AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Log Horizon (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Log Horizon Season 1 - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=125155)

Pellissier 2014-03-29 02:06

Log Horizon Season 1 - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Log Horizon ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun :)

Sheba 2014-05-14 11:56

• General impression of the series.

Often compared to its predecessors, and outright flaked because of this. Indeed, some people are still stuck in the mindset of No Need to Tell Another Story In the Genre Since the Genre Codifier Did It Better. And you know what I think of this mindset? Fuck this. Please feel free to write your vampire story even tho Ann Rice's stories and Hellsing did it well while Twilight ran it into the ground, it's how a genre lives and doesn't get stagnant. So Mamare Touno is welcome to add his twist on the Trapped in a MMO subgenre.

I was skeptical at first after my disappointment from those two series. The first one bored me to tears and I am one who loved reading War & Peace and cracking his knuckles while waiting for his copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms to come. The second one didn't exactly delivered in ways I expected.

Log Horizon was a pleasant surprise. You could tell the author was a gamer and wrote a story that had fun with the mannerisms of gamers while still not forgetting that Log Horizon is first a story.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.

With the threat of death out of the way, Mamare Touno was able to focus on what drive him the most into writing, the worldbuilding and social experiments. Log Horizon is best seen as an ensemble story told from the eyes of Shiroe and the eponymous guild.

Almost every shades of the human nature are dealt with, even tho the darker ones are toned down because of the airing channel. But also because Mamare himself is one to believe in the best of people. With Death out of the picture, there are still room for forgiveness and reconciliation as shown in a little scene between Touya, Minori and those Player Killers.

Of course, the most tasty part of Log Horizon comes from the meta-game, in gamer terms, which translates into politics in the world of Log Horizon. Anyone who had been high level in a MMO and had been involved in high level politicking between guilds will find some familiar ground in those. For those who are not familiar with the MMORPGs or only play it at casual level, this will fly over their head and will likely see it as petty disputes. Their loss.

Then comes the one part that had been mostly ignored by the two first aforementioned series, the NPCs. They are fascinating and raises a lot of questions about the nature of the player characters and the world itself. The few answers we have gotten in the limited run have raised even more questions begging for more answers. Which is why the announcement of the second season is a blessing.

• Thoughts about the animation quality.

It's one of the weaker points of the series. A lot of times, there were scenes where the characters were off-model. And the use of CGI is unfortunately detrimental to some scenes, such as the invasion of Sahuaguins.
  • Characters/Character Design

Serviceable. Hara's character designs feels the least LN-esque I have seen in a while. His style is closer to a shounen manga than you run-of-the-mill light novel. This translated well in the anime and does serve the story more than if it was more moé like a LN illustrated by Buriki, for example.
  • Voice Acting

Takuma Terashima's performance is one that stand out the most. He conveys every bits of Shiroe's character to a T, devious and scheming Shiroe, socially awkward Shiroe and gentle big brother figure Shiroe. I could comment on other voice actors but Terashima's performance was excellent and made Shiroe.
  • What the show meant to you.

It confirmed what I felt about Mamare Touno as a writer when I started getting into Maoyuu. I even think he matured and is having fun with Log Horizon, and it showed. He created a vibrant world that I would love to be a part of, with enough mysteries for the curious and the adventurous. He have achieved a balance of light-hearted fun and gravitas that other fictional worlds, such as Flonyard, could not achieve.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

Better production values, it helps more than people would love to believe.

Animation Quality: 6
Voice Actors: 8
Script: 9
Soundtrack: 8
Editing: 8
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 10

Average: 8

Flower 2014-07-07 02:32

Well, after being encouraged and pestered by another mod that I should have given this a try while it was airing I put in the "to steamroll later on" pile, and since we are in between seasons at the moment I took the opportunity to hack away at it over the weekend.

I guess I should preface this by saying that virtual reality rpg settings are not really my thing, regardless of the genre, and the only other series as a whole that I was able to follow through to the end was Hack:Sign. But Log Horizon grabbed my interest early on and to my surprise held it throughout to the end.

I guess an overall rating for the series that I would give it would be 7.5/10 or so. It was enjoyable as a whole. I liked the world building, I liked the characters and I liked the story overall.

The animation was okay for me. The few moments of cgi I just kinda ignored, but there were a few moments where I did notice scenes where I thought "Oh wow. That's cost cutting to be sure." They did not ruin any of the eps per se, but I did notice them. The audio was pretty good during the eps, and while the OP was eminently forgettable I found myself enjoying the visual/audio combo of the ED quite a bit, but not to the extent that I would listen to the ED audio only.

As others have said, though, this series does have emotional involvement and enjoyment going for it above all in my book.

By the way, for what it is worth my fave character hands down was Nyanta. No question. And the VA did a wonderful job conveying the feel of a swashbuckler. :D