AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Claymore (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Claymore - Manga Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=28507)

GundamZZ 2006-01-31 14:35

Claymore - Manga Discussion Thread

Claymore is the recent manga I read. It's Shounen Jump's answer to Berserk. In addition, it also has feel from PC game Diablo.

As usual, Europe of Dark Age is overrun by man hunting monsters. Some monsters are as large as skyscrapers. The only solution on the continent is to fight dark force with dark force. You get to see beautiful skinny blond young girls chopping monsters with big swords(claymore). Overall, it's one of the must read for sword action manga fans.

sukreih 2006-02-02 00:37

I have only read Angel Densetsu by the same artist, I liked his pictures. Also heard Claymore is okay,should give it a try.

NoSanninWa 2006-02-02 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by GundamZZ
Claymore is the recent manga I read. It's Shounen Jump's answer to Berserk. In addition, it also has feel from PC game Diablo.

As usual, Europe of Dark Age is overrun by man hunting monsters. Some monsters are as large as skyscrapers. The only solution on the continent is to fight dark force with dark force. You get to see beautiful skinny blond young girls chopping monsters with big swords(claymore). Overall, it's one of the must read for sword action manga fans.

Sounds much more like Bastard, than Berserk. The difference is that in Bastard, while most humans may be miserably inadequate, there are a few who can kick monster ass in a big way.

GundamZZ 2006-02-02 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukreih
I have only read Angel Densetsu by the same artist, I liked his pictures. Also heard Claymore is okay,should give it a try.

In the beginning, the story seems ok. Lately, it is becoming more exciting.
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Sounds much more like Bastard, than Berserk. The difference is that in Bastard, while most humans may be miserably inadequate, there are a few who can kick monster ass in a big way.

Hmm.. I don't think my description sound like Bastard, since Bastard is about apocalypse world. On the other hand, I may not give it enough description. In the world of Claymore, there are no GODS so far. Only two beings exist, humans and demons. Demons disguised as humans and lived among the humans. An mecenary group comes up an idea. They integrate demon flesh into their warriors. So, those warriors can search and kill real demons. All men warriors become demons after they release their demon power. So, the organization only create woman warriors. Those warriors have higher success rate to restrain their demon power. All of them have dark past, since it's easier for the organization to recruit warriors from orphan girls. Those girls become orphan because their families were whipped out by demons. It's how the story goes. There's high fantacy magic like Bastard and Record of Lodoss War. Every battle is fought in slash and hack way.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3142/irene9xk.jpg

Xellos-_^ 2006-02-02 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSanninWa

It is more Berserk then Bastard. Less fanservice (close to nil), darker storyline and very low lvl of magic.

zorroc2001 2006-02-11 19:44

Quote:

In the beginning, the story seems ok. Lately, it is becoming more exciting. To fight the fallen comrads, the heroines are gathered in the northern town. The warrior number 8 and warrior number 9 seem to be more interesting later on.
Spoiler for chapter 57:

GundamZZ 2006-02-13 00:22

I read that part, too. So sad. There was no chance for Flora-chan(number 8) to come back.

I found the ranking rather amusing. Some lower rank silver eye witches may have stronger power.

Silver witches ranking for the current generation
1. Alicia(nickname: black)
2. Beth
3.Galatea(skill: hypnosis)
4.Ophelia
5.Raphelia(skill: stealth)
6.Melia(nickname:phantom, skill: running speed)
7.Eva
8.Flora(nickname:wind cutter, skill: sword weilding speed)
9.Jean
11.Undine(skill: strength)
13.Veronica
14.Cynthia
15.Denver(skill: recovery?)
22. Helen(skill:stretch arms?)
47. Claire(protagonist)

Silver witches ranking from the previous generation
1.Teresa(nickname:smile, skill:sense)
2.Priscilla(skill: stealth)
3.Irene(nickname: high speed sword, skill: sword weilding speed)
4.Sophia(nick name: arm power, skill: strength)
5.Noel(nickname: fast wind, skill: running speed)

The combat skills include:
1.Sense(detecting demon power)
2.Stealth(hiding demon power)
3.Running speed
4.Sword weilding skill
5.Strength
6.Recovery(regenerate body part)

Jean(number 9) has an unusual skill. She uses grinding attack. Before each attack, she winds her arms several times(ouch!don't do it at home). There might be more unusual skills out there.

shaselai 2006-07-02 20:37

anyone here know more about the series? I read up to latest in manga... too bad its monthly only though. I think the manga is a bit high-paced. some chars introduced then die like next storyarc... At least Melia and Lucky are still alive. Lucky is actually trying to be stronger being trained by the enemy(?). I hope mangaka continues this manga for a long time

Drytchnath 2006-12-30 08:21

Just started reading Claymore this month, got up to volume 3 and im loving it. This series has the potential to be one hell of a good anime as well.

mohdgame 2006-12-30 08:52

Atlast , After a long searching for such manga has the same or smiliar story as berserk , That talks about Medival Europe. The happiness that filled my heart and soul , I already smell the enjoyment and the ink from its glorious pages! I already feel the excitment of turning every each page!

I enjoyed berserk till volume 31 , And i refuse to read it in chapters , I read it volume by volume. But berserk need 3 months for every volume. And my heart cannot wait that long!

I hope that you tell me if its downable via the internet , If its not i will have to go to buy it! ClayMore , I will get you even if your hidden inside the mountain inside the heat of hell! I shall win you!

I miss the nights when i had 3 volumes of berserk , Loads of coke and stuff. and i sit hours reading it with passionate and the joy of turning each page , And explore what hidden within its priceless pages.

Sorry i wrote too long! But I am already excited.

( I know , I might be little weird , But a nice guy when get to know of )

If any one knows where can i get. Please do not HESITATE contacting me via Email or messenger.

Mohdweb@hotmail.com

Thanks for the good news.

mohdgame 2006-12-30 09:07

I was disappointment , Though its a good manga , But i liked the "Hero fantasy" manga's. A strong man with his friends and he protects them and stuff. Just like guts in berserk :)

Drytchnath 2006-12-30 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohdgame (Post 784069)
I was disappointment , Though its a good manga , But i liked the "Hero fantasy" manga's. A strong man with his friends and he protects them and stuff. Just like guts in berserk :)

Sorry to hear it didn't sit as well with you as it did with me and some of the other posters here. I never really thought of Claymore as a Berserk clone, but i did like the dark and at times bloody storyline so it does have a few similarities to Berserk-which I've only seen the anime. Clare is a likeable protagonist as well, which helps draw you in. I do find it a little odd that this is a shonen manga that has a strong, confident female lead. Is that unusual for stuff shown in Shonen Jump?
I don't generally read manga or even novels nowadays but I saw this while browsing Borders and it piqued my curiousity. So I mentioned it as a Christmas present and now I'm hooked. If you remotely enjoyed Berserk and like swordplay and man-eating demon slaying then Claymore might be just what you're looking for. Highly recomended.

lommm 2007-01-01 21:17

is the tone of the manga anything like d. gray-man? because your description of humans and demons, plus demons disguised as humans and humans who merged with demons to become ultimate demon hunters sounds a lot like the premise of d. gray-man. only difference being the swords/medievil setting. i understand it's a lot more graphic (hence the berserk comparisons) but your description still sounds similar. oh well, i found some scans of the first 5 volumes so i will look through for myself.

Bandersnatch 2007-01-01 22:36

I read the first volume awhile back, thought it was good but didn't get hooked. Guess I need to read more to develop the story more. Have read Angel Densetsu, hes come a long way with his art in Claymore.

Drytchnath 2007-01-02 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandersnatch (Post 786313)
I read the first volume awhile back, thought it was good but didn't get hooked. Guess I need to read more to develop the story more. Have read Angel Densetsu, hes come a long way with his art in Claymore.

The 1st 2 volumes set things up and explains some important things about the workings of the world/setting in Claymore. Volume 3+ is were things start to get really interesting and 5 is a cliffhanger atm b/c the 6th volume isn't out till Feb. I think.
As for the D-Gray Man comparisons...I'ts not too similar. I've only seen the 1st ep. of the D-Gray Man anime, haven't read the manga. From the way they described the monsters in that, it seemed like they put souls of the dearly departed in machines that twisted and warped them into demons. I think the demon/Yoma slayers in Claymore actually have demon/Yoma organs and flesh transplanted into them physically at a young age in order to fight them(the demons).

nadare 2007-01-02 10:33

Hm... D. Gray man and Claymore are entirely different. I view D. Gray Man as "light" action(not much angst). While I view Claymore as one of the "Darker" action(blood, head arms cut off, angst etc.).

While the first two volumes werent that interesting. You should wait till you read the third volume of the first "long" arc. Volume 4(half) - volume 5(half) is about Teressa.

Aristophanes 2007-01-05 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorroc2001 (Post 475446)
Spoiler for chapter 57:

Woah could you do me the courtesy of putting that in spoiler bars dude, i only have the first volume.

Edit by Mod: I'll add those tags and penalize the perpetrator. Everyone should use spoiler tags as a matter of courtesy especially when those chapters aren't released in English.

Super Ska Master 2007-01-09 22:00

I can't stand the art and character design.

ccardoso 2007-03-17 05:21

In volume 7...
Spoiler:

Nightengale 2007-03-18 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccardoso (Post 865680)
In volume 7...
Spoiler:

I'm not so sure how to clearly say it...

Spoiler: