AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Animes that actually 'End' (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=30173)

Daniel E. 2006-03-20 18:28

Animes that actually 'End'

Been watching a few shows this last couple of months and I just realized that all of them have one thing in common: not even one of them actually ends!.

They all leave some loose ends here and there, they all leave a "window open" for a possible second season, some OVA's, movies or whatever thing the producers can think of.

And so I ask, Can you people tell me the names of some animes that actually 'End'?

Here are some of the shows I have watched that, IMHO, didn't have a final conclusion:

Spoiler:

There are many more, but this are the ones I can think at the moment. I am pretty open minded when it comes to anime genres, so I'll try to watch anything you guys can mention here. :D

Thanks in advance!

wingdarkness 2006-03-20 18:40

Well my friend unfortunatley for us mostly anime-only watchers there's something that lingers in the shadows and prevents us from ever getting the true finality and closure we desire...This all-knowing, all-seeing device is called:

Spoiler:

As long as it exists many animes will end the way you have described so that it can be continued in that form...In all honesty in many cases the anime is secondary to this, so the true-endings will alot of times end there...and otaku's will spend their hard earned parmesan cheese buying each chapter...

So, hmm DBGT lol and Yu yu hakusho seem to end....eventually...Yugioh too i guess xD...not many i can think of, because it's not a very big list...

BTW thanx for killing Gunsliger girl for me (on ep 8) -_-;; j/k

jedinat 2006-03-20 18:41

hmm... Let me list the one's that I can remember the ending.

Angelic Layer
Cowboy Bebop
Figure 17
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Furi Kuri
Gungrave
Gunparade March
Haibane Renmei
Juuni Kokuki (really ends about 5 episodes before the "end")
Kaleido Star
Midori no Hibi
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Noir
Onegai Teacher
Princess Tutu
R.O.D -THE TV-
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Trigun
Uchuu no Stellvia
Vision of Escaflowne

Those all have definite "endings". Not necessarily happy ones, though.

wingdarkness 2006-03-20 18:53

Are you kidding me? OK, maybe people interpret stuff differently...

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (AH...If a 1 minute voice-over is considered an ending)

Cowboy Bebop (It ends, but so much left unresolved...definatley not full closure)

Trigun (The ending is pretty much the beginning of a new journey)

R.O.D -THE TV (Huh?!?)

Vision of Escaflowne (Can't really remember since i saw it like 7 years ago, but it had a follow up movie, so how could it have ended?)

I ain't seen the rest of your list (accept FLCL and half of Noir) so i plead insanity...

Soluzar 2006-03-20 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Vision of Escaflowne (Can't really remember since i saw it like 7 years ago, but it had a follow up movie, so how could it have ended?)

The movie is not a follow-up, but is instead an Alternate Universe. It starts once more from the beginning, rather than from the ending of the TV series.

Daniel E. 2006-03-20 19:11

Quote:

I think I can accept a short ending like that. Better have a short ending that no ending at all, right!?

Oh and I am really sorry about Gunsingler Girl. Guess we can always wait for a sequel. :heh:

Thanks for the rest of your suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedinat
hmm... Let me list the one's that I can remember the ending.

From the ones you mention: Kaleido Star, Midori no Hibi and Haibane Renmei
interest me the most. I'll be sure to check them out.

Thanks. :D

jedinat 2006-03-20 19:26

I think we do interpret things differently. An ending that leaves you feeling like it's over is what I consider a finished anime. I'd considered an anime like Berserk to be one without a proper ending.

Quote:

Spoiler:

Quote:

Cowboy Bebop (It ends, but so much left unresolved...definatley not full closure)

Spoiler:

Quote:

Trigun (The ending is pretty much the beginning of a new journey)

Spoiler:

Quote:

R.O.D -THE TV (Huh?!?)

The ending to this one Ill admit is a little fuzzy in my memory, but I'm almost certain everything is cleared up in the end.

Quote:

The movie is nothing but a summary of the series I believe.

Proto 2006-03-20 19:29

Quote:

Juuni Kokuki (really ends about 5 episodes before the "end")
... for real? Well, since the Taiki arc was left halfway I cannot help but disagree with you here (In fact in the novels the next book describes an arc where the Youko and Taiki stories start to interwin)

Quote:

Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Well... from the game story what you could have rather than a continuation is a clarification season for the sake of describing the 2/3 of the story that were chopped out in the game->anime transition

Quote:

Uchuu no Stellvia
Ironically, there were plans for a 2nd season here, but they were cancelled. The director gave no further details other than it was impossible now (along with any possibility of a Nadesico 2nd season)

Quote:

Onegai Teacher
Well.... this one is kind of an irony for me. Indeed the main story is over but it's a good example of how you can recycle the previous series characters for the new one :D

I agree with most of your other choices though.... (... Figure 17... *sobs*)

In general, any series where the whole cast is killed by the end of the series can count as a definite end (then again you can always have spin offs and precuels

Spoiler for for series where everyone goes kapoot by the end:

Soluzar 2006-03-20 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedinat
No need to be insulting. Maybe I'm more qualified to judge an anime's ending considering you haven't even seen most of those... and that is but a fraction of the anime I've watched.

