AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Aliens : Colonial Marines (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=117841)

SaintessHeart 2013-02-11 08:00

Aliens : Colonial Marines

It is tomorrow. Anyone else planning to get this? Thoughts?

RRW 2013-02-11 08:22

apparently the game is bad... (based on early reception)

RWBladewing 2013-02-11 08:38

Assuming this video I saw of the game's enemy AI is legit then I will be staying far far away:

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)

GoddyofAus 2013-02-11 09:29

It's terrible. Stay as far away as herpes.

Waven 2013-02-11 09:32

From the gameplay footage I've watched it looks very shabby and ugly. I'm pretty sure that for a good singleplayer/coop experience Dead Space 3 (with all its flaws) will still be a more enjoyable space sci fi horror experience. As for the asymmetric competitive multiplayer part, I highly doubt this game can come even close to Natural Selection 2.

As much as it pains me to see another bad Alien game I still expect devastating user and journalist reviews to pile up over the next week.

Ak3mi 2013-02-11 09:35

Wouldn't go near it, pre purchase weapons and DLC announced. Like Waven said Shabby and ugly textures. They may of spent 6-8 years on it, doesn't really show.

Celestia Ludenberg 2013-02-11 09:52

I was really looking forward to this game. I heard it about in a Playstation Magazine a good few years ago and got excited because I liked the Aliens movie. But now people are saying it's bad, and I don't know if I should get it or not...

Kyero Fox 2013-02-11 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoddyofAus (Post 4550278)
It's terrible. Stay as far away as herpes.

Better off with this than Duke Nukem Forever. :heh:

barcode120x 2013-02-11 12:32

Drake posted about it in the Currently Playing thread and said it was pretty bad. I was looking at one of the demos at the game's main site and it doesn't look as great as I thought it'd be. I'll be sticking to NS2 for awhile then :p

@ Marionette
Should use half of those funds to get Natural Selection 2 if you haven't gotten it yet instead.

Waven 2013-02-11 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyero Fox (Post 4550420)
Better off with this than Duke Nukem Forever. :heh:

Same developer btw so...

...they did the borderlands series, though.

T-6000 2013-02-11 19:19

I have been planning on picking this one up once I got my PC upgraded, but after looking at gameplay footage........I think I'll just wait until this game is $10 or $5 on Steam.

I really don't want to sound like a Negative Nancy here, especially since I'm not only a big Sci-Fi buff but big into the Aliens (and Predator) series. But the gameplay footage I have been seeing aren't really impressing me. As RWBladewing has pointed out in the video, the A.I. can be atrocious. And not only in that video, but other gameplay footage I have seen. The AI can be quite solid at times, but more often than not the AI can be anywhere from mediocre to downright bad. Animations seem to be too stiff and generic. Especially when it comes to the Xenos. Their movements, their death animations, they all feel too stiff and generic. And I really don't like the look of their damage detail and blood. The Xeno Animation in AVP 3, their damage detail, and blood are actually better in comparison (well, at least IMHO). The story is ok (despite some plotholes and inconsistency with the Aliens Movie), but the dialogue feels forced. And annoying. The voice actors feel like they're not putting much effort into their roles and come off as being bland characters. I hate to see and point out so many flaws in Aliens: Colonial Marines since I have anticipated this game for a good while, especially since I am an Aliens Fans. But if a Game is flawed, than it is flawed and I can't see it any other way.

I haven't played the Borderland games, but ever since the Half-Life Expansions they have made products that have felt....mediocre to me. I have defended Gearbox in the past because of the amazing Half-Life expansions they made, but even I am starting to think that they were a one hit wonder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waven (Post 4550545)
Same developer btw so...

...they did the borderlands series, though.

Well to be fair, 3D Realms did most of the work and since it was an unfinished product, Gearbox picked up the game (and it's developers) and finished up the uncompleted parts. I won't be too hard on Gearbox for Duke Nukem Forever, but since they plan on making more Duke Nukem games in the future I will judge them on those future installments.

