AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Favorite Final Fantasy (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=61569)

mcruz1014 2008-01-28 16:15

Favorite Final Fantasy

Hey guys! In anticipation of Final Fantasy XIII (yes, it's a long way off), I recently re-played some of my old FF games over the course of 3 months. While I never got to play the old nintendo FF's, I think I can safely say that Final Fantasy X and VIII are my two favorites out of the whole bunch. As far as story and plot goes, I think that VIII was my favorite, since the high-school type (if you can call the gardens high schools, lol) setting is easy for me to relate to. However, the story cannot convey the same depth of emotion because of a lack of the spoken word. Therein lies the reason for the choice of my other favorite Final Fantasy game, FFX. The game had a great story, with great characters who all had incredible depth for a video game, and top notch voice acting (anime dubs wish they had voice acting this superb).

I wanted to start this thread to give others a chance to talk about their favorite FF's, why they are their favorites, recall some good memories, etc.

Share you stories with us! :D

Sakuranbo 2008-01-28 16:28

So far VI would be my favorite simply because of the feel. The setting, story, cast, music, and over all ambience create a must-have for any avid FF collector. FFVII maybe considered "quite possibly the greatest game," but in my ooinion VI tops that.

Spitfire 2008-01-28 16:37

Final Fantasy VI is my fav. Just everything about it felt like true Final Fantasy to me. To me, that feeling has been lost in recent FF games.

RWBladewing 2008-01-28 17:23

I'm going with VI as well, it was the first game I played that really felt "epic" and engrossed me in its story. Its gameplay is a big contrast from more modern iterations because the characters all have special abilities that make them very unique (Sabin's blitz button inputs, Cyan's charging sword attacks); compare this with XII, where the characters are pretty much identical because of the license system. Most of the characters had very detailed backstories also, as opposed to XII, in which only one, maybe two, playable characters seemed to really even matter to the storyline. To be fair, I haven't beaten XII so I could be wrong, but I am very close to the end and nothing has convinced me otherwise as of yet. And finally, in regards to VI, you have to love a game in which

Spoiler for FFVI storyline:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcruz1014 (Post 1367363)
top notch voice acting (anime dubs wish they had voice acting this superb).

While I agree with this (aside from the laughing scene and Yuna's voice in general), it seems it's a pretty rare opinion. Everywhere I look people seem to hate the acting in this game. A lot of it is probably anti-dub sentiment in general though.

EphemeralDreams 2008-01-28 17:51

I personally enjoyed VI the most. With all the newer fancier Final Fantasies lately. I doubt most will go back and fully enjoy VI as to say when it was released for the first time.

Lesca 2008-01-28 17:53

My favourite FF game would probably have to be FFX, it was the first FF game I ever played and because of it I looked for all the earlier FF games and thus they became my favourite series of games.
I think the earlier ones are more the classics, whilst some of the newer ones haven't been quite as good.

Terrestrial Dream 2008-01-28 18:34

VI and IX, both had great story and character that I loved.

~ Lawliet ~ 2008-01-28 18:52

FFVII without a doubt.

Zoe 2008-01-28 21:09

XII.

The story wasn't the best, but I loved the gameplay, and the overall presentation was the best.

kujoe 2008-01-28 21:21

IV, VI, VII, IX and XII.

Not necessarily in that order, but FFIV gets special mention due to its nostalgia factor and for being the turning point of the series, at least, in my eyes. So many conventions of the typical FF story started in that one.

And of course, who could forget FFVI? Even to this day, Celes' opera scene is one of my favorite FF moments ever—even more so than the one wherein Aerith is laid to rest in FFVII. It's cheesy of me, I know.

King Lycan 2008-01-28 22:06

Final Fantasy War Of Lions
Finak Fantasy V&VI&VIII

EphemeralDreams 2008-01-28 22:07

That song is stuck in my head forever, Kujoe.

Xellos-_^ 2008-01-28 23:18

FFVI

Terra, Celes and Relm is yummy

Demongod86 2008-01-28 23:34

FFX+FFX-2 (yes, you read that right), and FFVII.

FFX and X-2 have to be counted together. Like it or not, X-2 is a continuation of X's story and it was a rather happy game.

FFVII speaks for itself.

Can't wait for the XIIIs though...FFX+FFVII teams combined and holy shit look at those graphics.

AnimeFangirl 2008-01-29 03:27

VIII is my absolute favourite, so much so that I started yet another game yesterday. I'm just about to attack the sorceress.

TinyRedLeaf 2008-01-29 05:41

FF-Tactics. It's the darkest and most "mature" of all the Final Fantasies, and it has great replay value. I have the War of the Lions PSP version, but I haven't quite started it. It would have been nice if there were some way to port my PS1 characters to the PSP version.

Considering that my accounts are still "alive", I guess I should mention FFXI as well. I suppose most fans would rather that this particular iteration did not exist, but at least 200,000 people still play and enjoy it to some extent. Including me.

boggart 2008-01-29 05:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream (Post 1367569)
VI and IX, both had great story and character that I loved.

Ditto this. VI was just plain awesome because it truely was a fantasy game without any other inhibitions (other than the NES platform? :heh: ). IX was great too, because it went back to the FF roots and did fantasy a proud service.

Razziell22 2008-01-29 06:56

Final Fantasy VIII, FFVII, FFX and FFVI

WanderingKnight 2008-01-29 07:16

I wouldn't know which to pick since I enjoyed them all, but I guess my favorite would be IX. It was the first one I ever beat back when I was 11 or so, so I guess it's easy for me to feel the nostalgia over such a recent title.

Benoit 2008-01-29 07:17

My favorite Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy V. I love the simple yet determined (and at least for me, captivating) story, and the class system rocks.

My second favourite is FFVI, for its story, cast of characters and Magicite system. Don't like the second half, though.
Quote:

However, the story cannot convey the same depth of emotion because of a lack of the spoken word.
In my opinion, you lack imagination. :/
Quote:

their favorite FF's
Do not abuse the apostrophe!