AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Jericho Cancelled (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48125)

Kaioshin Sama 2007-05-25 12:00

Jericho Cancelled

Quite possibly the best TV Drama in years has been cancelled by CBS for indeterminable reasons. Everybody was talking about this show and it has seen runaway popularity, yet it has been cancelled. This leads me to believe that networks do not in fact actively make an effort to gauge their shows popularity, but rather guess as to how well it was doing, because Jericho was damn popular. Anyway post what you think if you were a fan of Jericho.

Tommy 2007-05-25 13:52

Never heard of it.

Crovax 2007-05-25 18:04

I'm not going to argue with you whether or not it was popular, but have you any objective information clarly indicating that it was popular and doing well, other than your feeling/sense/experience that it was?

I mean, I understand one is disappointed when one's favourite show gets cancelled, but their decision might have been more considered and correct than you suspect. The sun doesn't revolve around the earth after all. :)

FatPianoBoy 2007-05-25 18:15

Well this sucks. I caught half an episode a while back and was quite impressed. I'd been planning on getting into it, but now I see little reason. I'm already jaded enough by what happened to Firefly.

Garet Jax 2007-05-25 21:08

I thought the show was quite good, so I'm really disappointed to hear this. I'd say "At least they finished the season", unlike some shows that get axed, but nothing was really resolved, so that doesn't help much. How do these things work, anyway? Is there any way it could be picked up by another network?

Quote:

After drawing a pretty solid 10.7 million viewers over its first 11 episodes in the fall, it fell off sharply after a long hiatus. The second half of the season fell to around 8 million viewers, with the adults 18-49 numbers also taking a sizable hit, often hovering just above a 2.0 rating.

"You know, it had good viewers, loyal viewers, but the show just really kind of lost its engine," Tassler says. "It was a hard decision. It's a hard decision in any year."
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-je...news-headlines

The ratings drop doesn't seem that big, but I guess there must be a magic number.

steelbound 2007-05-27 15:58

I watched the first couple of episodes and liked it alot then missed a couple weeks and stopped watching. I was meaning to get back to the show but I guess it's pointless now.

Do the tv execs realize long hiatuses in the season kill any sort of momentum a show has. One of the reasons I like to watch anime is the japanese don't slice the series up. Look at shows like Bleach, to them it's preferable to show filler episodes to keep the show going even though just about everyone complains about these episodes instead of taking the show off the air for a year.

Sazelyt 2007-05-28 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garet Jax (Post 963236)
The ratings drop doesn't seem that big, but I guess there must be a magic number.

That 3 million loss is a big drop in the number of viewers, especially for a channel that is already comfortably ahead of the others. It has the luxury of getting rid of shows that do not perform well. Probably, that show would have stayed around that number or lose some more at the beginning of the new season, after another break. I guess, if the show would have stayed around the number that represents ABC's average viewers (~9.5 million), it wouldn't be canceled.

Kaioshin Sama 2007-06-05 22:07

Apparently the Fan Campaign may have worked. Talks are in order to renew the series for at least eight episodes according to news reports such as the LA Times.

Westlo 2007-06-05 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbound (Post 965542)
Do the tv execs realize long hiatuses in the season kill any sort of momentum a show has. One of the reasons I like to watch anime is the japanese don't slice the series up. Look at shows like Bleach, to them it's preferable to show filler episodes to keep the show going even though just about everyone complains about these episodes instead of taking the show off the air for a year.

Personally I wished anime shows actually took hiatuses sometimes. For instance we wouldn't have ended up with that horrible 3rd Rurouni Kenshin arc which got the show cancelled before they could get to Jinchuu. The majority of Naruto and Bleach filler is horrible, even 50 ep shows could benefit from a few weeks brake so we wouldn't get multiple recap eps ala SEED, Destiny & Code Geass.

Kaioshin Sama 2008-02-22 23:08

Jericho (also known as the only good show to appear on CBS since the turn of the century) is actually back on the air now as we speak, and it's almost better than when it went off. The acting is still incredible as is the drama and stylish presentation and the situation has changed again. The war with New Bern is in a ceasefire stage as the U.S Army has been sent in by the new government based in Cheyenne, Washington which is trying to reunite the country. So far only 15 states have fallen in, but Kansas is set to be the next one and it's almost looking like they want to make Jericho the capital. Of course there's some conspiracy concerning certain elements behind the government and the saga is nowhere near over as far as anyone can tell.

If people haven't already picked this show up I strongly suggest they do as it's pretty much the best Drama series on U.S TV right now. It's fiendishly addictive too and everyone I know of who has watched one episode (myself included) has ended up marathoning the series right up to the current episode. Imagine 24 only like 10 times more depth and intrigue per minute than even the first season.

Aoie_Emesai 2008-02-22 23:12

I only saw the first episode about 30 mins in, but I was still very interested in the plot. I'm sadden to hear it go away >.<

mist2123 2008-02-22 23:21

WHAT its cancelled!!!!:frustrated: i like this show especially because of the conspiracy on the U.S government

I say fans should sign a petition to continue the series!:upset:

I think scifi is airing the series cuz i just saw a commercial about Jericho when i was watching SGA :)
i hope scifi continues to air it

Aoie_Emesai 2008-02-22 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mist2123 (Post 1416786)
WHAT its cancelled!!!!:frustrated: i like this show especially because of the conspiracy on the U.S government

I petition for "Surface" but that did nothing >.<

Kaioshin Sama 2008-02-22 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mist2123 (Post 1416786)

Look at the last post, that was a while ago. Don't worry it's very much still on the air thanks to all the fans pulling together back in 2007. What this series needs now is it's own thread.

mist2123 2008-02-22 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama (Post 1416802)
Look at the last post, that was a while ago. Don't worry it's very much still on the air thanks to all the fans pulling together back in 2007. What this series needs now is it's own thread.

thx man i just saw the wiki:heh:

Daughter! 2008-02-22 23:53

I've never heard of it, but that's too bad for all the fans.

boggart 2008-02-23 01:27

Hmmm... I guess the title of this thread is rather misleading... LOL

Kaioshin Sama 2008-03-25 10:43

The shows has been cancelled again thanks to the overwhelming stupidity of CBS. Apparently a 6.8 million viewer low in the Nielsen ratings is not good enough for them so they decided to pull the plug on what is easily the best drama to grace TV in years. That's it I'm giving up on U.S TV and going back to anime again since at least if recent anime isn't quite as good as I found Jericho there's like a 99% less chance of any given anime series getting cancelled out of the blue. Here's to more reality TV and crappy gameshows like Deal or No Deal. That's what networks want right (I say this because Jericho has overwhelming fan support so it doesn't make any sense to cancel it again).

As it stands tonight is somehow supposed to be the final episode and I don't see how that could possibly work. There are still so many plotlines going and there's no way to bring about a satisfying conclusion in less than 45 minutes. The producers of the show are trying to get it off of CBS (Good idea because the networks are crap honestly and killed the show like they always do, a bad timeslot and ratings thresholds that are impossible for the show to attain) and onto the Sci-Fi channel (I'm sure Sci-Fi would be glad to have such an amazing show and it's audience).

TigerII 2008-03-25 11:12

Only thing I ever watch on regular TV are sitcoms. Any series shows always gets beat with a stick until there is goo left.

I mean look at Lost. The producers confirmed the final episode. Set for 2012...

Solais 2008-03-25 11:53

Well, I liked it, but they discontinued showing in my country because of the lack of popularity.