AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   To Aru Majutsu no Index (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Touma's Power: What can he block ? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=80605)

kingsky123 2008-12-24 00:47

Touma's Power: What can he block ?

huh? shouldnt the beams stop? since it was casted by a magic power? i mean the girls railgun stopped

MrTerrorist 2008-12-24 01:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsky123 (Post 2124627)
huh? shouldnt the beams stop? since it was casted by a magic power? i mean the girls railgun stopped

Actually it's psychic power. Furthermore those were physical objects and Toma can only stop magical & psychic powers.

kingsky123 2008-12-24 01:17

yes but since he can stop the momentum of the railgun by just touching it with the hand, shouldnt the momentum for the I-beam stop as well? they were both powered by psychic energy anyway

ReddyRedWolf 2008-12-24 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsky123 (Post 2124665)
yes but since he can stop the momentum of the railgun by just touching it with the hand, shouldnt the momentum for the I-beam stop as well? they were both powered by psychic energy anyway

Well yeah if his hand is fast enough.

But also consider the weight of a beam.

Oh I cancelled your TK. Crap its falling on me.:heh:

One thing is for sure. When their hands met nothing happened.

I think Accelerator found Mr. Hero as a more interesting target than an Imouto.

Yes another one. :rolleyes: First Mikoto now a psycho.

Hell who knows if this keeps up maybe Touma will get a yandere package.

MrTerrorist 2008-12-24 04:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsky123 (Post 2124665)

The Railgun part from the Railgun manga is not canon because the mangaka did not do his/her research because if Mikoto did use her Railgun, she would have injured Toma since she actually shooting a coin at him not her electrical powers.

Burner of Anime 2008-12-24 05:40

There is still an element of psychic power when Mikoto uses the railgun, probably why Touma can still block it. Sure it has amazing velocity, except it somehow runs out after 1-0meters. On the other hand, Violent I-Beam attack here is akin to being pushed to fall/fly in his direction. It isn't Accellerator's power driving the attack, it's gravity going the other way to avoid him.

Chaos2Frozen 2008-12-24 06:00

I've always thought that Accelarator's Vector altering powers to fire his projectiles is different from Mikoto's railgun. Well that, and lets face it- Comparing a coin to an I-Beam :heh: ?

Then again, and I'm sure I'll be corrected on this soon enough, maybe Touma could stop it, but just didn't think he could. If I didn't recall wrongly, he was focused on avoiding them- And who could blame him? It's a freaking-ton-of construction support bar flying towards you!

ZeroForever 2008-12-24 09:14

the thing is if he really did stop the coin it makes no sense, since rail guns ammo is essential a piece of metal using electromagnetics shot at high enough speeds that it can pierce nigh anything.

So unless imagine breaker could stop the velocity or the image depictions are incorrect, the coin should just punch a hole though him regardless if it cancelled the electromagnetic powers as once it left her hand it should have already been fired and velocity established.

though honestly, even subconsciously there is no way he (a physically normal person) should be able to react fast enough to block lightning or a rail gun bullet.

kingsky123 2008-12-24 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeroForever (Post 2125089)
the thing is if he really did stop the coin it makes no sense, since rail guns ammo is essential a piece of metal using electromagnetics shot at high enough speeds that it can pierce nigh anything.

So unless imagine breaker could stop the velocity or the image depictions are incorrect, the coin should just punch a hole though him regardless if it cancelled the electromagnetic powers as once it left her hand it should have already been fired and velocity established.

though honestly, even subconsciously there is no way he (a physically normal person) should be able to react fast enough to block lightning or a rail gun bullet.

i hope he evolves to some amped up imagine breaker, being able to bolt out anyones powers by just touching them or something

ReddyRedWolf 2008-12-24 10:09

Well one fear Biri-biri had about Touma in the Railgun besides being serious on her (WTF does she want him to get serious or not? Is she M?) like a yankee delinquent is that he can turn her to normal girl...Permanently

One of the misconceptions of Mikoto about Touma's power is that it can seal her power, taking it away.

Of course she knows he is a hero that goes to damsels recue even if the girl is her.

That's what irritates her about Touma.

Touma makes her feel like a normal girl.

frubam 2008-12-24 10:55

My theory is that with the Railgun, the actual psychic power was, at the moment of impact to Touma's hand, still propelling the coin forward, so when Imagine Breaker stopped it, the coin no longer had any force, making the inertia null(ex: you push a box. As long as the force(in this case, you) push the box, it keeps moving. Once the force stops, the box doesn't move). Accelerator's power affects the object and its force is an after-effect of his power, which is why Touma can't stop them.

I still think it's impossible to react to the Railgun though, I don't know HOW he did that :confused:.

ZeroForever 2008-12-24 11:20

Railguns use two sliding or rolling contacts that permit a large electric current to pass through the projectile. This current interacts with the strong magnetic fields generated by the rails and this accelerates the projectile.

If I'm not mistaken in this case Biri uses her fingers as the coils contacts meaning once it's left her fingers the accelerated velocity of the coin should have already been established.

KaneDragon 2008-12-24 11:56

The coin is a solid object, with an existence independent of Mikoto's power. Regardless of whether Mikoto's power is still accelerating it, its speed and mass at the moment of negation are real. If Touma could block a railgun coin, then he'd be able to stop the iron bars, since it's all the same principle. If the latter is not the case, then the former was a mistake on the part of the Railgun manga. But looking back over the chapter, Touma never actually had the chance to try stopping the bars with his right hand, did he. He was too busy getting pelted with rocks, slammed in the chin, and so forth. He thought to himself that he couldn't, though, so I'm going with that.

Clarste 2009-02-14 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by frubam (Post 2125199)
(ex: you push a box. As long as the force(in this case, you) push the box, it keeps moving. Once the force stops, the box doesn't move)

Someone needs to get caught up on 17th century physics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaneDragon (Post 2125270)
The coin is a solid object, with an existence independent of Mikoto's power. Regardless of whether Mikoto's power is still accelerating it, its speed and mass at the moment of negation are real. If Touma could block a railgun coin, then he'd be able to stop the iron bars, since it's all the same principle. If the latter is not the case, then the former was a mistake on the part of the Railgun manga. But looking back over the chapter, Touma never actually had the chance to try stopping the bars with his right hand, did he. He was too busy getting pelted with rocks, slammed in the chin, and so forth. He thought to himself that he couldn't, though, so I'm going with that.

The problem with assuming that he can nullify "momentum caused by psychic powers" is that it implies some weird power to nullify the indirect effects of things. If he can nullify momentum, why can't he nullify displacement and make the objects teleport back to where they started? Why can't he nullify the damage he takes from being zapped by electricity? It becomes very weird once you let him nullify indirect effects. My take on it is that the manga writer simply didn't really understand what a railgun was, so I choose to ignore that part.

DmonHiro 2009-03-16 05:25

Actually, him stopping the railgun makes sense. He canceled the power that was pushing the coin that came from Mikoto. He can't do the same for Accelerator, since once the beams were launched, they were no longer "connected" to his powers.

Mikoto's railgun is like a push. She pushes the coin further. If she stops pushing (canceled), the coin returns to normal.

Accelerator's is like a throw. Once you throw something, it will travel according to the laws of physics. In base, AC's power just tells the object to "go that way".

MrTerrorist 2009-03-16 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmonHiro (Post 2275894)
Actually, him stopping the railgun makes sense. He canceled the power that was pushing the coin that came from Mikoto. He can't do the same for Accelerator, since once the beams were launched, they were no longer "connected" to his powers.

Mikoto's railgun is like a push. She pushes the coin further. If she stops pushing (canceled), the coin returns to normal.

Accelerator's is like a throw. Once you throw something, it will travel according to the laws of physics. In base, AC's power just tells the object to "go that way".

Read the quote above & does a facepalm.:T_T:

Oh god, not another one. Look, Toma cannot stop the coin fired from Mikoto's railgun NO MATTER WHAT! That part from the Railgun manga (which you should posting about at the Railgun board BTW.) is not canon. I would like explain the reasons but it will take 2 much of my time, just see the previous posts at the Railgun manga board why the Railgun will hurt Toma.

Keroko 2009-03-16 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmonHiro (Post 2275894)

Long story short: So does Railgun. A railgun uses magnetic fields to launch (or 'throw') an object. There is no 'pushing.' Once the coin is launched, it becomes a physical attack separate from Mikoto's ability.

However I'm curious, what does the novel have to say about this?

BlueDo 2009-03-16 14:30

Oh, so Railgun is a coin throw?
I thought it was just another strong electrical attack XD

Yep, it'd hurt Touma. Badly.

Keroko 2009-03-16 14:41

*cough* No, no, not at all. I'd advice watching the first and 22nd episodes to see it in action.

Though truth be told, the anime's latest episode has raised doubt on the claim that Touma can't stop a Railgun blast. He certainly had no problem stopping that golem dead in it's tracks.

Which is why I would like to see what the novel has to say about this. Right now, the manga seems to be the odd one out.

KaneDragon 2009-03-16 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 2276668)
Though truth be told, the anime's latest episode has raised doubt on the claim that Touma can't stop a Railgun blast. He certainly had no problem stopping that golem dead in it's tracks.

We've already gone over a decent explanation for that, though. The entire golem wasn't flying through space. Remove the magic and its motion is halted by sheer weight and rigid structure as it reverts to a block of rock.