AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Suggestions (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   NEED HELP!!!! Looking for philosophical anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=103828)

sadisticlust 2011-05-01 15:00

NEED HELP!!!! Looking for philosophical anime

Hello Everyone
I am looking for anime with a philosophical theme that also has some fantasy themes to it such as magic, superpowers, etc. Some anime's that I have seen that are in this area
Death Note
Code Geass
Evangelion

Raiga 2011-05-01 15:03

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika.

'Nuff said.

Also... Serial Experiments Lain if you can handle the mindscrew. Speaking of mindscrew, you'll probably be good with anything by Kon Satoshi (such as his only TV series, Paranoia Agent, as well as his movies such as Paprika and Millennium Actress).

Sackett 2011-05-01 15:38

Madoka Magica

totoum 2011-05-01 15:39

Madoka Magica

and of course Ergo Proxy

Guardian Enzo 2011-05-01 16:33

Although it has no overt philosophical themes, I think Mushishi is philosophical in terpearment. It gives you the magical element as well.

Sackett 2011-05-01 23:56

Katanagatari is a possible choice.

Aesthetic Shampoo 2011-05-02 07:50

...All this Madoka fandom is making me think it's overrated.

There's no magic in it, but have you tried Monter?

Haak 2011-05-02 09:48

I recommend:
Kara no Kyoukai
Madoka Magica
Casshern Sins

Reckoner 2011-05-02 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadisticlust (Post 3595465)
Hello Everyone
I am looking for anime with a philosophical theme that also has some fantasy themes to it such as magic, superpowers, etc. Some anime's that I have seen that are in this area
Death Note
Code Geass
Evangelion

Ergo Proxy my friend.

matrixdutch 2011-05-02 13:39

Kino's Journey
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Paranoia Agent
Kara no Kyoukai
Durarara!!
FLCL

synaesthetic 2011-05-03 00:09

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Darker Than Black
Bakemonogatari

... and I'll n'th Puella Magi Madoka Magica. :D

mecharobot 2011-05-03 14:40

Definitely 2nding Mushishi and Kino's Journey. Maybe Haibane Renmei, as well. I think these are very much of the show, don't tell types.

mukansa monkey 2011-05-03 15:31

Bleach! (no, just kidding, sorry)

Paranoia Agent and Kino's Journey yeah watch them.
Haibane Renmei and Lain are by the same people, both pretty awesome. Haibane isn't quite so philosophical as Lain. And I wish to protest, Lain isn't a mindscrew. After watching it four times and spending hours reading stuff about it online it makes perfect sense to me. (Okay it is pretty much a mindscrew, only one with a purpose and a clear ending. Unlike the train wreck that Evangelion turned into. Send me a PM if you want Lain explained, heh).

If your definition of "philosophical" includes "cultural commentary" you could try Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Dark humor, not really magical, but it's certainly about cultural issues. That's a bit stretching the boundaries of what philosophical means though.

totoum 2011-05-03 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mukansa monkey (Post 3598145)
And I wish to protest, Lain isn't a mindscrew. After watching it four times and spending hours reading stuff about it online it makes perfect sense to me.

Maybe we don't have the same definition of mindscrew but doesn't the fact you had to watch four times and spend hours reading articles on it pretty much mean it is mindscrew?

sadisticlust 2011-05-04 21:42

I apologize for responding late I have been busy. At the moment I am watching a series called To aru majutsu no index and its thus far pretty good it briefly touches on some philosophical issues. I will be looking into all the anime's that have been mentioned. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.