sargeras, who releases some next higher power?

Seriously, this garbage needs to be retconned.

onehp 2007-08-04 20:10

Arthas's boots for sale in auction!

Anyways...
YouTube Trailer for new XP

gummybear 2007-08-04 20:54

I tried to feel the epicness, but all that is going through my head was "stop wasting time and resource and make with the SC2 damn it!"

Sanjuronord 2007-08-04 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by onehp (Post 1078240)

I probably did it to myself expecting the usual kickass CG blizzard throws out but fairly disappointed at the lousy machinima(?) trailer. Kept expecting the south park kids to show up and Cartman yell pwn'd. :heh:

Stopped playing WOW, about right after the expansion came out.

Demongod86 2007-08-04 21:41

Frankly I like the BC trailer better...somehow I'm hoping against hope that Illidan in your final fight with Arthas turns up and gets the last blow on him like Maiev did to him...though it may very well be Sylvanas...

I wonder if Arthas will just be slaughtered or if he'll somehow be given some form of token redemption...

Clarste 2007-08-04 23:12

Maybe I'm out of date with this stuff, but from what I recall back when people were testing the Black Temple patch, Illidan was killed by Maiev, not 25 random people. The 25 random people fight through the encounter, but the one who finishes him off is Maiev, with no particular indication that the 25 people did anything but stall for time. "Killing" him just triggers a little cutscene. Anyway, that sort of death seems workable to me, plot-wise, although I'm not sure who should strike the final blow to Arthas. Jaina maybe?

On the other hand, maybe what I've heard about Illidan's death scene is completely wrong, but either way it'd be nice if they did something like that for Arthas. Although it's kind of odd to make him killable in only the second expansion. That's kind of the end of story left over from WC3.

On the gameplay side of things, I'm most interested in that Inscription profession. Sounds like it could be really interesting, depending on how it's done.

Hazelshock 2007-08-04 23:31

killing off main plot characters is pretty dumb since it cuts off ideas from branching out but on the plus side some people would love to get a chance to beat the shit out of those guys

Fruitfly 2007-08-05 00:13

I wouldn't mind some new story and villains being introduced if theres ever another expansion afterwards.

Since most of the monsters are undead in northern, I just hope the entire expansion isn't just a 2nd naxx dungeon.

ImperialPanda 2007-08-05 01:28

I believe this is the first time Blizzard has released a second expansion on a particular game. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllk.

Klashikari 2007-08-05 04:06

^ erm... Any MMORPG would hardly live long enough without any several additional major contents over the time.

Of course the objective is to enlength the game, nothing surprising to expect, and this is hardly exclusive to blizzard.

Demongod86 2007-08-05 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahamut89 (Post 1078438)
Maybe I'm out of date with this stuff, but from what I recall back when people were testing the Black Temple patch, Illidan was killed by Maiev, not 25 random people. The 25 random people fight through the encounter, but the one who finishes him off is Maiev, with no particular indication that the 25 people did anything but stall for time. "Killing" him just triggers a little cutscene. Anyway, that sort of death seems workable to me, plot-wise, although I'm not sure who should strike the final blow to Arthas. Jaina maybe?

On the other hand, maybe what I've heard about Illidan's death scene is completely wrong, but either way it'd be nice if they did something like that for Arthas. Although it's kind of odd to make him killable in only the second expansion. That's kind of the end of story left over from WC3.

On the gameplay side of things, I'm most interested in that Inscription profession. Sounds like it could be really interesting, depending on how it's done.

No, the 25 random people basically weaken him pretty hard.

As for who should land the killing blow on Arthas, I still contend that it should be Illidan, to finish what they started. Jaina would make no sense whatsoever as the last time she saw Arthas was when he was a paladin, albeit one that's not so nice (what's that one mission where you raze the city?). Next on the pecking order would come Sylvanas, since she could have finished Arthas off in the TFT campaign, but didn't. But once again, she's not all that powerful either.

Deathkillz 2007-08-05 10:06

i actually liked the trailer :) quite dramatic in that sense though you just know that the gameplay is nowhere near that epix ~

new death knight class i see...why do i get the feeling that i see a connection between the new class and warlocks "those who grain free will but still have the powers" type of thing :/ i could imagine something like the 4 horsemans but they fail :heh: weaksauce! ~ and now we have dark loladins flooding the servers ~ hopefully they can do something more fun that bubble hearth...i would like the bubble to be a pulsing aura of doom!

lvl 80 cap geez...more grinding great :rolleyes: but heck theres a new dance! :O

-KarumA- 2007-08-05 10:10

bwaah i just saw the trailer yesterday morning first thing i was concerned about was disc space and graphics -_-; i hope it gets to be as big as the previous expansion, that means it'll fit

liked the music in the trailer

bwaah now all im thinking is that we just started going for Karazan (or whatever its called) and now we have a new expansion and probably new epic dungeons to go to -_-;

i bet Death Knight is more like a lock pally lol