AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Thanksgiving Time!!! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=792)

EliteJounin 2003-11-12 03:59

Thanksgiving Time!!!

What do you like to eat?

I like mashed potatoes....
Turkey makes people sleepy... not me though.
Im the energetic kind so it doesnt work on me.

gravitation 2003-11-12 04:11

we dont have thanksgiving over here but i have seen on some shows where they have thanksgiving and it sure does look really tasty^_^

EliteJounin 2003-11-12 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravitation
we dont have thanksgiving over here but i have seen on some shows where they have thanksgiving and it sure does look really tasty^_^

Aww... why not? You should celebrate thanksgivings!

[Titan] 2003-11-12 04:50

No thanksgiving here either, what's it about anyway?

uglypigs 2003-11-12 05:24

um, pilgrims landing in american, nearly dying of starvation, native americans bringing food, then pilgrims killing native americans off, and then turning into a begining point to christmas shopping. great stuff, better food.

Asura 2003-11-12 05:29

the way I would celebrate my thanksgiving:

At least 2 days before T-day, go to the track, see a duck landing, purposefully hit the duck with the car (forget the traffic cones and points deduction, I'm after the duck), bring the duck home, cook myself a BBQ duck, eat up.

For some reason I just don't like turkey. they taste wierd..

Wandering_Youth 2003-11-12 05:54

Thankgiving has to be my fav holiday because it's all about food however, I'm not too fond of turkey myself; they do taste rather odd. I'm picky about food so I'll eat anything on the table as long as it taste good.

Sukato 2003-11-12 06:22

btw, for those that might get confused..the christmas shopping that uglypigs mentions doesn't have anything to do with the pilgrims. In modern day USA, Thanksgiving week has become the most popular shopping day for Christmas...thus all of the big sales and various christmas goods are around that time.

Meroko 2003-11-12 10:56

lmao

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglypigs
um, pilgrims landing in american, nearly dying of starvation, native americans bringing food, then pilgrims killing native americans off, and then turning into a begining point to christmas shopping. great stuff, better food.

That's pretty much the jist of it all. I like turkey and stuffing, yummmmm!!! Also pumkin cheesecake with lotsa whipped cream!

[Titan] 2003-11-12 13:30

So it's basically one of those national holidays that has lost it's original meaning (like christmas and easter) and has now become an opertunity to stuff yourself with food, nice :D

boneyjellyfish 2003-11-12 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Titan]
No thanksgiving here either, what's it about anyway?

It marks the turning point in american history when our ancestors decided to steal the land from the Native Americans, sell their scalps for profit, and mercilessly kill them off for our own amusement.

Oh, it's also a time when we get to eat TURKEY! Mmm... that's a good way to celebrate the slaughter of the native americans. I drool at the thought of it.

Quote:

has now become an opportunity to stuff yourself with food
YES! Now you're getting it!

xris 2003-11-12 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan
has now become an opportunity to stuff yourself with food

YES! Now you're getting it!

And there was me thinking it had just become a trite and superfluous commercial enterprise designed to extract more money from the American wallet (like Christmas and Easter and... any other 'holiday').

boneyjellyfish 2003-11-12 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by xris
And there was me thinking it had just become a trite and superfluous commercial enterprise designed to extract more money from the American wallet (like Christmas and Easter and... any other 'holiday').

With the exception of the Thanksgiving Parade, what other commerical things are there on Thanksgiving? There's Football... umm... food shopping a couple days before...

I can't remember ever receiving a gift or actually celebrating anything on Thanksgiving. It's just a time to get family over and eat to your heart's content. Hmm... it's never too good for your intestines though :D

Tzurial 2003-11-12 17:39

I have nowhere to go for thanksgiving, my family is far far away..sigh...theyre also kicking me out of my dorm for 4 days and closing the cafeteria. So It'll be me and the hobo in the park trying to catch those damn pigeons again. (Ill get you one day you crafty pigeons!!)

DontEatGrandma 2003-11-12 20:39

thanksgiving day sales are the best! im going to bestbuy at like 3 in the morning...

last year my friend got a $500 G-Force card for only $80 b/c of the sales.

p3psi 2003-11-12 21:52

The day after thanksgiving is america's biggest shopping day.

ALso, not to mention that we get at least a four day weekend. A few schools give the whole week off as fall break.

and, for you that dont live in america, NFL games are usally only played on sundays, and only 1 game is played on monday every week.

but on thanksgiving, there's usally a couple NFL games on. its a tradition to stuff yourself and then unbutton your pants or wear sweatpants so your gutt can stick out. and then watch like the first half of the game and then drift into sleep on the sofa.
good times.

but the day after is hell, you got to pass like 10 pounds of only partially digested food through your colon.

Cz 2003-11-13 13:24

I remember lining up in front of Bestbuy one Thanksgiving morning (5 or 6 am) but missed the chance to get a good cheap Geforce 3. Yeah it was a few years ago. Others scope out the store the day before to gather intelligence, then camp in front of it early in the morning (maybe even the night before!). Yeah, it's crazy. I don't think I'll be doing it again. Sucks to camp in the freezing night, especially if it snows. Somebody even sold hot chocolate to all those waiting Bestbuy customers!

Asura 2003-11-13 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tzurial
I have nowhere to go for thanksgiving, my family is far far away..sigh...theyre also kicking me out of my dorm for 4 days and closing the cafeteria. So It'll be me and the hobo in the park trying to catch those damn pigeons again. (Ill get you one day you crafty pigeons!!)

Aww, that's too bad.. lend you my cat? he's a good pigeon catcher.. at least 1/2 a pigeon per morning..(the rest were...irrecognisable if it were to belong on the pigeon... :heh: )

dragonz20 2003-11-13 16:50

mmmmmm... Thanksgiving means lots of good turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, bread n butter, pumpkin pie, a nice glass of wine... hhmmmm.. yum yum...

Tzurial 2003-11-13 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asura
Aww, that's too bad.. lend you my cat? he's a good pigeon catcher.. at least 1/2 a pigeon per morning..(the rest were...irrecognisable if it were to belong on the pigeon... :heh: )

wow youre cat is amazing!! Im jealous, no matter what I do, those pigeons see me coming a mile a way. They have super pigeon senses!!
sigh..humans are not the dominant species we think we are.

to keep this on topic- I love mashed potatoes, they are all mashy! yum