AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sword Art Online (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Sword Art Online / Accel World Connections & Comparisons (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113258)

Rennir 2012-07-09 11:48

Mod Edit: I split this conversation from the Episode 1 thread. This will likely be a recurring topic of conversation throughout the series, and this is the thread where you can compare these two works by the same author. Please be civilized and don't bash one work or another. Support your points with real arguments. If you will be comparing from the novels, please use spoiler tags.

Original post follows, re-joining discussion in progress...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninryu (Post 4246187)
This is what Accel World wishes it could be. I watched only one episode so far, and I already love it.
The animation was beautiful and the backgrounds were simply gorgeous.The characters design looked exactly like in the novel.

As a MMO player myself, I find the premise terrifying, especially since I'm such a bad gamer.

Actually, I would say that Accel World contains superior technology than SAO, and is actually the next step up after SAO. In AW, VR is intertwined with reality and people can access VR any time, any place provided they have BB installed. NervGear is limited by the fact that it's not mobile like the technology in AW is (And really, who wants to be walking around with a big helmet on their head anyways? :heh:). There's also the fact that SAO takes place before AW...

ninryu 2012-07-09 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennir (Post 4246477)
Actually, I would say that Accel World contains superior technology than SAO, and is actually the next step up after SAO. In AW, VR is intertwined with reality and people can access VR any time, any place provided they have BB installed. NervGear is limited by the fact that it's not mobile like the technology in AW is (And really, who wants to be walking around with a big helmet on their head anyways? :heh:). There's also the fact that SAO takes place before AW...

I'm not talking about technology, I'm talking about PLOT. Which Accel World sadly lacks.

hero147 2012-07-09 11:55

[mod edit: removed conversation from original thread]

I had to drop Accel World for aesthetic reasons. Shallow yes, but I couldn't stand the main character. Did not like his chubby animation and his personality really did not make up for it.

Rennir 2012-07-09 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninryu (Post 4246481)
I'm not talking about technology, I'm talking about PLOT. Which Accel World sadly lacks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding then. I still disagree with your point. Perhaps you could point out some examples?

Kaioshin Sama 2012-07-09 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennir (Post 4246477)

Yeah Accel World is to the 3DS as SAO is to the virtual boy. :heh: Plus the acceleration ability is a nice bonus and has many practical real life uses. I'm not going to lie I'd love to be able to do that and play games at the same time, it's like the ultimate gamer's empowerment fantasy, whereas I would definitely not want to be trapped in SAO having to fight my way out, which is probably the utlimate gamers nightmare. Like I said quite different stories and takes on the pros and cons of where gaming could be headed at some point in the future, with an obviously fantastical twist.

Yeah though this is because Accel World takes place like 50 years from now whereas I think SAO is only 10 years in the future. Lot of time to make massive technological leaps and honestly I'd swear almost plausible in some fashion if technology really is advancing as fast as people like Sony claim. At least more plausible than some people might argue.

Quote:

Ummm no not really from what I've seen of it. If you've actually watched the show you'd know it has plenty of plot and character development as well as a ton of backstory. Are you sure you actually watched Accel World? Also this show has barely even gotten off the ground, how can you even begin to say it has much of a plot going on. It's been pretty much pure exposition and setup with this episode. I wish people wouldn't jump the gun so much and allow the story to actually go somewhere before making these sweeping generalizations about what the show does or doesn't have.

Suzuku 2012-07-09 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama (Post 4246498)
Lot of time to make massive technological leaps and honestly I'd swear almost plausible in some fashion if technology really is advancing as fast as people like Sony claim. At least more plausible than some people might argue.

Yeah just compare where we were 20 years ago to where we are now. It's incredible how fast this new technology is evolving. We've made more technological leaps in the past 20 years than we have in the entire history of humanity. Hell, we're already starting to dip our toes into AR stuff with Project Glass and Microsoft's upcoming Forenza...

kyp275 2012-07-09 12:25

Quote:

Ummm no not really from what I've seen of it. If you've actually watched the show you'd know it has plenty of plot and character development as well as a ton of backstory. Are you sure you actually watched Accel World? Also this show has barely even gotten off the ground, how can you even begin to say it has much of a plot going on. It's been pretty much pure exposition and setup with this episode. I wish people wouldn't jump the gun so much and allow the story to actually go somewhere before making these sweeping generalizations about what the show does or doesn't have.

Aye, while AO and SAO share some similar elements, they're really two different kinds of stories.

