AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Updated Signature & Avatar Policies Discussion Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=110299)

relentlessflame 2012-02-10 20:35

Updated Signature & Avatar Policies Discussion Thread

You now have greater power and flexibility for both avatars and signatures here on AnimeSuki Forum!

Highlights of the key changes, effective immediately:
  • Avatar File Size limit increased to 125 KiB (formerly 100 KiB)
  • Signature File Size limit increased to 100 KiB (formerly 50,000 bytes)
  • Maximum Signature width increased to 600 pixels (formerly 500 pixels)
  • Maximum Avatar width and Height increased to 125 pixels (formerly 100 pixels)
  • Simplified "must fit in the box" signature size limits; no more restrictions about lines of text or text+image combos

Because all of these changes represent an increase from our previous limits, you do not need to change your current signatures or avatars if you don't want to. Please note that restrictions on signature height or avatar dimensions (width and height) have not changed at this time.

For the complete details, please read the new wording of Forum Rule section 3, shown below:

3.0 Signature Rules
These rules apply only to member signatures. Users who do not wish to see member signatures may disable them in their User Profiles via the User Control Panel.
The Signature Rules are only loosely enforced. Nevertheless, signatures that violate them will be removed and/or replaced with a warning. Members who ignore warnings and keep violating the Signature Rules will receive infractions that may result in temporary or permanent bans. Annoying signatures, or those that break any part of the Forum Rules, may be edited or removed at any time without notice at the sole discretion of the staff.
3.1 Size Limits
To keep The Forum loading quickly for users who wish to see signatures, and to preserve The Forum's visual aesthetic, your signature must conform to the following size limits:
  • Signature Dimensions:
    All contents of your signature, including all text and all images, must fit in a space that does not exceed 600 pixels wide by 160 pixels high.

A "Size Constrained Preview" tool is available on the Edit Signature page in the Control Panel to help you ensure that your signature fits in the available space.
  • Signature File Size:
    If your signature includes one or more images, the total file size of all included images must not exceed 100 KiB (102,400 bytes).

Please note that the File Size limits apply even if you are hosting the image on an external image host.

To reduce bandwidth consumption and to ensure compliance with the above limitations, we expressly forbid any form of dynamic image that has to be reloaded each time it is shown, which includes "Signature Rotators".
3.2 Limited Advertising Permitted
Signatures are excluded from the advertising restrictions found in the Posting Rules, provided the site, product, service or event being advertised and the content of the advertisement complies with the rest of The Rules. If you are not sure, please ask a member of staff.
3.3 Content Restrictions
Please refrain from including any image or text in a signature that could be considered a spoiler, or is otherwise in violation of any other section of the Forum Rules. In addition, your signature may not use the [quote] tag, [indent] tag, [spoiler] tag, or any tag that hides some or all of the signature contents.

If you have any questions or concerns about these new policies, please feel free to post them in this thread. We hope that everyone will enjoy the flexibility and creative potential that the new limits will allow.

Haladflire65 2012-02-10 20:57

This is amazing, seriously! Thanks moderators, you have no idea how happy this makes me :love:

Archon_Wing 2012-02-10 20:58

Good change; I like how it's simplified to just "fit inside the box" for signatures so there's no confusion whatsoever on the issue.

Will it return an error message if it exceeds it though?

relentlessflame 2012-02-10 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon_Wing (Post 3999303)
Will it return an error message if it exceeds it though?

It doesn't return an error, since it's a visual (client-side) check only at this time. But, when the staff evaluate signatures, we will use the same sort of box to check for compliance, so there should be less room for confusion in the matter.

Archon_Wing 2012-02-10 21:14

Sounds good; guess I have some more space to work. ;)

Rayrah 2012-02-10 21:42

Oh wow. I wasn't expecting the limits to get changed at all. What a surprise; it simply leaves me ecstatic. My most sincere thanks go out to the people who made this change possible, and to the moderators.

Reverzer0 2012-02-10 22:09

a little test for today, i maximized the quality of my previous avatar and signature.

Currently used 81.4kb for avatar and 87.2 kb for the signature.

Hooves 2012-02-11 00:00

Oh yes~ Now we can expect some more customization from our Graphic Designers :)

mangatron 2012-02-11 00:49

Limiters disengaged?

Wow, my avatars were awesome enough at 49KB, I wonder what 100KB would be like.... ah, the possibilities! Twice the bounce! Thank you mods! :heh:

TheEroKing 2012-02-11 03:30

Thanks for this. Reduces the stress greatly while making an animated ava/sig.

Akarin 2012-02-11 04:55

Update, sweet, thanks relentlessflame.

Silvance 2012-02-11 05:20

Whoa. Seriously?

I was about to go to bed then I saw this thread. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for increasing the allowed file size for the avatars and signatures.

ninryu 2012-02-11 09:55

About damn time!
I'm so happy! :) Now we can finally have good quality sigs and avatars.

Akarin 2012-02-12 02:53

Mr. Admin, can you increase the Animesuki albums file size limit to 100KiB?

http://sadpanda.us/images/839981-3GPHAO3.jpg

I want to host my 100KiB avatars on Animesuki albums.
http://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?u=95382

Thanks.

NoemiChan 2012-02-12 03:12

Wow, this is pretty nice... I had a hard time compressing my avatar to fit the requirements yesterday and when I'm about to upload it ... here comes woah!! 100Kb?! Nice one!!!!

Kanon 2012-02-12 05:57

Finally! This is awesome! Animated avatars are going to be a lot less of a pain to make, and this is going to increase the possibilities by a lot.

Stiletto 2012-02-12 06:06

See, this is why we can have nice things. Updates.

Though I'm surprised it was this and not something else.

relentlessflame 2012-02-12 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost My Music (Post 4001447)
can you increase the Animesuki albums file size limit to 100KiB?

Yup, that makes sense. It should all be updated now, but let us know if there are any problems.

Spectacular_Insanity 2012-02-12 14:35

I like the "fit in the box" layout for the signature limit. I think it should eliminate confusion on what works and what doesn't.

I don't even know how many times in the past I got busted because I put a banner AND lines, heaven forbid.

Dist 2012-02-12 16:29

That fit in the box was previously there too, yet you still saw people with signatures that went over the box with text ... lol.