AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Animesuki Forum/Style Wishlist (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=90339)

felix 2010-01-03 07:08

Animesuki Forum/Style Wishlist

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWish (Post 2850238)
we might look to invite suggestions and incorporate visual or style changes, but don't count on it. Of course, suggestions are fine, just don't assume we'll adopt them (or get annoyed if we don't) :)

Oh oh, suggestions. Lets see.

Dear Animasuki Santa, I would like a
  • A gray/dimgray theme like we have now.
  • Highlighted contacts, since its always nice to know contact X or Y are around.
  • Fixed and Fluid layout switching.
  • The vBulletin default parent theme selectable.
  • "You will be redirected, blah blah" turned off. If I see my post isn't that enough confirmation?
  • Time between visitor messages nerfed!
  • Sub-Forums displayed when you are say in Current Series as they are displayed at the top level.
  • More space between subforums.jpg.
  • User switch for postbit. Honestly the way vB4.0 makes is so damn wide is annoying, I'd rather see it at the top if its going to be that wide.
  • Trim off quotes in quotes from the 2nd or 3rd level down.

xris 2010-01-03 07:16

Feel free to write, test and maintain the plugins and hacks yourself. Once you do feel free to submit them to us for consideration.

felix 2010-01-03 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa (Post 2850946)
Feel free to write, test and maintain the plugins and hacks yourself. Once you do feel free to submit them to us for consideration.

For some of them the option is already there (adminCP etc).

xris 2010-01-03 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cats (Post 2850970)
For some of them the option is already there (adminCP etc).

Feel free to provide details. Once you do we will take them into consideration.

felix 2010-01-03 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santa (Post 2850987)
Feel free to provide details. Once you do we will take them into consideration.

But.. but... Ahh well, lets see.

(gonna presume clean this is after clean install, each time)
  • "Fixed and Fluid layout switching." steps
    1. Go to Styles & Templates > Style Manager
    2. We'll presume the target style is called "vBulletin 4 Style"
    3. From the dropdown on the right select Add Child Style
    4. Set Allow User Selection to yes and (in our case) call it "vBulletin 4 Style (Fixed)" before hitting Save.
    5. From the dropdown of the new style select StyleVars
    6. In the searchbox type "doc" to filter to just the options we need.
    7. Go to "doc_margin", select Use the 'top' value for all sides to Yes, set Units to the blank value and Top to "auto". Hit Save when you are done.
    8. Go to "doc_maxWidth" select Units to "px" and type in 900 or 800 as the value. Hit "Save" and you're done, you now have a fixed-width style cloning all settings and customizations of its parent style.

• "The vBulletin default parent theme selectable." steps
    2. The default vBulletin style should be called "Default Style" unless you changed it, and is the top most style (or otherwise said at the root of the style tree).
    3. In its dropdown select Edit Settings
    4. Title: "vBulletin 4 Style"
    5. Allow User Selection: Yes

• "You will be redirected, blah blah" turned off.
    Seems its been completely scrapped by default in vB4, yey.

• "Time between visitor messages nerfed!"
    1. Go to Settings > Options > --Show All Settings--
    2. Search for "Minimum Time Between Posts", you have it now at round 60 seconds.
    3. Please set it to the sensible 20 seconds, or back to vBulletin's default value of 30 seconds.
Post the harder ones a lil' bit later.

felix 2010-01-03 11:46

+1
  • "User switch for postbit." steps
    I'm going to adapt the process recommended by the vB team for the 3.x series to work for vB4. I won't mention what I changed to what since mostly its just 5 lines of code to compare if you are interested.

Part 1: Adding user selectable option in "Forum Options" section
    1. Go to User Profile Fields > Add New User Profile Field > Single-Selection Menu
    2. Title: "Thread Postbit Position"
    3. Description: "Sets where user profile information is displayed in each post."
    4. For options enter 2 lines, one with "Left" on it and another with "Top".
    5. For Set Default select Yes, Including a First Black Option
    6. Filed required: No
    7. Private Field: Yes
    8. Field Searchable on Members List: No
    9. Show on Members List: No
    10. And lastly set Which page displays this option? to Options: Thread Viewing

You will have obtained a new profile field, by default it is "Uncategorized" and provided this is a clean install it will have the id 5, as in referenced by "field5". If the field you've created has a different id take note of it and replace all instances of "field5" bellow with your own.

