AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Madoka Magica (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Dubbing of Madoka Magica (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=105895)

CrowKenobi 2011-07-29 23:20

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of Madoka Magica.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
Until the English cast list is finalized, post your speculation of who you want to be whom and the reason why (if you're so inclined). When the official cast list is announced, I'll edit this post and place the information here.

Have fun! :smile:

English cast so far announced (2011/12/16):
  • Madoka Kaname - Christine Marie Cabanos
  • Kyubey - Cassandra Lee
  • Sayaka Miki - Sarah Williams
  • Kyouko Sakura - Lauren Landa
  • Mami Tomoe - Carrie Keranen
  • Homura Akemi - Cristina Vee

Dark Paladin X 2011-07-30 00:38

First post! Anyways, my guess on the English dub cast:

Madoka- Hynden Walch
Sayaka- Laura Bailey
Kyoko- Jessica Boone
Homura- Cristina Vee
Mami- Monica Rial
Kyubey- Johnny Yong Bosch /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

AuraTwilight 2011-07-30 04:52

Kyubey should be Michelle Ruff. Cristina Vee would be better served playing a more emotional character, like Mami.

sa547 2011-07-30 05:12

^
Since Kyubey was played by a female by voicing it like a typical kid, it's also appropriate that there should be an American counterpart, so I think she'll do fine.

bhl88 2011-07-30 09:38

Michelle Ruff as Homura (no bakemonogatari dub)
Kari Wahlgren as Kagami Kyubey
Kate Higgins/Cassandra Lee as Kyoko
Shelby Lindley as Mami (both are wealthy [Mugi], so...)
Hynden Walch as Madoka (the pure innocence of Yutaka... fits Madoka)
Wendee Lee: Madoka's mother (I was just guessing)
Dave Mallow: Madoka's father (someone gave it as an idea)
Bryce Papenbrook: Kamijou (same)
Luci Christian: Madoka's brother (he played Honey in Ouran).
???: Sayaka

Akashin 2011-07-30 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl88 (Post 3709267)

I haven't heard the voice so I'm entirely guessing, but wouldn't that probably fit Hitomi better?

sa547 2011-07-30 12:26

I can only guess how the show would sound like... in Tagalog, as I'm more used to the localized version of anime being aired on TV, and I had made some online acquaintances with VAs.

bhl88 2011-07-30 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akashin (Post 3709280)
I haven't heard the voice so I'm entirely guessing, but wouldn't that probably fit Hitomi better?

I felt a Sanae in her....

Sanae: So my bread.... my bread is....
Hitomi: So you guys are... you guys are....
*runs away*
Hitomi: Secretly making love at midnight?!!!!!????
Sanae: Just a paperweight!!!!?????

FireChick 2011-07-31 15:21

Quote:

Holy cow! That's EXACTLY the same cast I thought of!...but I don't think Luci Christian can do Tatsuya. Doesn't she solely work for FUNimation?

NeoEevee 2011-07-31 15:21

The only VA I really want in this dub is Maxey Whitehead as Kyubey. As for everyone else... *goes to dig up her list from the other thread*

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoEevee (Post 3677406)
I just had the weirdest mental image... Laura Bailey as Kyouko, using a darker variant of the voice she uses for Maka Albarn.

Also, Vic Micnogna as Kyubey. *is shot a lot*

In all seriousness, here's my lineup for (part of) the main cast:

Michelle Ruff as Mami - Mami being a cool senior-type character, I'm picturing an odd blend of Yoko and Rukia's voices, depending on exactly how emotional Mami's getting at the moment.

Luci Christian as Madoka - has a cutesy, high-pitched voice, and is capable of a level of breathiness that gives off an air of innocence. Here's a scene from Princess Tutu where Duck isn't acting like a spazz. Watch it and tell me I'm wrong.

Aforementioned Laura Bailey as Kyouko - Just watch.

Trina Nishimura as Homura. Ahem.

As for Kyubey and Sayaka... no bleeping idea. \:p/ However, I think I'm a little too accustomed to the original to be able to listen to a dub. xD;

ACTUALLY, I LIED. Maxey Whitehead or Brittney Karbowski as Kyubey. Both are capable of innocent-sounding-yet-incredibly-creepy voices (Czeslaw Meyer, Selim Bradley), and let's face it - Kyubey sharing a voice with Alphonse Elric would be hilariously creepy, while sharing a voice with Selim Bradley would just be hilarious. Either actor could also bring out both Kyubey's cute and creepy side.

Still no idea who could be Sayaka though.

Weeks later, I still have no ideas for Sayaka.

bhl88 2011-07-31 20:45

I guess that means we have to listen to one of those PVs and pick Sayaka from there.

Zero Hurricane 2011-07-31 21:00

What about Stephanie Sheh as Madoka instead?

Triple_R 2011-08-02 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl88 (Post 3709267)

Pretty good list.

I'd stick with Cassandra Lee for Kyoko, and have Kate Higgins voice Sayaka. Just tell Kate to do her Saber voice for Sayaka, but up the pitch slightly. That seems reasonably fitting to me. The best I can think of right now, anyway. My only concern is that I don't know if Kate can pull off the Sayaka laughter at the end of Episode 7...

bhl88 2011-08-03 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Hurricane (Post 3711250)
What about Stephanie Sheh as Madoka instead?

Don't go, Mikuru.

Dark Paladin X 2011-08-04 01:23

Johnny Yong Bosch as Kyubey would be perfect guys, think of him using his Renton Thurston voice. Can bring out the obvious creepiness and maybe some cuteness. /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

FireChick 2011-09-25 08:50

I wonder when the English dub cast will be revealed? All the DVDs are released in Japan now, so I think we might gets some hints of a future release later next year.

darkchibi07 2011-09-26 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireChick (Post 3779512)
I wonder when the English dub cast will be revealed? All the DVDs are released in Japan now, so I think we might gets some hints of a future release later next year.

Aniplex of America does have a panel this Saturday in Anime Weekend Atlanta so maybe we'll hear more info there.

bhl88 2011-09-28 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkchibi07 (Post 3780816)
Aniplex of America does have a panel this Saturday in Anime Weekend Atlanta so maybe we'll hear more info there.

But I hope it's around May 1 or so.....

AdamEndless9 2011-10-03 18:13

Aniplex just posted that dubbing has started today and they'll reveal Madoka's voice actress at New York Comic Con:
http://twitter.com/aniplexUSA/status/120996982562111490
Quote:

"Exclusive! Madoka Magica Dubbing started Today. Who's acting as Madoka in this pic? Come to our Panel at @NY_Comic_Con "
http://p.twimg.com/Aa3eHVUCQAAOvco.jpg

blakstealth 2011-10-03 18:26

Goddammit, I need to know now!