AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Devil Survivor [Manga] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=111436)

Kakkou 2012-04-03 12:19

Devil Survivor [Manga]

Official announcement.

Well, I figured I may as well make a thread for this to bring more attention to it (and avoid turning the Persona 4 anime thread into a DS discussion thread).

It's set to begin serialisation in Monthly Shonen Sirius, the same magazine as DS character designer Suzuhito Yasuda's Yozakura Quartet, from the 26th of May onwards.

The artist will be Satoru MATSUBA, who doesn't seem to have done anything but a shonen manga called Warasibe that ended in 2009.

If you're wondering why now after all this time, it's because Yasuda's editor ended up playing and clearing Overclocked despite not being much of a gamer. He then wanted a manga of it made. :heh:

I'm personally considering getting that issue of Sirius now. Shame it'll be monthly, it'll take forever for this to finish. I'm also excited to finally have a name to call the Protagonist other than Nekomimi. :heh:

Mura 2012-04-03 12:28

I've never played the Devil Survivor games so it would be nice to know what is going on through a manga. I will be looking out for this.

Shadow5YA 2012-04-03 14:01

Wait, why isn't Yasuda doing the art then? If his editor got involved, then why got also get the artist who was involved with the game too? It's not like Yasuda hasn't done manga before.

Kakkou 2012-04-03 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow5YA (Post 4089534)
Wait, why isn't Yasuda doing the art then? If his editor got involved, then why got also get the artist who was involved with the game too? It's not like Yasuda hasn't done manga before.

It's not often that the original artist ever gets involved with a manga adaptation of a project they're involved in, I think it's part of the whole "media mix" of franchises where they get different people to work on different parts of the franchise's media, perhaps to keep things fresh?

There is also the matter of the artist not being available to commit to an ongoing serialisation. Yasuda still has Yozakura Quartet to work on amongst other projects he's involved in. This year he's been busy illustrating for the the upcoming DRRR!! BD Box and cover song compilation album as well as being the character designer for some Digimon video game.

That said, being a huge fan of him I would be totally ecstatic at the thought of a DS manga by Yasuda himself.

Dengar 2012-04-04 08:15

26th of may eh? Gotta remember this one.

<3 Devil Survivor

Shadow5YA 2012-04-04 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakkou (Post 4090026)
It's not often that the original artist ever gets involved with a manga adaptation of a project they're involved in, I think it's part of the whole "media mix" of franchises where they get different people to work on different parts of the franchise's media, perhaps to keep things fresh?

Well... yeah, that's normally the case, but I was hoping Yasuda would be an exception because he has done manga before. Oh well, doesn't matter now.

Anyway, I wonder what route the manga would follow.

Soji 2012-04-04 09:01

Shadow5YA@ This something I wonder myself. There is no canon ending from what i know. They can chose whatever they want.

Shadow5YA 2012-04-04 10:07

Well, I would consider Gin/Haru's ending to be the truest ending for multiple reasons, but yeah, there is enough freedom to go with any of the endings.

Soji 2012-04-04 10:11

Shadow5YA@ Well I agree with you here. If we want to chose one a canon or true then that one would be the one to chose. But because altus don't say what ending it's the canon one the author can do what ending/route he want.That's was the reason for my line. Still i'm curios to see how they will made the story in manga .there is part of the story /game that i want see more or better more reaction from the characters and the manga can do this if they do good job.

Shadow5YA 2012-04-04 11:45

Well, unless...

Spoiler for Day 4(?):

All of the routes should be the same up until the 7th day. Considering this is a monthy manga, that'll be a long way to go unless they decide to rush things.

Soji 2012-04-04 11:48

Shadow5YA@ Yeah unless that happen.
Well that's true,but i don't mind if they take their time. I know the story,i just curios to see how they will play the story in the manga. And see characters behavior in the manga. And Mc name in the manga and behavior.

Angelic Cross 2012-04-05 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakkou (Post 4089421)
I'm also excited to finally have a name to call the Protagonist other than Nekomimi. :heh:

I just call him

Spoiler for MC spoilers:

It's canon, after all.:D

I'm expecting this to go the Gin Route. Though that does eliminate an Eighth Day arc for it.

Also, what'll make or break this manga for me is if Naoya
Spoiler for Naoya:

Kakkou 2012-04-26 04:50

One month away from the start of the manga! That issue of Sirius will come with a reversible Devil Survivor poster featuring Susuhito Yasuda's art on one side and Satoru Matsuba's on the other. This is what Matsuba's art looks like:

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7...lsurviv.th.jpg

It's not as good as Yasuda's but at least he seems to be trying to stick with the original style.

Kusa-San 2012-04-26 05:13

Can't wait for that :D (I'm playing DS 2 on DS these days)

Von Himmel 2012-04-26 14:12

I must say that it's pretty good...but well, compared to the original artist in which we're usually see then it might feels strange :heh: I don't really mind the characters design, but the MC still seems a bit off to me.

Kimidori 2012-05-28 02:32

did anyone found the scan or RAW yet? :D

Kakkou 2012-05-28 06:26

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, which should hopefully be sometime this week.

Here's a look at the cover of the issue while we wait:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4...sirius7.th.jpg

Kakkou 2012-06-01 06:16

So I got my copy of Shonen Sirius yesterday. The double sided poster has Yasuda's Overclocked cover art on the first side and the cover image of the issue on the other.
Sorry about the lousy pics.

As for the manga itself, Nekomimi's name is Kazuya Minegi (峯岸一哉). Matsuba's art is alright but certainly nowhere as good as Yasuda's. I'm not quite fond of the way his faces look like when heads are drawn at certain angles though. They look disproportionate.

First chapter follows the game closely with a few extra bits like showing the victim of the Aoyama apartment incident being attacked. Yuzu's crush on Nekomi- Kazuya is also very apparent from the get go. Some minor difference from the game is that they meet up with Atsurou at Aoyama park where Kazuya briefly sees Naoya at a distance before the summoning program activates. Yuzu still summons a Pixie but Kazuya and Atsurou get an Ogre and Waira instead of Kobold and Kabuso. I'm really curious to see how they win against those for their first ever fight (with no skills and demons!). :heh:

Sample pages:
http://i.imgur.com/LHudGs.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/Q0oJUs.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/2hnTps.jpg

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this but I found it incredibly amusing that Kazuya was shown listening to Eminem through his headphones, "The Real Slim Shady" to be exact. Is this the mangaka's own taste in music showing? :heh:

Von Himmel 2012-06-01 07:21

The art is pretty good although it seems pretty stiffs... :(
Quote:

Yuzu still summons a Pixie but Kazuya and Atsurou get an Ogre and Waira instead of Kobold and Kabuso. I'm really curious to see how they win against those for their first ever fight (with no skills and demons!).
Godlike luck with ogre missing all of his angry hit attacks? :heh: I don't know how they're able to beat Waira though >_>;

Shadow5YA 2012-06-01 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Himmel (Post 4186788)
The art is pretty good although it seems pretty stiffs... :(

Godlike luck with ogre missing all of his angry hit attacks? :heh: I don't know how they're able to beat Waira though >_>;

If the P4 anime is any indication, they can take liberties with levels and stats.