AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question: Signature question (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=102214)

idiffer 2011-02-25 18:40

Signature question
 
my signature was deleted by a moderator recently because it was too long.
the rules say that it must be 6 lines long, yet i see pic signatures way bigger in actual size.
so what is the rationale here?

felix 2011-02-25 18:54

No rationale. That's just the arbitrary limit that's setup around these parts.

Sorry, but you'll just have to deal with it.

idiffer 2011-02-25 19:14

well , i'll wait for a mod to reply. a user with disabled rep gives no confidence at ll.

NightWish 2011-02-25 19:23

I can't remember what your signature looked like, if I ever knew, so it is impossible to comment reliably on your specific case. If I were to guess I expect it was because the lines of text you were using wrapped such that the signature was rendered over more than six lines or it extended beyond the expected visual bounds in some other way. As for other, possibly larger, signatures: if they too extend beyond the visual bounds, all I can say in defence is that we're not omnipresent. We may not have seen / noticed these other signatures.

I've updated the "signature preview" page so that it provides both the "normal" preview and an new constrained rendering, that should make it easier to check the size is correct. This feature has been available for a while, but only on the test style.

felix 2011-02-25 19:32

Awesome. Works great.

idiffer 2011-02-25 19:39

my sig was all text. yes, more than 6 lines.
i'm questioning whether the max size for image files in signatures = the size of 6 lines.

NightWish 2011-02-25 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by idiffer (Post 3505556)
max size for image files in signatures = the size of 6 lines.

Maybe, depends on the length of the lines of text. I've provided a way for you to check lines of text against the bounds applied to image sizes.

I forget why we opted for a limit of six lines, but as with all of the rules it was probably an attempt to balance different aims. In this case trying to avoid unduly limiting user creativity against the space occupied by long lines of text that wrapped, when we had no other convenient way of applying some easily understood limits.

idiffer 2011-02-25 20:06

well, if your check method is correct, i can fit up to 8 lines of text easily into that box. will you and other moderators have a problem with 8 lines?

monir 2011-02-25 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by idiffer (Post 3505585)
well, if your check method is correct, i can fit up to 8 lines of text easily into that box. will you and other moderators have a problem with 8 lines?

That's a valid point. While I can see the dotted rectangle in my own profile, I can't see it for other users for moderating purpose. I wonder if such constrain can be implemented for the moderators also to avoid any mishaps as far as the signature rule goes.

idiffer 2011-02-25 23:40

i dunno what nightwish did actually. i do not have a rectangle when i edit my sig. i only see it if i go to the link provided by nightwish.
anyway, how do i proceed?
btw, that sig is really funny))

felix 2011-02-26 03:44

@idiffer, the link provided is just the signature editing page. This place you go to "edit your signature" where you don't see the rectangle, can you copy the link to it from the address bar?

idiffer 2011-02-26 05:03

oh, wow. its there, its there. the rectangle is there. wow, epic fail on my part. and i NEVER noticed it before. that's weird...
i'm very sorry for the confusion.
but still, is the limit 6 lines or is it the rectangle? (for text only)

felix 2011-02-26 05:14

http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?...#faq_rules_3_0

Dist 2011-02-26 05:18

This is rather interesting. In rules it claims that 500x160px is maximum size of a signature without text. However, with this rectangle it looks like there is few pixels space to have actually larger signature than just 160px.

Personally I think 6 lines of text should still be a max though. It's a signature, not your life story.

felix 2011-02-26 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dist (Post 3506376)
Personally I think 6 lines of text should still be a max though. It's a signature, not your life story.

Unless the rules are explicitly changed, it still is only 6 lines; but you can try placing them in a image to bypass it.

The little box is actually more useful when it comes to signatures with text on either side. Probably a lot of signatures are over sized that use that technique.

@monir, just kindly ask NW to make a style (visible to mods only) where the every single signature on the forum is displayed in that box when viewing the forum. :heh: Then you can just change to that style when in doubt. However the overflow settings would need tweaking so that you can tell; or alternatively the signature and the boxed version of it can be both displayed.

NightWish 2011-02-26 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix (Post 3506394)
@monir, just kindly ask NW to make a style (visible to mods only) where ...

I use a stylish overlay for the member page:
@-moz-document url-prefix("http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=") {
#signature { margin: 10px; padding: 0px; border: 15px solid #e55; height: 160px; width: 500px !important; overflow: visible !important; }
}
...but the same is also enabled on the TEST ONLY style.

DragoZERO 2011-02-26 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by idiffer (Post 3505484)
my signature was deleted by a moderator recently because it was too long.
the rules say that it must be 6 lines long, yet i see pic signatures way bigger in actual size.
so what is the rationale here?

It's luck of the draw. I've been busted twice for sig violation, the second was because of misunderstandings and Photoshop's interface (still was issued a violation despite that), and I still see people breaking the rules all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWish (Post 3506661)
I use a stylish overlay for the member page:
@-moz-document url-prefix("http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=") {
#signature { margin: 10px; padding: 0px; border: 15px solid #e55; height: 160px; width: 500px !important; overflow: visible !important; }
}
...but the same is also enabled on the TEST ONLY style.

Might want to add something along the lines of fitting in the box AND following the rules.

felix 2011-02-26 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragoZERO (Post 3507002)
Might want to add something along the lines of fitting in the box AND following the rules.

Why? You want your signature deleted? :heh: j/k

Dist 2011-02-26 17:15

Well it really depends when people report others breaking the signature rules. I doubt mods here check every post to see if they break rules signature wise so you too, should report others should you see them breaking signature rules. Not sure if many people do that but I do it occasionally at least.

With that said DragoZero, do you not report others if they break the rules when you claim you see people breaking the rules all the time ? Because if you don't, you should. I think most just don't know the rules and don't bother checking cause well, I don't think it's very common to have rules like this. Animesuki is the only forum with rules like these regarding signatures out of all the forums I use, and there's quite many.

Konakaga 2011-02-26 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dist (Post 3507299)
Well it really depends when people report others breaking the signature rules. I doubt mods here check every post to see if they break rules signature wise so you too, should report others should you see them breaking signature rules. Not sure if many people do that but I do it occasionally at least.

With that said DragoZero, do you not report others if they break the rules when you claim you see people breaking the rules all the time ? Because if you don't, you should. I think most just don't know the rules and don't bother checking cause well, I don't think it's very common to have rules like this. Animesuki is the only forum with rules like these regarding signatures out of all the forums I use, and there's quite many.

Personally I don't like reporting people for signature rules since it's a bit easy to accidentally break it slightly with pixel, or file size usage. Though I do tend to send the person a VM, or PM to let them know their signature is larger than rules allows so they can change it [assuming it's not intentionally ignoring the rules].


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.