AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Hayate no Gotoku (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Hayate no Gotoku OVA (2nd Season Episode 00) Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=78809)

xris 2009-03-05 03:04

Hayate no Gotoku OVA (2nd Season Episode 00) Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for the Hayate no Gotoku OVA. Please note that at this point in time we do not consider the OVA to be licensed.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

frustra 2009-03-05 15:12

Spoiler for some initial screencaps:

got these from a japanese blog, by the way...

Mentar 2009-03-05 19:20

(moving from another thread)

Well, having seen it now, I can report that the animation quality was fine. It was a _very_ slight deviation from the Synergy standard in a few aspects, but overall, it rung very very true.

Content-wise, not much to say. As episode 0 indicates, this should be considered a prequel to re-introduce the viewer with the main characters once more, with most of them in a bigger state of undress than we should expect ANY of them throughout the TV airings

Somehow it reminded me of alot of things I liked about the S1 anime, and it gave me a couple of nice chuckles. At the same time, it also reminded me of something I detested from S1, and that's the vexing way to ignore the "serious" elements of the manga in exchange for slightly dumbed-down cutesy replacement elements.

Example: In the manga, the core storyline about the Hinagiku/Ayumu relationship spans over ~30 chapters of continuous development. In anime episode 52, we got a cruel teaser when for only a few seconds a key scene (Hinagiku confessing on the ferris wheel) is indicated as a flashback (as a reminder: Episode 52 was a timejump-episode from the future), so it would be natural to conclude that EVENTUALLY this excellent storyline would be kicked off. However, if they plan to do so, then alot of developments which have already happened "don't fit" anymore. Like for example Hina realizing that she likes Hayate. Like for example Hina and Ayumu getting to know each other. All this stuff "doesn't fit" already, and I'm worried if they will just "drop" it like they did in S1, in exchange for more unsubstantial fluff.

So, it renewed my enjoyment of the show, and at the same time, my trepidation about the show's inexplicable reluctance to touch down on the GOOD parts of the original source.

7.5/10 from me. And since now I can actually vote on it, I'll give it the nod up.

neothe0ne 2009-03-05 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentar (Post 2254318)
I'm worried if they will just "drop" it like they did in S1, in exchange for more unsubstantial fluff.

We're talking about J.C.STAFF here. I'd say the outlook couldn't be worse. (After all SynergySP seems to be doing a fine job with Zettai Karen Children, whereas continuing to watch Slayers EVOLUTION-R makes me wonder what's going on in J.C.STAFF these days....)

I hope to be pleasantly surprised though... as I haven't touched the manga I'll _probably_ still enjoy the 2nd season unless they do something stupid like forego KOTOKO and the rest of I'VE in order for ELISA of ef fame to do the opening son--oh wait.

Mentar 2009-03-05 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by neothe0ne (Post 2254339)
We're talking about J.C.STAFF here. I'd say the outlook couldn't be worse. (After all SynergySP seems to be doing a fine job with Zettai Karen Children, whereas continuing to watch Slayers EVOLUTION-R makes me wonder what's going on in J.C.STAFF these days....)

I hope to be pleasantly surprised though... as I haven't touched the manga I'll _probably_ still enjoy the 2nd season unless they do something stupid like forego KOTOKO and the rest of I'VE in order for ELISA of ef fame to do the opening son--oh wait.

Well the thing is rather that _S1_ by SynergySP was mutilated. If you want to understand what was removed, get the "Everything Hina" torrent I put up on Tokyotosho - 80% of the Hinagiku/Ayumu backstory was simply ignored, even though it's certainly the most meaningful long-running arc in the show.

J.C. Staff kept exceptionally close to the original in Index. Let's hope that they do the same here...

rg4619 2009-03-05 20:49

They also created as faithful an adaptation (within a harsh 25 episode constraint) of Toradora! as possible.

I suspect that the outcome of a series has more to do with the major sponsors, as well as the creative staff involved. J.C. Staff has no stake in many of their projects (including Hayate, it seems), so the series planning is often credited to other companies. If Shogakukan/GENCO/etc. mandates a certain style of show, it's everyone's job to stick to those specifications, whether or not it results in the 'ideal' adaptation.

[with GENCO, we often see shifts in teams or studios between seasons of a series, yet the basic adaptation formula remains static]

relentlessflame 2009-03-05 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by rg4619 (Post 2254447)
They also created as faithful an adaptation (within a harsh 25 episode constraint) of Toradora! as possible.

I suspect that the outcome of a series has more to do with the major sponsors, as well as the creative staff involved. J.C. Staff has no stake in many of their projects (including Hayate, it seems), so the series planning is often credited to other companies. If Shogakukan/GENCO/etc. mandates a certain style of show, it's everyone's job to stick to those specifications, whether or not it results in the 'ideal' adaptation.

[with GENCO, we often see shifts in teams or studios between seasons of a series, yet the basic adaptation formula remains static]

A bit off-topic, but I think you're definitely right. People just like to oversimplify the production situation. The director, series planner, character designer, and other key positions that ultimately determine the qualities of a show are often chosen directly by the production committee, and that may or may not be at all related to who they choose as an animation production firm. And all of those choices may or may not have much impact on the sort of show that gets produced -- it all depends on what restrictions/"guidance", say, the publishers of the original material decide to impose, for example. So anyway, yeah -- the Animation Production company is just one small piece of the puzzle, and there's not necessarily any correlation when it comes to the way a story is handled.

aroduc 2009-03-06 02:20

It also bears mentioning that ZKC (and the original run of Hayate) aired Sunday mornings, IE a very very very VERY desirable timeslot. Just about everything that airs then tends to be very well produced since that's the time to seize children by the throat and sell toys . In comparison, most other anime airs some time after midnight, will have horrible ratings, and be expected to make up the money on DVD sales.

If you need an object lesson, Kekkaishi's a great one. Went from excellent production when it was stuffed behind Detective Conan in primetime, to abysmal when it was moved to late night.

And pfft. Fanservice. What did you expect given the OVA's title?

And more caps if you're impatient.

arkxkra 2009-03-07 23:05

erm, it is not bad for a episode, and fan service not said too over too, as alway random, random...
Can't get enough of Isumi and Hina :(, hope to see more Isumi and Hina in season 2.
looking forward to season 2.

delacroix01 2009-03-09 06:15

Quote:

J.C. Staff kept exceptionally close to the original in Index. Let's hope that they do the same here...
Index was indeed an exception as you said, but how about Toradora? And since I've read the raw manga up to the newest chapter, I can tell that Hayate OVA is just a filler made by JC Staff. There was too many unnecessary fanservices, Hayate looked really pathetic, and the animation just made me sick. -_-

Cinocard 2009-03-10 16:29

Well, even though Index follows the original, it sucks. And Toradora isn't, but it turns out quite well. Though HnG is not a type of show I would mind originality. Just that J.C Staff has proved themself to be horrible in editing works.

Well, it's an OVA before the main show, so what do you expect if not fanservice? Though I'm not saying that it's good. And if they don't change this later on the show, they are gonna be in trouble.

Animation wise, I think it was pretty good.

Midonin 2009-03-10 20:59

Always nice to return to old friends.

The OVA had about fifteen times more fanservice than I'm used to from the TV series, but everything in the character interactions and such was just as I remembered. Might take an episode or two to adjust to the new art style, but that's but a minor detail. Wakamoto was great, and I enjoyed Klaus mentioning waiting off screen for his appearance.

I sort of miss the sign guy and the sound bleeps, but again, minor detail. The OVA was fun.

OceanBlue 2009-03-11 01:33

I enjoyed how everyone had their little moments in this [Apparently Izumi, apparently. She's popular?] It was a nice intro episode and an amusing refresher.

I have the feeling the mansion changes size to fit the plot.

neothe0ne 2009-03-11 01:51

I really can't stand J.C.STAFF being in this show.

Spoiler for Overdramatized and exaggerated art rant, after this no one else need complain because I'm covering for all of you naysayers:

Art issues aside, I truly believe Higurashi Rei 01 (another pool OVA) was more interesting and definitely more amusing than Hayate!! 00. Hayate OVA had its moments but they were few (really dumb fanservice didn't ring with me) and often marred by art (hi Isumi).

I'm hoping J.C.STAFF has better art in April.... and also hoping they don't undo the things that make SynergySP (relatively) unique, such as the eyecatches (and the typesetted lyrics because they're useful).

Mentar 2009-03-11 02:42

Oh PLEASE.

Maybe your memory is failing, but the art differences between SynergySP and J.C.Staff are minimal. Pick any Hayate episode >26 and compare. I did, and I was surprised how strange some frames looked back then, and I didn't even remember it.

Sorry, but then whining about the art feels really misplaced IMHO.

SaintessHeart 2009-03-11 07:30

Yay HnG is BAAAAACCCCCKKKKK!!!

HINAGIKU!!!!!!!!!!

The colours used in this season is richer than the previous, for example, Hinagiku's hair colour is in a darker shade of pink, and so is Wataru's maid's hair.

P.S Plenty of new and up to date parodies!! Like....
Spoiler for spoiler:

DragoonKain3 2009-03-11 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentar
If you want to understand what was removed, get the "Everything Hina" torrent I put up on Tokyotosho - 80% of the Hinagiku/Ayumu backstory was simply ignored, even though it's certainly the most meaningful long-running arc in the show.

Oh, so you're the one responsible for 'spoiling' the manga for me! ;)

BTW, I'm just kidding. I actually appreciated this, since I really only wanted to read the chapters Hinagiku was in. And by reading those parts, I actually got whats up with some of the new characters in the OVA and some new items, like the Masamune.

Such a shame though that A-tan hasn't been mentioned or cameod in anyway shape or form, when she at least got a mention in one of the episodes last season *sigh* I guess you can't get everything you want. :heh:

Sorrow-K 2009-03-11 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by neothe0ne (Post 2265337)
I really can't stand J.C.STAFF being in this show.

Spoiler for Overdramatized and exaggerated art rant, after this no one else need complain because I'm covering for all of you naysayers:

Art issues aside, I truly believe Higurashi Rei 01 (another pool OVA) was more interesting and definitely more amusing than Hayate!! 00. Hayate OVA had its moments but they were few (really dumb fanservice didn't ring with me) and often marred by art (hi Isumi).

I'm hoping J.C.STAFF has better art in April.... and also hoping they don't undo the things that make SynergySP (relatively) unique, such as the eyecatches (and the typesetted lyrics because they're useful).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mentar (Post 2265420)
Oh PLEASE.

Maybe your memory is failing, but the art differences between SynergySP and J.C.Staff are minimal. Pick any Hayate episode >26 and compare. I did, and I was surprised how strange some frames looked back then, and I didn't even remember it.

Sorry, but then whining about the art feels really misplaced IMHO.

Really. I thought the difference in art style was pretty noticeable, especially with regards to character design. Nagi's eyes look sharper and almost seem to be bigger as well, and (with a few exceptions here and there) the whole cast seems simplified compared with the first season. Actually, I think it's a good idea to do a direct comparison.

I picked a comparable frames almost (but not quite) at random, the first coming from the OVA, the second from ep 38 of the first season.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/355...1223034.th.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/729...1223311.th.jpg

At first the most noticeable thing is a light halo within the boundary of Hayate's hair, but I think we can ignore that because that's lighting. The eyes are the big difference. Hayate's eyes seem bigger in the first season character design, but also thinner along the horizontal direction. The J.C. version seems to have more round eyes, which are slightly smaller, but also give off a somewhat more "dull" feeling. There's also less contrast in the colour scheme, which also seems duller in the J.C. version. In general, the angles seem to be much less acute in the J.C. version as well. Hayate's face seems to be skinnier and longer in the Synergy version, and the angle his chin makes seems to be sharper. In fact, I think in general everything seems to be sharper in the Synergy version. You can see it quite clearly in Hayate's clothes especially. The lines are straighter, everything seems tighter and sharper, his collar is crisper. On the other hand, it kinda looks like he hasn't bothered to iron his clothes in the J.C. frame (either that, or they're a size too big).

Like I said, I almost picked the frames at random, so it might be a poor comparison, and even so it's basically a whole heap of little things. It says more that neothe0ne was able to notice a clear difference and that it took me almost ten minutes to get used to the new character designs, so there must be something different. Even if it is just a whole heap of little things, they still count, and, evidently, they still must add up. I'm not going to say that one style is better than the other at this stage (I generally don't take issue with an art style of itself, provided its consistent), but I am adamant that it's different somehow, if only because my gut is screaming at me that they are. It is, admittedly, pretty difficult to point out something majorly different, and the differences I pointed out are pretty contentious. That's why I think there are multiple little differences rather than a few major, noticeable differences.

As for the episode itself, I'm kinda of the same opinion as neothe0ne that Higurashi Rei did a better pointless swimsuit episode (partly because it went so goddamn over-the-top). As far as Hayate no Gotoku episodes are concerned, this one kinda ranks as below average. Biggest lol of the ep: Hayate catching Nishizawa's one-woman play.

-Sho- 2009-03-11 08:28

Good episode ^^ "service service service ... " XD
I'm not a fan for the school's swimsuit , i prefer the normal swimsuit ^^
Hina and Ayumu are my fav :)
yeah the design changed ..

Mentar 2009-03-11 10:50

I think you guys are forgetting something important: This isn't a normal run-of-the-mill OVA. This episode was very obviously and purposely designed to re-introduce all characters, not to come up with an awesome drop-dead-funny storyline. The point was to remind long-time viewers of the tidbits and to quickly introduce new viewers to the characters.

You could run a tick list, particularly for the secondary characters. Examples:

Isumi: Soft-spoken (check), liked by Wataru (check), gets lost all the time (check), is able to banish evil spirits with her powers (check)

Yukij: Teacher (check), drinks alot (check), always short on money (check), unreliable (check), scared of Hina (check)

... and so on. All these details were worked off not because they were somehow needed or even supporting a great storyline, but they were added to prepare the viewer for season 2.

Taking this into account, the episode really wasn't bad at all. At least I had my share of chuckles, which is a decent result for a reintroduction ep.

Oh, and for the art: Compared to the changes characters go through when studios change, the difference is pretty small. I could easily make a compilation of all-SynergySP episodes in no time to point out differences in their OWN style. There's no point in arguing subjective impressions, so I won't - but at least I can't find a reason to diss the J.C.Version based on animation.