How was that insulting? I think you misunderstood.

Maceart 2006-03-20 19:37

So far the best ending I've remembered in recent times is the ending to PlanetES.

Either that, or the ending to Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar.

jedinat 2006-03-20 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoMan
... for real? Well, since the Taiki arc was left halfway I cannot help but disagree with you here (In fact in the novels the next book describes an arc where the Youko and Taiki stories start to interwin)

Yeah... that is true. But he was a secondary character. (and admittedly I recently rewatched the series, skipping all the sidearcs, so I'd forgotten about that)

jedinat 2006-03-20 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soluzar
How was that insulting? I think you misunderstood.

Yeah, probably did. I guess the insanity was refering to himself... didn't really get that comment.

Proto 2006-03-20 19:42

Quote:

Yeah... that is true. But he was a secondary character. (and admittedly I recently rewatched the series, skipping all the sidearcs, so I'd forgotten about that)
I wouldn't call Taiki a secondary character, specially when more than 1/3 of the novels and a good deal of the series is entirely dedicated to him (he is more of an alternate protagonist :p)... in fact the novels that follow dedicate more and more to his story (in case you haven't read them, the next few novels have been/are being translated over www.otyaku.com)

Daniel E. 2006-03-20 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maceart
So far the best ending I've remembered in recent times is the ending to PlanetES.

What a coincidence for this title to be mentioned here. This anime is a part of my ever growing gonna watch soon list. :D

Mr.Hawq 2006-03-20 19:47

Full ending, that a never a second season will come for the anime are

Gungrave-extremely fitting closure, and the end, end's it all

Gilgamesh-The show also has an ending that ends it all, but don't know if you will be able to like the ending.

Basilisk- Another ending that ends it all, and never will you see the same characters again.

gundam 08 ms team- Very good and complete ending in my opinion

Blue gender- ending is a little rushed, but I enjoyed the ending alot, and it was complete.

X tv

Rahxephon-Has a very good, and fitting ending, that I really enjoyed watching.

info can be found at www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia

Don't know if you are looking for an ending, where they will never have a second season for it, or an just a good happy ending. The recommendations I have given you have both of them, except some don't got the "happy ending," You still can enjoy the show.

Seyluun 2006-03-20 19:48

Basilisk. You can't really have a more definite ending.

jedinat 2006-03-20 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maceart

Geh, that was an awful ending. There was absolutely no reason for such a cheerful kiddy show to go the depressing route in the end.

jedinat 2006-03-20 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoMan
I wouldn't call Taiki a secondary character, specially when more than 1/3 of the novels and a good deal of the series is entirely dedicated to him (he is more of an alternate protagonist :p)... in fact the novels that follow dedicate more and more to his story (in case you haven't read them, the next few novels have been/are being translated over www.otyaku.com)

Never read the novels... weren't there only a few episodes dedicated to him in the anime? Like 4-5 maybe?

Proto 2006-03-20 19:53

Other type of series that tend to have definite ending are the so called "mind fuckers" like Serial Experiments Lain or Boogiepop Phantom (my guess is that by the end of the series the animators have been arrested because of drug overdosing, so they don't have the time anymore :p)

Gigantic series also tend to have more or less definite ending (Legend of the Galactic Heroes etc.)... unless the serie's mangaka has a name that remotely resembles Rumiko (Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2), or if it has become part of japanese history books (Doraemon).

Which could lead to another interesting thread in fact...

Quote:

Never read the novels... weren't there only a few episodes dedicated to him in the anime? Like 4-5 maybe?
Hmm... I remember them being more (if you count Taiki + his human counterpart stories together). Then again I could be wrong

Daniel E. 2006-03-20 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
Don't know if you are looking for an ending, where they will never have a second season for it, or an just a good happy ending. The recommendations I have given you have both of them, except some don't got the "happy ending," You still can enjoy the show.

Works either way in my case, as long as it actually ends, it can be a happy or a sad/evil conclusion. (though sad/evil ones are a bonus :heh: )

Thanks for the reply (you too Seyluun and ProtoMan)