AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Animes That Deserve Reboots (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=125878)

Hazou 2014-04-30 13:59

Animes That Deserve Reboots

As I am watching fight scenes of HxH 2011, I was thinking what other animes would you like to see in better quality, better animation, and would just like to rewatch again even if it was a reboot with a new animator.

My list would be something like:

-Yu Yu Hakusho [god yes, this is my childhood. I have at least watched the 90s version I can't count, but I'd love to see this in the new anime style. I'd rewatch it]

-Ghost in the Shell [Do I really need to say any more? It's Ghost in the Shell. And I'd love to see it animated like Psycho Pass, I think that style would just fit GITS]

-Cowboy Bebop [Come we needed classics on this list. And why not this one?]

-Cardcaptor Sakura [didn't expect that one from me. But I like CS, and I liked it better than Sailor Moon. But apparently Sailor Moon is getting a new animation and style, so why not CS]

-Chobits [Because. Simply because.]

-Sci-Fi Harry [I really liked this anime, and I'd just like to see someone pay attention to this great anime]

-Technolyze [Because this was also great. And it actually had a great animation right now, it is very clear and beautiful. But I'd just like to see it again polished and shiny]

-Serial Experiments Lain [Yep because I said so]

Darthtabby 2014-04-30 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazou (Post 5104432)

I'd argue against remaking Cowboy Bebop in part because it is such a classic. It might be one thing if it was some classic series from the 80s that looked like crap by modern standards, but Cowboy Bebop actually looks pretty good.

I wouldn't mind seeing a better adaptation of Allison and Lillia. I gather the source material did a better job of explaining things and didn't try so hard to be family friendly (the lengths the show goes to in order to avoid giving the protagonists direct responsibility for villain deaths is ridiculous at times). I wanted to like the anime and in some ways I kind of do, but its really not that good. Plus it could have benefitted from higher production values.

Tempester 2014-04-30 14:51

I think an anime deserves a reboot if it has one or more of these attributes:

1. It strayed too far from the source material.
2. It had a horribly inconclusive ending or didn't build up to it correctly.
3. The animation or other aspects are egregiously dated.
4. It just plain sucked.

Quote:

Yu Yu Hakusho [god yes, this is my childhood. I have at least watched the 90s version I can't count, but I'd love to see this in the new anime style. I'd rewatch it]
It adapted Togashi's entire manga with (apparently) very little bad filler. It even improved on the last arc, which was much more rushed in the manga from what I've heard. The animation is serviceable. Even now it's a solid action series. Don't see any reason to remake this.

Quote:

-Ghost in the Shell [Do I really need to say any more? It's Ghost in the Shell. And I'd love to see it animated like Psycho Pass, I think that style would just fit GITS]
Does GitS: Arise count?

Quote:

Hell no. This anime is timeless. It looks amazing, it has an awesome soundtrack, and some episodes were just so perfect that nobody can remake them. How could anyone improve on this anime without making something completely different?

Go ahead and make another western in space. I might enjoy it. But Cowboy Bebop has come and gone, and it needs to stay gone.

Quote:

-Cardcaptor Sakura [didn't expect that one from me. But I like CS, and I liked it better than Sailor Moon. But apparently Sailor Moon is getting a new animation and style, so why not CS]
I could get behind this. Unlike Sailer Moon, CCS's story never steered off the manga's plot. The animation for CCS is also incredibly good for a show of its length. However, I wouldn't mind a remake that cuts out all the filler (including Meiling, sorry) and adds the few extra details that the manga had. Also, that manga epilogue seriously needs to be animated; it's the perfect conclusion for CCS.

CCS still gets a huge amount of fanart and doujinshi today despite its age. It's a funny example of an show that got more in line with anime otaku taste as it aged. I can see how a remake could be feasible.