Part 2: Creating a plugin to make use of the option.
    1. Go to Plugins & Products > Add New Plugin
    2. Leave product to vBulletin, though you could just have a holder product if you wish.
    3. Hook Location: fetch_foruminfo
    4. Set Title to "Postbit User-Selector"
    5. Plugin PHP Code
      Code:

if ($vbulletin->userinfo['field5'] == 'Left')
      {
        $vbulletin->options['legacypostbit'] = 1;
      }
      if ($vbulletin->userinfo['field5'] == 'Top')
      {
        $vbulletin->options['legacypostbit'] = 0;
      }

6. Save and Enable it and you're done.

Note that's vBulletin 4 code, haven't tested but doubt it will work on 3.8 or earlier. The old 3.x version of the code can be made to work by asis by enabling the compatibility aliases, that's also not recommended.

Screenshots:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8813/scrn1.th.jpg . http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/6444/scrn2b.th.jpg . http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4585/scrn3.th.jpg

Shin Muhammad 2010-01-03 13:27

I'm afraid most of vB 3.x based board will switch to 4.x version in near time.

4.x is simply a rewrite of vBulletin, and they made most of mods/hacks (and even themes) for 3.x branch completely unusable.

Spoiler for notes:

But, for that "annoying" pop-ups, you can disable it under vBulletin Options > Cookies and HTTP Header Options > Remove Redirection Message Pages (set to Yes).

xris 2010-01-03 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin Muhammad (Post 2851252)
But, for that "annoying" pop-ups, you can disable it under vBulletin Options > Cookies and HTTP Header Options > Remove Redirection Message Pages (set to Yes).

Thanks, I think one of the other Admin has already set this option to "Yes".

felix 2010-01-03 13:43

Yeah that's the one! thanks Shin.

+2 more
  • "More space between subforums.jpg."
    Whatever your preference for code to do this (since you are already using it and it is a customization) just increase the size of the container, so names as long as that don't cause the effect.

• "Trim off quotes in quotes from the 2nd or 3rd level down."
    1. Go to Styles & Templates > Style Manager > (your root style) > Common Templates
    2. In the headinclude field add,
      Code:

<!-- Disable long nested quotes -->
      <style type="text/css">.bbcode_quote .bbcode_quote .bbcode_quote { display: none; }</style>

xris 2010-01-03 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cats (Post 2851265)
"Trim off quotes in quotes from the 2nd or 3rd level down."

If I remember correctly you had asked for this previously, to which our answer was "no". The answer is still "no".

felix 2010-01-03 16:18

I did? I suppose I could have. Well anyway no matter.

Here's the last of the details you asked. With this everything I mentioned in my first post should be as you asked.
  • "A gray/dimgray theme like we have now." steps

Steps will produce this,
    http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8524/testvl.th.jpg

2. On your root style, select Add Child Style
    3. Call it what you want, and make it user selectable. Save it.
    4. Select StyleVars on the dropdown for the new style.
    5. In the filter write "background" and modify properties as follows
      Quote:

blockhead_background #a8a8a8
      wysiwyg_textbox_background #f9f9f9
      vbblog_featured_background #f8f8f8
      vbblog_featured_header_background #ebebeb
      postbitlite_header_background #f8f8f8
      announcement_background #ebebeb
      body_brackground #efefef
      content1_background #666
      content3_background #fff
      control_content_background #868686
      control_content_hover_background #656565
      control_focus_background #f8f8f8
      doc_background #dfdfdf
      lightweightbox_background #f8f8f8
      tabslight_selected_background #f8f8f8
      pagination_background #f8f8f8
      pagination_current_background #a4a4a4
      footer_background #696969
      forumhead_background #7f7f7f
      header_background #565656
      navbar_background #818181
      navbar_background_notify #a8a8a8
      navbar_tab_background #a8a8a8
      navbar_tab_selected_background #a8a8a8
      postbit_userinfo_background #d8d6d2
      postbithead_background #a8a8a8
      threadbit_alt_background #f8f8f8
      threadlisthead_background #777777
      bbcode_quote_background #f8f8f8
      vbcms_navwidget_header_background #696969
    6. Then write "border" and modify properties as follows,
      Quote:

