AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What if God was a woman? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=103551)

Archangel Roy 2011-04-21 20:02

What if God was a woman?
 
Or does he have a gender at all?

Urzu 7 2011-04-21 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archangel Roy (Post 3580656)
I've been pondering upon this question for weeks. How would the world be like?

God is neither male nor female. God is likened to a Father figure in the western religions because it is a male dominated world. So the question is, if it were a female dominated world, how would the concept of God (or should I say Goddess) be different, and thus, how would the world be different?

Archangel Roy 2011-04-21 20:09

Well, it was said that "God made man in his own image" I assumed he was male. But, I don't know. I was just wondering, is all.

Ithekro 2011-04-21 20:11

He or she likely has a sense of humor.

Urzu 7 2011-04-21 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archangel Roy (Post 3580666)
Well, it was said that "God made man in his own image" I assumed he was male. But, I don't know. I was just wondering, is all.

I wouldn't take that literally. Probably means giving humans his likeness in another sense, such as giving all humans a spiritual self that is compassionate and loving, and so forth. That is what I've heard as some interpretations, and that is how I view it. Plenty of things in the Bible that aren't meant to be taken literally, but unfortunately, are. That is my 2 cents.

Archangel Roy 2011-04-21 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urzu 7 (Post 3580675)
I wouldn't take that literally. Probably means giving humans his likeness in another sense, such as giving all humans a spiritual self that is compassionate and loving, and so forth. That is what I've heard as some interpretations, and that is how I view it. Plenty of things in the Bible that aren't meant to be taken literally, but unfortunately, are. That is my 2 cents.

Ah I see, I see. That makes sense.

IronWarrior 2011-04-21 20:23

If there is a life-form out there that has God like powers, then it could be anything it wants as befitting a God.

Therefore... I could be God or you could be it, maybe that Dog or even that Tree or an planet, anything.

It's a God... need to say more?

RadiantBeam 2011-04-21 20:43

If God is both capable of being a man and a woman...

Selfcest?

Asuras 2011-04-21 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadiantBeam (Post 3580715)
If God is both capable of being a man and a woman...

Selfcest?

It's called being a hermaphrodite. :heh:

delirium 2011-04-21 21:01

Haha, this is such an absurd question to pose! I am not a believer, and yet I am compelled to respond. To say that God is either male or female is foolhardy. How can be so naive as to affix a gender to such a concept? That is all God is for us right now, a concept. Neither male or female, but an idea. The male ego associated God with masculinity, but how much weight does that really hold? That a God would have a sexuality at all. It's workings would be beyond our comprehension. You must remember that we have lived in a male-dominated world for so long that it has polluted everything we hold dear to us. I believe that is proof enough that it is pointless to affix gender onto the concept of God.

But hey, whatever makes you feel better while you're saying your prayers before bed.

Archon_Wing 2011-04-21 21:14

Well, considering it was written from a male perspective, the bias is clear.

Of course, the nature of such a supernatural entity is beyond our comprehension, thus this question just isn't relevant. Basically, there's just no "if" about something that is uncertain.

But I'll humor the thread with an answer: Exactly the same

Evil Rick 2011-04-21 21:17

Quote:

2.8 Avoid flammable and cyclic topics

Please be aware that political and religious discussions often cause very heated debates with little give or take on either side. They normally start out interesting and sensible but degrade rapidly. This produces the same arguments repeatedly for pages and induces many members to start "flaming" each other. Such topics will most likely be closed unless care is taken to keep the thread both interesting and polite. Similar discussions, concerning the illegality of fansubs and licensing debates, may also be treated in this way.
Copy/paste from the forum rules.

Vexx 2011-04-21 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archangel Roy (Post 3580666)
Well, it was said that "God made man in his own image" I assumed he was male. But, I don't know. I was just wondering, is all.

You're reading from one particular male-oriented (patriarchal) religious text (which has undergone many translations and rewritings). There are any number of creation myths that postulate one or more gods of either sex (or neither sex) being involved. There's some archeology research that implies many early religions were female-oriented. And, of course, the J-C-I Abrahamic faiths are just one subset of the world's religions.

Here's a start point for exploring religions of the world and through history: http://www.religioustolerance.org/

synaesthetic 2011-04-21 23:11

God is actually Alanis Morisette.

:heh:

iLney 2011-04-21 23:25

Would be great! a boner while "worshiping"

GundamFan0083 2011-04-21 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3580804)
You're reading from one particular male-oriented (patriarchal) religious text (which has undergone many translations and rewritings). There are any number of creation myths that postulate one or more gods of either sex (or neither sex) being involved. There's some archeology research that implies many early religions were female-oriented. And, of course, the J-C-I Abrahamic faiths are just one subset of the world's religions.

Here's a start point for exploring religions of the world and through history: http://www.religioustolerance.org/

Agreed.
Allow me to add to Vexx's point that one of the greatest sages of the Judaic religion (Moses Maimonides) states very clearly in his book The Guide for the Perplexed that God is neither male nor female and is not anthropomorphic according to the Hebrew religion: thus the Hebrew God is an IT.

Of course if God were a woman...that would explain the mood swings in the old testament. :heh:

I mean the text says one day to God is equal to 1000 years...and the Mayan's thought that every 26,000 years things get nasty....I mean, I'm just say'n. :p

I know, I should be beaten with a stick...severely. :D :D :D

Vexx 2011-04-21 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 (Post 3580970)
Agreed.
Allow me to add to Vexx's point that one of the greatest sages of the Judaic religion (Moses Maimonides) states very clearly in his book The Guide for the Perplexed that God is neither male nor female and is not anthropomorphic according to the Hebrew religion: thus the Hebrew God is an IT.

Interestingly, if one reads the oldest versions of biblical fragments where they attempt to describe angels or God.... the descriptions are clearly very non-human, exotic, an entirely alien experience for them.

Imagine a biblical description (near stone age, agrarian or nomadic people) of a helicopter or a dragster. Whether you're a skeptic, non-believer, or avid believer - its interesting stuff. Not enough so-called christians actually *read* the book they wave around or study the history of their religion.

Evil Rick 2011-04-21 23:43

I think that God's appearance is incomprehensible for human understanding, trying to figurate out his genre is quite senseless.

GundamFan0083 2011-04-21 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 3581000)
Interestingly, if one reads the oldest versions of biblical fragments where they attempt to describe angels or God.... the descriptions are clearly very non-human, exotic, an entirely alien experience for them.

Imagine a biblical description (near stone age, agrarian or nomadic people) of a helicopter or a dragster. Whether you're a skeptic, non-believer, or avid believer - its interesting stuff. Not enough so-called christians actually *read* the book they wave around or study the history of their religion.

Good points.
I'm a firm believer in the idea that all "myth" or "legends" are based in fact.
What those actual facts are is a matter of debate.

Solace 2011-04-22 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Rick (Post 3580762)
Copy/paste from the forum rules.

I can bold stuff too. :)

Quote:

Such topics will most likely be closed unless care is taken to keep the thread both interesting and polite.
On topic: Imo, if God was a woman, the world would be a better place. Scientifically speaking however, gender is irrelevant to God. Yes. I used science to support religion. I so went there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.