AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 3?! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=104983)

LoweGear 2011-06-19 00:57

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 3?!

Eurogamer- Dawn of War 3 First Details

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eurogamer
THQ has teased a new direction for upcoming real-time strategy game Dawn of War III.

Developer Relic is taking elements from the first game and the second game and adding something new, THQ core games boss Danny Bilson told Eurogamer.

"We're working on the next-generation of that franchise right now," Bilson said.

"I feel like an ass saying it's fantastic, but it is. And we're going to do something with it you haven't seen before.

"Preserving some things that have always been great about the first two generations of it, going back to 1 on some things, 2 on some things, and 3 will bring us some new things.

"When you see it you're going to go, whoa. I promise."

Last year Eurogamer broke the news that Relic was in the brainstorming stage of Dawn of War III.

Bilson suggested the Warhammer 40K RTS would launch between 18 months and two years after Dawn of War II - Retribution, pegging DOWIII for the August 2012 to February 2013 window.

He also said the game may "be a more digital free-to-play experience with all the depth and quality of a Relic RTS" - depending on the performance of Company of Heroes Online.

Given that game didn't work out, will Dawn of War III take a more traditional approach?

"Now Dawn of War III, either way, is going to have a much larger strategic component to it, more of a global battle going on with little tactical things, sort of MMO-like," Bilson continued.

Yesterday Bilson teased the reveal of an unannounced game at Gamescom in Germany in August. Could Dawn of War III be it?

"I can say that crowd, those hundreds of thousands of people, in that space at that time, this one's built to announce at that place. I'll say that. That's my clue."

Am waiting for more confirmation, though I'm very hyped so far :D

Roger Rambo 2011-06-19 06:28

I might be interested if they go back to larger scale tactical battles rather than that roleplay overpowered heroes stuff from Dawn of War 2.

Keroko 2011-06-19 06:33

Yeah, I have to admit it ironically enough doesn't really feel like warhammer if I can only fight with small groups. It might make sense for the space marines, but if I play guard, orks or 'nids I need my massive swarms or it just feels... off.

I still love the necron tactic of just sending wave after wave after wave of warriors at your enemy base and then popping up with a necron lord and resurrecting all the dead warriors, giving you an army that exceeds the cap ten times over. No base stood a chance against that.

Yui Is My Wife 2011-06-19 06:37

Give Us Tau!! With Giant Mecha!!
Give Us Kroot!! With All Mutations!!
Give Us Vespids!! With Marine-Shredding Rifles!!
For The Greater Good!! Mont-Ka!!
:):):)

Tetra Vaal 2011-06-19 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife (Post 3658471)
Give Us Tau!! With Giant Mecha!!
Give Us Kroot!! With All Mutations!!
Give Us Vespids!! With Marine-Shredding Rifles!!
For The Greater Good!! Mont-Ka!!
:):):)

You. Read. My. Mind.

Especially yes to giant mech and Vespids.

SaintessHeart 2011-06-19 15:04

If they take it in the direction of C&C4 I am going organise a boycott.

MakubeX2 2011-06-19 19:33

What I would like to see in Multiplayer :-

A persistent online free-for-all campaign taking place over multiple maps that represent different planets and worlds. Player will take control of the various chapters of the different factions and points will be awarded or deducted for each victory or defeat the faction was dealt.

Just imagine a digital version of the 2003 worldwide Eye of Terror campaign, if you will.

Hooves 2011-06-19 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintessHeart (Post 3658847)
If they take it in the direction of C&C4 I am going organise a boycott.

I'm going to fanatically join that boycott of yours!

Cosmic Eagle 2011-06-19 23:20

I want Thousand Sons or Lords of Change instead of the stereotypical Khorne Blood Thirsters running around...

Fenrir_valindri 2011-06-20 00:32

Well, in DoW 1 they did Bloodthirster, in 2 they did the Great Unclean One, so you might get your wish in 3. I hope they go all the way and have 4 separate paths for each of the Chaos Gods this time (a dream come true).

Also, they really need to have the Chaplain as a base leader, I was extremely disappointed as a SM player that he is absent entirely in DoW 2.

but my primary request is that they have all the races that are currently out in DoW 2. SM, IG, Orks, Eldar, Chaos and Tyranids, then expand on it from there.

Roger Rambo 2011-06-20 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 3658469)
Yeah, I have to admit it ironically enough doesn't really feel like warhammer if I can only fight with small groups. It might make sense for the space marines, but if I play guard, orks or 'nids I need my massive swarms or it just feels... off.

Actually my problem WAS with playing as the Space Marines. Namely because it didn't feel like you were commanding a small Space Marine Strike Force. It felt like you were commanding a bunch of RPG heroes, some of whom had an infinite supply of little satellite ducklings orbiting around them. Everything orbited around the heroes, and your regular squad members really lacked the numbers or the strength to really seem to matter all that much in combat. You could have given the individual heroes a little bit of a stat boost and removed their Red Shirt squadmates, and you'd literally not notice the difference.

DOW2 would have worked much better IMHO, if it had focused less on leveling/customizing heroes, so much as on the tactical squads. Gear would be assorted out throughout the entire team, and individual Marines should be stronger/have more identity. Other armies can go for huge anonymous hordes.

Keroko 2011-06-20 16:11

It'd be interesting if they went for MASSIVE BATTLES! in the new game. They've done medium-sized armies with cap limits, small hero squad armies, now it's time for the thousands upon thousands of units shooting, slicing and blasting eachother to shreds like we've all read about hundreds of times.

Hooves 2011-06-20 16:23

Oh the lag!!! :heh:

Keroko 2011-06-20 17:00

Pshaw, the Total War series has been doing it for years now, and with current tech I'm sure we can spike the numbers a bit more.

Think Supreme Commander, only this time set in a universe we actually care about.

Hooves 2011-06-20 17:45

But then we have all the special effects running around where the Total War series mostly consisted of sword&shields, while Empire/Napoleon only had musket fire as a difference. Now imagine a Total War game with gernade explosions, having Company of Heroes' vehicles rolling/walking around. Massive WAAAAGH! spamming :eyespin: I played a mod for Medieval: Total War where it involved Warhammer and it was laggy enough :heh:

ddwkc 2011-06-22 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 3660166)
Think Supreme Commander, only this time set in a universe we actually care about.

Oh, yeah, I would kill for a game like that! I want a conversion of WH40K Epic + Aeronautica Imperialis. I wanna play with Titans!

Tiresias 2011-10-16 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 3660135)
It'd be interesting if they went for MASSIVE BATTLES! in the new game. They've done medium-sized armies with cap limits, small hero squad armies, now it's time for the thousands upon thousands of units shooting, slicing and blasting each other to shreds like we've all read about hundreds of times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keroko (Post 3660166)
Pshaw, the Total War series has been doing it for years now, and with current tech I'm sure we can spike the numbers a bit more.

Oh, yes, please! It's about time the Imperial Guards and Orks actually use their numerical superiority to the hilt.

Micromanaging wargears for each unit would be a headache though :uhoh:. I wonder if they're gonna make us select the weapons during battle or make us configure our preferred unit and weapon compositions before the game starts so in battle we'll only worry about choosing them.

Not to mention it would be nice if each army of the same faction can actually be different (Harakoni vs Catachan, Ultramarines vs Black Templars, etc) instead of mere skin changes.

grylsyjaeger 2011-10-16 08:06

I'd just love a full blown video game representation of the table top game with kick ass graphics and animations.

FRS 2011-10-16 12:28

A remake of Final Liberation or a game made in the same vein would be great for this, i suppose it would be turned into a RTS in order to sell.

Decagon 2011-10-16 12:41

The first half of the release was just lip service. Sounds like they want to integrate it with some sort of persistent system ala Boneyards, but that won't gurantee actual gameplay changes... The global/strategic part might just be a bonus system for battles in the vein of the conquest systems from some of the single player campaigns in DOW1.