Quote:

-Technolyze [Because this was also great. And it actually had a great animation right now, it is very clear and beautiful. But I'd just like to see it again polished and shiny]
Hell no. This anime did everything it set out to do and did it marvelously. While I regret the fact that it isn't available in HD, I don't want a remake because it would almost certainly be inferior to the original.

Quote:

-Serial Experiments Lain [Yep because I said so]
Hell n- you get the idea. I actually didn't like SEL (it's not my type of show I guess), but it's a unique anime that a lot of people adore and it holds up well today visually and aurally.

Go make that Despera anime instead.

Triple_R 2014-04-30 14:54

A Card Captor Sakura reboot could be interesting. CCS with a Love Live! art-style could be very, very visually appealing and fun to watch.

I'm not sure if a Lain reboot would work. Part of the reason Lain worked when it first aired was because widespread home PC use and the internet were both fairly new back then, making Lain's series concept and ideas seem very topical and edgy for the time. Taken out of that context, I'm not sure if the narrative works that well.

Hazou 2014-04-30 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple_R (Post 5104466)
I'm not sure if a Lain reboot would work. Part of the reason Lain worked when it first aired was because widespread home PC use and the internet were both fairly new back then, making Lain's series concept and ideas seem very topical and edgy for the time. Taken out of that context, I'm not sure if the narrative works that well.

How about....the fact that we are developing technology to fast. Says some articles on Wired. I think its still very topical, especially as companies try to take over Net nuetrality, etc.

Also, I didn't think HxH needed a reboot. I quite liked the fillers people complain about and thought they fit in seemless. So if HxH got a reboot, so should Yu Yu Hakusho. Simply because I'd like to see what it look like with todays animation standards. Its a great show and it did follow the manga closely, but I mean...I want it to look pretty.

Technolyze is still visually impressive. Its on my hard drive. I just really like the anime. A lot.

For me animes deserve reboots because they are so damn good, you wouldn't mind rewatching them again.

FMA got a reboot. Brotherhood follows the manga more closely, I just never got into the manga or FMA anime or even Brotherhood. I just don't like FMA.

Vocah 2014-04-30 15:14

One Piece - honestly, Toei doesn't do it justice :x

RichardFromMarple 2014-04-30 15:39

Nadia: The Secret Of Blue Water stands up quite well for it's age, though the Island & Africa filler arc isn't liked by most fans.

I know it was re-edited into the Japan only Nautilus Story series of home videos / LD's to tighten up the pliot & remove most of the above arc.

A reboot which avoids the filler, & usses the freed up time to flesh out some things that didn't get answered in the otherwise great ended would be nice.

Even the much dispised spin-off movie could have been better, there's plenty of good ideas in there but they don't hang together well.

It's liked the writers had a brainstorming session & tried to include as many ideas as possible at the expense of a decent plot.

I'm sure there is a way to at least make it into a decent adventure, even it's not up to the series better episodes, sort of like the spin-off films based on British sitcoms from the 1970s.

Tempester 2014-04-30 16:00

Rather than remaking something that's already awesome, I think it's better to go back to some of the severely flawed anime, particularly adaptations, that could have had a lot of potential in better hands.

Here are some anime that I think would make great remakes/reboots.

Rurouni Kenshin
Tokyo arc has too much filler, and most of it is really bad filler. The anime also ends in over 30 filler episodes that were apparently meant to pad out the anime until the final manga arc was finished, but it ended up ruining and killing the anime.

Shugo Chara
Once upon a time, a production committee decided to make an anime from an ongoing monthly magical girl manga with just a few volumes out (so you know, the total number of volumes when it finished (after the anime finished of course, typical) is 12). Since they were marketing the show to children instead of adults, they made the horrible horrible decision to animate the show in multiple seasons of 50 episodes each. This resulted in tons of obnoxious filler that dragged the ongoing story to a complete halt. To add insult to injury, there was a 3rd season made which has absolutely nothing to do with the manga story and is marketed at a much younger age group than the rest of the manga/anime.

