AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=5070)

Lucier 2004-01-17 13:03

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue

Ep1 aired! =D

Personally, I loved it... ^_^
What do other's think?

Hopefully a subbed version will be out soon so non-japanese speaking ppl can enjoy it too =)

here's some screenshots:

(I tried to pick with no spoilers first one's from the intro)

http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph01.jpg
http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph02.jpg
http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph03.jpg
http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph04.jpg
http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph05.jpg
http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph06.jpg
http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph07.jpg
http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph08.jpg
http://lunaranime.org/Daphne/Daph09.jpg

(edit: added some pictures)

brightman 2004-01-17 13:19

I've only seen its website, but the large female cast makes it look like just about every other new anime this month... :heh: And I have no idea what its about... So what IS it about?

Lucier 2004-01-17 13:36

Spoiler:

wao 2004-01-17 19:42

Comparing it to KGNE eh.... looks like if it gets subbed I'm going on another urban-life-messed-up-story ride. :D

Lucier 2004-01-17 21:20

well, it's not a drama like KGNE >.>
I was just comparing that it to kgne because it's really harsh to some of the characters...
it's that 'emotial' aspect... where you get tied to the character that I really enjoy =D

SwiftStar 2004-01-18 19:20

Does anyone have a link. I cant seem to find one so could some kind soul post it, unless of course it's licensed then nevermind.

wao 2004-01-19 06:51

I think it's not been subbed yet. A raw may be found on anime.mircx.com ... or somewhere like that. You got to look back a few days.

Lucier 2004-01-19 10:44

I'll post up some pictures from it so people can see =D
(adding them to my first post)

note:
The subs are from my translation, which should be out tommarow =)

*Encourages everyone to go watch!

EmptySoul 2004-01-19 11:59

Hmm... That looks like a really nice series, dame. >_< How is it that I didnt even know we were doing it lol. Oh well. It looks really nice, I'll be downloading it as well. ^_^ I hope it's as good as kgne. I trust your judgement. Nice screenshots btw.

daemoness 2004-01-19 16:04

Woot!

This one looks good, and yay to Lunar for having such good taste, I seem to like all the shows you sub. :)

brightman 2004-01-20 00:57

Hmm... The character designs is by Kazunori Iwakura who also did JCStaff's other anime (Ai Yori Aoshi, Gunparade March), but it looks quite different... It's supposed to be based on Satoshi Shiki's original designs (he did the mangas Riot and Kamikaze)... It definitely looks interesting.

Danny Boy 2004-01-20 03:20

Aha, so this is the 2nd top secret series. I've just started downloading it.

footy 2004-01-20 03:35

So far it looks pretty good, though now I can't wait for the next episode. I like the character designs; they're unique while still looking sharp. J.C. Staff has been really busy this anime season, but it's good to see that animation quality is high on all of their series. Catchy opening song, interesting story elements unfolding, attractive women, lots to like with this show. :)

Official site:

http://www.thedaphne.jp/

Lucier 2004-01-20 04:12

Ep 1's out now =)

Grab it in our chan (#lunaranime @ irc.mircx.com)
scarywater's currently down, so no BT till they recover.

brightman 2004-01-20 10:04

Heh, Ep 1 was certainly great... You can't have a longer day than what Maia had... :heh: The ending just caps it off.

The costumes though can't get any smaller, can they?

EmptySoul 2004-01-20 10:09

Hmm... I'll have to watch this. It looks very interesting. I hope it's good. *will post after watching and say what he thinks* ^_^

Leo_Otaku 2004-01-20 10:22

Do they all wear skimmy outfits like the website or is it like an anime for males ^-^" and what genre is it, like is is action and so on.

EmptySoul 2004-01-20 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
Do they all wear skimmy outfits like the website or is it like an anime for males ^-^" and what genre is it, like is is action and so on.

From those outfits in the screenshots above it doesnt look ecchi to me. Just looks normal... almost looks like another schoolgirl anime to me. I'm not sure yet though.

brightman 2004-01-20 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku

From what I see it'll probably develop into an action anime. And yes the people wear EXTREMELY skimpy outfits (their lower pieces literally just "hangs on"... Or maybe they were painted on... I honestly can't tell :heh: )

But neverthless, if Ep 1 is any indication, this production staff can definitely put out a good show...

wao 2004-01-20 10:40

Seems to be interesting - nice way of cliffhanging the episode really. Of course we know Maia won't die but... it's very interesting. I feel quite sorry for Maia really... there must be some kind of conspiracy behind her not being able to get in...

The character designs are pretty good - the animation's nice, bg's nice, effects are nice (the underwater part was beautiful.).

Only thing I have is that... damn, they didn't have to make those suits SO skimpy.... it's almost pr0nographic. >_>;;;;;;;;;

Thanks for subbing it, Lunar. It's a good job, and the karaoke is just the way I like it - simple and uncluttered.

DemonEye 2004-01-20 11:07

It looked really interesting. I think I will follow this one and see what happens.
The futuristic design is great. The skimpy suits is a bit too much maybe but hey, if it dosn't mess up the story or the serie itself, why complain.

SidSavage 2004-01-20 13:24

After watching the first episode, this looks like good escapist fun.
I thought the animation was okay. Nothing too spectacular.

This series also has tons of typical anime caricatures.

Just by watching the opening alone, we have the spirited newbie, the sexy oni-san, the clumsy geek, the gun-toting chick, and the disciplined martial artist.

I mean we can have betting pools to see who will be strict with Maia, who will be critical of her, and who will console her! :heh:

Still, there's nothing like sun, surf, & swimsuits to help you get through another dismal day of reality. :naughty:

davFunereal 2004-01-20 18:52

I didn't like it but I'll keep watching..

Kamui4356 2004-01-21 01:49

I haven't decided on this series yet. It could go either way. I'll have to see how they continue things in ep 2 before I make up my mind. I do find it hard to believe that the student with the higest scores on the first 2 tests could have not been accepted. Unless she completely bombed the interview, but it didn't seem like she did. :confused:

wraith985 2004-01-21 02:24

Personally, I can't wait to see how this story unfolds; episode 1 has got me hooked. Conspiracy sounds tasty to me. If this just develops into another action anime, I think I'll be OK with that too, though I would prefer a drama.

In any case, good job to Lunar for picking yet another good show to sub!

Kensuke 2004-01-21 08:39

I hope they will stay on drama, althought little action is not bad.
So far (after first episode) this looks very promising.

I too liked futuristic look. Why are they still using paper money and coins? I would have tought that when you have cars that levitate, you can pay anything with credit card or cell phone. :D

Those suits... very ecchi, but besides that, nothing more than what you can expect anime today.

NoSanninWa 2004-01-21 17:33

Yeah, between the swimsuits and all the water I couldn't help thinking of Agent Aika. :heh: Thankfully it was several orders of magnitude better than that pantyfest.

JediNight 2004-01-21 17:43

I enjoyed it so far as well, but I agree that Ep1 seemed very forced. They purposely totally over-heap abuse on the main character to drive into our skulls pity for her...

My one major gripe though is the over-the-top fanservice in parts with the swimsuits and huge ass shots. It seems like Daphne will be another one of those series where they come up with a really nice drama plot which could stand fine on its own -- and they toss in a bunch of overdone fanservice which kind of taints the show. But I guess they're afraid it won't sell as well without fanservice.

Mephisto03 2004-01-21 17:44

As much as I like women in nothing, I find what they wear to be stupid and a turn off cause its not needed. They could be wearing just regular skimpy outfits and look alot better imo. I'm going to watch it cause it looks really good all together but honestly what there wear is stupid.

Apath 2004-01-21 21:35

I started watching after reading Lucier's description in the spoiler tag, thinking "What the hell were they talking about? This looks happy." I guess I should have known better. It looks really good, I'll be stickin' with it. I really like the character design as well.

marin 2004-01-22 02:11

Okay, on seeing those outfits I was totally thinking "OMG it's Aeon Flux with actual curves and cute character designs!"

So yeah, the AE outfits are totally out of place and it's kinda too bad you can feel the show going down that sentai super team road because you know the heroine and all those other characters are going to end up FIGHTING CRIME IN SKIMPY OUTFITS

Because otherwise the melodrama in this episode was pretty nifty actually, sorta like a less cutsey and warmhearted Fruits Basket, and the way it's topped off by getting shot was just perfect... I mean, wow, that is a bad day!

So yeah, too bad it won't continue that way...

Prince of Chronics 2004-01-22 02:31

This show was alright still! cuz fanservice is always nice! regardless of the silly story (imo)... I'm lookin forward to the the guaranteed (hopefully) violence and fanservice in future eps! Cuz the opening track and intro got me to watch the full show in the first place... imo, there seemed to be good potential for a great deal of violence to occur later in the series judging by the intro (the hand to hand and the gat fights to come!)... :D

Keitaro 2004-01-22 04:18

lol I can't believe they actually shot her or did they. Ep1 was great, looking forward to ep2. Wow what a cliffhangar in the first episode it certainly caught my attention.

wao 2004-01-22 09:18

Regarding the bad things: I suppose all the bad things happening in one day is because they didn't want to drag it out too long; the bad things probably isn't the point of the show, unlike in SaiKano... this one just has a bunch of really shitty things happening in one day (how long can you stretch one day anyway? And it is possible that all those things happened in one day... these things do happen... ;))

Regarding those, IMO, ridiculous outfits: While I won't jump to conclusions yet about those outfits, I have a feeling the show might end up going the wrong way... Too much fanservice can ruin the show for many people. If you want your fanservice and hentai you can always read doujinshi or extra images, but it doesn't have to be all in the show... if you need to resort to fanservice to attract viewers, that doesn't really say much about the show's plot and such, does it? Just wondering - this is set in the future right? Maybe it's hinting at how society gets more and more... revealing ;)

I hope she goes through more trials and tribulations! I love it when that happens...

Ansible 2004-01-22 11:18

I'm thinking that at this point there are a couple of possibilities for further plot development:

1) she scored so high that she was accepted to some uber-secret ocean institute agency (ie the Pantsless Crimefighting League or somehting) instead of the regular ocean institute and they haven't let her know yet.

2) she'll end up working for the PCL because of being shot for some reason, like she becomes aware of the existence of the PCL and applies for a job, or whatever. Or they become aware of her and her high scores. Probably she'll turn out to be a better shot that that red haired chick.

Anyway, those outfits are the most insane thing I've seen in an anime for awhile. I mean, come on! I'm going to keep watching despite the silliness, while the episode started a little slow by the end I was pretty absorbed and ready for episode 2. Thanks Lunar!

Lucier 2004-01-23 02:32

I just watched ep2...
and I want ep 3 *NOW*...
I'm not sure why yet, but this series REALLY draws me in...

As for the ep, it really suprised me... I expected some of it, but some stuff was a suprise =)

Spoiler:

Keitaro 2004-01-23 02:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucier
I just watched ep2...
and I want ep 3 *NOW*...
I'm not sure why yet, but this series REALLY draws me in...

As for the ep, it really suprised me... I expected some of it, but some stuff was a suprise =)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

stormy001_M1A2 2004-01-23 02:53

hmmmm, if my daughter in future wear something like this, I will be chapereon her all the time.

NoSanninWa 2004-01-23 03:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Lucier 2004-01-23 04:30

Spoiler: