AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   One Piece (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   One Piece - Chapter 597 (manga) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=96874)

marvelB 2010-08-25 00:56

One Piece - Chapter 597 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

The moment of truth is here, folks...!

-Chapter title is 3D2Y. The splash page features the mighty duo of Gold Roger and Whitebeard.

-Zoro begs for Mihawk to train him. Mihawk finds his request to be downright retarded, as he hasn't at least defeated the humandrills yet. However, Zoro tells him that he DID defeat the baboons, which surprises the hawk-eyed one. He then asks Zoro why he should learn the sword from a future enemy, and Zoro simply answers that it's so he can surpass him. Mihawk is amused by his foolishness, and says that he must have found something more important than his ambition to make him swallow his pride. He then tells Perona to tend to his wounds so they can train once he heals.....

-Zoro explains the meaning of Luffy's message to Perona. It turns out that the ringing of the bells was a diversion to distract the world from the true message, which is the "3D2Y" tattoo on Luffy's arm. The crew's original plan to meet up at Sabaody has been changed to meet up at the island again...... in two years. Until that time, the crew must get stronger so they can survive in the New World.....

-Meanwhile, at the Calm Belt, Jinbei departs from Luffy's group, saying that the two of them will meet up at Merman Island in 2 years. Luffy and co. then go to an island north of Amazon Lily, Rusukaina. Rayleigh explains that it's a harsh island that changes weather every week. Hancock offers to bring Luffy food every day, but Ray tells her to stay put at AL while the two of them train. After the Kuja leave, Ray explains that the island used to be a nation that was wiped out by the rough environment, and that it's inhabited by at least 500 types of powerful beasts that are far beyond Luffy's current level. In order to cope with such a rough environment, Luffy must learn to take control of the power known as.... Haki!

-Ray explains that Haki is a power that is dormant in all human beings, as it is basically a person's willpower. However, most people are oblivious to such a force. He then says that there are three types of Haki, which he demonstrates on an elephant that attacks him: First, is the "Kenbunshoku" (color of observation) Haki, which is used to sense an opponent's presence and predict their actions. In Skypiea, this power is known as Mantra. Second is "Busoushoku" (color of armor) Haki, which can be used to attack opponents. It's particularly useful against DF users (even Logias), and can be infused into weapons, as seen with the Kuja amazons' arrows. Finally, there's the type of Haki we're most familiar with, Haoushoku (king/tyrant's color) Haki, which is used as a form of intimidation. This type of Haki cannot be properly trained, as this power is merely the user's will, and will grow in strength alongside him. However, he warns Luffy to not use this power recklessly, as it can effect innocent bystanders, as well. Rayleigh then says that although 2 years is not enough time, he'll do all he can to teach Luffy the basics of these 3 types of Haki, though he reccomends that he focus on the type that's best suited to him. Luffy then puts aside his straw hat, deciding to put his pirate title on hold for a while. He then prepares to train with the Hell King......

...Man, what a chapter. I'm actually quite surprised that Zoro decided to train under Mihawk. And while Mihawk certainly did voice my opinion that the idea of training a future enemy seems flat-out retarded, I'm sure Oda had his reasons for going this route. As for the 2-year skip.... well, I personally feel that's too long, but I reluctantly accept it (honestly, the last couple chapters had me leaning towards a year-long skip anyway, so I'm not too bothered by this).....

...Heh, I like how Rayleigh's explanation of Haki pretty much matched C.A.'s word-for-word. I'm guesing that Luffy's naturally suited for the armor Haki, since Mantra doesn't seem to fit him so well, IMO. Man, it'll be crazy seeing how much everyone's improved after the skip.....

Anyway, the folks who've read the previous chapter thread should know this by now, but for clarification's sake:

Oda will be on a lengthy break after this chapter. There will be no new chapters of OP for the next four weeks, so don't expect any new chapters until around late September. I repeat: There will be no new chapter for the next four weeks.

Chapter in Japan - 4th October
Spoilers on the internet - 29th September
Full Chapter on the internet - 29th/30th September

james0246 2010-08-25 01:01

Explanation of Haki aside, this chapter more or less followed every path we were expecting (and some were dreading). 2 Years is way too long, and honestly I can't help but feel this is just an excuse to make Nami's breasts even larger (j/k :p).

Joking aside, anyone else think that Mihawk will be taken down by someone else now?

SilverSyko 2010-08-25 01:04

This is defiently the end of a "part 1" of the series and now we're starting "part 2". Everyone's going to age and get stronger and move up in the world, so the OP world's going to be quite different from how we currently know it.

Kind of surprising that there's different kinds of haki, I figured there was only one but it had multiple uses.

It's also funny how the people who thought the tattoo was the actual message were right all along. xD

marvelB 2010-08-25 01:08

Welp, I guess I better kick start the "Which Haki type fits this Straw-Hat" discussion:

I'll start with Usopp. Y'know, at first I had the impression that he was better suited for the armor-type Haki, but now that I think more and more about it, Mantra is probably best for him. That would actually improve his sniping skills severalfold, if you ask me (though I'm still quite certain that he won't reach Augur's level post-timeskip, of course). I also can't help but think that Mantra would benefit Robin as well, as she even stated herself that assassination was her specialty.....

Gin 2010-08-25 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 3209336)
I can't help but feel this is just an excuse to make Nami's breasts even larger.

Wait, thats not a valid excuse? :heh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 3209336)
Joking aside, anyone else think that Mihawk will be taken down by someone else now?

No, but I'm ready to believe that Mihawk will be the next Strawhat. :p

james0246 2010-08-25 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 3209344)
I'll start with Usopp. Y'know, at first I had the impression that he was better suited for the armor-type Haki, but now that I think more and more about it, Mantra is probably best for him. That would actually improve his sniping skills severalfold, if you ask me (though I'm still quite certain that he won't reach Augur's level post-timeskip, of course). I also can't help but think that Mantra would benefit Robin as well, as she even stated herself that assassination was her specialty.....

Personally, I think Robin would do better with armor type. Specifically, her fruit is nigh on unstoppable simply because it is impossible to defend against - you can "defeat" the parts (the arms, legs and hands) through sheer strength, etc, but you cannot stop the parts from forming on your body (unless you are a Logia, which being an armor type would potentially negate). Then again, this would probably make Robin too powerful.

Continuing, Chopper would definetly have Mantra (and Nami and Usopp would as well). He would be able to do some absolutely amazing things with the ability and could probably "sense" a patient's inner problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gin (Post 3209346)
Wait, thats not a valid excuse? :heh:

Touche :).

ashesatdusk 2010-08-25 01:25

I hope One piece Shippuden/Z better be just as good as One piece. I'm really disappointed in the 2 year time skip. I was really hoping it was 2 weeks.

andy 2010-08-25 01:26

I think Usopp would be better with armor type still it's not like SH can't learn both it just that people get better in a certain type.

marvelB 2010-08-25 01:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 3209357)
Continuing, Chopper would definetly have Mantra (and Nami and Usopp would as well). He would be able to do some absolutely amazing things with the ability and could probably "sense" a patient's inner problems.

Actually, I kinda figured that Chopper was better suited towards the armor type (since his strong sense of smell could work as an alternative to Mantra), though I suppose he could mix and match..... :p

'Course, I've pretty much had him pegged down as to learning Life Returns at some point, so he may not even focus much on Haki (if at all).....

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Small One (Post 3209367)
Actually I think the message is kind of retarded: What if the reporters didn't get a good photo of Luffys tattoo, or decided to not print a picture at all? The whole attack would have been in vain. I thought Rayleigh was more intelligent than this.

The plan was deliberately set up so it would gain media attention, so I see no flaw with Ray's plan. And frankly, it would be retarded if the newspapers didn't print a picture of Luffy, after all of the crazy incidents he was involved in. And really, would you call invading Marineford with an ex-Shichibukai and the Pirate King's right hand something minor (and so shortly after the war, no less)? ;)

morbosfist 2010-08-25 02:02

Now we know why there's such a huge break. Timeskip. Wonder how this will fit in with Law showing up in the New World. He didn't seem terribly eager to go. He's probably waiting for Luffy.

ashesatdusk 2010-08-25 02:31

What would be interesting to me if Law becomes Luffy's biggest rival. Like Gold Roger v.s White Beard.

Freya 2010-08-25 02:50

I like how Oda is doing his timeskip. Kishimoto used Kakashi's Gaiden....but the 4 weeks really lets it sink for the fans to wait.

Kallen4life 2010-08-25 03:03

Quote:

Oda will be on a lengthy break after this chapter. There will be no new chapters of OP for the next four weeks, so don't expect any new chapters until around late September. I repeat: There will be no new chapter for the next four weeks.
this SUCKS

2 years is too much, I mean for training it's ok, but I cannot help but feel that BB should've already found the OP by then .. then again , noone has in 20+ years and it is highly likely that the actual path to it is extremely difficult even for Yonkou level, nevermind knowing where to go ..

it's just I feel like the SH's will miss out on a LOT in the NW in 2 years

but on the other hand they won't get reduced to dust (probably) like the majority of the other SPNovas

glad to know about Haki .. frankly it seems more convenient & broken to me then the DF's, but oh well

I don't like Zoro & Mihawk situation, but i guess we'll be able to say that if Zoro ever beats Mihawk it won't be a real victory because of this training :holywar:

