AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Outlaw Star (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=37270)

Xellos-_^ 2006-10-13 00:03

Outlaw Star

I been re-watching Outlaw star this week and I am reminded of what a good series this is. I just finish Ep20 "Cats and Girls and Spaceships" and i am struck by how different this series is form almost any other show out there.

Spoiler:

This ep impress me so much that I just had to post it. Really glad i start re-watching my older anime collection. It is going to be while befire i start watching anything new with so much so old stuff on my shelf.

lommm 2006-10-13 00:07

and the music in that episode is so great also! it's all that blues-y harminica! so sad! :( but so great!!

that's the best of the "one-off" type of episodes in the series (ie, the eps that aren't exactly furthering the overall plot of who is after Jim and his brother)

RyoSaeba 2006-10-13 08:59

Definitely a fine series. I haven't watched it in about three years but I've been rewatching it since I got in the remastered Japanese boxset. It's definitely one I need to rewatch more often.

Karnot 2006-10-13 10:48

Not only its a good anime, but it is also an absolutely typical Sunrise produced show, as well as absolutely typical 90s show.

Runningkid 2006-10-15 03:29

i loved this anime so much! apparantly angels link is set in the sam,e universe.. is this true?

Guardian Enzo 2006-10-15 11:31

Great to see an OS mention - I love this show. It was one of the first anime I really threw myself into. Also loved "Cats, Girls and Spaceships" - the best ep in the series, IMO.

Xellos-_^ 2006-10-15 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningkid (Post 707281)
i loved this anime so much! apparantly angels link is set in the sam,e universe.. is this true?

Yup, Fred Lou show up in cameo in the first ep and 2 of the AL character were in Outlaw Star. Althought exactly when in the timeline the 2 series coexist i have no idea. Althought if Gene had seen MeiFeng's Melon...pan he probably would have die form excessive loss of blood :p

Too bad a couple of years back the firector was interview and he said they plans for 2nd Outlaw Star series but was scrapped by the company :mad:

RyoSaeba 2006-10-15 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ (Post 707585)
Too bad a couple of years back the firector was interview and he said they plans for 2nd Outlaw Star series but was scrapped by the company :mad:

With no funding it's pretty much impossible to make more. From what I remember reading Sunrise was reluctant to fund more Outlaw Star since it did rather mediocre in Japan and they ended up losing money on it. Though I was amazed about the fact that Bandai Visual was doing a remastered release when it was first announced in April so maybe if that sold well enough that maybe they'd warm up to funding more.

lommm 2006-10-15 15:57

yeah, this sold much better in the US than in Japan... i think it was due to Cartoon Network. they aired it a long time ago and the English dub was actually much better than most... though all American dubs sound too happy and upbeat to me... let the animation and story be exciting, don't force it with the voices...

reloaded 2007-01-10 12:33

Outlaw Star is undoubtedly one of my favourite animes, its sad when animes end tho i really wished that they would do another series

Forbin 2007-01-10 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by reloaded (Post 795231)
Outlaw Star is undoubtedly one of my favourite animes, its sad when animes end tho i really wished that they would do another series

They did! It's called Angel Links. But it's not about Gene and it's honestly not all that good.

It's really about Big boobs and swords.

reloaded 2007-01-10 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forbin (Post 795255)
They did! It's called Angel Links. But it's not about Gene and it's honestly not all that good.

It's really about Big boobs and swords.

It aint the same if its not about gene tho thats stupid, its lyk making a new dragonball series and hercule being the main character....not good

Honeyman 2007-01-14 06:28

Yes, to watch Outlaw Star again is like revisiting a good old friend. Everytime I watch it I really enjoy how the story unfolds, the characters, the settings, the music and the different types of battles.

Oh, if only Sunrise would make another show as good as this (not that Sunrise don't make good shows and if Gundam allows them to get and use that money, then roll on the next Gundam rendition!)

reloaded 2007-01-15 19:35

Outlaw star is different from lots other shows its just different in a much more positive sense i dont think there will be another anime like it i do miss it alot

PatPeter 2007-01-17 23:09

Was Outlaw Star continued past Ep 26?

Outlaw Star was made to be continued, you can just tell if you watch the ending and pay attention to things.

But yes I heard a rumor a while back about a continuation where they changed the name and storyline, but it has the same organizations and weapons and the like.

Guardian Enzo 2008-05-19 13:27

Watching the remastered 20 ("Cats, Girls and Spaceships") today for some reason ;) put me in mind once again how much I loved this series generally, and that ep specifically. It's one of my "formative" series and no matter how long I can go without thinking about it, I always love it when something does pull me back in. Too bad OS2 never saw fruition - there was so much more that could have been mined from these characters.

Jiyuu 2008-05-20 02:07

how is the remastered versus the original?

Guardian Enzo 2008-05-20 18:23

Just cleaner video and better sound, no content changes that I'm aware of. Still, OS has never looked or sounded better, and dor as much thunder and lightning as the show produced, that makes a difference.

sayde 2008-05-20 23:20

I know this is kind of off topic, but does anyone know the name of the song that plays during the 1st episode and the "hot springs of planet Tenrei" episode?

In the first episode, it plays while Gene is staring out a window after sleeping with some prostitute.

It plays again as the wizards who've made the caster rounds witness Gene leaving the planet Tenrei with the rest of the crew.

I'm sure the song is played a few more times throughout the series, but that's all the comes to mind at the moment. After going through every song on the ost, I can't seem to find it. So if anyone can confirm whether or not this is just an unreleased track, I'd appreciate it.

Last but not least, roughly when were the remastered episodes released?

Guardian Enzo 2008-05-20 23:23

I want to say late '06 or so.

Ah, the Hot Springs ep... I'll never forget how Cartoon Network didn't air it because it was "inappropriate".