AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dorohedoro!! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=85476)

Xion Valkyrie 2009-08-23 04:41

Dorohedoro!!

Just checked out this manga and read volumes 1-12. Searched and didn't find a topic so I'm starting one.

The description on mangatraders gives a good idea of the basic setting, but really doesn't clue you in on how crazy it is. The style reminds me a lot of Berserk, with a lot of dark humor thrown in. Of course, bloody violent too.

Anyways, for those peeps that have been reading this, here on some thoughts and speculations on the mystery behind the main character's identity and related stuff. These contain spoilers up to Vol 12, so be warned.

Spoiler:

Tyrone Biggums 2009-09-25 13:06

I've just started reading this today, got through about 20 chapters. I'll read more later, but I love it. Good stuff and I gotta say I didn't expect it to be this good.

Reminds me of Berserk, Zetman or Biomega...the fighting anyways and the art.

Anyone know when Vol 13 is out?

Fevvers 2009-09-25 19:48

Dark setting? Pfft! This manga is weird and HILARIOUS. Heck, I wouldn't mind just reading this purely for the antics of En's group (Ebisu, you moe, little girl you!).

stpehen 2009-09-26 00:26

Great series. Absolutely hilarious. I wouldn't mind seeing the author do a straight-up comedy next.

SquirrelLuvsPnut 2009-09-30 06:03

I just started reading this and one thing that really impressed me was the chapter in which Kaiman was about to swallow Ebisu. It shocked him that the magic user was a girl, but her swallowed her anyway. In almost every manga I've read, when ever a main character discovered a masked character is a girl, they stop fighting. This is the first time, I've ever seen this "rule" broken, which also tells me that this manga follows no rules.

Gooral 2011-09-22 10:58

16th volume of Dorohedoro will be out on October 28th !!! Can't wait to read it. Certain someone has pre-ordered special edition of it so I'll probably be able to read it in this year.

ShiroiRyu 2011-09-22 13:09

OH FUCK YEAH !
Finally after a year ? Hope Gantz will do the translation fastly.
And remember "It's Dorohedoro !"

Xion Valkyrie 2011-09-22 22:12

Awesome.

It looks like we're close to a resolution though.

Gooral 2012-01-08 16:10

Scanlation of 16th volume has been released by GWR and all I can say is that it was better than I expected and I expected a perfect volume. It was beyond perfect. Not only we go usual amount of chapters but also a massive amount of great omakes. There is also fanservice here (mainly Nikaido), plot is as intriguing as ever and characters are exquisite. Why this manga is more popular is beyond me.

But there is also bad news. Please read this and help if you can:

http://t.imgbox.com/aasaotVB.jpg

Xion Valkyrie 2012-01-08 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooral (Post 3938758)
Scanlation of 16th volume has been released by GWR and all I can say is that it was better than I expected and I expected a perfect volume. It was beyond perfect. Not only we go usual amount of chapters but also a massive amount of great omakes. There is also fanservice here (mainly Nikaido), plot is as intriguing as ever and characters are exquisite. Why this manga is more popular is beyond me.

Because the art is weird, does't have moe elements, and requires a lot of thinking/re-reading to figure out what's going on.

Man, it seems like mangafox is killing all the scanlators. Maybe they should try putting their stuff on Batoto (it seems a lot of scanlators support that online reader for some reason).

frubam 2012-01-08 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie (Post 3938821)
Because the art is weird, does't have moe elements, and requires a lot of thinking/re-reading to figure out what's going on.

I'll admit, I wasn't too sold on the premise as I started to read it because of those reasons, but after I read the 2nd vol, and Kaiman and Nikaido fought against Shin and Noi, I was hooked enough to continue reading it. I still don't really know what's going on(I read 14 vols in one straight shot), but I think how the magic is used is a big part of why I kept reading(well, and to see Kaiman + Nikaido =03). Like what En said to Kaiman in one of the later volumes, a magic might seem silly or stupid, but how its used can be the difference btw crappy magic and superior magic. Still, that's not enough for the moe crowd though =02.
Quote:

...(it seems a lot of scanlators support that online reader for some reason).
It's because the creator of that site, who is also a scanlator, made it so that some/all the revenue gained through the ads are given back to the scanlation groups. This would allow the scan groups to get more stuff, thus benefiting everyone.

Gooral 2012-01-09 02:33

Soon enough we might only get moe/ecchi/shounen stuff from scanlators, so much of it that even most fanatics of these genres will start throwing up with it. With GWR out of the picture we will lose one of the few groups which doesn't pick up projects based on popularity (or "moeness/ecchiness level) but those which seem interesting but no one is willing to scanlate it. Desert Punk and Dorohedoro are both the best manga I've ever read (in the same league as Monster, 20th CB or Vinland Saga for example) and they have tons of such awesome projects. It was thanks to them we got Shingeki no Kyoujin as early as we did, otherwise some group would pick this project about the time the second group started scanlating (this group sucks BTW) once it became very popular.

Soconfused 2012-01-17 21:58

I love finding amazing manga on a whim. Knocked out the first 12 volumes in the last few days, absolutely love it. The art style, the characters, the comedy, all fantastic. This has jumped into my top 10 of all time in this short amount of time, too good.

though it always bums me out when I find a good series, come to animesuki and it doesn't even have a full page of comments. Has happened more time than I would like. :(

Poetic Justice 2012-11-02 20:05

Just finished reading it a few days ago. It really should have ended earlier, It's dragged on way too long after the lizard head was cut off. I feel there's not much of the characters left and yet its being dragged on anyway.

Poetic Justice 2013-05-19 12:12

It looks like were finally reaching some sort of conclusion and most of the questions in the series have been answered. Still feel like it's dragging on with new developments which aren't really adding anything to the overall story.

Drkz 2013-08-20 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooral (Post 3938758)

Oh that explains it. Wonder why they didn't release anything in awhile. Mangareaders make it easy. You just go to one site instead of visiting multiple sites. People love simplicity after all. The same could be said about those anime streaming sites that spawn. A few of the popular ones probably net a lot of ad revenue just from the amount of people that visit their site.

Dorodoro isn't mainstream. Its weird, bloody and gorey, but it isn't like gantz strange. Dorodoro is still good. Its unique? But it also makes the fanbase pretty small. Most of all you ask more questions than you get answers.

http://i.imgur.com/6YcHUr6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OF9eaii.jpg

It'd probably also make a good fighting game.

Poetic Justice 2013-09-15 16:49

Spoiler for 118:

Drkz 2013-09-15 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetic Justice (Post 4832866)
Spoiler for 118:

Aww really? Well that sucks :(. Hopefully the author makes another awesome series!

Drkz 2013-09-17 12:54

What the heck..? Was someone carrying Kaiman's dead head into the convenience store?

Poetic Justice 2013-09-17 21:21

I have a feeling future Nikaido did it.