AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   FarCry (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=10618)

SwiftStar 2004-03-31 13:07

FarCry

Just a public service announcement. If you like shooters and have a good to high end gaming pc then you owe it to yourself to get this game. This is the best shooter I have played in a long time. Gameplay is superb with smart enemies and multiple ways of dispatching the lot of them. Visually speaking, it will take a lot to surpass the beauty and environmental effects of this game. You gotta get this.

Muir Woods 2004-04-09 00:29

Aww...I was going to create a new thread on Farcry, but you got it first...heh. Anyways, I just bought this game today at Electronic Boutique for $49.99 (Canadian), $57.24 after taxes (damn 14.5% tax). Holy Macaroni :eek: ! There's 5! Count 'em, 5 CDs to install Farcry! 1 Play/installation CD, 4 Installation CDs. I think it's about time they put games on DVD's instead eh? Like what Computer Gaming World Magazine did a few months ago. The game takes up a whoppin' 3.2 gigabytes on my harddisk.

OK, on to the game itself. I spend about 2 hours on it and I must say, the graphics are incredible, even at medium settings which I run in. AI intelligent enough to sneak up behind me and popped few caps into my back. And realistic (enough) weapon control. I have a few gripes though, the voice acting is a bit cheesy, so's the scripts. Aside from the mammoth system requirements to run at high settings, there's no other gripes to speak. At least, from 2 hours of experience of the game. I will post more as I progress through it. So far I'm very happy with it, until Half-Life 2, or Doom 3 comes along :heh: . Anyone else has anything to say to this wonder (or blunder) of a game?

Cz 2004-04-09 02:23

This is the first game I've ever played that makes my computer lag. When you get night vision and turn it on, sometimes it lags on my Pentium 4 2.5 GHz computer with 512 MB RAM and a Geforce4 Ti4200 128 MB. :twitch:

With autodetect on, the game sets my graphics settings to "low" for everything graphics-related. I must say that the gameplay is pretty good. I've already finished the game once and the maps are huge. It's a nice game with really high system requirements. :p

Iori Branford 2004-04-09 09:04

What's it like on lowest settings? Will it still lag a 2.08 GHz with 256MB RAM and a Radeon 9600SE?

Muir Woods 2004-04-09 13:35

Yeah, autodetect put everything on low settings. But I thought, hell no, my computer's better than that, so I put some settings to medium (eg. Texture qualities, environmental qualities), and my computer still managed it. However, I did experience some choppiness when there's a lot action going on, and when I'm blistering down the island in my buggy. But it seems that both your computers are much better than mine, with faster CPU and better Graphic Card. You should have no problem medium settings at least, maybe a few on high. But the best way to find out is just manually adjust the settings yourselves until you find the best quality you computer can handle with reasonable frame rates.

This forum isn't exactly bustling, try here, where I usually frequent. There's a bunch of Farcry posts, which may answer some of your questions, from "stuttering solutions" to "Far Cry funny pics" (you should really check this out, :) ). Oh, there's already a patch out.

Samurai_Yojimbo 2004-04-09 15:14

Farcry owns me wif its 1337 singleplayer non linear madness and its ownage multiplayer mayhem. :) BUY IT!!!

SwiftStar 2004-04-12 15:24

The Autodetect seems to err on the side of caution. I have a P4, 512DDr, and a 9800 Radeon Pro and it set my textures to medium. I can run on high with a stutter here and there, usually only on the first shot after a level load. So tinker with you settings to get what you want. I suggest raising the environmental effects as high as they can go. Who would have thought that having birds, fish and bugs in a shooter could make a difference as far as immersion goes.

Don Eunuch 2004-05-16 12:50

Good engine but game play isn't that unique if you play a lot of FPS.

SPINAL-BRAIN 2004-05-16 13:21

Anyone playing it online? Let me know.

silentpixel 2004-05-16 13:45

This game is intense. I love it. The bots are so smart its scary at times. Especially in that mission where its night time.

Serendipity 2004-05-20 08:19

I didn't mind this game at all actually, though I still maintain that Battlefield 1942 is better...

Farcry seems to have a good story line, but those mutants are a bit out of this world.. but I nearly shat myself when they appeared out of nowhere and leapt at me.... :eek:

jonli 2004-05-20 10:02

MUTANTS?! WHAT?!

I just bought this game...and i just spend lots of money to upgrade my PC to be able to play this baby on highest settings. It is really fun so far...and the whole game (i havent fixed my sound card so i duno anything about the story) seemed quite normal to me.....mutants? You mean this game is another one of those monster games like half-life?

PS: My computer would suddenly turn off by itself if i play Farcry for too long...anyone know what is going on?

SwiftStar 2004-05-20 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sexy-no-Jutsu
I didn't mind this game at all actually, though I still maintain that Battlefield 1942 is better...

Farcry seems to have a good story line, but those mutants are a bit out of this world.. but I nearly shat myself when they appeared out of nowhere and leapt at me.... :eek:

Yeah, some scary stuff. They are very intimidating. They rush you hard, you have to backpedal like crazy and dont let them touch you. They do serious damage too.

silentpixel 2004-05-20 11:09

Spoiler:

Cz 2004-05-20 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentpixel
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hunterx 2004-05-20 13:03

this game rocks. I played the demo and ordered it the same day. After playing farcry I don't think I'll play bf1942 (or desert combat) anymore. farcry makes it look like ping pong on a black & white monitor:)

silentpixel 2004-05-20 14:22

lets just say i hate the S.W.A.T team in the facility after the volcano

Cz 2004-05-20 14:33

silentpixel:
Spoiler:

Serendipity 2004-05-21 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonli
MUTANTS?! WHAT?!

I just bought this game...and i just spend lots of money to upgrade my PC to be able to play this baby on highest settings. It is really fun so far...and the whole game (i havent fixed my sound card so i duno anything about the story) seemed quite normal to me.....mutants? You mean this game is another one of those monster games like half-life?

PS: My computer would suddenly turn off by itself if i play Farcry for too long...anyone know what is going on?

Oops, hope I didn't spoil it for you...

I am not sure, but it's probably just a glitch, apparently there's not a hell of a lot you can do about the game turning itself off..
It could also be to do with memory and the speed that your machine runs at??
The graphics might be a bit too much for it to handle...I dunno...

silentpixel 2004-05-23 12:40

ah what a great game. just beat it. Now to play on challenge mode or realistic :ekk: