AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   To Aru... Index [LN/M] (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   To Aru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Discussion (Archives) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=68255)

serenade_beta 2008-07-03 03:52

To Aru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Discussion (Archives)

For more information on the series, go to the anime thread~
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=67218

Thread for the novel version.

Haven't read any volumes yet, but went ahead and made a novel thread.

And, here are the volume illustrations, for people interested.
Future volume illustrations will continue on:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1068

Spoiler for saving space:

selkirk 2008-07-03 04:16

I may (huge stress on may) work on a translation of this, depending on how much time I can spare. Seems like something up my alley, and generally the originals are better than adaptations after all.

Chaos2Frozen 2008-07-03 07:20

:nod:

Looking good... Nice images, especially the few 'outstanding' ones :D

Can't wait for the anime to come out... Or at least more manga scna =_=

selkirk 2008-07-03 13:24

Eh, did this to get someone off my back mostly <_<. There's about 20% left which I'll get to in a day or two probably. This is about 10 pages of the actual novel. Translating 300x16 pages would be kinda crazy :uhoh:.

Spoiler for 80% of the prologue chapter:

The manga changed a number of things, but would be much much MUCH easier to translate. :eyespin:

serenade_beta 2008-08-04 00:48

For now, I might as well post a few thoughts I have, before I forget while waiting a possibly long while for volumes 3-12 to arrive...
(By the way, I could have bought 13-16+SS, but I bought four other books instead.)
(Reason for stopping at vol.12?... Guess.)
---

Most of the thoughts are targeted at vol.2, by the way.

-For one thing, there are times where the book goes into wayyy to much explanation. I see the point to, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel my interest in reading this volume draining everytime there are pages on this or that or some other stuff.

-"Anything is possible"
It seems the author really is writing with this mindset. While I understand this is a fantasy and unrealistic, there are times where it just seems... like she's pulling all kinds of "impressive scenes" and then uses her power as the author to go "Oh, don't worry. This is the reason" which brings about yet more pages of description.
One thing that really tested believability was
Spoiler:

-There are a number of moments where it seems the author just wanted to use a word. I understand using a foreign language for spells and stuff, but all of a sudden and no reason, she goes "hermit" or something... It isn't terminology or anything...

-Komoe, Mikoto, Kaori... None of them make a single appearance...

-Touma's straightforwardness was impressive to me in the first volume. By this volume and mostly the latter half, he started irritating me.
In the end, I think he snaps way too much. Maybe carry some ice around to chill his head on...

-I kind of understand why the manga skipped this volume now. I wonder just how well the anime plans to do this arc, considering all of the explanations and such...
What's more, this volume's heroine, Aisa... From what I heard, she's air and doesn't really do much from now on...

Spoiler for one more thing:

Mah... I just hope future volumes improve, since I don't have the hobby of wasting money.
By the way, Vol.2 wasn't absolutely horrible. The first half was rather decent with the somewhat shocking events... The first half, anyways.

Chaos2Frozen 2008-08-04 00:58

If anything, you should look forward to Volume 3 :D Judging from the images, it looks like it's Mikoto-centric ;)

Matt122005 2008-08-04 02:08

Can we expect future translations of this? Maybe a new b-t project.

-Matt

Sterling01 2008-08-04 05:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenade_beta (Post 1778089)
(Reason for stopping at vol.12?... Guess.)

Because it has this :heh::heh:

Oh and about protecting Index's smile.... it kinda changes.

Also for anyone interested here's the artist's website

serenade_beta 2008-08-04 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen (Post 1778100)
If anything, you should look forward to Volume 3 :D Judging from the images, it looks like it's Mikoto-centric ;)

Yeah. :D
And it introduces a couple other interesting-looking characters too... :eyespin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt122005 (Post 1778196)
Can we expect future translations of this? Maybe a new b-t project.

-Matt

That would be awesome, but I'm not daring to do it. This novel is like a translator's nightmare...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterling01 (Post 1778506)

:heh: Excellent pic, but it's simpler. Vol.12 is the last volume available with Mikoto on the cover. The next is just crazy-looking Accelerator...

Quote:

Oh and about protecting Index's smile.... it kinda changes.

Looking forward to the change~

Chaos2Frozen 2008-08-04 06:24

Quote:

How did the situation end up like this :eek: :eyespin: ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenade_beta (Post 1778606)
Yeah. :D
And it introduces a couple other interesting-looking characters too... :eyespin:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to a bigger list of named characters :heh:

Sterling01 2008-08-04 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen (Post 1778616)
How did the situation end up like this :eek: :eyespin: ?

Come on, it's not that hard to figure out :heh:
Though, in reality I have no idea as I just started vol 12
and here's that Pic in color (shows up at 1:08)

Also anyone know where the SS novel fits in regards to the timeline of the novels

serenade_beta 2008-08-04 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen (Post 1778616)
Yeah, I'm looking forward to a bigger list of named characters :heh:

I doubt they will all appear in the anime, but this series has a large list of characters... I actually worry about this fact.
Also, I wonder just how the author plans to "end" this series. And at what volume...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterling01 (Post 1778622)
Also anyone know where the SS novel fits in regards to the timeline of the novels

From what I heard, SS=short stories taking place after volume 13 (before vol.14).

serenade_beta 2008-09-09 23:05

......Hah... This isn't bad, but I can't help feelings dissatisfied at some points, you know~~... It's still interesting and all though... I think the author needs a bit more work on the storytelling...

The following are opinions after reading 3-4:

*Last note: As much as I sound I didn't like it, it was a good read. Good, anyways. Nothing higher.
---

First, I really question why Accelerator and Motoharu are so popular.
Personality-wise, they aren't great at all. Accelerator is half(?) psychotic, and Motoharu is just simply has traits of characters I tend to dislike
Spoiler for the part:

The only thing I can think of is that they have entertaining ways of talking. Then again, Imouto isn't any different from that part.
Of course, there are still more than 10 volumes with them to star in, so maybe I'm just missing something, but first impressions tend to be important to me, so having a bad first impression=hostility towards character forever, is how it usually goes...

Second, is the more clear problem of forgotten characters. In a whole, it isn't a problem, yes, but as a reader going through the volumes slowly, it is.
I mean, WHAT happened to Accelerator at the end of volume 3?
Misha in volume 4?
Hello~ I'd like to know here. Surely you can at least tell as a sentence as to what happened, you know.

Third, is the fact that Touma's actions get duller by the volume. Volume 3 was still fine, as he actually seems somewhat cool, but his importance is almost questionable in volume 4, and I must wonder if he has to always be so one-pattern on everything. I swear, he must say "FUZAKERUNA!" at least once every volume.
--

Onto more volume-separated thoughts:

Starting with volume 4, for no reason...

When Motoharu described magicians and what they were
Spoiler for the whole thing on:

the first thing I thought was
"Oh great, so the magicians in this novel are a bunch of egotistical emo-characters, huh... Can't look forward to more magic-side stories"
Of course, let me point it, this is just a first thought.
Still...

I'm not sure why, but despite focusing a lot on Kaori, my impression of her went down rather than up. That, and I realized that she has a hot body (*points to pictures in vol.4 tab*)
Spoiler for a couple thoughts:

Is how I thought of things, and I honestly couldn't find myself sympathizing with her.

And seriously, what happened to the "heroine"? Aisa was absolute air and Index wasn't much better. Heck, the "main characters" have completely swapped, disappointing people who continued reading for those characters.
And at the same time, they continue creating new characters.

What's more, the overall story felt kind of messy, where they jump from place to place. Though I must credit the story for being unpredictable. Even if
Spoiler:

Last thing, but Touya=Cool dad

---

Now then, writing too much, on to vol.3...

I found there to be much less problem than vol.4, despite Index being... pointless.

Imouto really has a entertaining way of talking. (Accelerator too)

And Kuroko gets her first appearance, that pervert.

Putting it short (ah-ah~, tired), I'll just list the only part I felt dissatisfaction:
Spoiler for yah:

Sterling01 2008-09-09 23:53

Serenade you can expect that whenever Touma seems like he's about to die the "power of feelings" will be kicked to the max...
On another note I just started volume 13

elroid 2008-09-10 01:07

Anyone feels that Touma recovers from his injuries a little too fast? I got that feeling when i was reading volume 4-5.

volume 4 begins at 28th august, the party spend 2 day for the angel fall, then wake up in the 3rd day in the hospital, so it should end at 30 august. However, volume 5 story begins in at 31st august...

loltan 2008-10-13 21:09

Why does Quickman strip Pikachu so much?

Used Can 2008-10-14 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenade_beta (Post 1885333)
And seriously, what happened to the "heroine"? Aisa was absolute air and Index wasn't much better. Heck, the "main characters" have completely swapped, disappointing people who continued reading for those characters.
And at the same time, they continue creating new characters.

So, the story is focused in many different characters, rather than on those which are supposed to be the main ones?

I liked the first 2 episodes of the anime, but for what I saw on the pics above, this story seems to turn out to be a harem-novel with action.

serenade_beta 2008-10-14 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by loltan (Post 1986184)
Why does Quickman strip Pikachu so much?

What?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Used Can (Post 1987562)
So, the story is focused in many different characters, rather than on those which are supposed to be the main ones?

I liked the first 2 episodes of the anime, but for what I saw on the pics above, this story seems to turn out to be a harem-novel with action.

Yes, that's a good way to say it. It's like... there's no specific main character (this is particularly noticeable with the female characters).
That is why the ED is made fun of (no ill intention, of course), for making Index seem like the real heroine, despite having practically no role in the next few volumes.

Used Can 2008-10-14 15:35

Hmm... I think I'll find this difficult to follow then. Usually, the main characters are the ones that hook me up to the story. Personally, even if the plot is really good, without defined (and good) main characters, at some point I'll get bored and maybe even annoyed.

AlaAlba 2008-10-15 12:34

just finished read vol 10 ^^. reading that vol, I feel like reading a japanese ver of angels & demons (dan brown) or davinci code with full conflict around vatican and church :rolleyes:

and I wondering for some time; why index dont get her "walking church" again? it s so stupid I think cause there re no reason to not give it her a new one X.X

and what happened to that chunks of AIM field girl?