AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mahou Shonen: How would it work? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112166)

NoemiChan 2012-05-09 23:08

I always thinks what might happen if a mahou shonen enters the famous mahou shoujo animes today (eg. Madoka and Nanoha). I bet the Yuri fans will riot but its a good try. It may pulled a lot more of new male and female fans of magic + romance anime. I can imagine a lot of pairing that would happen especially if the guy so cool and awesome.

Kyuu 2012-05-09 23:09

Look no further than Negima.

While this one started off as a gigantic massive harem... it actually grows into a shounen series. It's also the reason why I stopped reading it (by about book 17). Throw in every shounen cliche to a magic based series -- and viola. You have Negima.

So many characters are thrown into this series, but the main focal character has always been Negi Springfield, where he has this quest to train and get stronger with regards to his battle magic capabilities mixed with some martial arts.

NoemiChan 2012-05-09 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyuu (Post 4153381)
So many characters are thrown into this series, but the main focal character has always been Negi Springfield, where he has this quest to train and get stronger with regards to his battle magic capabilities mixed with some martial arts.

If he was just taller and cooler. It would have been a blast. I'm not a fan of cute guys anyway.:heh:

Kotohono 2012-05-09 23:23

It's called Star Driver :heh::uhoh:

Chaos2Frozen 2012-05-09 23:31

Wasn't there a thread from before that goes along the lines of 'What makes a mahou shoujo series' or something like that? (edit: What Defines the Magical Girl Genre?)

So just take what we've learned from there and apply it with a Male protagonist and that's probably how a Mahou Shounen series would work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4153380)
I always thinks what might happen if a mahou shonen enters the famous mahou shoujo animes today (eg. Madoka and Nanoha). I bet the Yuri fans will riot but its a good try. It may pulled a lot more of new male and female fans of magic + romance anime. I can imagine a lot of pairing that would happen especially if the guy so cool and awesome.

There's already mahou shounens in Nanoha, and yes they're already rioting... And Madoka has... Lol, Kamijou.

MeoTwister5 2012-05-09 23:33

What we need is mahou shoujo fighting alongside/back-to-back with mahou shounen in a showdown of epic beam spamming. Combat couple and all that.

FUND IT NAO!!

NoemiChan 2012-05-09 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 4153403)
What we need is mahou shoujo fighting alongside/back-to-back with mahou shounen in a showdown of epic beam spamming. Combat couple and all that.

FUND IT NAO!!

Hehehe... Uhmm.. We need a male mahou lead to represent the males in the magical world?:heh:

TurkeyPotPie 2012-05-09 23:59

What about Magical Taluluto-kun? I don't know if it has ever been fansubbed, but I saw some raws of this back in the VHS days, and it basically seemed like an old school mahou shojou (pre-Sailor Moon), but with a boy.

Edit: okay, another romanization of this is Magical Taruruto-kun. Not much on Youtube, most of the clips seem to be for body transformation fetishists. The only thing I could find that shows some of the intro and the show is this Youtube video. You can skip the bullshit "Psykotaku" stuff and see the Taruruto-kun video around the 2:10 mark.

Kyuu 2012-05-10 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenjiChan (Post 4153386)
If he was just taller and cooler. It would have been a blast. I'm not a fan of cute guys anyway.:heh:

I coulda sworn the pipsqueak eventually grows up a little.

Archer 2012-05-10 00:13

If you're simply looking for a type of genre with a list of tropes similar to those of the magical girl genre, then you're probably looking for Tokusatsu shows.

Flawfinder 2012-05-10 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyuu (Post 4153381)
Look no further than Negima.

While this one started off as a gigantic massive harem... it actually grows into a shounen series. It's also the reason why I stopped reading it (by about book 17). Throw in every shounen cliche to a magic based series -- and viola. You have Negima.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Negima. One of the best shonen action manga I've ever read to this day. :D

Patriot's Blade 2012-05-10 00:36

heck, i could've sworn Chouja Reideen is an example of a magical boys show :heh:
http://youtu.be/

& also Brave Command Dagwon which is popular with the fujoshis in the 1990's :uhoh::heh:
http://youtu.be/

& i also always thought that the Kamen Rider series is considered a live action adaptation version of a magical boys show :heh:

NoemiChan 2012-05-10 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. (Post 4153467)
& i also always tought that the Kamen Rider series is considered a live action adaptation version of a magical boys show :heh:

Damn, Kamen Rider was among my favorite action series both in the anime and live adaptation.

SeijiSensei 2012-05-10 00:54

I nominate the Apothecary in Bakeneko and Mononoke as a adult version of this character. He even has the mandatory transformation scene (begins at 16:35). You'd just need to imagine him as a boy and voiced by Paku Romi rather than Sakurai Takahiro. (Sorry I can't find a clip with Sakurai; only the English dub is at YouTube.)

Triple_R 2012-05-10 01:21

The aesthetics and style of Star Driver. The feel, tone, and powers of Fate/Stay Night.

I think that's pretty close to how Mahou Shonen would work.

MisaoFan 2012-05-10 02:40

Seikon no Qwaser is a good choice if you are looking for a gritty mahou shounen anime, even though the fanservice is a important part of the story.

hyl 2012-05-10 04:18

Seriously though like some other posters have said, the male equivelant of the mahou shoujo series seem to be tokusatsu series (sentai, kamen rider etc.).
Both the mahou shoujo and tokusatsu series follow the same formula of having regular people living their daily lives and who can transform to fight against monsters (of the week).
Eventhough the audience for tokusatsu and mahou shoujo series seems to have expanded (like the precure series are not just watched by little girls but also males and tokusatsu series also seems to attract teenage girls)

Haak 2012-05-10 04:35

It would basically be an urban fantasy shonen with magical transformations and a guide pet (That would appeal to boys) wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it be like Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle? (Haven't watched it btw)

Tiresias 2012-05-10 04:58

Negi Springfield, post Kyoto-arc?

And I guess you can always try imagining Harry Dresden as a shota.

gsilver 2012-05-10 07:43

I'd be all for Cure Fire getting his own spinoff series.