AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Denno Coil (TV Series!) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=41890)

monir 2007-01-19 21:58

Denno Coil (TV Series!)

http://content.imagesocket.com/thumbs/1055527a.jpg

Production Company: Madhouse, Bandai, NHK

Genre: Fantasy

Expected Release Date: Spring 2007

This title was announced as a movie project, but now the official site is reporting that it is going to be a TV series. Wao was making a lot of noise regarding this title here and there... :heh: ...so, after a little searching I find out Madhouse is involved. Naturally, I'm interested. Iso Mitsuo is the director, and the original creator for this title. Honda Takeshi will be the character designer. The cast info as follows:

Yasako: Tomiko Orikasa (also known as Orikasa Fumiko)
Isako: Noriko Kuwajima
Kyoko: Akiko Yajima
Haraken: Paku Romi
Fumie: Sachiko Kojima
Daichi: Rie Saito
Mega-baa: Reiko Suzuki
Oba-chan: Junko Noda
Akira: Yumiko Kobayashi
Denpa: Kikumi Umeda
Gachagiri: Mayumi Yamaguchi
Namecchi: Yusuke Numata

The synopsis in the following is stolen from animenfo..
It is the year 202x in the mysterious city of Daikoku.

Kokonogi Yasako is a 6th grader in elementary school. The Kokonogi family, which includes Yasako, her little sister, and their parents, are a typical family. They move to Daikoku where Yasako's grandmother lives. It is a historic city with many shrines and temples. Daikoku is also a special political district that has the latest computer facilities.
I found the staff info from ANN who are still listing the title as a movie, so feel free to correct me if there is change in staff since this is going to be adapted as a TV series. Also, there is no word yet exactly when this show will start airing. Looking forward to it.

edit: Apparently the series is scheduled to air in the spring season, and the staff info is also accurate! Thanks Wao!

edit 2: Updated VA cast info, thanks to Sonhex!

7Th 2007-01-19 22:06

In before wao.

Also, for everyone wanting to read some juicy information on Denno Coil, check out the AniTop animation blog. It really makes you excited for this.

A sakuga probably airing in national TV? I'm so there...

wao 2007-01-19 23:33

Oh nos! In before me! Not like it matters ultimately of course. :) (at least I feel like I have more of a life now!.... wait, who am I kidding?)

Well okay, I guess I was lazy to make a thread despite all my blathering about it... precisely because there isn't very much available on it (compared to Seirei no Moribito where at least I had something more concrete to talk about it withotu EVERY post being full of my speculations and expectations).

And for the benefit of people who have not heard of the AniPages blog, then I'll link it once and once only here. ttp://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php?cat=17 I figure that for a lot of people who are interested in thsi show in the first place, you'll find what you want on those pages.

For everyone else, I suggest you read up about Mitsuo Iso, the director and creator of this anime there. If you were the type of person who absolutely loved how different RahXephon 15 was from teh rest of the show, then please do check out the first episode of this show.

Meanwhile, yes! A sakuga anime on national TV - satellite but still, no shit man! What a dream come true.

By the way monir it's slated for Spring and it's definitely TV, on NHK-BS I think. ANN's just slow. Maybe I'll go bother them with an error report.

I wonder if the lack of many promotional images for this show is precisely because they don't want there to be any pre-release hype except just enough to interest certain people? So that the viewers come in without too many preexpectations and will be able to genuinely enjoy the story rather than second-guess every plot event, perhaps.

Quajafrie 2007-01-20 02:34

14 years. That's enough to make everyone watch at least the first episode, I guess. And even though it's strange that the information about it is so limited, it might be better that way.

Spring 2007 is going to be seriously hot. Denno Coil, Bokurano, Sei0, Romeo x Juliet...

Sonhex 2007-01-20 09:00

Well wao's inspiring post has got me very interested about this; especially with 14 in the making and the godly talent involved. However it was the following image that fascinates me:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4...il017zc.th.jpg

How's that for intriguing artwork? It raises all kinds of questions about the idiosyncracy of what it depicts.

Nightengale 2007-01-20 19:37

14 years. As much as that sounds like it promises to be an epic project, I sure do hope it's not years spent like how Mamoru Nagano handles his works. At least this won't suffer from any over-inflated hype like Steamboy.

I think the cast involved and the artworks alone are a strong indication that for all DC's worth, it's presentation both visually and non-visually will be the make-or-break of this.

wao 2007-01-21 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonhex (Post 806591)
Well wao's inspiring post has got me very interested about this; especially with 14 in the making and the godly talent involved. However it was the following image that fascinates me:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4...il017zc.th.jpg

How's that for intriguing artwork? It raises all kinds of questions about the idiosyncracy of what it depicts.

Yes, it's precisely that sort of image that I really like and which also leads me to hope that this series will continue on in the same vein... and be equally powerful visually-speaking.

All we've got to do now is wait. I suppose the lack of hype on this goes to show that the producers/creators believe it can do well without having their own generated hype - i.e. it can stand on its own feet. I sure hope so too.