I'd rather Mihawk keeps the title and Zoro just beats Shiryuu and satisfies with that .. alas

oh yeah, the cover is the most badass thing ever to exist

and as a personal wish - I want Croco-boy to get stronger too, otherwise I get the feeling it won't be just water that'll be a problem for him if he ever meets the SH's again .. seeing as how at least Luffy/Zoro/Sanji will likely be using armor Haki by then

on a side note - doesn't it seem weird that, appearantly, Mihawk doesn't or can't use Haki ? otherwise he should've been able to damage Jozu & Buggy .. maybe he's too apathetic to have enough ambition for Haki ? OR he thinks of it as a cheat (it kinda is) and makes himself rely only on sword-skills

still, this whole explanation doesn't satisfy me completely, seeing as how I'd expect EVERY single OP character we've seen that's more or less strong (floating in the upper circles, starting from the SPnovas) to have more then enough will to use Haki, yet a lot of them don't seem to use it .. unaware ? no training ?

Freya 2010-08-25 03:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kallen4life (Post 3209450)
this SUCKS

2 years is too much, I mean for training it's ok, but I cannot help but feel that BB should've already found the OP by then .. then again , noone has in 20+ years and it is highly likely that the actual path to it is extremely difficult even for Yonkou level, nevermind knowing where to go ..

but on the other hand they won't get reduced to dust (probably) like the majority of the other SPNovas

glad to know about Haki .. frankly it seems more convenient & broken to me then the DF's, but oh well

I don't like Zoro & Mihawk situation, but i guess we'll be able to say that if Zoro ever beats Mihawk it won't be a real victory because of this training :holywar:

I'd rather Mihawk keeps the title and Zoro just beats Shiryuu and satisfies with that .. alas

There are still 3 Yonkous left right? Just becauase BB has his h4x darkness power, remember that Ace went the distance against BB. So can you imagine Marco or even WB against BB? BB will probably go pillage other pirates and train and stuff.

Kallen4life 2010-08-25 03:14

Quote:

BB will probably go train
I find that hard to believe

but you're right about the Yonkou

marvelB 2010-08-25 03:43

Quote:

Actually, I think there's a benefit to this. See, rather then having the Straw-Hats sail out right when the world is smack-dab in the middle of transitioning to a new pirate age, they'll literally AND figuratively be sailing out to a new world in two years' time, once all of the chaos has settled down somewhat. Think about it: By this time, we'll have a new marine fleet admiral. Buggy and various other pirates (most likely supernovas) will have probably have become Shichibukai. Blackbeard may have become the next emperor by this time. Maybe Drake will turn out to have joined Kaidou's crew or something. It will all come as a big shock to the Straw-Hats (and more importantly, US) to learn what events transpired in the world while they were busy training. To me, that's more interesting storytelling than simply having them continue their adventure while the world is in the middle of reconstructing itself.....

Quote:

on a side note - doesn't it seem weird that, appearantly, Mihawk doesn't or can't use Haki ? otherwise he should've been able to damage Jozu & Buggy .. maybe he's too apathetic to have enough ambition for Haki ? OR he thinks of it as a cheat (it kinda is) and makes himself rely only on sword-skills

Who said he can't? ;) The only reason he didn't cut Jozu was because his attack was intended for Whitebeard (he clearly pointed this out before attacking him, even). I'm pretty sure that attack of his was intended to cut human flesh, not diamond. As for Buggy, I imagine it's a similar case (though in this case we just swap "diamond" for "splitman"). Of course, that didn't prevent poor Buggy from getting blown up by his own bomb....... :p

Kallen4life 2010-08-25 03:49

Quote:

Who said he can't?
well it is a possibility .. although the idea that you can swing a sword differently to cut flesh or diamond (other that just the strength of the swing, since this attack on WB was obviously one of the strongest of his - it was even called the strongest slash in the world) seems weird to me .. I'll just stick with not being able to cut diamond with pure power alone (it IS diamond) .. but if he can hear the breath of things ala Zoro vs Mr.1 did, then that's different .. I imagine he must attune his senses to the target before slicing

or maybe it wasn't enough because it was rather long-range .. in melee with his sword actually hitting the opponent maybe he can damage diamond

mechalord 2010-08-25 04:19

The length of the timeskip is sort of odd. Luffy has only spent about a year with the likes of Zoro, Nami, and Usopp. He's spent less with some of the others.

He asked them to wait for 2 years.

As for Usopp? Usopp ... 2 years in that place? Whoa.

Xacual 2010-08-25 04:50

Personally I think the most interesting thing is that this means Robin will be with Dragon for 2 years. I have to admit that I'm more interested in what will happen for her than the others since they seem to be staying in one place to train.

Kallen4life 2010-08-25 04:53

Robin will seduce Dragon and become Luffy's mom :O

j/k

but yeah, her experience might be the most interesting