Ak3mi 2013-02-11 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marionette Cherry (Post 4550300)
I was really looking forward to this game. I heard it about in a Playstation Magazine a good few years ago and got excited because I liked the Aliens movie. But now people are saying it's bad, and I don't know if I should get it or not...

From what I have seen, if you enjoy the Ailens franchise or Sci-fi in general I am sure you will have fun for a while. I just wont be getting it because of the Pre-purchase guns and DLC stuff. Also I play on PC and I think its a straight port.

Waven 2013-02-12 06:25

And as expected, here come the reviews. Ofc one should take sites like metacritic with a grain of salt but a game that after less than a day gets this many bad reviews from critics and other gamers alike should definitely be avoided... unless you can get it for like 5 bucks to make fun of it.

Ak3mi 2013-02-12 08:14

PC gamer did well :p
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/aliens...arines-review/

That's a pretty shocking score.

T-6000 2013-02-12 17:35

Yup, the reviews for this game have been honestly brutal. And not only from critics but from people. Sure, I have came across Gearbox's staunch online defenders that think everything they touch turns to gold (I have dealt with these one sided people ever since the first Brothers in Arms game), I am hard pressed to find anyone that actually enjoyed this title. Normally I'd just shrug my shoulders and say "Oh well", but the disappointment is that much more of an impact since I am a fan of the Aliens series and I had hoped this one would be good. I know many people didn't care for the third Aliens versus Predator back at 2010 but I actually enjoyed it, but I'm starting to wonder if that will be perhaps the last Aliens based game I'll be enjoying (or even playing) for many, many years to come.

A couple of "interesting" reactions I'll be waiting for are from Angry Joe himself and Randy Pitchford. I know Joe has been very hyped for this game for a good year now, even releasing a "top 10 reasons Aliens Colonial Marines will kick ass" video. I'm expecting he'll either be very disappointed to the point of being heartbroken, or he'll defend the game like mad. And Randy Pitchford, he has almost always been a little arrogant but lately his ego has skyrocketed. I can easily imagine him defending this game and putting the blame on the disappointment of the game on gamers themselves (as he sorta did with Duke Nukem Forever, saying that everyone's expectations were too high).

Roger Rambo 2013-02-12 22:19

I hate to say this but...the second I saw that this game was going to include iron and reflex sights I kinda had a gut reaction that told me this game probably wouldn't be very good. And I could never quite explain why I felt this until recently.

In Aliens, the Xenomorphs were these lightening fast nightmares that struck out of the shadows before you were even aware of them. The scenes were always done so that in the big shootout scenes, you could never quite tell what the Marines were firing at. Which helped put you in the mindset of the Marines as they were actively trying to target and shoot the Xenomorphs. They weren't fighting individual Xenomorphs. They were fighting darkness.

This is a feeling that I think the first AVP game conveyed rather well. I never got too far into it, but I remember quite well the Marine segments when you're hounded by lighting fast black figures charging at you in the darkness. An accurate semi aimed burst at the blurred figure was your only chance of survival.

When I see these game play videos of the players just instantly having their vision zooming into this aim down sights view and targeting these wobbling and awkward looking xenomorphs so presciently...I dunno. It just kinda ruins the effect for me. If you aim at and track Xenomorphs that easily, where's the atmosphere of tension?

Also.

Hooves 2013-02-12 22:33

Get me Angry Joe, he would convey my frustration and disappointment for this perfectly. Well, I hope he goes down that path of mindset.

Mcfart 2013-02-12 22:52

Angry Joe's Aliens review: http://vine.co/v/bv2ZZbKpFnv

Ak3mi 2013-02-13 19:40

His review will be next for sure, I reckon this game could be a good contender for worst game of the year :p I wanted this game to be great so that I could pick it up and play...

kenjiharima 2013-02-13 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcfart (Post 4552261)
Angry Joe's Aliens review: http://vine.co/v/bv2ZZbKpFnv

lol

he has his 10 Ten reasons

but guessing now it's down the drain when the game came out.