AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Mobile Suit Gundam AGE - Episode 07 Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=108459)

monster 2011-11-22 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama (Post 3869535)
He probably still just doesn't completely trust him yet and really it's kind of hard to blame him. I mean the guy basically did just hijack the battleship they are on, has no problems acting independently of the chain of command, and basically sketches out Emily and only came clean because she caught him red-handed. We as the viewer have reason to believe that Grodek is on the level cause we've seen inside his head and why he's doing all this, but Flit hasn't and all he sees is him trying to cut deals with people like Don Voyage who clearly aren't on the level and who just want better weapons to wage further war against their enemies at the colonists expense.

You have to realize, though, that Flit doesn't know any of that part of your post that I bolded yet. And while Flit does have misgivings about Fardain's war, I wouldn't say that he thinks Don is completely evil. And Grodek already gave his reasons for why he's dealing with Don. Now, it's true that, at this point, this might just be uncertainty on Flit's part. But I could see him being at odds with Grodek in the future seeing as how Gridek appears willing to do anything to get at the UE. There might come a time when it'll just be too much for Flit.

Kaioshin Sama 2011-11-23 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 3869541)
You have to realize, though, that Flit doesn't know any of that part of your post that I bolded yet. And while Flit does have misgivings about Fardain's war, I wouldn't say that he thinks Don is completely evil. And Grodek already gave his reasons for why he's dealing with Don. Now, it's true that, at this point, this might just be uncertainty on Flit's part. But I could see him being at odds with Grodek in the future seeing as how Gridek appears willing to do anything to get at the UE. There might come a time when it'll just be too much for Flit.

Thanks for giving me something to talk about other than griping about the show, though I'm not sure I can see any reason for Grodek and Flit to be in conflict. Maybe they'll disagree on how to attack the nest or something, but I can't see it going any further than that since their idealogy of defeating the UE so no more innocents have to suffer seems more likely to bring them together rather than put a wedge between them going forward.

Daniel E. 2011-11-23 03:42

Guys, please keep your comments focused on the episode itself. If you want to comment on the show as a whole, please use the general discussion thread for that.

felix 2011-11-23 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama (Post 3869727)
Thanks for giving me something to talk about other than griping about the show, though I'm not sure I can see any reason for Grodek and Flit to be in conflict. Maybe they'll disagree on how to attack the nest or something, but I can't see it going any further than that since their idealogy of defeating the UE so no more innocents have to suffer seems more likely to bring them together rather than put a wedge between them going forward.

I agree with this, but for different reasons. Essentially Grodek can't fly a fleet all by himself so tacking the current crew of the Diva and other pilots like Wolf into consideration, it's unlikely anything substantially ground shacking will happen between Grodek and Flint. Grodek has had plenty of time to shed tears, it's unlikely he'll do anything that doesn't go in his favor.

monster 2011-11-23 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama (Post 3869727)

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that they will necessarily end up opposing each other just because Flit didn't shake Grodek's hand.

But I think it's interesting to think that you have a guy like Flit who is determined to fight the UE. He's had to prove himself to a more experienced pilot like Woolf. And he's still dealing with a friend like Emily who's constantly worrying about him thinking that he's still just a kid. And now all of a sudden, the captain of the battleship that's fighting the UE practically says he needs Flit. Flit should have been happy that he's being officially recruited and that his talent is being recognized/appreciated for once. But instead, Flit hesitated to shake his hand. Perhaps the conflict in Fardain is starting to make Flit think of collateral damage in war. You can even factor in Yurin who may or may not be part of the UE. If she is, Flit might be caught in between Yurin and Grodek.

Again, I'm not saying that any of this is actually going to happen. Still, for a guy who's willing to jump into a mobile suit to fight the UE despite everybody else thinking he's just a kid to be hesitant in the face of recognition... We might have something here. Or I'm just overanalyzing the scene. :heh:

Realist_Classic 2011-11-23 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 3870068)
Still, for a guy who's willing to jump into a mobile suit to fight the UE despite everybody else thinking he's just a kid to be hesitant in the face of recognition... We might have something here. Or I'm just overanalyzing the scene. :heh:

Not at all. I also think that scene was significant. I interpret the hesitation as Flit's uncertainty whether his personal goal is compatible with Grodek's. Both seek a similar end, but Flit's not sure whether motivations from personal revenge is a good thing. He also lost a loved one, but that's not what drives him.

felix 2011-11-23 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 3870068)
Still, for a guy who's willing to jump into a mobile suit to fight the UE despite everybody else thinking he's just a kid to be hesitant in the face of recognition... We might have something here. Or I'm just overanalyzing the scene. :heh:

Well him shacking his hand meta-analysis aside, comes off as really cheezy on screen. :heh:

monster 2011-11-23 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realist_Classic (Post 3870114)
Not at all. I also think that scene was significant. I interpret the hesitation as Flit's uncertainty whether his personal goal is compatible with Grodek's. Both seek a similar end, but Flit's not sure whether motivations from personal revenge is a good thing. He also lost a loved one, but that's not what drives him.

Yeah, with Flit, I feel it's less about revenge and more about not wanting what happened to him to happen again (either to himself or to others).
Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 3870131)
Well him shacking his hand meta-analysis aside, comes off as really cheezy on screen. :heh:

Oh come on, you really think shaking hands would be cheesy? :heh: Well, it might, but it sure would fit his character, I think.

felix 2011-11-23 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 3870159)
Oh come on, you really think shaking hands would be cheesy? :heh: Well, it might, but it sure would fit his character, I think.

I do. Age aside, he's technically the "superior officer" figure; kind of. Now if the idea to shake on it came from Flint, that's a different story.

kakakka 2011-11-23 10:53

I think Grodek offering his hands to Flit is some sort of trying to confirm if they are on the same level of understanding. Offering hand come off as, "I am formal with you on this, so I am talking to you like you are also an adult" kind of thing.

Thinking about it, there are other ways for this too, the "look directly to the eye" confirmation or the more cheesy "pinky wear" approach.

felix 2011-11-23 11:04

For the record I don't really mind the eyes, or just about any other "subtle" approach its just the formal handshake that bugged me. Kinda of came out of nowhere as far as I'm concerned.

monster 2011-11-23 11:11

Oh well, I don't really see any problem with two people shaking hands. It's usually done to seal cooperation or an agreement. And that's basically what Grodek is asking of Flit in this episode.

Realist_Classic 2011-11-23 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 3870268)
For the record I don't really mind the eyes, or just about any other "subtle" approach its just the formal handshake that bugged me. Kinda of came out of nowhere as far as I'm concerned.

We've seen Flit accept a handshake offer from Woolf, and one can arguably interpret Yurin's gift as a similar sign of establishing understanding and trust. Those didn't seem all that much out of place, either. But his hesitance towards Grudek is very interesting, indeed, considering he's the most powerful person he knows at the moment.

kakakka 2011-11-23 11:22

I don't think Grodek offering Flit a handshake is that subtle. Thinking of it, it might have come as sort of "protocol"(?) to me when trying to know if the other person is in agreement.

ookamigirl 2011-11-26 05:44

This Gundam kinda reminds of the old anime I used to watch as a kid. The way it was drawn is pretty much the same. It's kinda nostalgic.
So Flit got into some trouble this time, but he worked it out as usual.
Wonder who & what those aliens are..

Archon_Wing 2011-12-16 01:50

Episode 7-- Dinner with the enemy.

Well, as expected Flit gets captured, but they aren't gonna lay a hand to him; that would ruin the bargaining process. Anyhow, the federation isn't good enough to combat the UE alone, so they will need to find other ways.

The highlight of this episode was definitely the Emily protest into mecha fight. Fun stuff. 7/10