Dark Wing 2012-07-09 12:26

Quote:

Okay no just no...Accel world has just as much plot, character interaction and development as SAO. We've already had 2 story arcs and getting into the 3rd so tell me how is there no plot?

ninryu 2012-07-09 12:31

Quote:

Yeah Accel World is to the 3DS as SAO is to the virtual boy. :heh: Plus the acceleration ability is a nice bonus and has many practical real life uses. I'm not going to lie I'd love to be able to do that and play games at the same time, it's like the ultimate gamer's empowerment fantasy, whereas I would definitely not want to be trapped in SAO having to fight my way out, which is probably the utlimate gamers nightmare. Like I said quite different stories and takes on the pros and cons of where gaming could be headed at some point in the future, with an obviously fantastical twist.

Yeah though this is because Accel World takes place like 50 years from now whereas I think SAO is only 10 years in the future. Lot of time to make massive technological leaps and honestly I'd swear almost plausible in some fashion if technology really is advancing as fast as people like Sony claim. At least more plausible than some people might argue.

Yes, I am watching Accel World. AW is wasting it's potential on stupid moe and ecchi comedy instead of plot and characters development. It's not bad, just very disappointing for me as a sci-fi nerd.

kyp275 2012-07-09 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninryu (Post 4246567)
Yes, I am watching Accel World. AW is wasting it's potential on stupid moe and ecchi comedy instead of plot and characters development. It's not bad, just very disappointing for me as a sci-fi nerd.

Well.... to be fair the beginning of AW is its weakest part, the main story doesn't really pick it 'til later.

[mod edit: removed conversation from the other thread]

Kaioshin Sama 2012-07-09 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninryu (Post 4246567)

This will be my last word on this matter since as mentioned above this isn't the thread for comparsion and I'm actually trying to show why trying to strike a defining comparsion with AW is kind of pointless right now. Yes it definitely has some of those aspects, but they are hardly the major focus. Also could it not just be that it has had more episodes so it's actually had the time to spend on some more lighthearted fanservice type stuff. I will be very surprised if SAO doesn't have at least some fanservice and moe characters looking at some of the character designs for the females and I'd be willing to place money on Kirito having a bit of a harem of his own by the time this show is where Accel World is. And why should that be held against it anyway if the characters are still interesting.

Again I can't stress quite enough the difference between a full cour of episodes and one single opening episode.

Utsuro no Hako 2012-07-09 18:49

For the record, here's the illustration for the SAO/AW crossover:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c...00/SAOVSAW.jpg

Looks like Kirito's thinking, "Mmm, tonkatsu."

Kawahara claims the story is non-canonical, but he recycled so many ideas in Accel World that it's hard not to imagine AW as being SAO's future.

kyp275 2012-07-09 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako (Post 4247057)
Looks like Kirito's thinking, "Mmm, tonkatsu."

I have to admit, I LOL'd :D

sorry Porky-kun :p

Polarpew 2012-07-10 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyp275 (Post 4246823)
Aye, while AO and SAO share some similar elements, they're really two different kinds of stories.

its also strongly hinted that AW is the future of SAO timeline. By like 20+ years

kyp275 2012-07-10 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polarpew (Post 4247402)
its also strongly hinted that AW is the future of SAO timeline. By like 20+ years

Well, it's a fan-favorite speculation, but so far Kawahara has only given a not-very-strong statement of "not right now" :P

Leon_Lelouch 2012-07-10 06:49

yeah some fans would really think like that especially after seeing Kuroyukihime wondering about something when Haruyuki talked about "black swordsman" that he fought

Ray 2012-07-10 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polarpew (Post 4247402)

Strongly hinted? Not quite.

Spoiler for Sword Art Online, Light Novels, Volume 7-9 (it occurs pretty late in the series):

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyp275 (Post 4247404)
Well, it's a fan-favorite speculation, but so far Kawahara has only given a not-very-strong statement of "not right now" :P

I suppose that's one to interpret what he said in the afterwords of volume 10 of AW ("There is no clear connection"). Interestingly enough, the 3 people I asked to check it seem to agree in thinking the worlds aren't connected; perhaps they're just likeminded people?

From what I've seen, most people just want to believe the two worlds are connected/the same as a forms of justification for thinking that Kuroyukihime is Asuna and Kirito's daughter. Some of their evidence for thinking is so is illogical to the extent that it becomes somewhat laughable. I have no problems with speculation, but sometimes, fans just tend to go over the top with it.

novalysis 2012-07-10 08:48

Well, some speculate that KYH is an orphan.... just see the Asuna thread....

That's the only remotely plausible way.

Ray 2012-07-10 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by novalysis (Post 4247868)
Well, some speculate that KYH is an orphan.... just see the Asuna thread....

That's the only remotely plausible way.

Ha ha.. ha ha. -_-

That's precisely why I don't want it to be true; I hate having to see my favourite characters, and especially couples, die. And that's something I'm adamant about.

novalysis 2012-07-10 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphrah (Post 4247876)
Ha ha.. ha ha. -_-

That's precisely why I don't want it to be true; I hate having to see my favourite characters, and especially couples, die. And that's something I'm adamant about.

I'm sure we all want to
Spoiler for novel: