AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Past Macross Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Macross: Do You Remember Love (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=22628)

Renaissance Otaku 2004-10-21 22:46

Macross: Do You Remember Love

I noticed that this was listed as being licensed. By whom? Anime News Network lists it as "License Expired". I've heard nothing of any other company having the rights to it.

Enron 2004-10-22 00:00

Its been expired for a long time. There were 2 vhs releases of it (to my knowledge) in the US...one under the title "Clash of the Bionoids" and the other as simply "Macross". Last time i saw either one of these tapes at a retail location was 1996. The license (among macross fandom anyways) has long been considered expired. Several other sources list it as "expired". The companies that released the VHS tapes are said to no longer exist, and at a con this summer, Harmony Gold (the ones who own the US rights to SDF Macross tv and who CLAIM to have rights to everything else macross under the sun from time to time) was asked point-blank about DYRL. Their answer was something like "We'd like to have it, but we don't, and who knows if we can try thanks to that mess in japan" (a reference to the Macross dispute between Big West/Tatsunoko). This would seem to suggest that no one currently holds the R1 rights to DYRL.

Bayoab can explain this better, as I think he was the one who asked.

Renaissance Otaku 2004-10-22 19:11

Thanks for the info. So if it really is no longer licensed, why is it listed as such on AnimeSuki?

Ayu-ayu 2004-10-23 05:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renaissance Otaku
Thanks for the info. So if it really is no longer licensed, why is it listed as such on AnimeSuki?

I've heard that ADV and Harmony GOld have some sort of deal going on it now, and in fact I saw Toynami was showing a line of Macross: Do You Remember Love toys--under that English title--at a very recent toy fair as their latest license (implying a tie-in with a US release of the film under the original title). I don't think anything has been officially stated yet, though.

Enron 2004-10-23 10:02

Harmony Gold only has toy rights to DYRL. Like i said earlier, HG was asked POINT BLANK about the movie, and said "WE DONT HAVE IT".

Ayu-ayu 2004-10-23 17:29

I don't dispute that at all. All I heard was it may be some sort of arrangement through ADV that somehow might also involve (in what capacity I have no clue other than perhaps the merchandising) HG. :) Frankly I rather not see HG involved, though. I'm sure the licensing deal must be something of a nightmare, if this is truly going through.

Cort 2004-10-24 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renaissance Otaku
I noticed that this was listed as being licensed. By whom? Anime News Network lists it as "License Expired". I've heard nothing of any other company having the rights to it.

From time to time I've seen this movie aired on Action Encore, I don't think I've seen it played in the last 2 years though...that and you can still find it and purchase it even if it isn't licensed, which is probably why AnimeSuki has it listed. Then again I'd bet money a lot of people don't own VCRs anymore, so they'd all be screwed :heh:

Renaissance Otaku 2004-10-25 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cort
From time to time I've seen this movie aired on Action Encore, I don't think I've seen it played in the last 2 years though...that and you can still find it and purchase it even if it isn't licensed, which is probably why AnimeSuki has it listed. Then again I'd bet money a lot of people don't own VCRs anymore, so they'd all be screwed :heh:

Action plays Macross Plus and Macross II, they've never played DYRL to my knowledge. I have seven VCRs btw. ^_^

bayoab 2004-10-26 02:17

HG said something like: "We cannot get the license for this until Big West and Tomino solve their differences." Nobody has the DVD rights to DYRL. As to what happened to Best Video's rights... nobody really knows. Some investor somewhere might be sitting with them. They might still be valid and somewhere in an even more complicated mess. However, nobody really wants to investigate what happened to them...

gohmifune 2008-01-18 02:15

I remember asking Robert Woodhead at Animeigo about why they didn't have the movie, and if I remember correctly, it isn't a licensing issue, its a cost issue. No one has it because it is one of the most expensive anime license out there.

getfresh 2009-02-03 10:27

I was just wondering what you all thought of the release my group FLF just did of this movie. We attempted to give the highest quality version to date. Offering multiple script version with zentradi tl'd or not, karaoke, or not, etc... feedback is appreciated since this was a labor of love.

justinstrife 2009-02-03 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by getfresh (Post 2196063)
I was just wondering what you all thought of the release my group FLF just did of this movie. We attempted to give the highest quality version to date. Offering multiple script version with zentradi tl'd or not, karaoke, or not, etc... feedback is appreciated since this was a labor of love.

I'll go get it and give you a report this weekend. I'm a HUGE fan of DYRL. I own the first VHS English release(God the voices were horrible), and the Japanese DVD.

Thank you for spending the time to release a HQ version. Thought I'd get that part out of the way first. :heh:

Renaissance Otaku 2009-02-03 12:11

I had no idea you guys were working on this project. Talk about stealth. I'm happy to see it on here, given that the Bakawolf is badly overencoded and the current best G_P release is not. I must mention that the timing's interesting. I'd recently argued with someone elsewhere over the merits of the two (G_P's better picture and improved subs/BG's non-hardsubbed karaoke [I choosing better quality over complete softsubs]). This'll shut him up. ^_^ I'll have to check it out once I clear space.

The multiple translations you mention are interesting. Is this a completely new translation, like NLA's edition, or based off the Macross World script, like G_P and Bakawolf? I assume the former. Were any of the video glitches taken care of (excessive grain for example).

Though I suppose I'll learn soon enough. Sorry for the probably needless questions.

Sniped as usual...

Shame you guys didn't wait for the launch day on Saturday.

getfresh 2009-02-03 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renaissance Otaku (Post 2196190)
I had no idea you guys were working on this project. Talk about stealth. I'm happy to see it on here, given that the Bakawolf is badly overencoded and the current best G_P release is not. I must mention that the timing's interesting. I'd recently argued with someone elsewhere over the merits of the two (G_P's better picture and improved subs/BG's non-hardsubbed karaoke [I choosing better quality over complete softsubs]). This'll shut him up. ^_^ I'll have to check it out once I clear space.

The multiple translations you mention are interesting. Is this a completely new translation, like NLA's edition, or based off the Macross World script, like G_P and Bakawolf? I assume the former. Were any of the video glitches taken care of (excessive grain for example).

Though I suppose I'll learn soon enough. Sorry for the probably needless questions.

Sniped as usual...

Shame you guys didn't wait for the launch day on Saturday.

We used the resources if 3 scripts from past fansubs (VHS Days) as a reference, and Had a TL do it from scratch as well had 3 ppl doing research into terms and proper verbage for the time period. Also the majority or the karaoke are from our 2012 release which had just as much research done on it and was from scratch. The source we used was from the new remastered DVD which Mamo-chan owns personally. So I believe the only one coming near this release in quality will be NLA's

Renaissance Otaku 2009-02-03 13:34

Are you are referring to translation quality, picture, or overall? Not counting bootleg or VHS fansub rips, yours is the fourth hi-quality fansub release I've come across, and the third to use the (rather spotty) HD remaster. Of these, only yours and NLA's uses their own script (the only one until this to get the "Adoclass Fleet to Macross" line right. Everyone else just says "Britai" Thanks for that). The only downside to NLA's translation was the absence of Zentran words, like "what?" instead of "Yak?". NLA's uses the old DVD, and when it came to the remaster, G_P's was the best of the two previous versions in terms to picture and subs (though they hardsubbed the karaoke for people with old machines), so it was always a shame that it was harder to get. So I'd expect your release to be on par with G_P's overall, given my knowledge of LE's previous work and with NLA's in regards to unique script (even the old bootlegs were in line with the MW version). So it's really a matter of G_P vs this when it comes to the remaster, and then, only really to picture quality as this appears to have it beat for those wanting full softsubs. NLA's stands alone since it's source is different.

Looking at your release as it downloads, picture quality is definitely better than Bakawolf's in regards to grain control, going by the pattern on Minmay's bed, which is obliterated in theirs. I notice three subs. Could you elaborate on the differences between the three outside of the descriptions, particularly in regards to Zentradi. I notice the notes translates the Zentradi at least, like NLA. Though Bedolza's "Fire" line is in english on both. I'm no expert on Japanese, but I always though "gadros" was zentran. Maybe I'm wrong (probably).

Thanks. I'll look it over more latter. The subs are looking good, and it's definitely the best remaster version on Asuki at least, which means a lot to fans like me.

getfresh 2009-02-03 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renaissance Otaku (Post 2196299)
Are you are referring to translation quality, picture, or overall? Not counting bootleg or VHS fansub rips, yours is the fourth hi-quality fansub release I've come across, and the third to use the (rather spotty) HD remaster. Of these, only yours and NLA's uses their own script (the only one until this to get the "Adoclass Fleet to Macross" line right. Everyone else just says "Britai" Thanks for that). The only downside to NLA's translation was the absence of Zentran words, like "what?" instead of "Yak?". NLA's uses the old DVD, and when it came to the remaster, G_P's was the best of the two previous versions in terms to picture and subs (though they hardsubbed the karaoke for people with old machines), so it was always a shame that it was harder to get. So I'd expect your release to be on par with G_P's overall, given my knowledge of LE's previous work and with NLA's in regards to unique script (even the old bootlegs were in line with the MW version). So it's really a matter of G_P vs this when it comes to the remaster, and then, only really to picture quality as this appears to have it beat for those wanting full softsubs. NLA's stands alone since it's source is different.

Looking at your release as it downloads, picture quality is definitely better than Bakawolf's in regards to grain control, going by the pattern on Minmay's bed, which is obliterated in theirs. I notice three subs. Could you elaborate on the differences between the three outside of the descriptions, particularly in regards to Zentradi. I notice the notes translates the Zentradi at least, like NLA. Though Bedolza's "Fire" line is in english on both. I'm no expert on Japanese, but I always though "gadros" was zentran. Maybe I'm wrong (probably).

Thanks. I'll look it over more latter. The subs are looking good, and it's definitely the best remaster version on Asuki at least, which means a lot to fans like me.

I meant as far as translation, editing, and such go. In our default subs file all the zentran is in romanized zentran. In one of the other sub files all zentran is translated. This encludes the uncommon zentran, i.e. when they are talking about defolds of other fleets and some of the attack orders. Those took us some time to create proper translations for since zentran is basicly like a 6 year old child talking. The issue with that "Fire" line is that it has mucky audio. We attempted to the best that we could to keep the zentran in zentran in lines like that in the main version and translated them in one of the sub-script versions. The grain in our version is very low, Nicholi who is regarded as one of the best encoders of older media spent a fair amount of time reducing this grain, and I was personally amazed at just how much background detail that I had never seen before was present. I own the official Bigwest VCD's, clash of the bionoids VHS, 2 different SVHS masters of fansubs from long ago, and have watched NLA's version, and have never once noticed some of the things I saw this time around. The final sub version has the same dialogue as the first version, it just has no karaoke, as I felt that at times the karaoke covered up the action in scenes and honestly is really not needed to enjoy the movie.

Renaissance Otaku 2009-02-03 14:32

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the main track with untranslated Zentran (and the proper Macross spelling of "Minmay" and use of "miclone" instead of "micron"). I agree that the remaster did bring out some lost details in the blacks due to it's tweaking of the contrast. Though it also highlighted the film's incessant soft spots and that unfortunate frame glitch at the battle's end. I either own or have seen what you have as well, including the actual remaster DVD , so I know what you mean. The DVD is horribly grainy, even for someone that appreciates such marks of film making like myself. The fansubs all look better in that regard, though as I mentioned, Bakawolf took it a tad too far.

Regarding the translated Zentran, I did notice that the interrogation scene is the same regarding "debran" on both tracks, which is later changed to "enemy" in the escape scene, and Exadol's "deculture". I assume this was just a matter of not knowing how to adapt it? It seems a tad inconsistent, but I can understand the hardships.

March 2009-02-03 15:58

So where is a Macross fan to find this newly translated version of DYRL?

getfresh 2009-02-03 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renaissance Otaku (Post 2196364)
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate the main track with untranslated Zentran (and the proper Macross spelling of "Minmay" and use of "miclone" instead of "micron"). I agree that the remaster did bring out some lost details in the blacks due to it's tweaking of the contrast. Though it also highlighted the film's incessant soft spots and that unfortunate frame glitch at the battle's end. I either own or have seen what you have as well, including the actual remaster DVD , so I know what you mean. The DVD is horribly grainy, even for someone that appreciates such marks of film making like myself. The fansubs all look better in that regard, though as I mentioned, Bakawolf took it a tad too far.

Regarding the translated Zentran, I did notice that the interrogation scene is the same regarding "debran" on both tracks, which is later changed to "enemy" in the escape scene, and Exadol's "deculture". I assume this was just a matter of not knowing how to adapt it? It seems a tad inconsistent, but I can understand the hardships.

In the interrogation scene as well as others where that is, it was left that way because they were mixing zentran and japanese. That was the effect the film makers wanted to begin with so we left it in that intact state.

Renaissance Otaku 2009-02-04 04:57

I get that, and appreciate it, but I meant that it was that way even in the 'all zentran in english' track. It's the only scene like that on track 2, so it seems kind of odd.

Nice to see another MW-er on the board, Mr March. The version's on the main ASuki site.