threadlisthead_border #979797
      heavy_border #8d8d8d
      light_border #ebebeb
      lightweightbox_border #ebebeb
      mid_border #ababab
      pagination_a_hover_border #ececec
      pagination_border #ebebeb
      pagination_current_border #949494
      pagination_hover_border #949494
      tabslight_border #ababab
      navbar_tab_border #979797
      postbit_border #666
      postbit_userinfo_border #aaa
      postbithead_border #7f7f7f
    7. Lastly find and edit the following and its done,
      Quote:

texthilite_color #949494
      postbitlegacy_userinfo_width 140px

Shin Muhammad 2010-01-04 05:08

One more to note:

the template system in 4.x branch is simply different than in 3.8.x branch. So I'm afraid that tricks will render unusable.

What will we get in a standard 3.8.x admincp:

DragoZERO 2010-01-07 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by xris (Post 2851347)
If I remember correctly you had asked for this previously, to which our answer was "no". The answer is still "no".

Besides, it's already been done. You can't nest any quotes here. I think having two levels would be great but it's been suggested and discussed many times and it's obvious it won't change so there is no sense in bringing it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cats (Post 2851108)
"Time between visitor messages nerfed!"
  1. Go to Settings > Options > --Show All Settings--
  2. Search for "Minimum Time Between Posts", you have it now at round 60 seconds.
  3. Please set it to the sensible 20 seconds, or back to vBulletin's default value of 30 seconds.

Only problem with that is it will affect normal posts as well. And 20 seconds is way too low for a forum as busy as this. I think 60 is a bit too long, 45 may be better, but I'm not sure what the server load is and everything. The host may require the time between posts be longer than default in some cases.

Sophie 2010-01-08 19:13

30 seconds between posts/VMs are totally fine, IMO.
Just keep it mind it will definitely not be any good idea to disable it at all for obvious reasons.

felix 2010-01-09 10:29

Another idea,
  • Change phrasing to be more custom/anime like. The vB one too general purpose.

What I mean by it is you replace stuff like this,

• "Thread" with "Topic" (its better to "call it what it is")
    • "Reply" with "Post" (its not always a reply)
      Also the term "Post" is used more often, as in "New Posts", "user has X posts" etc
    • "Post quick reply"/"Submit reply" with "Publish" (they do same thing, should be called the same)
    • "Go Advance" with "More options" (more intuitive)
    • "Preview Post" with "Preview" (simpler is better)
    • "Contact"/"Friends" list with "Watch"/"Buddy" -list (its more anime/game like that way)
    • "Sticky:" with "Important:" (that way avoid repetition when you write titles)
      Not to mention using forum slang is bad for new members.
    • "Delete" with "Remove" (because its not really deleted anyway)
      The other option members don't see is "Physically Remove Message" so it makes sense for first to be "Remove"

etc etc

Example
    Step A: Create new (Phrase) Language, so it can be turned on/off easily
    1. Go to Language & Phrases > Language Manager
      You should have just "English (US)" at the moment.
    2. Select Add New Language
    3. For the sake of example lets call it "English (Animesuki)"
    4. No need to change anything else, just hit Save

Now that there are 2 languages, a new box will appear next to the usual style chooser. Namely: Quick Language Chooser

Step B: Customize

There are quite a few way to do it. There are a few "by hand" methods which are well, too slow and you might miss one or two phrases here and there. There is the too easy/messy find and replace option. And there is the standard search and modify:
    1. Go to Language & Phrases > Search in Phrases
    2. Leave Search in Language set to the default of "All Languages" so you can have a nice reference (also makes searching easier). Since you will get result using old term even if its modified (because its cross reference to old unmodified English (US) language).
    3. To change "Sticky:" to "Important:" type in "sticky" in the search field and hit Find
    4. Around the top results you should have "sticky_thread_prefix" which is what we need so just hit Edit next to it. No need to worry about changing everything else there since we only want the presentation layer to show "Important:", the hole technicality bit of "its called a sticky thread" (etc) can stay as-is.
    5. In the "English (Animesuki) Translation" field type in "Important: " and you're done. (blank means accept default)
    6. If you are not sure what the text should look like (say you are editing something that takes a {variable} or two in there) go back to the search results and using the category shown for the target locate the phrase in the phrase manager.