There is no reason to watch the anime unless you really really like Itou Kanae's voice. The OP/ED songs are really good, so just read the manga while listening to them. The manga's pretty damn good with a well-paced plot, cute art and many "hell yeah" moments. It would be nice if we got 39-episode anime that adapted the manga accurately and without filler.

Pupa
This is like the opposite problem from what Shugo Chara had. A production committee was put in charge of adapting a complete 5-volume manga and they ended up producing a 12-episode anime from it. Wait, that doesn't sound so bad, right? Yeah, but each episode was 4 minutes long. Yeah, nobody is going to get immersed in a plot-oriented horror anime with such bite-sized episodes. And from what I've heard from manga veterans it cuts out a lot of important stuff. Needs a proper adaptation.

Corpse Party
This game/VN got an OVA called Tortured Souls. It was a decently entertaining watch for someone who had played the game like me, but I would not recommend it to newcomers. It misses out on the atmosphere and plot details of the game, derails a few characters, and focuses too much on shock and gore. I also didn't like the animated character art style. I want to see a 13-episode TV anime that adapts the game at a proper pace. It would almost definitely be censored for broadcast in parts, but that's fine since seeing all the gory details isn't important for Corpse Party as long as there is a terrific atmosphere and well-paced story.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni
VN readers crap on this anime all the time. While I don't have any experience with the VNs, it was quite noticeably an anime with countless glaring flaws. Many scenes that should have been horrifying or depressing or awesome lacked the impact they should have since the direction was wonky and the characters were not given proper development. Not to mention the absolutely godly music from the VNs was mostly either absent or poorly incorporated.

I think an anime reboot of Umineko with a decent studio and a competent director would be an amazing experience.

Hazou 2014-04-30 16:13

I liked Ruroni Kenshin. Why am I the strange person who never minded fillers?

Tempester 2014-04-30 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazou (Post 5104516)
I liked Ruroni Kenshin. Why am I the strange person who never minded fillers?

Some people just have more tolerance, I guess. I liked Rurouni Kenshin too, but the anime is just simply incomplete. It's 2/3's of a whole and the way the story drops off makes it obvious that it was supposed to be continued.

Hazou 2014-04-30 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempester (Post 5104521)
Some people just have more tolerance, I guess. I liked Rurouni Kenshin too, but the anime is just simply incomplete. It's 2/3's of a whole and the way the story drops off makes it obvious that it was supposed to be continued.

I guess I have tolerance for the animes I like. Naruto is filler heaven and I hate it, same with Bleach, and I am not caught up on Fairy Tail or One Piece because of it either.

Tenshi Muyo???? *shifty eyes*

So far no one likes my choices for reboots. But I'd like La Familia to have a reboot, because I thought the anime was god awful and horribly horribly rushed.

Sheba 2014-04-30 16:25

Jinchu arc absolutely needed to be adapted. A new Kenshin animated series needs this to bring closure to Kenshin's development as he comes to terms with his past.

SeijiSensei 2014-04-30 18:58

I'd much prefer to see the resources and talents of the studios aimed at making new original shows that are neither remakes nor adaptations of existing material. For me, original works have always been especially compelling. They don't have to bob-and-weave around the problem of translating the printed page to animation, and they don't typically suffer the god-awful problems of concluding anime series that are adapted from ongoing works.

In that vein, if I were to pick a show worth reconsideration, I'd like to see a version of Claymore that actually came to a conclusion instead of the muddled mess that ends that show now.

I realize that my desire for original works will only be rarely satisfied given the nature of the industry. Anime have always been seen as largely derivative works designed to sell the adapted material and merchandise. But overall I'd prefer to see less attention paid to remaking the past and more emphasis placed on creating stories no one has ever seen before. For one thing, it would make life as an anime-only viewer on this forum a lot easier.

Fireminer 2014-04-30 19:36

Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack.

In short, almost all of the UC era Gundam series.

