AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Penguin Drum (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Penguin Drum - Spoilers & Speculation - Novel Penguins (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107073)

Kairin 2011-09-23 02:59

Penguin Drum - Spoilers & Speculation - Novel Penguins

This thread is for the experienced Penguin Drum viewer (i.e. those of you who are familiar with potentially all the light novels / manga), its purpose is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation over the Penguin Drum anime series, it therefore will contain unmarked spoilers. If you are a light novel / manga virgin of Penguin Drum, then do not read this thread unless you want to be spoiled (use the Penguin Drum - Spoilers & Speculation thread).

Since posters are expected to be familiar with the light novel / manga, there is no real need for spoiler tags, but feel free to include them if you so wish.

Adding a Spoiler tag:
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...al/spoiler.gifJust highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a title that clearly identifies the specific source of the spoiler!

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous anime episodes. Also remember that this isn't a light novel / manga discussion thread, if you do want to discuss the light novel then please use the existing thread.

Kirarakim 2011-11-01 15:34

I get really confused where to discuss the novel on here but since it is starting to be translated (by Good Haro) I figure this is the right spot.

And although the first post says no spoiler tags needed I will use them just in case

Spoiler for Novel 2 Be Warned:

Anyways I really hope the anime conveys this scene somehow. I think the anime hasn't done a good job (so far) of conveying that Shouma does feel useless & his fear if he did anything he would just cause trouble.

It is also nice to finally get a moment between Kanba & Shouma again. It feels like it's been awhile.

YayPepsi 2011-11-01 18:39

All right so since this is from the novel I'll just post this here. >_> Some more translations from Good Haro, she posted them on 4chan.

Spoiler:

Kirarakim 2011-11-01 18:57

Really nice to see a moment of bonding like that between the 3 siblings.

Hope it will make it in the anime. I do think I read some scenes in the novel will be extended & might not be in the animated version.

VictorVV 2011-11-01 20:42

Maybe the curve in the metro line means that the anime will diverge from the novel at that point. It would fit with the release date.

Kazu-kun 2011-11-01 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorVV (Post 3836997)
Maybe the curve in the metro line means that the anime will diverge from the novel at that point. It would fit with the release date.

No, Takahashi Kei already confirmed the novel won't diverge from the anime storyline.

YayPepsi 2011-11-01 20:55

More from the novel! Thanks to Good Haro

Spoiler:

Someone's jealous.

Edit: Even more penguin fun:

Spoiler:

By the way, when the translator gives these a more permanent home, I'll delete what I have pasted here and post the links. The only reason I'm copying and pasting is because they're on 4chan and threads get deleted quickly over there. For what it's worth though, here's a link to the archived thread: http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/56665385#p56672339

Narzia 2011-11-02 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by YayPepsi (Post 3837011)
More from the novel! Thanks to Good Haro

Spoiler:

Spoiler for huh:

Kazu-kun 2011-11-02 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narzia (Post 3838204)
Spoiler for huh:

I hope there will be a really good explanation for this. Otherwise it will ruin the plot for me.

YayPepsi 2011-11-02 14:38

Well, it could be his anything. For all you know she might have been saying
Spoiler:
Wording it that way would have of course been a fake-out though.

I'm interested in the fact that Sanetoshi
Spoiler:

Kazu-kun 2011-11-02 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by YayPepsi (Post 3838287)
Well, it could be his anything. For all you know she might have been saying
Spoiler:
Wording it that way would have of course been a fake-out though.

Yeah, that would be a bit retarded IMO.

I think this is like what happened in Utena.

Spoiler for utena and penguin spoilers:
Basically Utena 2.0. With this, Ikuhara is starting to look more and more like a one trick pony IMO.

YayPepsi 2011-11-02 15:18

Utena's ending moved me to tears on more than one occasion. </sap> So if the ending's even a bit as good as Utena's I'll be happy, even if they do end up being similar.

Kirarakim 2011-11-02 15:22

I also thought the Utena ending was wonderful and I actually had a lot of issues connecting with Utena as a series but I thought the ending was fantastic.

Anyways I don't really have any theories about this because unlike Shouma & Shouma/Ringo I don't feel like I can get my head around where Ikuhara wants to go with Kanba Kanba/Himari.

I still almost feel like letting go of Himari might be important but who knows.

However I don't think a storyteller using similar themes in more than one work is a bad thing. I actually like when there is a connection between a creators work because then you can truly see their creative stamp on it. Of course not that I had a problem seeing Ikuhara all over Penguindrum before this though.

Kazu-kun 2011-11-02 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by YayPepsi (Post 3838332)
Utena's ending moved me to tears on more than one occasion. </sap> So if the ending's even a bit as good as Utena's I'll be happy, even if they do end up being similar.

I liked it too. It's just that after 10 years I can't help expecting something different... equally powerful, but different.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirarakim (Post 3838338)
However I don't think a storyteller using similar themes in more than one work is a bad thing. I actually like when there is a connection between a creators work because then you can truly see their creative stamp on it. Of course not that I had a problem seeing Ikuhara all over Penguindrum before this though.

It's not about the themes really. It's cool if he wants to revisit the same themes he touched upon in Utena, as long as he does it in a different way. That's all I want.

Kirarakim 2011-11-02 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun (Post 3838342)
It's not about the themes really. It's cool is he wants to revisit the same themes he touched upon in Utena, as long as he do it in a different way. That's all I want.

Well I don't think it can be exactly the same because while in Utena: Anthy & Utena always came out as the main protagonists I think it's not so clear cut in Penguindrum:

We have Natsume trying to save Mario
Yuri trying to bring back Momoka
Spoiler for Novel 2:

Kanba (& Shouma) trying to save Himari

And I do know in Utena all the supporting characters had something they wanted to do as well but I felt their stories were presented as their own stories. There is a larger connection between all the characters here.

And also while I feel Kanba will play a large part in all this I can't discount that Shouma will be important somehow too (and Ringo). It's pretty clear the story is trying to make it like he feels he can't do anything for a reason.

So really I don't think it is very easy to predict exactly where the story will go!

YayPepsi 2011-11-02 16:06

Quote:

So really I don't think it is very easy to predict exactly where the story will go!
Yeah, I agree! It's been quite a ride so far. I hadn't been able to predict half the things that happened in this show. It definitely went a different direction than what I expected after the first episode.

YayPepsi 2011-11-03 08:06

The entire chapter is here: http://privatepaste.com/b1815dfea7

Spoiler:

faburosumakusu 2011-11-04 12:58

first chunk of episode 18/chapter 9:

http://privatepaste.com/15d5fb4f0f

Also, prologue of the 2nd novel:

http://penguindrum.livejournal.com/36747.html#cutid1

YayPepsi 2011-11-04 13:49

Oh no, I said I wouldn't look. But...it's so tempting. D:

Kirarakim 2011-11-04 14:01

I can't stay away from spoilers. But hey only one more ep will be spoiled. The final novel that corresponds to the last 6 eps won't be out until after the anime is finished.