Sonhex 2007-01-24 11:58

Coil's got a nice new website overhaul ~ with characters, story and cast info and NHK also have a page for it.

Wow, I love those character designs and I'm picking up some Miyazaki vibes from them (Kyoko reminds me of Mai from Totoro for example). I think it's the clean lines and the simple shapes of their faces that add tons of character.

Great casting too ~ Orikasa Fumiko (Hikari in Haibane Renmei) as Yuko Kokogi, Yajima Akiko (Pino from Ergo Proxy, Kuu from Haibane Renmei) as Kyoko, Kojima Sachiko (Alice from Tweeny Witches) as Humie, the awesome Junko Noda (Dio from Last Exile, Rekki from Haibane Renmei) amongst others. Distinctive seiyuus, many of which specialize in realistic kid's voices. I'm also quite excited to see three seiyuus from Haibane Renmei reunited for this show.

From the artwork and the subtitle (Coil A Circle Of Children) I'm guessing this will be a kid's show, a sophisticated one though...

7Th 2007-01-24 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonhex (Post 810347)
Coil's got a nice new website overhaul ~ with characters, story and cast info and NHK also have a page for it.

Wow, I love those character designs and I'm picking up some Miyazaki vibes from them (Kyoko reminds me of Mai from Totoro for example). I think it's the clean lines and the simple shapes of their faces that add tons of character.

Great casting too ~ Orikasa Fumiko (Hikari in Haibane Renmei) as Yuko Kokogi, Yajima Akiko (Pino from Ergo Proxy, Kuu from Haibane Renmei) as Kyoko, Kojima Sachiko (Alice from Tweeny Witches) as Humie, the awesome Junko Noda (Dio from Last Exile, Rekki from Haibane Renmei) amongst others. Distinctive seiyuus, many of which specialize in realistic kid's voices. I'm also quite excited to see three seiyuus from Haibane Renmei reunited for this show.

From the artwork and the subtitle (Coil A Circle Of Children) I'm guessing this will be a kid's show, a sophisticated one though...

Also, from Ben's Blog, it seems Denno Coil won't be airing on NHK-BS, but on a terrestrial station recived by every house in Japan, NHK Educational and that it will start in half-May. Awesome!

Sonhex 2007-01-24 18:09

6:30PM on Saturdays ~ primetime exposure on a channel reknowned for quality anime. Fantastic news indeed. Few animes, let alone pet projects by relatively unknown directors, could hope for a slot like that. NHK must have been dazzled by what they seen from Iso and Madhouse.

Here's full cast info:

Yasako: Tomiko Orikasa (also known as Orikasa Fumiko)
Isako: Noriko Kuwajima
Kyoko: Akiko Yajima
Haraken: Paku Romi
Fumie: Sachiko Kojima
Daichi: Rie Saito
Mega-baa: Reiko Suzuki
Oba-chan: Junko Noda
Akira: Yumiko Kobayashi
Denpa: Kikumi Umeda
Gachagiri: Mayumi Yamaguchi
Namecchi: Yusuke Numata

wao 2007-01-25 00:58

Yes!! Site update!

And holy crap, a sakuga anime on NHK Educational. Oh... my god. Wow. I could almost cry tears of joy - I'm serious.

I got limited time here, but for now I must say his is absoltuely awesome news. And I am very very curious to see how this will turn out. It would be awesome if it turned out as a kid's show that is enjoyable on a basic level, but is subtly aimed at the adults...

EDIT: ZOMG, now that the news sinks in - I'm absolutely thrilled by the cast. I *LOVE* Akiko Yajima and Paku Romi's voiceacting like nobody's business. Absolutely totally love it. Of course it would be perfect if they managed to include like... Atsuko Tanaka in here but she'd probably not fit in thsi series so it's okay. Oh, and I love Junko Noda too. Awesome. I think Orikasa Fumiko's pretty decent too, so yay!

I'm wondering how much control Iso has over the voiceacting - will he be detailed right down to defining the style and mood of voiceacting? IIRC, they haven't released the name of the Sound director yet... I really hope it'll be like Kemonozume where they let the voiceactors be totally normal and have a lot of interesting results.

....And holy asdasdlskfsajlfks'; fangirl.

Music by Tsuneyoshi Saito.

If this turns out as awesome as, say, his Fafner music I.... I... forget it, I won't bother saying anything.

Still, this is really bloody impressive that a show like this gets to be on 6:30 on NHK Terrestrial broadcast on Saturdays. What better exposure could you ask for?! Every single damn household in Japan, if I'm not wrong, theoretically gets to watch this.

On one hand the pressure must be immense on Iso; on the other hand it might be that the producers are just so amazing that they have been wowed over enough to let him take most control on the project because they have faith that he will make it turn out perfectly fine.

Spring cannot come fast enough.

monir 2007-01-25 01:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonhex

That is one formidable cast! They can invade a country with those names. Is Pita Ten (or Princess Tutu) considered children's show? If Denno Coil is anywhere near the level of those shows, then I'm eagerly looking forward to it. And not to forget about the visual delight, the involvement of Madhouse promises, is plenty enough incentive to look forward to a show.

Btw, I've updated the opening post. Thanks Sonhex!

Sonhex 2007-02-21 07:12

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7...0307on4.th.jpg

From Newtype March. No idea what it says but there's some nice new art of the characters :p

wao 2007-02-21 09:42

Many thanks for the scan!

Let's see, more information. Yay. First impression: zomg Kyouko looks like a total Mei clone. (That's not a bad thing, mind you)

Is it the scan, or is it me, or is there a yellowish tinge with the colour design? I vaguely noticed it in other pictures fo the show too... I like how it lends a nostalgic, sort of old feel to the pictures/designs.

Anyway, since my English has deteriorated to the point where anything I attempt to translate comes out in Engrish, I'll just list down what I understand from the scan that isn't already known from other scans (in this thread)

-Houses and other buildings haven't actually changed so much in 202X, but the Net environment has developed and expanded very rapidly, and the items known as "Dennou Megane" (Computer glasses) became a common object.

-I think the show will be focusing on the two Yuukos, differentiated as Isako and Yasako (from alternate pronounciation of the kanji in their names), as well as their classmates.

-"Coil" appears to be some sort of thing. The last line in the story section reads "Ultimately, what is the truth behind 'Coil'?"

I really dig the whole mix of old, vaguely 80s-ish (is it really that? Well it doesn't look modern to me) sort of fashion and aesthetic plus the old crumbling temples; with the 'newfangled' complexity of the Internet as we know it. But well, we'll wait and see for the anime to prove itself...

Shinndou 2007-02-21 09:46

Has the precise airing date of this anime been announced yet?

7Th 2007-02-21 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinndou (Post 839765)
Has the precise airing date of this anime been announced yet?

Mid-May, we don't know anything else.

wao 2007-02-21 09:52

It doesn't seem so. I haven't gone digging for info but MoonPhase says "mid May". Oh damn. That's some time away...

edit: whoops, beat by 7th! Sorry for spammy post.

I wish we could delete posts.

Nightengale 2007-02-21 10:01

Wait.....that's not their nose?

*rechecks scan*

Bummer. I was kinda hoping it wasn't the spectacle frames, but rather the nose itself.

I'm a total sucker for Sanpei-ish designs and 70s/80s feel. I just kinda hope the backgrounds of the anime doesn't look as clean as the character designs, with a more rough style to it, like the illustration.

Sonhex 2007-02-21 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by wao (Post 839760)
Many thanks for the scan!
Let's see, more information. Yay. First impression: zomg Kyouko looks like a total Mei clone. (That's not a bad thing, mind you)

Thanks for translating :) Yeah Kyouko does look like Mei, I'm fine with that because I've read Iso is the best candidate for the title of 'The Next Miyazaki', and homages are a sure fire sign of such things. Whether it's true remains to be seen, of-course. I certainly think he's more suited to that title than Makoto Shinkai.

Quote:

Is it the scan, or is it me, or is there a yellowish tinge with the colour design? I vaguely noticed it in other pictures fo the show too... I like how it lends a nostalgic, sort of old feel to the pictures/designs...

That's true, the website also has a sort of sepia palette to it. It's good whimsical mood colour.
Quote:

Anyway, since my English has deteriorated to the point where anything I attempt to translate comes out in Engrish, I'll just list down what I understand from the scan that isn't already known from other scans (in this thread)

-Houses and other buildings haven't actually changed so much in 202X, but the Net environment has developed and expanded very rapidly, and the items known as "Dennou Megane" (Computer glasses) became a common object...

'Dennou Megane' eh? I wondered why they were all wearing glasses and goggles. I guess those computer glasses allow them to plug into that virtual world with the giant fish. Although I actually thought those glasses was some sort of gear that the kids wore - you know like special devices they kept in those pouches on their belts. Denno Sentai Rangers lol. Or something.:p

Animage March also has some Denno Coil in it, but I can't get my hands on that readily, otherwise I'd scan that too. I may have a look the next time I'm in London.

wao 2007-02-21 11:07

Quote:

I certainly think he's more suited to that title than Makoto Shinkai.
*gasp* I thought I was the only one! *cheers*

The nice thing about those spectacles is that they look somewhat retro-ish (well, to me anyway) ... if not, they also remind me of those goggles you had to wear in sciene labs (or like soldering goggles).

But I won't be surprised if those glasses have something to do with the devices in their pockets.

And I think if I'm not wrong Animage is the magazine that covers this show more than the others. If my memory serves me right it's the stakeout of Yuichiro Oguro, the guy behind WEB Anime Style (aka the if-you-read-any-magazine-then-read-this mag for sakuga otaku). That mag tends to have more interesting interviews and stuff like that, I think. And I won't be surprised in the least if Oguro wants to pimp this show. :P

Also - they are not Dennou Sentai Rangers without an uniform! ;( Although I think Isako would make an excellent one. Man, I hate to stereotype characters for a show I'm serious about, but her expression and hairstyle are already screaming "tsundere" to me and I... I have to admit, I like those jaunty clothes she's wearing. :upset: