AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Will HDTV Protection affect fansubbing? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=6465)

kabuto_kun 2004-02-01 21:03

Please, HELP THE ANIME!!!

Hello, I'd registered this forum because I have to tell you one important think.
Please, could somebody translate this page into english?
link removed
It's an spanish fansub page.
We need a lot of people to participate in that project.

//Ataque distribuido contra AVHDD (HDTV)\\

-A partir de Abril del 2004, todas las emisiones de la television digital japonesa de alta definicion (HDTV) estaran protegidas para evitar la copia de sus programas. Hasta ahora la mayoria de las series nuevas de anime que se subtitulan son capturadas por los japoneses de la HDTV y luego compartidas por internet. Para hacerlo se usan pequeños aparatos similares en apariencia a un video o dvd pequeño que contienen un disco duro y el equipo electronico necesario para enchufarlos a la tele.
El problema esta en ese chip grande en el que pone AVHDD, hasta ahora las televisiones emitian sin activar el sistema anti copia pero a partir de abril de este año todos los canales van a activarlo. Lo que hace la proteccion de copia es encriptar el video de forma que solamente reproductores con ese chip pueda verlo y no permiten copiar los videos a otros equipos. Esto representa un enorme problema para la scene del anime ya que se pondra muy complicado conseguir raws (videos sin subtitulos con los que trabajan los fansubs) de la misma calidad y con la misma rapidez que se hace actualmente.

Para evitar esto se ha creado en japon un proyecto de computacion distribuida muy similar en la base al SETI@ o a los programas para ayudar en la investigacion contra el cancer y cosas asi. La pagina principal del proyecto se puede encontrar en link removed (esta en japones)

El proyecto es un ataque con fuerza bruta contra la clave que encripta los videos, un pequeño programa se conecta con la pagina del proyecto, descarga un pequeño archivo (bloque) , lo procesa y envia los datos de vuelta al servidor. Actualmente se han procesado mas 2 millones de bloques (el 14% del total)

Para procesar los bloques solo hay que ejecutar un pequeño programa que utiliza los recursos disponibles del ordenador. Al ejecutar el programa notareis como consume el 100% del procesador pero lo hace en modo Idle usando unicamente los recursos libres por lo que no causa ningun problema ni lo ralentiza.

Se ha creado un grupo llamado Frozen-Layer para juntar nuestros bloques procesados y poder ver estadisticas conjuntas.

(I recommend to create a new group)

PLEASE, HELP THE ANIME!

ThankU for reading this post.

Tzurial 2004-02-01 21:40

ooh I dont know spanish but this is what I got from it before my head exploded.

Japanese raws are copied from hdtv by some machine stuff. And theres a chip. And I get a little confused. And In april all the channels are going to activate the anti system copy so the videos wont be able to be copied to the machine stuff. Making it very complicated to obtain japanese raws of the same quality or speed that theyre made at the moment.

And then theres stuff about a project to attack with brute force and then I stopped so Im guessing we stop this by..assasinations?

EDIT: ahh! you posted this twice and someone already translated it in the other one! I hate you! -sob-

Breogan 2004-02-01 21:48

Pasting the translation here too since it seems this was crossposted from the Fansub forum and it was closed there. It would be something like this:

Quote:

Distributed attack against AVHDD (HDTV)\\

- From April 2004, all the japanese HDTV broadcasts will be protected to avoid the copy of its contents. Until now most of the new fansubbed anime series were captured by japanese people from HDTV and then shared over Internet. To do this they use devices similar to a VCR or DVD, with a Hard Drive and hardware to connect them to a TV. The problem comes from a chip called AVHDD. Until now all the channels were broadcasted without enabling the anti-copy system but in April every channel is going to activate it. This copy protection encrypts the TV data, so only the receivers with this chip can decode it and they won't allow to copy the data to another devices.

This poses a big problem for the anime fansub scene, since it will make harder to find high quality raws (the original video without subtitles which fansubs use) in a timely manner.

To avoid this, a distributed computing project similar to SETI@Home has been created in Japan. This project's web page (in japanese) can be found at link removed

The project is a brute force attack against the key used to encrypt the TV signal. A small program connects with the project's server, downloads a small data file (chunk or block), processes it and sends the data back to the server. Currently over 2 million blocks have been processed (about 14% of the total).

