AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anime games for Ps1 and Ps2 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=32382)

Whitemoon648 2006-05-21 02:42

Anime games for Ps1 and Ps2

i am not sure if this is the place to ask, but since its suggestion Forums i posted it here. So i was looking for Anime games of any Genre for Playstation 1 and 2 to buy. I am kind of new to anime games so i dono any good one. The main kind of games i like are strategy, actions, role playing and games with a really good story.
Well please dont limit yourselves just to these, Any other game you think is good and you want to recommend please do so ^_^. Even if its a game that you dont like please tell me , mayby i end up liking.

To give you an idea of what kind of games i like the most a few examples would be:
-Parasite eve
-SyphonFilter
-Metal gear solid.
I cant really come up with any anime games, sice i dont know any. But if there are anime games that are alike these above i will be very happy. Thanks alot in advance for suggestions.

Asfad 2006-05-21 13:12

The Xenosaga series for the PS2 are a good start. There are a lot of long cutscenes, so its like watching an anime. Have yet to play it, but Xenogears for the PS1 is supposed to be good as well, and part of the storyline if you couldn't tell by the name ;)

The .hack series for the PS2 is also pretty decent. The gameplay gets pretty repetitive, but the story is alright.

suwayya 2006-05-21 13:25

Breath of Fire series, Final Fantasy series, .hack series and Suikoden series... Good RP-Games imho.

pinomustfly 2006-05-21 14:20

Great topic :D . These are my favorites; i collect games - it's my main hobby :) .

Playstation 2

-Tales of Legendia (Very good RPG, anime cut-scenes)
-Tales of Rebirth (Only released in Japan, japanese text)
-Tales of Destiny 2 (More Tales :D )
-Tales of Symphonia (English version Gamecube only, japanese version for PS2)
-The King of Fighters 2001/2000 pack (best 2D fighter ever, manga artwork)
-Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 (These games are must have for everyone into japanese stuff)
-Metal Slug 3,4,5 (Funniest sidescrollers ever, cartoony gore, 3 is the best one)
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
-Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
-Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (all SMT games are great; RPG)
-Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi (it's DBZ, but it is damn funnt anyways, fighting)
-Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
-Star Ocean: 'Till the end of Time (good storyline, extreme battle-system; RPG)

Thats only some for the PS2 though.

hooliganj 2006-05-21 15:12

If you can handle strategy games, I can recommend Rhapsody (PSX), La Pucelle, Disgaea, and Phantom Brave (all PS2). They feature entertaining characters, fun stories and a generally enjoyable style of play.

Varion 2006-05-21 16:45

Definitely Suikoden. I've heard quite a few people saying V especially is quite animeish, not that I really noticed... try and get I and II (both PS1 games) but if you can't (and they're not cheap) then no worries, just go get V. Came out quite recently but is a really good RPG. Played all 50 hours of it then went to bed and played it through again with a guide to get all 108 stars and stuff... and I want to play it again. Would do only exams are here :/

hooliganj's Nippon Ichi stuff is good too :) I'm not sure whether to reccommend Disgaea first because it's my favourite or tell you to get Disgaea last because it's my favourite... up to you.

.hack might be worth a look too, seen as they actually integrate anime directly. The first 4 games (Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine) you should be able to pick up cheap because the gameplay's not up to much and they're short, but the story's great. It'll also act as good backstory when .hack//GU comes out because that looks set to have an even better storyline and address all the gameplay problems of the first 4 games. Can't wait :D

Whitemoon648 2006-05-21 19:22

Thanks alot for great suggestions ^_^. I am gona try to buy at least half of the games since my birthday is coming. If you guys hadnt given me suggestions i would be so lost to find any good anime games :) .
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacco
Spoiler for list:

WoW , nice list . I have played Metal slug before. it sure is a fun game ^_^. Any more games you think that are worth playing?. Or are your favorite. Thanks alot for the list :).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooliganj
If you can handle strategy games, I can recommend Rhapsody (PSX), La Pucelle, Disgaea, and Phantom Brave (all PS2). They feature entertaining characters, fun stories and a generally enjoyable style of play.

I love strategy games ^_^. I also checked for images in gamespot and i love these kind of games. thanks for suggestions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suwayya
Breath of Fire series, Final Fantasy series, .hack series and Suikoden series... Good RP-Games imho.

When i used to play GBA like a few years ago, i remember finishing one of Breath of fire games. i dont know if it was 1 or 2. But it was fun. Last Boss was so much easier than other Bosses. I think you had to kill that pristess that saved the village in the beggining of the game too. You think it was the first one or second one?. Any ways i gave my GBA to my younger cousin since i wasnt playing it anymore. mayby i should ask him ^_^. For the .Hack and final fantasy , i have heard alot about them. I am going to try them for sure.

Calca 2006-05-21 19:47

Get Xenogears. If you don't you are an enemy to everyone.

Oh, and Xenogears is not part of the Xenosaga storyline. Xenosaga sucks as it is though compared to Xenogears.

Best RPG on the PS1 above any FF (though FFT is good too).

hooliganj 2006-05-21 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitemoon648
When i used to play GBA like a few years ago, i remember finishing one of Breath of fire games. i dont know if it was 1 or 2. But it was fun. Last Boss was so much easier than other Bosses. I think you had to kill that pristess that saved the village in the beggining of the game too. You think it was the first one or second one?. Any ways i gave my GBA to my younger cousin since i wasnt playing it anymore. mayby i should ask him ^_^. For the .Hack and final fantasy , i have heard alot about them. I am going to try them for sure.

That would be 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streetor
Oh, and Xenogears is not part of the Xenosaga storyline. Xenosaga sucks as it is though compared to Xenogears.

Xenogears is supposed to be the 5th of 6 chapters in the Xenosaga series, although the first chapter got turned into 3 games. Think of it this way - Xenogears is Empire Strikes Back, while the Xenosaga games that are out are Episode 1 divided into 3 different movies. The difference of quality is about the same, too, i.e. Xenogears was a much better game.

Calca 2006-05-31 02:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooliganj
Xenogears is supposed to be the 5th of 6 chapters in the Xenosaga series, although the first chapter got turned into 3 games. Think of it this way - Xenogears is Empire Strikes Back, while the Xenosaga games that are out are Episode 1 divided into 3 different movies. The difference of quality is about the same, too, i.e. Xenogears was a much better game.

That is wrong. Xenosaga was originally supposed to be 6 episodes but due to lack of interest and selling, it has been cut down to 3 episodes.

Also, the translation of Xenogear Perfect Works kind of lays out the episodes of Xenogears (Abel is episode 1, Kim is episode 2...).

Also, this is from wikipedia on the games

The Xenosaga series serves as a spiritual successor to the game Xenogears, which was released in 1998 for the PlayStation by Squaresoft (now Square Enix). Outside of allusions and homages, there is no relationship between the two storylines, although it is was once commonly thought that Xenogears would somehow fit into the Xenosaga storyline. The creator of both Xenogears and Xenosaga is Tetsuya Takahashi, who left Squaresoft in 1999 along with Hirohide Sugiura. Using funds from Namco, they restarted Monolith Soft and the Xenosaga project.

052569 2006-05-31 03:01

If you like mecha anime, then you absolutely can't pass up the Super Robot Wars series. Unfortunately, they are only available as imports, and you probably need to be reasonably proficient in Japanese to play the games.