AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Attack on Titan (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Attack on Titan - Episode 20 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=121523)

Kairin 2013-08-23 19:34

Attack on Titan - Episode 20 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Attack on Titan, Episode 20.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Kakurin 2013-08-24 13:34

That was the heck of a move by the female titan. Letting herself get eaten in order to free herself, then escape with the maneuver gear. Poor Gunter, getting killed in such a suprise move. The squad is now in trouble, with Levi still away and the person perhaps turning into a titan the next moment.

Gravitas Free Zone 2013-08-24 18:45

Oluo and Sasha were more outsourced off-model than usual... so it goes.

Regarding pacing, the first half, where the recruits (and veterans) all gradually reached their mutual conclusion regarding the nature of the mission, started to really drag. A few more cuts back to the situation with the Female Titan would have at least broken up the talking-head effect that occurred after a couple of minutes. The last few minutes were appropriately tense and informative, but it was a chore to get there.

Also, putting in a few shots of the Female Titan would have lessened the feeling that they'd just spent twelve minutes staring idly at the trapped Female Titan before they got on with their plan.

Erwin seems to be doing a decent job of compensating for an opponent that doesn't just add extra cards to their hand in the middle of the game but changes the rules as the game goes on. After the mission wraps I'd be worried about protecting him.

darklegends8 2013-08-24 19:15

Pacing was okay to me, Ymir has a really pretty voice which I didn't notice until this episode.

Next few episodes are going to be awesome and sad at the same time.

jeroz 2013-08-24 19:25

Oh man oh man oh man, the next episode and two are the ones I was looking forward to the most when this adaptation was announced.

It's obvious that the studio is allocating the resources to the episodes that matters.

Mouretsu 2013-08-24 19:39

This episode ... awesome. I love it. Can't wait for next episode. Those who read the manga know the disguised person and I so CANNOT wait for the ending of this season's anime.

Sales are freaking insane for the BDs and DVDs, I doubt they would let this slide without making a second season. They may even announce it towards the last episode. Urgh ... is chapter 49 going to be out yet?!

Edit -- End of August will ship out the 2nd BD volumes, I already placed my pre-order on it. Going to pre-order Volume 3 now.

GreyZone 2013-08-24 19:39

So next episode we will finally, for the first time, see a 3DMG vs 3DMG fight? Interesting. Eren's 3DMG titan kill count is still 0 though.

darklegends8 2013-08-24 19:50

Btw anyone like how the first thing that Eren asks after hearing that Uluo and Petra peed their pants is "does that mean you sprayed it everywhere in midair?"

thundrakkon 2013-08-24 20:00

There are a few things that bothered me this episode.

1) They mentioned that they did not know where Krista was, and then she appears in the end.
2) Mikasa mentioned that Armin predicted that Eren was in the mid-back of the formation, yet I don't believe she met up with Armin at any point in the expedition.
3) The supposed female titan human form person in the end has a Recon Corp uniform.

For the third point, I believe that it is another traitor, and not necessarily the female titan in human form. To prepare clothes, she would have needed to place it somewhere where she can access it, and which she could have worn it, but it seems unlikely with the hood and cape. Also, every time Eren transforms, he loses his 3D gear. Hence, if she has 3D gear, she would have stashed it somewhere in the forest, assuming she knew that they would end up in the forest. So yeah, I think this traitor is a different person.

Either way, this episode was exciting. If the titans were ignoring the corp, I wonder why they didn't just chase after them and cut them down? So does this mean that the female titan cannot control the normal titans, and they all chase human titans regardless of who is inside? Or did she specifically give them all a command when she yelled?

I'm looking forward to the Levi versus assassin next week.

Gravitas Free Zone 2013-08-24 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklegends8 (Post 4805363)
Btw anyone like how the first thing that Eren asks after hearing that Uluo and Petra peed their pants is "does that mean you sprayed it everywhere in midair?"

It's the little incidents like that which result in pilots getting amusing call signs like "Golden." ;)

zRichard 2013-08-24 20:05

>Mikasa mentioned that Armin predicted that Eren was in the mid-back of the formation, yet I don't believe she met up with Armin at any point in the expedition.

That wouldn't be such a glaring plot hole if the line hadn't been so badly translated.

Manga fan-TLd version is: "Armin's supposed to be to be around the back of the central rows, and Eren is likely to be, uh... Where was it again?"

Haigon 2013-08-24 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundrakkon (Post 4805371)

1) They mentioned that they did not know where Krista was, and then she appears in the end.

There was only Ymir and Bert, they are scattered across the forest's edge.

takai 2013-08-24 20:59

Dammit. Now I have to wait until next episode to see it. Really poor pacing at the beginning again, you'd think they'd find their rhythm by now. And how many stills do you need in a show?

Still waiting for Eren to kick more ass in Titan mode. We seriously need some more of that.