To process the blocks you only need the small program that will use the free resources from your computer, so it won't slow it down.

A group called Frozen-Layer has been created to put together our processed blocks and check the joint process stats.
On a side note, Frozen-Layer is the equivalent of AnimeSuki for the spanish fansub community.

RichMan 2004-02-01 21:59

That sucks, but there will always be people who will find away around it. So i'm not concerned.

Thelastguardian 2004-02-01 22:07

ok I guess I will get steamroll by saying this but...wouldnt this illegal? :D (Ok not in US I guess)

Wow 6 weeks already and they only cracked 14.1%, looks like they wont make it in time to finish the cracking before April (Unless of course someone got access to a supercomputer with teraflops of processing power in univ). That would mean all the anime fans would get cut off from anime for at least a few months.

Joe 2004-02-01 23:05

That's right, it's not illegal in the US, nor it is in Spain ;)

It was 11% just before Frozen-Layer team joined, and two days before, it was 14%, so we hope to get it before April.

We where wondering at frozen layer forums why american fansubs weren't collaborating in the desencryptation of AVHDD, as you also get raws from japan. Some people said you didn't know about the proyect, and some guessed you wasn't concerned about it.

Well, you already know, let's see if you are concerned.

I hope you are ;)

Greets.

testing123 2004-02-02 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe
That's right, it's not illegal in the US, nor it is in Spain

It is most especially illegal in the U.S., under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Circumventing any technological control against copying or access can be punished by up to $500,000 in fines and 5 years in prison. If you are in the U.S., at least be aware of the relevant laws before trying this out at home.

Thelastguardian 2004-02-02 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by testing123
It is most especially illegal in the U.S., under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Circumventing any technological control against copying or access can be punished by up to $500,000 in fines and 5 years in prison. If you are in the U.S., at least be aware of the relevant laws before trying this out at home.

Notice the DVD-John is still here, not in jail yet (The guy who cracked the CCS scheme in DVD).

edit: 2 and a half hour is pass and the process advanced by 0.15 %...(from 14.10-14.25)

edit: ops its DVD-Jon. But he was getting sue by US companies.

testing123 2004-02-02 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Notice the DVD-John is still here, not in jail yet (The guy who cracked the CCS scheme in DVD).

DVD-Jon (not "John") lives in Norway, not the U.S.

Joe 2004-02-02 00:45

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right, my fault for not being aware of laws in the USA.

Fortunately, i'm not in the USA. :D

Anyway, I hope US fansubs help in the desencryptation of AVHDD, so we can continue to get high quality raws.

Edit: (((100%-14.25%)/0.15%)*2.5 hours)/24 (hours/day)=59.5 days.......Just on time ;)

let's hope the process speeds up a bit.

testing123 2004-02-02 00:55

Quote:

edit: ops its DVD-Jon. But he was getting sue by US companies.

Please don't put your replies as edits in your posts. It makes it extremely hard to follow the discussion.

DVD-Jon was prosecuted under Norwegian laws. Even if the complaints were originally issued by U.S. companies, he was not extradited to the U.S., and U.S. laws do not apply on Norwegian soil. The DMCA laws have nothing to do with the DVD-Jon case at all, just like how the U.S. laws about driving on the right side of the road have nothing to do with the traffic in England.

If DVD-Jon traveled to the U.S., and was arrested there, then it would be a different story (just like the Skylarov case).

Thelastguardian 2004-02-02 00:59

Quote:

Please don't put your replies as edits in your posts. It makes it extremely hard to follow the discussion.

DVD-Jon was prosecuted under Norwegian laws. Even if the complaints were originally issued by U.S. companies, he was not extradited to the U.S., and U.S. laws do not apply on Norwegian soil. The DMCA laws have nothing to do with the DVD-Jon case at all, just like how the U.S. laws about driving on the right side of the road have nothing to do with the traffic in England.

If DVD-Jon traveled to the U.S., and was arrested there, then it would be a different story (just like the Skylarov case).

Sorry about the edit post, I didnt feel it was important enough to double post.