TnAdct1 2014-04-30 21:47

Two titles from the past decade that I feel need a reboot:

-Fruits Basket. With the manga now finished, it would nice to have an anime adaption that tells the complete story of the show (whereas the original leaves it open for a sequel while at the same time revealing a major plot point involving male lead Kyo).

-Negima. Face it: the anime adaptations of Negima haven't really given the title any justice (while SHAFT was close to it, it was in OAV form and only covered the early portion of the Magic World Arc). Besides giving the title a proper telling that it deserves, a Negima reboot could also correct the huge blunders that Ken Akamatsu made during the final volumes of the manga.

Hiss13 2014-04-30 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TnAdct1 (Post 5104794)
-Negima. Face it: the anime adaptations of Negima haven't really given the title any justice (while SHAFT was close to it, it was in OAV form and only covered the early portion of the Magic World Arc). Besides giving the title a proper telling that it deserves, a Negima reboot could also correct the huge blunders that Ken Akamatsu made during the final volumes of the manga.

To be fair, Akamatsu's blunders were more because of a conflict with his publishers or something along those lines. It doesn't excuse the fact that the ending was truncated but there is a reason for it at least. Other than that, I would second this. Negima definitely deserves a faithful and re-booted adaptation since I would love to see the Magicus Mundus Arc animated in all of its glory.

Hazou 2014-04-30 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by TnAdct1 (Post 5104794)
Two titles from the past decade that I feel need a reboot:

-Fruits Basket. With the manga now finished, it would nice to have an anime adaption that tells the complete story of the show (whereas the original leaves it open for a sequel while at the same time revealing a major plot point involving male lead Kyo).

Personally, I am of the few that hate the manga and love the anime adaptation that they did have. I gave reasons as to why in this here sites Fruits Basket thread.

I was at the time reading the manga and watching the anime as they came out together. But then as the anime ended and I continued reading on, I hate one of the biggest spoiler things in the manga and rage quit on it. Because to me it soiled all the great character development and interesting perspective of the characters. Turning a specific character into another cliche and trope. And I had really hoped for the unique aspect it had originally presentated itself.

So I rather not have a reboot, because the manga just sucks.

NightbatŪ 2014-04-30 23:15

Why doesn't anyone ever ask for remakes of the Mona Lisa?

Ithekro 2014-05-01 01:07

They make remakes of Hamlet and other classics all the time. People do that with stories. A painting is a painting, yet some artists do try to recreate classics.

Last Sinner 2014-05-01 03:25

Quote:

Cowboy Bebop
Best way to start a permanent feud between those that loved the 90s + pre 2006 and those from 2006 onwards. Furthermore, what aspect of it needs an upgrade? And how would you financially justify it?

Quote:

Cardcaptor Sakura
Its artwork was utterly stunning. It still looks far better than almost anything made today. It had a great cast. Sailor Moon's visuals could be improved and the 20th anniversary re-release proved there was enough of a market to justify redoing it. Also, considering anime moved on from CCS to MGLN then Madoka, I think things have changed far too much.

Quote:

Serial Experiments Lain
The timing of its message was critical. Anime was fairly Westernised-not very Japanese in the 90s relative to current times. Ueda's message was also understood by the West with relative ease - a fact he was surprised and ticked off by. Lain served its purpose and is still worth remembering. So the visuals weren't stellar...meh. Finding a market for this in the current climate - nope.

Ones I'd like to see:

Fate/Stay Night - And thank flock it's happening in October.

Tsukihime - If they're fixing FSN and redoing the Tsukihime game, redoing the anime makes sense. Type-Moon won't be running out of steam anytime soon.

I'm generally not in favour of reboots. Most titles are relative to their time and place. Truth and values change relative to time and what happens therein. If a title that deserved a good adaptation didn't get one, then perhaps. But the glaring issue that will forever be the sticking point - justifying the remake. Getting a series to sell well and/or its merch is enough of a battle in itself.