Jerseykid 2013-08-24 21:31

Things actually happening just took 5 minutes. I wait all week for 5 minutes

JamJackEvo 2013-08-24 21:45

Quote:

The teams are separated by trees. Ymir and Christa are most likely located on the opposite sides of the quasi-formation they were in, so it's only natural for Ymir to wonder where Christa is because she has no visual or idea of where she was stationed in the formation. We, the audience, however, do not have that limitation.

LeoXiao 2013-08-24 21:45

Yeah this is one of those shows where you're probably better off watching it when it's all said and done, instead of waiting seven days to see the plot progress an inch further each time for 235 days.

VTHokiePride 2013-08-24 21:47

Next week is when everything goes down and I'm still happy the anime is still going at a good pace compared to the manga. Can't wait for next week's episode.

kitten320 2013-08-24 21:56

Quote:

2) Mikasa mentioned that Armin predicted that Eren was in the mid-back of the formation, yet I don't believe she met up with Armin at any point in the expedition.
3) The supposed female titan human form person in the end has a Recon Corp uniform.

For the third point, I believe that it is another traitor, and not necessarily the female titan in human form. To prepare clothes, she would have needed to place it somewhere where she can access it, and which she could have worn it, but it seems unlikely with the hood and cape. Also, every time Eren transforms, he loses his 3D gear. Hence, if she has 3D gear, she would have stashed it somewhere in the forest, assuming she knew that they would end up in the forest. So yeah, I think this traitor is a different person.

Either way, this episode was exciting. If the titans were ignoring the corp, I wonder why they didn't just chase after them and cut them down? So does this mean that the female titan cannot control the normal titans, and they all chase human titans regardless of who is inside? Or did she specifically give them all a command when she yelled?

Maybe, but let's not forget that Eren is just a beginner at transformation. He can't even harden his skin yet so it is possible that whoever FT is, she can keep the 3D gear.

Also without 3D Gear, I can't picture her escaping hord of Titans unless I'm missing something.

But it would be cool if it was a team of spies.

2nd season wise I'm sure we'll have it but I think it is a bit too soon. This season will take up to about 32 chapters and we only have 48 so far. Not enough for another 2 cour.

DuelGundam2099 2013-08-24 22:00

[snip]
Quote:

2nd season wise I'm sure we'll have it but I think it is a bit too soon. This season will take up to about 32 chapters and we only have 48 so far. Not enough for another 2 cour.
Then make it one course, problem solved.:cool:

kitten320 2013-08-24 22:04

Even though I know who FT is, I don't understand how mythology plays a role here.

Could you possible message it to me?

paladinenvec 2013-08-24 23:58

Hmm i think that the chapter was really good, the pacing was fine i wonder why people thought that it was feeling slow, to me at the very least it was fine, probably a matter of tastes maybe?.

Gravitas Free Zone 2013-08-25 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by paladinenvec (Post 4805580)
Hmm i think that the chapter was really good, the pacing was fine i wonder why people thought that it was feeling slow, to me at the very least it was fine, probably a matter of tastes maybe?.

For me, it was that the show went from "We just captured the Female Titan! Let's find out who is inside!" to ten minutes of all of the other characters just standing there while they puzzled out Erwin's thought processes. The previous episode reached a climax, the tension from which was not really dissipated normally. (An alliterative term involving the color blue comes to mind.) For a couple of minutes while the talking heads were going on, I thought that maybe they were just building up more tension by having the characters relax, and then there would be a surprise attack, but after a couple of more minutes it was just more talking... and then still more talking on top of that.

I recognize that it was important to have the other characters get into Erwin's head a bit, but... I waited a week for them to try to crack open the Female Titan, and I got fifteen minutes of talking heads first.

peskylemur25 2013-08-25 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst (Post 4805598)
For me, it was that the show went from "We just captured the Female Titan! Let's find out who is inside!" to ten minutes of all of the other characters just standing there while they puzzled out Erwin's thought processes. The previous episode reached a climax, the tension from which was not really dissipated normally. (An alliterative term involving the color blue comes to mind.) For a couple of minutes while the talking heads were going on, I thought that maybe they were just building up more tension by having the characters relax, and then there would be a surprise attack, but after a couple of more minutes it was just more talking... and then still more talking on top of that.

I recognize that it was important to have the other characters get into Erwin's head a bit, but... I waited a week for them to try to crack open the Female Titan, and I got fifteen minutes of talking heads first.

I think we got a lot of character development for commander Erwin from all the conversations because it prove he a great leader and a wonderful strategist. We also learn he was willing to do anything to improve mankind change of survival no matter the cost.

MrTerrorist 2013-08-25 01:31

Intense episode!

Erwin's plan to capture the Female Titan/mole was a success.
Too bad he didn't count on the Female to give a call for the other Titans to come and eat her.
And now that mole is attacking Levi's squad.

