AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Penguin Drum (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Penguin Drum - Episodes 1-10 Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=106925)

CrowKenobi 2011-09-16 12:40

Penguin Drum - Episodes 1-10 Discussion

Welcome to the discussion thread for Mawaru Penguin Drum, Episodes 1-10.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.

Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...al/spoiler.gifJust highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...ons/report.gifClick the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

SoFarGone 2011-09-16 16:02

I enjoyed episode 10 even though the animation looked awful.

Solace 2011-09-16 16:37

Animation wasn't too great this week, but it did the job. Himari hinting at bro-con fetish was interesting, and I liked the dynamic between the four characters (the siblings and Ringo).

Overall though, not much new compared to last episode. Mario still looks like a girl imo, and we get some more plot breadcrumbs.

More thoughts later.

wandering-dreamer 2011-09-16 16:47

You know, I actually thought that Himari was asking Kanba for advice for what she should make for another guy (thinking about her promised groom again?) and got sad when she realized that the boy would hate everything she would make (according to Kanba anyway).

Kazu-kun 2011-09-16 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solace (Post 3769151)
Himari hinting at bro-con fetish was interesting

Actually, we don't know if what she's knitting is for him. She might just wanted his opinion on what kinda gift a guy likes to receive from a girl. The scene is ambiguous enough to allow for various interpretations. And with the inclusion of Mario in the same episode... well, you gotta wonder....

Archon_Wing 2011-09-16 17:03

Evil Penguin FTW! And oh man, Ringo might eventually get a bit too attached to Shouma. XD

Guardian Enzo 2011-09-16 17:10

Congratulations to MPD for the long-overdue subforum! Episode 10 blog:

I definitely got the sense that Himari was knitting that scarf either for Shouma or her "fated one", though I don't doubt siscon Kanba fantasized it was for him. Lots of shading and interpretation here - if it was for Shouma, is that a brocon hint? Just a get-well scarf?

Mario does look like a girl, and the seiyuu has never played a male. That "Mario-san" was interesting. What does that imply, exactly? You wouldn't expect a girl to call a younger sibling of either gender that, would you? Perhaps Mario-san is an older sibling?

Triple_R 2011-09-16 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 3769175)

Mario does look like a girl, and the seiyuu has never played a male. That "Mario-san" was interesting. What does that imply, exactly? You wouldn't expect a girl to call a younger sibling of either gender that, would you? Perhaps Mario-san is an older sibling?

Mario does indeed look like a girl. That being said, I can't think of any girls or women named "Mario". And it's actually not that uncommon of a name in the more french-speaking parts of Canada.

Tyabann 2011-09-16 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon_Wing (Post 3769168)
Evil Penguin FTW!

Its name is Esmeralda... I wonder if that means anything.

I suppose Masako, being as theatrical as she is, might simply have chosen the name just because she liked the connotations...

Kazu-kun 2011-09-16 17:18

Quote:

Mario does look like a girl, and the seiyuu has never played a male.

But it's official he's a guy.

Quote:

That "Mario-san" was interesting. What does that imply, exactly? You wouldn't expect a girl to call a younger sibling of either gender that, would you? Perhaps Mario-san is an older sibling?

Maybe he's older. After all, I doubt you keep growing after you die, even if you have a hat that let you keep walking around. And we don't know when he died, so anything is possible.

Tokkan 2011-09-16 17:19

Quote:

That "Mario-san" was interesting.

Sounded more like "Mario-sama" to me.

Tyabann 2011-09-16 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple_R (Post 3769179)
And it's actually not that uncommon of a name in the more french-speaking parts of Canada.

It's written in katakana, too... despite their shared surname, I doubt Mario and Masako are actually related.

Guardian Enzo 2011-09-16 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple_R (Post 3769179)
Mario does indeed look like a girl. That being said, I can't think of any girls or women named "Mario". And it's actually not that uncommon of a name in the more french-speaking parts of Canada.

Of course, in Lily Hoshino designs all little boys look like little girls.

Is it 100% officially confirmed Mario is a guy?

Kazu-kun 2011-09-16 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 3769193)

Spoiler:

Slick_rick 2011-09-16 17:28

Episode 10 was decent but after episode 9 if certainly was a bit of a letdown. It still has some good moments though. Penguins were funny as always. Loved when #2 swallowed the thermometer then you see him drooling the mercury out.:heh: Kanba and Natsume have a long past and it seemed to be that Sho knew who she was too. I wonder what their actual connection is.

One part that interested me was the mention of Ariadne's thread. Basically an Ariadne's thread is a record of steps you take in order to solve a problem or try to so you can basically go back and do it over again to find other possible solutions to a problem. Is that was Ringo's diary was, a record of Momoka's attempts to accomplish something but someone backtracked because she ended up failing? Did they just decided to start over with a different set of people and methods but need the diary in order to figure out what will and won't work? If that's the case then it almost all centered around Tabuki then since the entire diary is about him.

From the preview I don't think Ringo is going to be giving on Tabuki even without the diary so it should get interesting there. I starting to think Yuri is also involved heavily and just acting. We'll probably see them go after either other but as long as we have other character also involved I'm fine with that. Kanba needs to be taking a more active role now and go after Natsume. Hopefully the Penguin Queen will have some other information to help them along too.

Chase 2011-09-16 19:10

All i really have to say right now is that im starting to warm up to Ringo's character a lot more than i did early on. As for episode 10, it was quite good. Can't get enough of those penguins either doing their thing.lol. This show has really turned into a must watch for me.

Archon_Wing 2011-09-16 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon (Post 3769182)
Its name is Esmeralda... I wonder if that means anything.

I suppose Masako, being as theatrical as she is, might simply have chosen the name just because she liked the connotations...

To me the only thing I got from that was that it's a she. :heh:

Kyuu 2011-09-16 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 3769193)

I'd hate to be a girl named Mario. :upset::upset::twitch:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFarGone (Post 3769125)
I enjoyed episode 10 even though the animation looked awful.

Awful? I'll use the word "appropriate" to indicate how psychotic it was; add in the music recognized in Civ V - in a scratchy, hard to hear form. Oh the scorn of a woman... don't mess with that.

creb 2011-09-17 00:50

Oh, I have deep, deep, deep suspicions concerning Tabuki and Yuri. In a show like this, I just assume no one is what they seem. :p And, in Yuri's case, we've already seen how she can put up an act when she's had her private "conversations" with Ringo. Besides, Tabuki has glasses, and Japanese men who wear glasses tend to always be hiding something if the last 89987972 anime shows are anything to go by, and Yuri is this gorgeous woman, and we all know a gorgeous woman has to end up being an antagonist of some sort in an industry where it's the teenagers who are the protagonists. Right? :p

vansonbee 2011-09-17 02:39

Just finished watching episode #10, it seem Ringo might turn a new leaf, after what happen in episode #8 with the incident with Shouma. I hope Ringo keeps her crazy antics and focus them on Shouma instead of that old nerdy teacher! :p