AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Playback Help (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Some help with Codecs (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=9845)

dizzyd3280 2004-03-21 09:29

Some help with Codecs

Hi!

I got prob wif my codecs (I've already tried the guided media configuration). The problem is not that I couldn't watch my animes, but I couldn't watch them at their best quality. Recently, I just formatted and reinstall Windows XP SP1 to my PC thus all the old codecs were gone. So i tried to use the media guide. Of course the animes work, it's just that i have some colour distortion when playing them in wmp classic or WMP9.0, and the resolution of the anime itself is smaller. This did not happen before I format my PC. I've tried to install most of my old codecs, but that doesn't help either. I know it's not a big deal, but if someone have a solution, it'd be great to hear it. Thanks!

xris 2004-03-21 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyd3280
Hi!

I got prob wif my codecs (I've already tried the guided media configuration). The problem is not that I couldn't watch my animes, but I couldn't watch them at their best quality. Recently, I just formatted and reinstall Windows XP SP1 to my PC thus all the old codecs were gone. So i tried to use the media guide. Of course the animes work, it's just that i have some colour distortion when playing them in wmp classic or WMP9.0, and the resolution of the anime itself is smaller. This did not happen before I format my PC. I've tried to install most of my old codecs, but that doesn't help either. I know it's not a big deal, but if someone have a solution, it'd be great to hear it. Thanks!

You don't mention which codecs you do have installed.

Try uninstalling all the codecs (because some interfere with others) and install just ffdshow for a start. Just download and install ffdshow-20030523.exe and see if that helps when you have just that one codec installed. Also, try using Media Player Classic (not sure if you meant that when you said 'wmp classic' because WMP and MPC are different beasties).

BTW, what anime did you try? Are you sure the download had completed on them because you can get that sort of distortion with incomplete files. Unlikely but still possible.

Since it used to work, chances are you currently have a set of codecs different from before and the way they interact is causing the problem.

dizzyd3280 2004-03-21 12:24

Hi, Thx for the reply! :) Well, I've tried what you suggested, but the same prob. Anyway, I'll try to list the codecs I had last time (before I format);
divx5.11, xvid, ac3filters, OggDS0995 and the older FFDShow (2002something). They worked perfectly fine last time. Note that for the divx codecs I was upgrading them for divx 5.0 i think (i'm not sure since it's so long time ago). The media player classic I'm talking about is the one which they recommend in the media guide page.

As for the animes, I think I've gotten the complete file, since I tried my old animes (which I burn to CD), and the result still the same :(

Anyway, there are 2 things that different from now and before format, the XP i'm using was not SP1, and I used different version of PowerDVD. Dunno whether that has any effect or not?

flammie 2004-03-21 15:50

How is the resolution 'smaller'? Like a 640 by 480 video file is playing at 320 by 240?

Try updating your video card drivers.

dizzyd3280 2004-03-21 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by flammie
How is the resolution 'smaller'? Like a 640 by 480 video file is playing at 320 by 240?

Try updating your video card drivers.

Err, I'm running on P4 2.4 and GeForce4MX and updated my driver regularly. What I mean by lower resolution is that, before the format took place the anime which is 640 by 480 is playing larger than that (before i even hit the full-screen). Right now it's playing at it's original size which 640 by 480.

flammie 2004-03-21 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyd3280
Err, I'm running on P4 2.4 and GeForce4MX and updated my driver regularly. What I mean by lower resolution is that, before the format took place the anime which is 640 by 480 is playing larger than that (before i even hit the full-screen). Right now it's playing at it's original size which 640 by 480.

So your only real problem is color distortion? Could you give an example of what you mean?

dizzyd3280 2004-03-21 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by flammie
So your only real problem is color distortion? Could you give an example of what you mean?

Hmmm, it's like you see some colour deterated. In the FF7 - Advent Childern preview. Before the format took place, I can view a very nice movie, but now ... well i can still view it smoothly, but some colour will detorate, like when the focus on cloud's face in the church, the background colour of the church will become 'blur'? hmmm, kinda hard to explain it in english (sorry, my english sux).