Parchevich 2013-08-25 02:44

Quote:

She might have scavenged an uniform and maneuver gear from one of the dead. It's not like the RC would have had the time or ability to gather and bring all corpses back with them.

NoemiChan 2013-08-25 02:55

Episode 20

Back to plan A... what a disaster.... She's no Titan! She's a mutant!!!!

Kakurin 2013-08-25 03:01

Quote:

This has already been mentioned, but Eren's just a beginner. This female titan person seems to be much more adept at using the form, so perhaps she can transform while keeping the gear intact. As for the clothes, she either could have scavenged the cape, or just prepared it beforehand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyZone (Post 4805340)
So next episode we will finally, for the first time, see a 3DMG vs 3DMG fight? Interesting. Eren's 3DMG titan kill count is still 0 though.

If that hidden person is the female titan I think she will transform again. She has much more of an advantage in titan form than in human form against some of the best members of the recon squad without the element of surprise.

lateraldeath 2013-08-25 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by zRichard (Post 4805377)
>Mikasa mentioned that Armin predicted that Eren was in the mid-back of the formation, yet I don't believe she met up with Armin at any point in the expedition.

That wouldn't be such a glaring plot hole if the line hadn't been so badly translated.

Manga fan-TLd version is: "Armin's supposed to be to be around the back of the central rows, and Eren is likely to be, uh... Where was it again?"

Unfortunately, the anime translation wasn't wrong. Mikasa really did say "Didn't Armin mention Eren was in the center rear?" She said the exact same words in the Raw Japanese version of the manga as well. So it's actually the manga translation that was wrong. This is a plot hole. In consequential, but a plot hole.

ookamigirl 2013-08-25 06:27

Feels like they're wasting too much time on the road.
It should be about time they arrived to that basement.
And now they even took a break in the forest..
The idea of a spy among them seems plausible enough.
Wonder who it'll turn out to be in the end.
The female titan's strategy was rather shocking.
Even more shocking was the appearance of the traitor.

frodonk 2013-08-25 06:36

prepare your maneuver gear, these commanders are somehow psychic :D

this would mean that levi would be fighting FT sometime soon. and to be fair, this episode was titled "Erwin Smith". so all those people talking about him seems appropriate.

it was interesting to see the titan's herd instincts. from the start I was thinking that they were just machines on autopilot, but it looks like they could learn, like climbing trees, and then with just 1 scream from another titan they become abnormal and go after that titan.

AntonKutovoi 2013-08-25 07:13

After this episode I consider Erwin to be the best Daisuke Ono's role so far (well, at least until Stardust Crusaders shall be animated). Great commander's voice

Paranoid Android 2013-08-25 10:28

I really liked the Titan's scream. It sounded terrible; like how a book would describe a sound that could make everyone shiver in fear.

There's too much worthless chat imo. Most of the episode seems wasted.

yankky5 2013-08-25 10:35

Man, the hwacha certainly is cool if they ever beat the titans maybe the survey corp can have a healthy life style of hunting whales if they ever reach the sea..... anyway as I said this before but screw them for having no two way radio!!

BoyTitan 2013-08-25 10:38

Quote:

Maybe she just ate some one with 3DMG titans don't digest what they eat remember :v.

ReddyRedWolf 2013-08-25 10:54

I have to bring this out of my chest...

Levi you ass! You had to just provoke the Female Titan indulging in schadenfreude.

Now the operation messed up in more ways than I can count. You just had to taunt Murphy!

chaos_alfa 2013-08-25 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf (Post 4806106)
I have to bring this out of my chest...

Levi you ass! You had to just provoke the Female Titan indulging in schadenfreude.

Now the operation messed up in more ways than I can count. You just had to taunt Murphy!

He had to try to get her out of the titan somehow. It could have convinced her to get out of the titan to try to escape.

peskylemur25 2013-08-25 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 4806067)
I really liked the Titan's scream. It sounded terrible; like how a book would describe a sound that could make everyone shiver in fear.

There's too much worthless chat imo. Most of the episode seems wasted.

I believe attack on titan isn't just a series based on fighting. It a mystery and action manga at the same time. And yes it a pain to wait for it weekly but each episode make us wanting more, thus it a good anime.

lateraldeath 2013-08-25 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by frodonk (Post 4805868)
it was interesting to see the titan's herd instincts. from the start I was thinking that they were just machines on autopilot, but it looks like they could learn, like climbing trees, and then with just 1 scream from another titan they become abnormal and go after that titan.

I guess this episode puts the ep 18 discussion about humans living on trees to rest. :P

richardtengcy 2013-08-25 11:59

I`m pretty mindfuck that Nanaba is a female in the anime cuz i`m pretty sure in the manga that this character is a male.

chaos_alfa 2013-08-25 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardtengcy (Post 4806183)
I`m pretty mindfuck that Nanaba is a female in the anime cuz i`m pretty sure in the manga that this character is a male.

The Shingeki no Kyojin Wikia says Nanaba is a female.