xris 2010-01-09 10:46

I can't see the need for any of these suggestions, it seems you want change for change sake, not for any actual need.

felix 2010-01-09 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by xris (Post 2859927)
I can't see the need for any of these suggestions, it seems you want change for change sake, not for any actual need.

Well to explain it simply, you have a theme thats not the default. Also banners and etc. Same idea.

xris 2010-01-09 13:26

My reply above was in responce to your suggestions to change terms such as "Thread" with "Topic" and now you bring up themes and banners. How are they the "same idea"?

felix 2010-01-09 14:27

Hm, okey let me try again...
Quote:

Originally Posted by xris (Post 2860122)
My reply above was in responce to your suggestions to change terms such as "Thread" with "Topic" and now you bring up themes and banners. How are they the "same idea"?

Its simple, take the original vBulletin theme, the forum was this blue blob. As I suggested above some of the phrases be tweaked, you tweaked some of the colors of this blue blob to get the gray/yellow theme you have now (as default). It wasn't a bad thing was it...

The phrasing used I suggested changing is by todays standards either awkward or way too technical. It was devised when forums still coexisted as another form of mailing list/irc channel, so the phrasing is inherently technical and complicated (to your average new user; and people who visit from other non-vBulletin or forum-ish places). vBulletin, weirdly enough, also kept their original phrasing since its inception around 10 years ago (most likely compliance reasons), which was good then, but looks very old/silly when compared to todays standards where the alternative more natural words have come into place and use.

Not to mention this is a anime forum. vBulletin leaves things as stickies/threads/replies/contacts because they can't assume what you would use their software for. You might use it for bug tracking, just for a form of interactive support, listing of some kind of discussion etc. Here however you don't have that ambiguity, so it doesn't make sense to leave it technical, as in: "I need to create a Topic. To create a topic I need to create a Thread." rather you can have "I need to create a Topic. Oh look, there's the New Topic button." with the change of one pesky word.

And don't tell me everyone knows it since I know you're old enough to remember the times when we didn't have the majority we have now of people who've learned what they are suppose to mean. Also, there is still plenty of silly phrasing (people have not gotten too used to) in the system anyway. For example, what is a "Contact List"? It doesn't show me a phone number or info, so its not something like a personal phone book; so what is it? If I called it a "Watchlist" (like they do on pretty much every site out there; even GHD used it in the beta of v3) everyone would understand what it does and is, regardless of what I place in it; but its not called that is it =P

Also c'mon its only 3 clicks and a few edits. Not to mention its all built in very nicely so it doesn't even bother the vB1.0 phrases if you're in love with them. I didn't ask for you to set it as default Langauge either so its not really bothering anyone.

felix 2010-01-09 14:57

Another idea (more like suggestion),
  • Make spoiler tags not quote-able.

I won't go into anything too technical with this one, since I'm not sure what you are planning. But anyway, there are two ways I can think of. One way would be to somehow use the quote tag (since quotes don't quote themselves). Amusingly this works in practice with what we have, like so:
    Quote:

Spoiler:

Regrettably this will require a plugin to get it to be convenient.

So plan B is, given we have a spoiler tag similar to what we have now, create a plugin, make it hook up to the pre-send filtering (the appropriate word escapes me at the moment =P) and strip away any spoilers in quotes. This will work better because it will eliminate intentional nesting of spoiler tags in quotes not just preventing them from being quoted naturally. However, its probably best to create a similar plugin to strip them right before they pass into posts as well as after things like a preview; so behavior is not just hacked into one spot.

Of course people could still do something like "X wrote:" and write the spoiler outside the quote tag but only idiots would do that (ignorant of the hints).