AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Happy Chinese New Year!!!!!! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=5342)

Asakura_Y0h 2004-01-20 02:50

Happy Chinese New Year!!!!!!

To all who celebrate... wishing you a year ahead filled with health, wealth and happiness.. As for those who are studying hope you get the best results with the least amount of studying and the maximum amount of anime watching... is that even possible???

GONG XI FA CAI

So... well wishes aside... does anyone know anything about what to expect in the year of the Monkey of 2004??
I thought of starting up this thread for all the superstitious people and their beliefs of what monkey year would do to other animals... for example... does anyone know if it would be a good year for Roosters?? I'm one.....

AnimeFD 2004-01-20 03:33

Im not a superstitious person =\

But happy chinese/lunar new year every1!!! have fun!

Prince of Chronics 2004-01-20 03:37

I want a red pocket!

Asakura_Y0h 2004-01-20 04:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
I want a red pocket!

don't know about the practices and traditions of others but over here, we don't give those out unless we're married... am not... so sorry..... which comes to mind... what's everyone doing for reunion dinner? anybody going to receive the chinese santa clause for new year's eve??? ie... 'Choy San'

Hellychan 2004-01-20 07:46

The New Year will come on Thursday, but we have to prepare a big feast for all the day ^__^

/me waits for my red packets too! :D

Edit: "pockets" to "packets" ^^; (thx MwyC)

MwyC 2004-01-20 11:27

^^
isnt it red packet?
i dunno, thats what we've always called it
aand, unless you are married, you always get one from your relatives who are
scoooore for meeee!!!!

Prince of Chronics 2004-01-20 12:25

here in toronto....... I've only heard of em as "red pockets" ..... but oh well...... is yours an envelope full of cash?

btw... I'm not chinese ..... but my parents' chinese friends tend to hook it up sometimes..... :D

ugupoo 2004-01-20 17:55

Hehe Chinese New Year's in a couple days. I don't know if it'll be a good year for Roosters, but hopefully it is!

Uh oh! Too personal. ^^ Okay Happy New Year's to everybody! And may you stuff yourself with lots of delicious food and especially those red envelopes you so well deserve!

Keep up the hard work, study hard, impress your parents and love them very much! It'll give you more stuffed envelopes than you expected!

As for me, time for me to pass out the red envelopes! I'm still schooling, but I have to pass out envelopes. Yay for me. ^_^

Wandering_Youth 2004-01-20 17:55

I got around $50 so far from my relatives, but my dang little bro got $100. :sad: As for me, I'm a Rat/Mouse type and my latest 2004 Chinese Calander says it's going to be a good year for me.

diabolistic 2004-01-20 18:48

going to watch some steven chow movies with some friends (god of cooking, and shaolin soccer..and if time permits, journey to the west) and go to dinner with the fam to bum some red pockets ^^;

I AM ALSO MOUSE TYPE!
rejoice!
the meek will inherit the earth!

PiGGiEE 2004-01-20 18:57

DOH! Chinese New Year is this Thursday?!!! Hahahaha I'm chinese.. you'd think I know... sigh... I haven't gotten red envelopes in years... since I moved away from my family and friends in NYC. I don't have any asian friends here so chances of me getting any $$$ will be slim. Oh well... Happy Chinese New Years Everyone! :D I'll probably be doing the same thing... watching my animes... as the day flies by... I probably won't even remember that its Chinese New Year on Chinese New Year.... unless my Mom calls me and yells at me about forgetting it. :p

ramune 2004-01-20 19:29

Happy Chinese New Year!

Haha I didn't realize Chinese New Year is this Thursday either. To me it is just another day... except we get money from it. There's nothing special going on and we still have to go to school/work. It just doesn't feel like Chinese New Year is coming up. Oh well that's the way it is since I am not livng in China anymore. I miss those days...

Thelastguardian 2004-01-20 19:59

its not even New Years yet, this is the last day XD

Asakura_Y0h 2004-01-20 20:46

Today is the eve and I'm going to have to start hanging up all those decorations I made and bought..... Although I'm at work at least I get a half day today so it would be great.......

Wow... looks like there's a lot of people overseas celebrating tooo...... does anyone overseas other than the common countries that celebrate chinese new year get holidays too?? I remember I spent one chinese new year in melbourne, australia and I went to china town and saw almost every shop fire the long red crackers...

its banned here in Malaysia... although ppl still play with fireworks.. its pretty hard to obtain... but nowadays.. its no longer long red crackers or the "thunderclaps".... its now those big fireworks that you get on new year's eve that ppl fire from their houses nowadays..... pretty cool... so instead of only getting to watch fireworks on the english new year eve.... we get to see it every 5 minutes if we stare at the skyline long enough for the whole chinese new year period... ppl started firing here about a week ago... the annoying part is some arse near my house fires his every 5 a.m. in the morning!!!

anybody else plays with fireworks?

Gaara11 2004-01-20 20:58

Happy Chinese New Year to all Chinese, to all billions of you. :heh:

Lst2touchdasky 2004-01-21 00:15

Happy new years ^.^

Im a cat by the vietnamese clander and a rabbit by the chinese

i always called them red envelops

DwArD 2004-01-21 00:47

Happy Chinese New Year to u all too! Just came back from school after the chinese new year celebrations. So tell me...is there anyone here who gonna stay up the whole night till chinese new year??

ugupoo 2004-01-21 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwArD
Happy Chinese New Year to u all too! Just came back from school after the chinese new year celebrations. So tell me...is there anyone here who gonna stay up the whole night till chinese new year??

:( I'll have to go back home Wed to make it for the New Year's and prepare lots of red envelopes for dispensing. Not to mention check everything just to see if the decorations in the house are in place. THEN it's clean up time after the feast. Though the maid will help me ^^ So I'll definitely have to stay up for it. Probably watch CCTV while at it.

raikage 2004-01-21 01:56

Gong hay fat choy!
(Sorry, I can't romanize Toysanese very well)

Cleaning the house, making sure tangerines are everywhere while studying...yeah...

I'm getting off work @ 11:45 on Wed, so I'll probably be up at midnight.

kamij0 2004-01-21 04:10

i'm having my reunion dinner in a while ... YEAH !