AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What's your religion? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=53160)

NightWish 2007-08-18 11:25

What's your religion?

Thread Guidelines
  • No off-topic posts
    The purpose of this thread is for members to state their religion or spiritual focus (or lack thereof). This can include explanations and justifications, provided you stick to personal history and not the history/tenets of the religion itself, or questions about the same.

Future diversions from the topic will not be tolerated.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members
    Do not insult or harass other members for their life choices, no matter how strongly you disagree with them. Discussion is always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• No proselytizing
    To paraphrase Vexx, this thread is NOT for proselytizing. Details about the religion, etc. itself can be provided using a link (wikipedia would be a good choice). Similarly, if you want to know more details about the religion itself, do your own research or ask in private. Do not post discussing it.

This works both way: asking probing questions about the poster's choices, the history that brought them to their religion, is fine, but if you find their position objectionable or they are being evasive/not answering, walk away. This is not the place to coerce people into re-evaluating their beliefs.

• No meta-posting
    Do not debate the thread in the thread. If you want to argue the rules, contact me (or another member of staff) directly.

If you see a problem use the report button:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the
    poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and
    helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

Terrestrial Dream 2007-08-18 11:25

What's your religion?

I am just curious what are some of the Animesuki's member's religion are. I think there was a topic like this but I am not too sure and I can't find one. I am a Buddhist and I am not that serious, I do go to temple sometime but ever since our family moved we can't go there anymore.

Fome 2007-08-18 11:32

I guess you can say I'm atheist, but that's not a religion. Well, I just wanted to help out with the demographics, so that we get an idea of how many nonreligious people there are as well.

Urotsukidoji 2007-08-18 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fome (Post 1101332)
I guess you can say I'm atheist, but that's not a religion. Well, I just wanted to help out with the demographics, so that we get an idea of how many nonreligious people there are as well.

Same; I'm an atheist as well. This topic would make a very good poll... however, since atheism is not a religion but rather lack thereof, include an option for atheism/non-religious?

EDIT: Also maybe put a "no flaming" warning so things don't get out of hand?

Zaris 2007-08-18 12:05

Just a little FYI so that we're all clear: you understand that atheism is not the same thing as saying you believe in scientific laws or principles. Atheism is simply the disbelief of deities such as God or Zeus. How you choose to view the universe from that point is up to you. Quite simply, the term could be defined as a philosophy.

I mean like me - I have a strong faith toward science. I think the universe was created through big bangs and eons of dust gathering and comet impact. But at the same time, I believe that there are many things about the universe that we do not understand nor will I ever be able to understand in the 77 years I have left on this Earth. The world, in my point of view, was created according to complex yet natural laws. But I don't deny the possibility that there are deities out there who may or may not have contributed to the forming of the cosmos. Star Trek has taught me this and to keep an open mind.

xris 2007-08-18 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaris (Post 1101379)
Just a little FYI so that we're all clear: you understand that atheism is not the same thing as saying you believe in scientific laws or principles. Atheism is simply the disbelief of deities such as God or Zeus. How you choose to view the universe from that point is up to you. Quite simply, the term could be defined as a philosophy.

And I would like to point out that your second paragraph is effectively off-topic to the purpose of this thread. Please remember that the topic is if you are religious or not (and stating you are an atheist would therefore be considered on-topic I believe).

I think your post (or at least the second half of it) would be better suited in a thread such as Creationism / Intelligent design which seems to be discussing the topics you raise.
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperlion (Post 1101319)
I am just curious what are some of the Animesuki's member's religion are. I think there was a topic like this but I am not too sure and I can't find one. I am a Buddhist and I am not that serious, I do go to temple sometime but ever since our family moved we can't go there anymore.

It might be a good time to remind posters of some of the general etiquette for posting here at AnimeSuki :)
  • Do not insult or harass other members for their comments.
    Please remember: Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a different viewpoint from yours. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won’t be tolerated.
If you can't follow this simple rule then please don't post.

Cheezy 2007-08-18 12:23

I'm atheist. No point wasting time in the church on sundays.

Daniel E. 2007-08-18 12:25

Eventhough I was born on a very religious family, I ended up becoming an Atheist as well.

Thankfully, my family is also very open minded, and has respected my decision since the very beginning. :)

Kensuke 2007-08-18 12:34

Atheist. Raised in mildly religious (Christianity) family, but I can't simply imagine that there are any supernatural beings. Perhaps it is partly due to my interests in astronomy and science in general.

Thingle 2007-08-18 14:47

I have no religion.

Terrestrial Dream 2007-08-18 14:56

Wow I thought there wouldn't be this much Atheist here, I thought there would be more of Christan here.

Thingle 2007-08-18 14:57

Now you know.

Daniel E. 2007-08-18 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperlion (Post 1101585)
Wow I thought there wouldn't be this much Atheist here, I thought there would be more of Christan here.

I would be surprised if Atheist were a majority here.

Right now, the thread has a snowball sort of effect.......... or so I think. :p

TakutoKun 2007-08-18 15:07

Well, I am here to break the chain of expected/unexpected Atheists... Quite a few of my friends have made a claim towards Atheism as well as Wiccanism(?). At any rate, I will be truthful and note that I am a Latin Rite Roman Catholic.

Thingle 2007-08-18 16:24

@Matt
A tridentine adherent?

WanderingKnight 2007-08-18 16:32

Quote:

Wiccanism
I have a Wiccan friend. Quite a nice guy, one of my best friends in that regard.

As for me, I hold no religion, thankyouverymuch :)

Urotsukidoji 2007-08-18 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Incest (Post 1101726)
@Matt
A tridentine adherent?

Latin rites and the Tridentine Mass are basically the same thing. Speech and sermon at a Tridentine Mass is spoken entirely in Latin... ironic, since Latin was the language of the very people who crucified Jesus... the Romans.

I am an atheist... I just happen to know a lot about Roman Catholic tradition.

Thingle 2007-08-18 16:45

So do I.

I am technically an apostate. But I study catholic theology.

Manifold 2007-08-18 16:50

I am a Christian. In the sense that I have accepted Christ as my saviour and my Lord, and that I have asked Christ to forgive my (Original) sin(s) and enter my life.

TakutoKun 2007-08-18 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Incest (Post 1101726)
@Matt
A tridentine adherent?

Well, unfortunately the Tridentine Mass is not delivered in my area. I am on the Base-side of the Canadian Diocese while the local Diocese of Pembroke is moving towards the traditional Mass setting. The Bishop does not seem to be pressuring the Clergy to deliver Latin during the Mass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urotsukidoji (Post 1101742)
Latin rites and the Tridentine Mass are basically the same thing. Speech and sermon at a Tridentine Mass is spoken entirely in Latin... ironic, since Latin was the language of the very people who crucified Jesus... the Romans.

I am an atheist... I just happen to know a lot about Roman Catholic tradition.

Even the Tridentine Mass was relaxed to allow the Homily to be spoken in the language of the region.