AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Is the Gundam Movie Trilogy a good start? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=7344)

Spooky-Electric 2004-02-13 17:47

Is the Gundam Movie Trilogy a good start?

I haven't seen anything Gundam.. is the movie trilogy a good start?

I'm not a fan of dubs so I don't want to get te original MSG on DVD. Only the movie has subs.

JubeiYamazaki 2004-02-13 17:51

The Gundam 0079 "movie" trilogy is basically a huge recap of the entire series, so yeah its a really good start into the Gundam universe.

kj1980 2004-02-13 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
I haven't seen anything Gundam.. is the movie trilogy a good start?

I'm not a fan of dubs so I don't want to get te original MSG on DVD. Only the movie has subs.

Definitely.

Here is a great way to watch Gundam in chronological order (not necessarily the way it was actually released):

Universal Century Series
01. Original 1979 Gundam TV series (and/or if unavailable - the original Gundam Movie Trilogy)
02. Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
03. Gundam 08th MS Team (and Miller's Report)
04. Gundam 0083 (and/or if unavailable - Gundam 0083 Movie: Stardust Memories)
05. Gundam Z
06. ZZ Gundam
07. Gundam Movie Char's Counterattack
08. Gundam F91 Movie
09. V Gundam

Then, after completing the UCs, go onto
etc (no order required)
10. G Gundam
11. Gundam Wing
12. Gundam Wing Movie: Endless Waltz
13. Gundam X

And, to finish it off:
the recent ones
14. Turn-A Gundam (and/or if unavailable - Turn A Gundam Movies)
15. Gundam Seed

brightman 2004-02-13 19:17

IMO The Trilogy is a good start ONLY if you are planning to devote yourself to Gundam. For the casual anime fan who want to check out what Gundam's all about, I don't think those movies leave a very good impression due to their length and the rushed nature. Sitting through three 2 hour movies that goes at the speed of light is a bit of a turn off I think (since I've been there).

So I think starting off with the TV series is much better, but the fact that its not available on DVD with Japanese audio and its rarity might make it a bit impossible.

Oh and I think watching Wing before Endless Waltz is a good idea :heh: But yeah, AU's are best watched after you've seen UC.

kj1980 2004-02-13 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman
So I think starting off with the TV series is much better, but the fact that its not available on DVD with Japanese audio and its rarity might make it a bit impossible.

Interesting...so you are saying that the original Gundam TV series is out in the States, but it has no Japanese audio? I wonder why?

brightman 2004-02-13 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by kj1980
Interesting...so you are saying that the original Gundam TV series is out in the States, but it has no Japanese audio? I wonder why?

Yup, it indeed is out, only in English dubs, mainly due to the fact that the original audio track supposedly degenerated too much (which I believe is the reason why the DVDs for it were never released in Japan either)

In fact the TV series was aired on Cartoon Network, until 9/11 occurred that is.

On the other hand, the movies are out here with only the Japanese track... Funny people at Bandai...

microlith 2004-02-13 20:45

It dropped off CN cause it had really bad ratings. Lower than DBZ reruns.

Bandai made the movies sub-only as an offering to appease the sub fans for the dub-only TV disks, which don't look likely to ever get a release in japan.

Spooky-Electric 2004-02-13 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman

I would want to start with the TV series but as you said there is no version of the original TV series with Japanese audio. I hate dubs. :(

Copy Ninja 2004-02-14 14:28

i agree with the list above...except 08th ms should be watched right after MSG
then the alternate universes
1. Gundam Wing
2. Gundam Wing Movie: Endless Waltz
3. Gundam X
4. G Gundam
And
Gundam Seed...actually watch that asap...cuz its the best Gundam ive seen, unless you want to be really familiar with the entire Gundam universe first...otherwise, the first few UC series(up through 0083), Wing and then SEED...go back to the rest.

but Turn A...i could not get into that at all...maybe its cuz the Gundam has a moustache. :twitch:

Silver_Scorcher 2004-02-19 10:25

I'd say, watch the original Gundam trilogy if your an AU fan and have a mild interest in how the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise began. Actually, I'd say watch the Universal Century OVA's (0080, 08th MS team & 0083) first. They don't directly tie in with the original Gundam and if your picky about animation quality like myself, you'll have it easier if you watch the OVA's. I've seen 2/3 of the original trilogy as the special edition, which is a remastered version of the original trilogy in Japanese only (Yes it is a licensed version). So far it is interesting, and I just have to search for the last movie, before I get my hands on Zeta Gundam in September. Oddly enough I've already seen Char's Counterattack before even watching the original Gundam. I've also seen all of the UC OVA's, bits and pieces of Zeta and ZZ and I'm currently watching Victory & G Gundam. If you don't like DUBS (Actually I think MS Gundam has a good DUB), try and look for the special edition DVD version. It's only 3 DVD's and will save you alot of time and money from buying the TV version.

But if you haven't seen any Gundam whatsoever, I'd say start off with either Gundam Wing or Gundam SEED, maybe even the UC OVA's. My advice is to stay away from the original Gundam until you've atleast seen a couple of other series and the Gundam concept is interesting for you. Personally I watched Gundam Wing and then Gundam X before getting into the original Gundam saga's. The animation and mecha from the original will probably be a turn off for you.