This situation is what made the case so interesting. As the DMCA covers quite a board definition. It doesnt say US company cant sue a person who lives in another country. IMHO the US companies could try to pull a Kazza on him :| (but of course that didnt work). So I guess you are right after all ;) .

Tabiree 2004-02-02 02:39

Quote:

Sorry about the edit post, I didnt feel it was important enough to double post.

This situation is what made the case so interesting. As the DMCA covers quite a board definition. It doesnt say US company cant sue a person who lives in another country. IMHO the US companies could try to pull a Kazza on him :| (but of course that didnt work). So I guess you are right after all ;) .

Of course though, the international copyright holders can sue him, ala the Japanese companies.

Christ, people, if a company is putting up anti-copying measures on their stuff, it's pretty obvious THAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO FANSUB IT

Take a fucking hint! It doesn't matter fi you can't afford it, do it for fun, balh blah BLAH blah blah, it's set in stone that they DO NOT WANT YOU TO DO THIS.

Could a mod PLEASE close this topic down?

Sway: stay cool.

Thelastguardian 2004-02-02 03:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabiree
Of course though, the international copyright holders can sue him, ala the Japanese companies.

Christ, people, if a company is putting up anti-copying measures on their stuff, it's pretty obvious THAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO FANSUB IT

Take a fucking hint! It doesn't matter fi you can't afford it, do it for fun, balh blah BLAH blah blah, it's set in stone that they DO NOT WANT YOU TO DO THIS.

Could a mod PLEASE close this topic down?

You know what, I think the fansubbers should be proud of themselves. Think about it, according to you the boardcasters and japanese boardcast commision encypt the whole tv boardcast system just to stop the fansubbers from copying and subbing their work!! This cost at least tens of billions of yens. I never knew fansubbers have much influence in the wide wide world of Japanese society?! :D

Tabiree 2004-02-02 06:27

Quote:

You know what, I think the fansubbers should be proud of themselves. Think about it, according to you the boardcasters and japanese boardcast commision encypt the whole tv boardcast system just to stop the fansubbers from copying and subbing their work!! This cost at least tens of billions of yens. I never knew fansubbers have much influence in the wide wide world of Japanese society?! :D

oh dear oh dear oh dear...

It's anti piracy things. Obviously, they're factoring fansubs into those anti-piracy measures.

Yahoo.

Breogan 2004-02-02 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabiree
oh dear oh dear oh dear...
It's anti piracy things. Obviously, they're factoring fansubs into those anti-piracy measures.
Yahoo.

Actually, from what I understood, this has nothing to do with fansubs. The reason behind the anti-copy protection, it's to avoid the episode P2P swapping between japanese people since they are aired in PPV or in channels that require a subscription fee. They could care less about what people outside Japan do.

ElvenPath 2004-02-02 08:06

4. No Spamming
You are not allowed to post the URL and/or name of any website which you are in any way affiliated with to new threads or as replies to threads where mentioning that URL is not relevant and/or the only reason for posting seems to be to advertise the site or product. Offering products for sale or trade is also not allowed and considered spamming. This rule does not apply to signatures. If you are not sure, please ask first by contacting the one of the Administrators or Moderators.

Spamming to recruit people for piracy purposes. The thread will be recycled since he also raised an important issue.

New topic: Will HDTV Protection affect fansubbing?

bluemist 2004-02-02 08:22

I don't want to look at this in the anti-piracy point of view, because no matter what happens (even if all TV signals will have some sort of security system), there will always be fansubs (as long as anime fans want it).

I want to look at this in 'effect'. What I meant is, if we can't get anymore anime raws through HDTV, will it really be different if we get it through normal TV?

Anyone if they may please give me a quality example of how High-Quality HDTV can get and how High-Quality normal analog TV can get, in terms of fansubs.

cf18 2004-02-02 09:24

It should have any effect. As long as there are ways to convert the signal down to NTSC, capture is easy, and anyone who actually pay for the channel should be allowed to timeshift using VCR.

In the worst case you just have to wait for the DVD-rip.

Kyuven 2004-02-02 13:46

there's always a way around it
any code can be cracked given tme