AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Playback Help (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   High-10 Video Issues (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=106881)

Dante of the Inferno 2011-09-14 23:12

High-10 Video Issues

I'm running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 laptop with the latest nVidia driver for NVS 400M. It's a Lenovo R61 with 2.4 GHz and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. I'm using MPC-HC to try and run a High-10 1080p mkv file on a 1280 x 800 screen. The file uses AVC and AC-3 codecs. I have CoreAVC 2.5.5 Pro installed. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the OP of the file. If CoreAVC is turned off, the video lags. If CoreAVC is turned on, I get artifacts.

Stranger still, I noticed that the video lags severely (even with CoreAVC on) if my Firefox 6 isn't running.

Anyone have ideas on how to resolve this? Should I try running an x64 codec pack instead?

NoSanninWa 2011-09-15 00:10

CoreAVC 2.5.5 does not support Hi10. It does not support Hi10 until 3.0.

At this time the best support for Hi10 is with CCCP. That's the only "codec pack" that I can ever recommend to not screw up your system and the best support for Hi10, so I really hope your system can run Hi10 with its help.

sneaker 2011-09-15 00:13

CoreAVC 2.x does not support Hi10p, neither in software nor in hardware (CUDA/DXVA) mode. Don't bother buying CoreAVC 3.x, because current hardware does not support hi10p decoding and in software mode it's not faster than its free competitors.
Download newest CCCP or try LAV Video.

/edit:
argh, too slow.

NoSanninWa 2011-09-15 00:18

It's interesting how often a question can sit unanswered for an hour and then two people answer it within 3 minutes of each other. ;)

Dante of the Inferno 2011-09-15 02:10

Oh wow, of all things, I didn't say that I'm running MPC-HC off of the latest CCCP. Should I try uninstalling CoreAVC, and then running the file again?

What's even the point of High-10 anyway? Today was the first that I'd even heard of it, and it's only supposed to be a couple months old.

NoSanninWa 2011-09-15 02:17

I was afraid of that. Go into the CCCP Settings program. On the first page you have an option for "CoreAVC" uncheck that. Above that for ffdshow video decoders, check the box that says "H.264/AVC". That will keep CoreAVC from being used without needing to uninstall it.

If that doesn't do the job, you could try scanning for spyware and ensure that your laptop isn't wasting resources. You could try LAV Video as sneaker suggests. It is possible that will run better on your machine. I've seen stranger things happen on Windows 7. It's massively weird that running Firefox will reduce lag -- I have no idea what to make of that.

If none of that works, then you are probably stuck with two choices: avoid hi10 or get a new computer. I suggest the later since your laptop is pretty out of date, but your finances might not agree with me.

TheEroKing 2011-09-15 02:19

Either get the latest CCCP or if you want to play with MPC-HC follow this guide.

http://coalgirls.wakku.to/?page_id=4611

Ravenblitz 2011-09-15 07:08

well coreAVC 3.0.1 is available quite a time ago if you want to buy...

TheFluff 2011-09-15 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenblitz (Post 3767358)
well coreAVC 3.0.1 is available quite a time ago if you want to buy...

Yes, but its hi10p decoding is actually slower than ffdshow's. And hi10p cannot be decoded with hardware acceleration at the moment.

cyberbeing 2011-09-15 15:28

What TheFluff said is very true, for the time being LAV Video in particular is considerably faster then CoreAVC 3.0.1 decoding hi10p. They claim to be hard at work coding new optimized assembly to make CoreAVC 3 faster than libav/ffmpeg solutions with hi10p in a near-future 3.0.x release, but until (if?) that actually comes to fruition or you feel generous enough to finance their endeavor, you'd be smart to hold off on the upgrade.

SeijiSensei 2011-09-15 18:11

For you Linux folks in the audience, the current build of mplayer seems to handle hi10 correctly. On Ubuntu, I installed the mplayer-daily PPA and updated mplayer with
Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:motumedia/mplayer-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mplayer

I tested using an episode of [Coalgirls] Yuruyuri release. It would not play correctly using the current release (3/24/2011) of mplayer2 built from source. However it played fine with the daily-build version of mplayer and the xv and gl2 drivers. I didn't try all the drivers, though it does crash VDPAU on NVIDIA, supporting TheFluff's observation about hardware decoding.

Maceart 2011-09-15 23:09

VLC 2.2 and above is the simplest method of getting Hi10p working.

Or you can download 8bit, not much difference in quality.

0utf0xZer0 2011-09-16 00:13

Fastest solution I've found so far is the the July 30th CCCP with output set to overlay mixer in the MPC-HC options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEroKing (Post 3767207)
Either get the latest CCCP or if you want to play with MPC-HC follow this guide.

http://coalgirls.wakku.to/?page_id=4611

I actually tried the MadVR setup listed there but it was substantially slower on my Thinkpad X120e test machine than CCCP using EVR, let alone overlay mixer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno (Post 3767201)
What's even the point of High-10 anyway? Today was the first that I'd even heard of it, and it's only supposed to be a couple months old.

Gets rid of banding artifacts and allows for smaller filesizes. Both of which I consider worthy goals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberbeing (Post 3767867)
What TheFluff said is very true, for the time being LAV Video in particular is considerably faster then CoreAVC 3.0.1 decoding hi10p. They claim to be hard at work coding new optimized assembly to make CoreAVC 3 faster than libav/ffmpeg solutions with hi10p in a near-future 3.0.x release, but until (if?) that actually comes to fruition or you feel generous enough to finance their endeavor, you'd be smart to hold off on the upgrade.

I'm really hoping the faster CoreAVC Hi10P performance pans out, my desktops can at least play the 720P Hi10P stuff fine (and I seldom bother with 1080P stuff), but many of them choke my Thinkpad x120E's AMD E-350 CPU - and hooking the desktop up to my HDTV takes a lot longer than hooking up the Thinkpad.

I tried some Mplayer stuff too because I'd heard its subtitle renderer is far faster than the CCCP one and I figured that might free up some CPU for Hi10 decoding, but in my experience it was also slower than CCCP at Hi10 on the Thinkpad. Not sure if I could get a better result if I knew more about builds, settings, etc., I'm pretty inexperienced with MPlayer.

TheFluff 2011-09-16 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 3768012)
I didn't try all the drivers, though it does crash VDPAU on NVIDIA, supporting TheFluff's observation about hardware decoding.

Using other drivers wouldn't have helped. Hardware accelerated video decoding isn't done with shader code that runs on the actual GPU core; it's done with a small, dumb and extremely limited video decoder chip that just happens to be sitting on your video card. No video card currently in existence has a video decoder ASIC that supports decoding high bitdepth video. Thus, in order to get hardware accelerated 10-bit decoding you must first wait until graphics cards that features such ASIC's are released, and then buy and install one.

SeijiSensei 2011-09-16 07:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 (Post 3768318)
I tried some Mplayer stuff too because I'd heard its subtitle renderer is far faster than the CCCP one

The mplayer team recommends this third-party build for Windows. In the past rvm released the best Windows builds and packaged them with the excellent smplayer GUI. You can still use smplayer with other builds, of course. Just download only the GUI here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFluff (Post 3768509)
Using other drivers wouldn't have helped.... No video card currently in existence has a video decoder ASIC that supports decoding high bitdepth video.

I meant the wide array of other video drivers that come with Linux mplayer, like the ones that use OpenGL. The standard "xv" driver works fine. I understand that current graphics cards don't have the hardware to decode hi10 and thus won't work with things like VDPAU.

TheFluff 2011-09-16 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeijiSensei (Post 3768638)
I meant the wide array of other video drivers that come with Linux mplayer, like the ones that use OpenGL. The standard "xv" driver works fine. I understand that current graphics cards don't have the hardware to decode hi10 and thus won't work with things like VDPAU.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying there.

Green² 2011-09-16 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno
...Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the OP of the file.

Without CoreAVC, what performance difference do you see when you play the video with the subtitles disabled? ...Noted specifically, scenes where karaoke subtitle effects are in use. From what I have seen of MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer and vsfilter under WinXP, they are terribly inefficient. The only working solution for Hi10p video playback, was to use SMPlayer with mplayer2.

sa547 2011-09-17 01:33

Just when I was planning on buying new upgrades for my PC (2004-era hardware can't play today's big-res MKVs, hence the upgrade), here comes this encoding I never heard of before. In that case, looks like I'll have to read the fine print before downloading until such time there's ample hardware and software support.

calorie 2011-09-17 02:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maceart (Post 3768268)
VLC 2.2 and above is the simplest method of getting Hi10p working.

Or you can download 8bit, not much difference in quality.

Where can I find this 2.2 version?

sneaker 2011-09-17 02:45

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/last/ (He meant 1.2)