AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Suggestions (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Military/boarding school anime??? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=100470)

ClannadDango 2011-01-08 16:37

Military/boarding school anime???

I'm attending a military boarding school and there's so much stuff that happens here. I'm actually suprised I haven't been an anime or manga about a military school set in the modern day. I've seen a lot of the space cadet syfy stuff but that's not really interesting for me. Is this because there's no military schools in Japan? Even so I'm suprised someone hasn't written one yet.

If there is one though I would like to know.

jedinat 2011-01-08 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClannadDango (Post 3428778)
I've been a lot of the space cadet syfy stuff but that's not really interesting for me.

Well, I don't think you're going to find anything without science fiction elements...

Guardian Enzo 2011-01-08 16:51

The closest thing I can think of is Cluster Edge, which has sci-fi elements but a retro setting.

ClannadDango 2011-01-08 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 3428798)
The closest thing I can think of is Cluster Edge, which has sci-fi elements but a retro setting.

Cluster Edge? Okay I will add that to my list. I'm just really suprised there's no military school one since it appears a lot of Japanese anime focus on school life and stuff.

SeijiSensei 2011-01-08 17:07

Toshokan Sensou might come close. It follows a young woman as she trains to defend the freedom to read in a dystopic Japanese future.

Most boarding-school animes are set in girls' schools so the male otakus watching it can fantasize over the possible lesbian relationships.

jedinat 2011-01-08 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 3428821)
Most boarding-school animes are set in girls' schools so the male otakus watching it can fantasize over the possible lesbian relationships.

You almost say that like it's a bad thing. :p

ClannadDango 2011-01-08 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 3428821)

Hurm... Couldn't the reverse be true?

triskelion 2011-01-08 20:21

Would Valkyria Chronicles fit in this?

kitten320 2011-01-08 20:21

Really hard to recommend something without fantasy elements but have you tried Senjou no Valkyria?
It does involve Valkyria warriors towards the end and has some fantasy elements but over all the action mostly was down to earth with them using guns and tanks, do recommend you to give it a try.

ClannadDango 2011-01-08 21:39

Hmm I will check out all these shows. But what I really want is just a slice of life in a military school or boarding school setting in a modern, realistic world. I'm just suprised with all the slice of like, high school dramas out there they haven't made one like this yet.

Hooves 2011-01-08 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClannadDango (Post 3429302)
Hmm I will check out all these shows. But what I really want is just a slice of life in a military school or boarding school setting in a modern, realistic world. I'm just suprised with all the slice of like, high school dramas out there they haven't made one like this yet.

Because its basically either going to be fantasy or science fiction setup that they tend to add slice of life in them. Really hard to find an anime that involves a military/boarding school with slice of life elements from the modern era like everyone else is saying.

jedinat 2011-01-09 01:26

^ lol... and how is that helpful, or even relevant?

NoemiChan 2011-01-09 01:48

heheheh.....Simoun? Boarding? Yeah they're "boarding a ship" hehehehe:D

Kleo Scanti 2011-01-09 11:03

If just a boarding school is ok, and you may try reading Hanazakari no Kimitachi E. It is a romance/slice-of-life/comedy story about a girl who entered a boys' school to be close to her idol (which is an athlete). She pretends she is a boy, of course. It's set in a modern-day boarding school, and while it might be not very realistic, it definitely has no sci-fi or fantasy elements. There are also two live TV series based on this manga, one is Japanese and another is Taiwanese.

Shiroth 2011-01-09 13:35

Will second Toshokan Sensou. Great show that's truly worth your time.

qwertyuiopz 2011-01-09 14:39

toshokan sensou
theres a twist but its still military themed

ClannadDango 2011-01-14 16:34

Okay thanks for all these suggestions. Still with all the slice of life and school themed manga and anime I thought there would be atleast one, I'm even suprised the girl manga companies haven't used this idea.