AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sword Art Online (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   (L) Sword Art Online - Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=103523)

Kunagisa 2011-04-20 20:37

Sword Art Online - Light Novel Discussion

Sword Art Online
ソードアート・オンライン

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/8...lquklss500.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baka-Tsuki
Escape was impossible until it was cleared; a game over would mean an actual "death"―.
Without knowing the "truth" of the mysterious next generation MMO, 'Sword Art Online(SAO)', approximately ten thousand users logged in together, opening the curtains to this cruel death battle.
Participating alone in SAO, protagonist Kirito had promptly accepted the "truth" of this MMO.
And in the game world, a gigantic floating castle named 'Aincrad', he distinguished himself as a solo player.
Aiming to clear the game by reaching the highest floor, Kirito riskily continued alone.
Because of a pushy invitation from a female warrior and rapier expert, Asuna, he teamed up with her.
That encounter brought about an opportunity to call out to the fated Kirito―.

The series is divided into 2 serializations: Web and Dengeki Bunko version. Following info is from Wiki, author's webpage, tomtkp@LK etc.

Web Version
SAO Main Story
SWORD ART ONLINE (SAO1)
SWORD ART ONLINE 2 (SAO2) FAIRY DANCE
SWORD ART ONLINE 3 (SAO3) DEATH GUN

SWORD ART ONLINE 4( SAO4) ALICIZATION
Chapters
7*

308**
Stage
SAO
ALO
GGO
UW
*Length varies between chapters.
**Not typo.

SAO Gaiden
SAOex01
SAOex02
SAOex03
SAOex04

SAOex05
SAOex06
SAOex07
Title
The Black Knight
Four Days
Heart's Temperature
Zekken* (+Epilogue)

Kennai Jikan: A Murder Case in the Area (+ Gaiden **)
Red Nose Reindeer
Moon's Cradle (On Hiatus, currently on ch. 13)
Stage
SAO
SAO
SAO
ALO
SAO
SAO
UW

*絶剣 Absolute Sword (?)
**Will update title as soon as I fix my dead laptop.
RED: Has been adapted to Bunko version.

Others
CALIBRE
Sword Art Online Gaidenx1 16.5 (the legendary good-kids-shouldn't-read or Asuna-is-mai-waifu chapter)
Sword Art Online Gaidenx2 Doujinshi (sold in Comitia 92)
Sword Art Online Material Edition 1-6 Doujinshi (sold in Comitia 95, 2011/2/13)

So ... the lack of discussion of this awesome light novel series disturbs me (and Accel World, but that has no on-going translation), and I decided to make a topic.

Volume 7 was sold earlier this month (4/10?) I believe, and Kirito has gotten even more badass than ever. With the introduction of OSS (Original Sword Skill) you can pretty much assume Kirito's brain's somewhat overpowered in real life as well.
Spoiler for Volume 7:
Anyone else following this series desperately want an anime (manga's art improves but not by much still, or maybe I've just gotten used to the shoujo art)?

Will update more info later, let me know if any info's wrong.

PS: Some very minor spoilers are typed in white color to make the reading a bit smoother, so highlight over it.
PPS: Typing up this post was somewhat murderous.

Xacual 2011-04-20 20:46

I was actually surprised that there wasn't a topic for this light novel earlier when I looked. It's quite a good read and I'm looking forward to the rest of the ALO arc finished translation.

It's also nice that it takes place in the same world as Accel World story but that takes place 20 years or so later.

Asking for a slight spoiler but does Kirito run into Scilica, Lizbeth and Cline during the ALO arc? I saw them in novel images in the novel 6 as having characters in ALO but curious if he meets them during the course of the Volumes 3 and 4.

Icy.Tear 2011-04-21 02:32

Zekken can be confirmed as Absolute Sword.

I should catch up on the later volumes, but I don't even have time to read what I myself is translating, so that's a pipe dream.

I'll just content myself with following BT's progress.

Also, I hardly ever watch anime these days, not enough time-consumption ratio. Truth be told that I have so little time these days between LN/VN/Manga/TL that I can't sit still through one episode of anime unless I love the series with all my heart.

Nera Sleith 2011-04-21 03:09

I kinda skipped the last 8 chapters of SAO arc (because I was put off by the sudden development).
I enjoyed v2 more than v1 despite it being short stories compilation.

I finished ALO arc (v3-4) as well. It was epic and umm...
Spoiler for v3-4:

By the way, what was the stage for Alicization last Arc?
Edit: Oh, nevermind. It was in white font. I didn't notice.

With that length, I'm speculating the Alicization will be around 10 volumes of 300+ pages each.
It seems Kawahara-sensei is adding contents to bunko version not originally in the web version.
Like...
Spoiler for v4:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xacual (Post 3579268)
Asking for a slight spoiler but does Kirito run into Scilica, Lizbeth and Cline during the ALO arc? I saw them in novel images in the novel 6 as having characters in ALO but curious if he meets them during the course of the Volumes 3 and 4.

Spoiler for v4:

Xacual 2011-04-21 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nera Sleith (Post 3579645)
Spoiler for v4:

No I meant Online because in novel 6 there are images showing them all in the ALO world playing characters but I didn't know if he ran into them during the ALO arc or if they had made the characters later. Judging by your reply I can take it that he didn't meet them during his clear of the game.

Nera Sleith 2011-04-21 03:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xacual (Post 3579660)
No I meant Online because in novel 6 there are images showing them all in the ALO world playing characters but I didn't know if he ran into them during the ALO arc or if they had made the characters later. Judging by your reply I can take it that he didn't meet them during his clear of the game.

Oh, I didn't know they were playing ALO in GGO arc. (I just started reading it)

But yeah, during the events of v3-4, Kirito didn't meet them in ALO.

...unless they are Alicia and Sakuya, that is.

Xacual 2011-04-21 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nera Sleith (Post 3579665)
Oh, I didn't know they were playing ALO in GGO arc. (I just started reading it)

But yeah, during the events of v3-4, Kirito didn't meet them in ALO.

...unless they are Alicia and Sakuya, that is.

Nah they aren't, going by the images on BT, they used the same names as in SAO. Scilica being a Cait Sith and Lizbeth being a leprechaun.

Sakuyakun 2011-04-21 13:28

Read the first volume and love it. I'm just waiting till the rest to be translated

Xacual 2011-04-21 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakuyakun (Post 3580228)
Read the first volume and love it. I'm just waiting till the rest to be translated

Volume 3 is translated now, you could skip ahead and read that since volume 2 are just side stories that happened in between the time skip that happened in volume 1.

Also wow at volume 3, pretty good ending. I'm greatly amused by Suguha's reactions.

Nera Sleith 2011-04-21 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakuyakun (Post 3580228)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xacual (Post 3580321)
Volume 3 is translated now, you could skip ahead and read that since volume 2 are just side stories that happened in between the time skip that happened in volume 1.

Also wow at volume 3, pretty good ending. I'm greatly amused by Suguha's reactions.

The part about Yui is untranslated though (It's v2c3).
But skipping it would be no problem at all because they gave a reexplanation about her in volume 3.

Oh, Scilica and Lizbeth will appear later as well, so reading the partial volume 2 translations is recommended so you would have a background of who they are and what their relationships to Kirito are.

Kunagisa 2011-04-21 21:40

Volume 8 info confirmed. It'll be (ex)Calibur + Kennai Jikan + an original short story.

http://twitter.com/#!/kunori <-- guy's twitter if someone want to follow it.

... which means volume 9 is VERY LIKELY going to be ALICIZATIONNNNNN, the "core" of the story.

AlaAlba 2011-04-21 23:00

oh, this is nice, I surprised no topic of this epic serie. I still have to read volume 7, the gaidens, and alicization.

the gaiden ones in red have been adapted to bunko? In what volume if I may ask? then I must have read it without realizing it then.

Nera Sleith 2011-04-21 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlaAlba (Post 3580907)
the gaiden ones in red have been adapted to bunko? In what volume if I may ask? then I must have read it without realizing it then.

v2:
SAO Web Gaiden 1 - The Black Knight <黒の剣士>
SAO Web Gaiden 2 - Four Days (朝霧の少女 <Morning Dew Girl> in bunko)
SAO Web Gaiden 3 - Heart's Temperature (Warmth of the Heart) <ココロの温度>
SAO Web Gaiden 6 - Red Nose Reindeer <赤鼻のトナカイ>

v7:
SAO Web Gaiden 4 - Zekken <絶剣>

tsunade666 2011-04-21 23:10

what is the story of ALICIZATION to begin with? I heard that it's about Kazuto playing into... not sure if it's a game but more like interacting with the A.I. and his memories there are wipe out while he logs out. And it sure is loong 300+ chapters.

I like vol 2 side stories more than some part in vol 1. And I just like Suguha more than Asuna.

If for the girl ranks Suguha > Silica > Liz > Asuna.

She's my least like or more like I don't like her but I don't dislike her type of characters. The introduction of her in vol 1 just didn't help. She just pops out of no where XD And even in vol 2 explanation about her doesn't help when I read the story of Liz and Silica. Heck Yui is more appealing for me.

Nera Sleith 2011-04-21 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsunade666 (Post 3580926)
I like vol 2 side stories more than some part in vol 1. And I just like Suguha more than Asuna.

If for the girl ranks Suguha > Silica > Liz > Asuna.

She's my least like or more like I don't like her but I don't dislike her type of characters. The introduction of her in vol 1 just didn't help. She just pops out of no where XD And even in vol 2 explanation about her doesn't help when I read the story of Liz and Silica. Heck Yui is more appealing for me.

Same here. That's the very exact reason I enjoyed v2 than v1 and why I skipped the last 8 chapters of v1. Although if I have free time I would go back and read the chapters I skipped.

This is probably one case where the factor for generic harem series that protagonist guys shouldn't establish a romantic relationship with the main heroine in early stage of the plot is a plus. That would be bad for another girls. Since Kirito is a badass character, girls would inevitably fall for him. But since he already have a girlfriend, they would just keep their feelings on themselves, give up on chasing after him. And while Kirito is busy flirting with Asuna, the girls can't help but feel jealousy.

Maybe I'm just being biased here, since I really like Suguha more than Asuna.
Asuna is just too bland or generic for my taste.

tsunade666 2011-04-21 23:47

your not biased. Kirito also likes to play with girls when Asuna was not around even though it's not intentional but Asuna was the one who made the first moved among all the other girls. While Kirito playing in the front line a beautiful girl just ended up liking her I was really WTF is that. Even though I read the reason. It's just doesn't do me good.

Kirito still continue to play with girls while he already had a girlfriend XD or maybe that's just his nature in games because his different in real life. In GGO who was the girl? it looks like she knew Kirito and invite him to play it.

AlaAlba 2011-04-22 01:47

lol, I skipped the WHOLE volume 2 because it's a flashback, or a gaiden now that I know it. and Asuna didn't pop out from somewhere just like that, if you read the last few chapters of volume 1, the author does explain why Asuna tries to get close to Kirito and I think it's quite good, at least for me.

I'm actually thought the same like you Tsunade666, "wtf with this girl she's forcing herself to our hero without reason!?" was what I thought, before I read the later chapter.

Volume 2 is about Kirito turning into the lonely fighter after he joined a guild but hid his true level to them which later indirectly caused the death of members of that guild no?
is there any other stories that is interesting? :p

edit: I somewhat think Kirito is stupid to "delete" his SAO account/avatar and started all new one. Does it mention somewhere about the reason? because starting from 0 is just a full waste of time. I believe Asuna didn't delete her or did she?

Xacual 2011-04-22 02:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlaAlba (Post 3581231)
lol, I skipped the WHOLE volume 2 because it's a flashback, or a gaiden now that I know it. and Asuna didn't pop out from somewhere just like that, if you read the last few chapters of volume 1, the author does explain why Asuna tries to get close to Kirito and I think it's quite good, at least for me.

I'm actually thought the same like you Tsunade666, "wtf with this girl she's forcing herself to our hero without reason!?" was what I thought, before I read the later chapter.

Volume 2 is about Kirito turning into the lonely fighter after he joined a guild but hid his true level to them which later indirectly caused the death of members of that guild no?
is there any other stories that is interesting? :p

edit: I somewhat think Kirito is stupid to "delete" his SAO account/avatar and started all new one. Does it mention somewhere about the reason? because starting from 0 is just a full waste of time. I believe Asuna didn't delete her or did she?

All SAO characters were deleted by Kayaba at the end of Volume 1. ALO is a completely different game, he has to make a new character. Though there are some circumstances that make this not as clear cut.

I suggest reading the volume 2 translations, they aren't crazily important in the grand scheme of the plot but I, and it seems others as well, found them a better read than volume 1 at least.

tsunade666 2011-04-22 02:50

READ VOLUME 2

Interesting characters are introduce there. It also shows Asuna's pov and reasons. It also shows that she is changing when she met Kirito. But that didn't justify when your talking to a friend which ended up liking the same guy.

Kirito is still dense back then and didn't care Asuna's advancement. Considering Asuna only win Kirito's heart when the time for SAO is ending. It's only been a week? or is it a month? not sure but it all begin when Kirito revealed his pass to Asuna or more like it all begun when those two party together.

Silica's story and Liz is sad. Yui's introduction is also nice. READ VOL 2 though it's still not fully translated.

At least Silica's story is finish and a bit of LIZ. READ IT! it's more fan than vol 1.

Xacual 2011-04-22 03:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsunade666 (Post 3581314)
READ VOLUME 2

Interesting characters are introduce there. It also shows Asuna's pov and reasons. It also shows that she is changing when she met Kirito. But that didn't justify when your talking to a friend which ended up liking the same guy.

Kirito is still dense back then and didn't care Asuna's advancement. Considering Asuna only win Kirito's heart when the time for SAO is ending. It's only been a week? or is it a month? not sure but it all begin when Kirito revealed his pass to Asuna or more like it all begun when those two party together.

Silica's story and Liz is sad. Yui's introduction is also nice. READ VOL 2 though it's still not fully translated.

At least Silica's story is finish and a bit of LIZ. READ IT! it's more fan than vol 1.

Asuna was basically running into him on purpose every couple of days for over 6 months by the time we see them interact in volume 1 I think. Judging by his reactions in volume 1 you can tell he had a crush on her to a degree too though so it wasn't entirely one sided. Kirito and Asuna established their relationship about 2.5 weeks before SAO ended.

I really like Scilica's story, Kirito establishing the dominance of a high level versus mid levels was great.