AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Gundam AGE General Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=99560)

MakubeX2 2010-12-04 02:58

Gundam AGE General Discussion Thread

Okawa hinted at new Gundam Series on Twitter :-

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/5...1381478105.jpg

Official Announcement in March :-

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5904/1291431318527.jpg

So we should be seeing the next TV series sometime next Summer.

PS:-

I'm not too kin on Okawa returning as mecha designer for a new series after looking at how he recycle his design on SeeD. Though I admit that his design being able to sell as model kits.

aeriolewinters 2010-12-04 03:01

Let the speculation begin...I doubt it's a CE series though. I'd wonder which two letters will marry and become a new timeline.

GN0010 Nosferatu 2010-12-04 03:18

Okawara spills the beans eh? That's awesome. :D

jonli 2010-12-04 04:21

Okawara again eh...don't know how I feel about that either. The man's done a few really good designs, but his CE stuff are some of the most atrocious things I've seen in Gundam.

I hope Okawara coming back doesn't mean CE is back as a series, because I was seriously expecting it to either fade out of obscurity or come back as a movie not a series.

Maybe it's going to be a new Wing series?

GN0010 Nosferatu 2010-12-04 04:24

SEED is far too dead to be resurrected at this point, 00 has finished and UC has Gundam Unicorn. I'm gonna bet that it's a new AU series.

Just because Okawara is back, doesn't mean it's SEED or Wing.

MakubeX2 2010-12-04 04:37

The bigwigs loves Okawara because he pushes out designs that are easy to draw, animate and sculpt.

Then it's up to the director of the series to choreograph action sequences which will bait the naive in.

But yah, you know that guy is running out of ideas after what we have seen of the Extreme.

GN0010 Nosferatu 2010-12-04 04:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakubeX2 (Post 3375660)
The bigwigs loves Okawara because he pushes out designs that are easy to draw, animate and sculpt.

Then it's up to the director of the series to choreograph action sequences which will bait the naive in.

But yah, you know that guy is running out of ideas after what we have seen of the Extreme.

Maybe since he's back for a new series, he has some good ones again.:p

brightman 2010-12-04 08:16

Well, just because he's working on the project, doesn't mean he's going to be the main mecha designer... The man's worked on every single Gundam TV series since Victory after all.

Of course, I tend to be an optimistic guy. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakubeX2 (Post 3375660)

People have been saying that he's running out of ideas for the entire time I've been in this board, at the very least.

jonli 2010-12-04 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman (Post 3375817)
Well, just because he's working on the project, doesn't mean he's going to be the main mecha designer... The man's worked on every single Gundam TV series since Victory after all.

Of course, I tend to be an optimistic guy. :p

People have been saying that he's running out of ideas for the entire time I've been in this board, at the very least.

I agree, but that's because I joined this forum when Seed started. Then when they started to introduce Okawara's designs in the latter half of the series...it just....sigh...

Kusa-San 2010-12-04 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu (Post 3375646)
SEED is far too dead to be resurrected at this point, 00 has finished and UC has Gundam Unicorn. I'm gonna bet that it's a new AU series.

Just because Okawara is back, doesn't mean it's SEED or Wing.

Far too dead ? There's still a movie and Seed charcaters are still the most popular gundam character. So no, it's not dead at all.

I hope it's a new serie in the CE universe but before that, I want my movie :upset:

wingzerosnuggles 2010-12-04 10:05

Doesn't the head writer for SEED have cancer or something? That's why the movie was scrapped?

JC... 2010-12-04 11:05

Maybe if it's a good Seed series I might get into that timeline more...

Wouldn't be suprised if it's Astray.

Rickketik 2010-12-04 11:42

Quote:

As if that's a bad thing. :eyebrow: A Complex design doesn't equal originality. Simplicity almost always dose, because there is usually no other way.

and most of Okawara work aren't all that simple to begin with, compared to other designers from this industry.

Deacon Blues 2010-12-04 12:06

No, his designs are pretty simplistic and generic all around. They're nothing but rehashes of the same stuff.

LightMaster 2010-12-04 13:21

Don't suppose Fukuda has a twitter...? Please let him let something slip, milk your fateful CE fans bandai, we've been waiting forever :mad:

GN0010 Nosferatu 2010-12-04 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kusa-San (Post 3375882)
Far too dead ? There's still a movie and Seed charcaters are still the most popular gundam character. So no, it's not dead at all.

I hope it's a new serie in the CE universe but before that, I want my movie :upset:

No...it's dead...or maybe that word is too harsh. The SEED series is more or less "finished".

This new series will be a brand new AU entry, you'll see.

jonli 2010-12-04 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickketik (Post 3375992)
As if that's a bad thing. :eyebrow: A Complex design doesn't equal originality. Simplicity almost always dose, because there is usually no other way.

and most of Okawara work aren't all that simple to begin with, compared to other designers from this industry.

I would agree with the whole simple is clean, less is more ideology...usually. But this really doesn't apply to Okawara...at least not now.

Impulse, which is an extreme bastardization of the Strike design. Extremely hideous with a ridiculous combination gimmick that's so stupid they didn't even try. It's basically just...literally...splitting the gundam into three parts...no transformation required. Then his PS armor changes to different colors which are ridiculously ugly...I mean look at Launcher Impulse (forgot his real name)....what the hell is up with that color scheme oh my god.

Then here comes Destiny, the title mech of the series. It's a real freaking shame that its the title mech and you can tell almost no design philosophy or thought went through his mind when he designed poor Destiny. Destiny doesn't even look like a "complete" Mobile Suit, he just looks like a chimera of different gimmicks stuffed into one. First they gave him all the Strike packs, then gave him all the special gimmicks that OTHER main Gundams sported in their OWN series...such as Shinning Finger, Wings of Light and F91's mirage images. Like...wow they didn't even try with this guy. It's a real shame too since Destiny's face is actually quite original in Gundam designs (with the tears on his eyes and all that) but the rest of him is just complete utter crap.

Don't tell me they are homages to older series, that's just a poor excuse. When you want to do an homage you can do it with style and thought like Trans-Am in 00 as an homage to Char. Don't even get me started on Raider, Forbidden, and all the other ugly crap. As much as I dislike Seed I actually agree that there are plenty of beautiful designs from CE....but I guarantee you most of the sexy ones didn't come from Okawara.

GN0010 Nosferatu 2010-12-04 14:47

I've been rewatching Wing and checking out Gundam X, and I certainly don't mind that Okawara is returning. Always liked his stuff. Except for the eye sore ZOIDS in SEED, but that's just ONE thing I don't like.

wingzerosnuggles 2010-12-04 15:11

Lol, Sunrise seems so eager to retcon Okawara's designs in favor of Katoki's for Wing though. xD With this new manga, it's like he never designed Wing Gundam.

Rickketik 2010-12-04 16:42

Quote:

No, his designs are pretty simplistic and generic all around. They're nothing but rehashes of the same stuff.
I don't see it. Most of his stuff has lots of unnecessary elements in their design. so I can't call his style 'simple'. And yes, he reuses a lot of element's from his previous work. most artist do tho.

Quote:

I would agree with the whole simple is clean, less is more ideology...usually. But this really doesn't apply to Okawara...at least not now.
I already pointed that out, most of Okawara work aren't all that simple..

Quote:

Impulse, which is an extreme bastardization of the Strike design. Extremely hideous with a ridiculous combination gimmick that's so stupid they didn't even try. It's basically just...literally...splitting the gundam into three parts...no transformation required. Then his PS armor changes to different colors which are ridiculously ugly...I mean look at Launcher Impulse (forgot his real name)....what the hell is up with that color scheme oh my god.
You have to keep in mind that Impulse has to make sense inside the CE storyline. Impulse is supposed to be based on Strike so of course it needs to look like Strike and Okawara has to keep that in mind while working on the designs.

And it's not like Okawara can draw whatever he wants. Artists who get paid to do stuff don't always have 100% creative control, especially on such big projects like Gundam. And I've heard that Fukuda likes to get involved in all the different processes. For example, Destiny's design was supposed to be Fukuda's idea, the design was originally meant for Freedom.